2016 Craft Advent Calendars

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Erik-P, Oct 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Erik-P

Erik-P (0) Aug 19, 2013 Canada (BC)

Saw that the 2016 advent calendars are out. European version. Saw it listed at $160, which is too rich for my blood, but curious if anyones thinking of pulling the trigger? I know a list was out previous years too of what was in it in case anyone was curious, but not sure where that came from...

2. LampertLand

LampertLand (972) Nov 2, 2011 Canada (BC)
    Society

Central City/Parallel 49 Seasons Greetings mixed pack contains an assortment of 24
    (355 ml bottles) 'seasonal favourites and brand new beers' , 12 beers from each brewery, including 5 that took medals at the recent 2016 BC Beer Awards , all presented in an advent calendar style package for $72.99 (that's just over $3/bottle)

Erik-P likes this.
  3. Derek

Derek (635) Apr 2, 2005 Canada (BC)
    Society

I bought the pricy one and opened it... I hate spending that much for stale beer. There were 8 that put in the fridge, the rest should stand up. I didn't take notes, so I'll forget before December anyway.

At $7 a bottle for European brews that I'd otherwise never see, it's not really a bad deal.

I'm not sure if I'll do the cc/p49, sure there's 12 unique brews, but there's also 12 from their regular lineup... So we're talking $6 a new beer, and they're all little bottles.

Erik-P likes this.
  4. Erik-P

Erik-P (0) Aug 19, 2013 Canada (BC)

got the p49/central city last year and was happy with it.. nothing amazing but a cool mix. Heard rumors Phillips wont be doing one this year

5. TeemuWPG

TeemuWPG (0) Sep 14, 2016 Canada (MB)

I'd really like to see a list of the CraftAdvent before I drop $140 on it.

The Craft Crossing calendar is a must buy for my beer friends and I - we'll be buying two and doing a bottle share this year, as we always do. I was expecting it to be released today as per the Central City Facebook page, but Manitoba apparently won't have it until November 12th. Really put a damper on my Saturday plans.

6. JonnyBeers

JonnyBeers (580) Oct 24, 2012 Canada (BC)

I've got access to the list

edit: just like this post and I can add you to the conversation

7. byronic

byronic (0) Nov 8, 2013 Canada (ON)

I'm a little of those of you out west who can get their hands on beer advent calendars.

Last year I participated in a local brewery doing the 12 beers of Christmas. It was a very enjoyable experience and I got a few nice beers out of it as well.

Hoping those of you with these calendars will post some pictures in the 'what beer are you drinking now' thread!

8. Mlkluther

Mlkluther (0) Sep 22, 2014 Canada (AB)

Superstore liquor has the European calendar for 125.

I'm still not sure I'm going to buy it.

9. souvenirs

souvenirs (0) Apr 18, 2013 Canada (BC)

I'm kind of thinking about just going to the St Augustine's event and trying some from the P49/CC one before I decide whether to buy it.

Erik-P likes this.
  10. TeemuWPG

TeemuWPG (0) Sep 14, 2016 Canada (MB)

I've been nosing around Untappd and come across some of the beers in the P49/CC advent calendar. For my own personal beer preferences, what I've seen makes me very excited to pick one of these up.

Bunman3 and MilkLeg like this.
  11. MilkLeg

MilkLeg (0) Feb 8, 2016 Canada (AB)

I just picked one up based on the fact that it's all seasonal\special release and calendar exclusives, rather than having 6 or more core beers that basically everyone has tried before. Probably won't check untapped since I like the element of surprise, but reading posts like this makes me even more happy I got one.

TeemuWPG likes this.
  12. JonnyBeers

13. Derek

Society

Really? I hadn't heard this, last year they had jerkface 9000, ISA, etc... Which I just didn't feel like drinking, and were probably brewed many months earlier.

14. JonnyBeers

I was also under the impression that the CC/P49 one is half new stuff, half regular.

15. MilkLeg

I think it the regular stuff means seasonal or released in the past but not currently year round. I talked to wordemupg who opened one already and he confirmed no year round stuff like Jerkface 9000 or ISA, although there was a new flavored Jerkface, so maybe they didn't get all that creative with it.

16. ChristianFinz

ChristianFinz (0) Feb 25, 2012 Canada (AB)

here's a question I'd like to ask you guys:

What would you guys like to see in an Advent Calendar?
    Also, what price point do you guys feel comfortable paying?

souvenirs likes this.
  17. Derek

Society

I paid about $170 for the craft calendar here in BC, which is a bit much. If it was all beer geek brews that you could cellar, it'd certainly be worth it. But at least 1/4 were under 5%, and brewed many months before December. That said, there does seem to be more higher abv brews than previous years.

18. JonnyBeers

Personally I won't ever buy one again, because I can drive across the border and back in less than 2 hours, pick up 24 pretty awesome FRESH beers I've never had for well under $100.

Again, I know this isn't realistic for everyone, and logistically it's impossible to package something like that for retail.

Now a 24 pack of imperial stouts from Europe, THAT I would buy.

19. LampertLand

LampertLand (972) Nov 2, 2011 Canada (BC)
    Society

The Spinnakers Advent Box contains 650 ml bomber bottles of 12 different beers, including several made especially for the package. As with other advent-themed beer collections, the names and styles of the beers haven’t been revealed in advance, and won’t be known until the package is purchased and opened.

20. yasky

yasky (0) Dec 21, 2008 Canada (ON)

Just gonna build my own with local beers from Folly, Burdock, Bellwoods, Great Lakes, etc. Kinda (AKA: not really) surprised OCB haven't gotten together to do one.

21. souvenirs

I'm guessing no one knows anything about the Maritime one? I just found out about it from a friend. The only description of it I could find online said: "The family of private beer stores Cristall Wine Merchants, Harvest Wines and Spirits, and RockHead Wine and Beer Market are releasing the “Merry Maritimer’s Christmas Craft Beer Countdown”. Featuring 24 beer and cider from across the Maritimes, with products from Breton, Boxing Rock, Bulwark Cider, Garrison, Nine Locks, Picaroons, Propeller, Spindrift, Tatamagouche, and Upstreet. Pre-order your $125 now, for pick up November 25th."

22. sdm9465

sdm9465 (0) Dec 23, 2011 Canada (NS)

I think they are just packaging a bunch of bottles / cans that you could easily buy individually.

23. cjbmcdon

cjbmcdon (0) Dec 22, 2008 Canada (NS)

These are just being prepped by the trifecta of private beer stores (owned by the same guy). They've been hinting at how many beers from each brewery/ciderhouse, but for the most part, have not released exactly which ones will be available. I think it makes for a nice pre-Xmas gift for a friend/loved one, but if you're buying it for yourself, I agree that your money would be better spent on grabbing those beers/breweries you enjoy/want to try. I am 99% sure there are no exclusive/rare beers in these packs, and don't believe there will be much savings. And if there's even one or two bottles that you won't enjoy, there goes any discount.

24. souvenirs

It's pretty expensive. I'll be sticking to buying by the bottle.

25. MilkLeg

Apparently Costco did a calendar this year with BC breweries and Alberta breweries. 24 473-500ml cans, I didn't even know there were 24 different breweries in AB/BC that produced cans of that variety. 90 bucks at Costco liquor store, apparently it sold out in a week. The store manager even had a list of all the beers in it but he threw it away by the time I went.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.