2015 BJCP Style Guidelines Released

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by dmtaylor, May 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Witherby

Witherby Initiate (108) Jan 5, 2011 Massachusetts

I'm waiting for this guy to write his more definitive book on farmhouse ales across Europe:
    http://www.garshol.priv.no/blog/305.html

pweis909 and ChrisMyhre like this.
  2. DrewBeechum

DrewBeechum Meyvn (1,021) Mar 15, 2003 California

We have an interview with Lars in the next book!

pweis909, telejunkie and ChrisMyhre like this.
  3. ncaudle

ncaudle Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Virginia

pweis909 likes this.
  4. Beer-Zombie

Beer-Zombie Initiate (0) Oct 16, 2007 Oregon

I think that's the White IPA category

jmdrpi likes this.
  5. southdenverhoo

southdenverhoo Devotee (415) Aug 13, 2004 Colorado

It looks to me that there's enough different in here that judges almost ought to have to re-certify. I don't compete anymore but, wow.

I like the specialty IPA classifications, I have to say, and I like the massive re-working of the various lager styles.

dmtaylor likes this.
  6. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Initiate (0) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Faults, off-flavors, and spectacular beers should be universal no matter the guidelines...as for style compliance...well, that should be an advantage for entrants since nobody is sure what that means now : )

The main thing the new guidelines will do is slow the whole judging process down for awhile.

dmtaylor likes this.
  7. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,069) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I did notice the smiling emoticon but that will indeed be a BIG challenge for some time. I personally stopped entering beers in competitions (quite some time ago) since I was noticing comments from the judges which were inconsistent with the style guidelines. I did not always agree with the style guidelines for all of the beer styles; for those beer styles which I disagreed I would not enter those styles of beers. For the style guidelines I agreed with I would enter beers and about 50% of the time the judges would make observations inconsistent with the published guidelines. After a while I came to the conclusion these judges don't know what is what and I stopped entering.

Cheers!

8. telejunkie

telejunkie Aspirant (242) Sep 14, 2007 Vermont

"A fruity, spicy, refreshing version of an American IPA, but with a lighter color, less body, and featuring either the distinctive yeast and/or spice additions typical of a Belgian witbier."

white ipa is just a hopped up witbier basically...not a wheat ipa which i associate with tropical hop character and relatively clean american yeast strain. Guessing most wheat IPAs could be entered in the american IPA category...but not sure where I'd enter one.

Beer-Zombie likes this.
  9. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Poo-Bah (1,857) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Society Trader

As long as judges are allowed to have style guidelines in front of their face I don't see an issue.

10. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (7,482) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Society

It seems like all the specialty IPA categories are just "a hoppier form of X style". Like Red IPA is really just a hoppier than usual Amber, Brown IPA is a hoppier brown ale, etc.

If they really want to give them official categories, it would seem to make more sense to be in the group of their "base" style.

LuskusDelph likes this.
  11. VikeMan

VikeMan Poo-Bah (1,989) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

I agree.

I've been saying that "Black IPA" is a silly, unnecessary category ever since people started using the term. I lost.

12. dmtaylor

dmtaylor Aspirant (225) Dec 30, 2003 Wisconsin

Whatever happened to.... American Stout? Oh, that's right, they exchanged the roasted barley for black food coloring and thusly invented the new "Black IPA" style. *snicker*

I wonder how many comps are seeing entries in the American Stout category these days. Heh... if your Black IPA actually has roasted grain flavor, oh my God, where can I enter this beer into another category, oh no?!

A bunch of horsecrap. Spade = Spade

SFACRKnight and jmdrpi like this.
  13. ryho

ryho Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2013 Georgia

Has no one actually read the thing since they released it? It's a good read so far, but there is a huge error on page ix, where the text goes from one column to the next.

>In previous versions of the guidelines, known as melanoidins, which are a subset of Maillard products responsible for red-brown colors (and, according to Kunze, are “aroma-intensive”).

melanoidins, interesting name to give to their previous guidelines.

SFACRKnight, machalel and herrburgess like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.