2016 Witch's Hat Fury for a Feast

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by tommyz, Jun 28, 2016.

1. tommyz

tommyz Devotee (420) May 28, 2007 Michigan
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

HEADS UP! WE WILL BE DOING THINGS A LITTLE DIFFERENTLY FOR BOTTLE RELEASES GOING FORWARD.

In an effort to get our limited bottles into the hands of our local mug club members, we will be doing a ticketed releases.

What you NEED TO KNOW:
    • Tickets will be available to mug club members only.
    • Bottle tickets will NOT be available to members who join after the tickets are released.
    • Tickets will become available sometime within the next two months
    • We will post only on our chalkboard that the tickets are available - no emails, no social media, just plain chalk.
      • You gotta be HERE to KNOW!!!!!
    • The tickets will require a minimum $3 donation, to be made at the time the ticket is received.
    • These tickets are non-transferable
    • You must be present at the time of acquiring the ticket (phone reservations will not be available)
    • To accommodate our out of town members a VERY small amount of tickets will be reserved for sale on Brown Paper Tickets after the tickets in house have sold out.
    • You must be present, with ID, at the time of purchasing your bottles.
    • One ticket will allow the ticket holder one allotment of bottles
    • Bottle allotments will be decided after ticket sales have closed.
      • This is to maximize the number of bottles going to each ticket holder.
    • The bottle pick up day will be Sunday, August 28th - THE DAY AFTER FURY FOR A FEAST
    Any questions, please email info@witchshatbrewing.com

2. Jmorey

Jmorey Disciple (321) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I get the reason for the changes, and making it more for locals. But even if I was more local, say 30 min away, that is a lot to ask people to drive there one day to come to the party, then come back the next day to get your beer... Just do it the same day.

just my two cents.

3. mike409

mike409 Aspirant (220) Jan 25, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Am i the only one who sees this as a good business move? you have to visit minimum of 2 times to get bottles which makes you more inclined to have a pint or 2 each time you visit instead of buying bottles one day and bouncing.

JasonR1975 and fishtremble like this.
  4. fishtremble

fishtremble Initiate (183) Jan 18, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I think this is the lesser of all evils that these releases have become. Way to go Witch's Hat while this may not please everyone it certainly benefits the regulars to your location and that is what it should be all about.

Nclohosey likes this.
  5. vette-ss

vette-ss Aspirant (229) Nov 5, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I don't think that's what he's saying.....he means the actual party vs. bottles. The party is Saturday, the bottle pick-up is Sunday. So actually it's 3 visits if you have to go get your ticket, then go to the party, then go pick up bottles. But that's no change really. Last year bottle pickup was Friday, and the party was Saturday.

6. Breaking_Beard

Breaking_Beard Initiate (67) Oct 17, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

"If you don't live very close, we don't want your business". That is all I hear when I read this stuff.

7. LambicPentameter

LambicPentameter Meyvn (1,473) Aug 29, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I hear "if you aren't close enough to be a moderately regular customer, we don't want you swooping in twice a year to buy our most special bottles and shutting out the people who pay our bills"

But I'm admittedly biased.

8. Orioles9

Orioles9 Initiate (48) Aug 21, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

If my memory serves me correct they used to do the bottles and feast on the same day but that'd be a cluster f now. I'm all about this and can't wait to get the bottles. It's awesome not being on the receiving end of the beer schlong for once. I don't see it as screwing the distant travellers as much as it is looking after their locals. Plus I don't want to hear anyone from the Grand Rapids area complaining... I'm jealous of you, daily.

9. Breaking_Beard

Breaking_Beard Initiate (67) Oct 17, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I totally get it, but I would pay for the membership and go more often IF I knew I could get bottles without having to guess when tickets are going on sale. I am an hour away and it is not feasible to be there every day waiting for an announcement to go up on the chalkboard.

LambicPentameter likes this.
  10. IntlDrainageCommission

IntlDrainageCommission Initiate (14) Dec 4, 2015 Australia

Anyone that feels discouraged by the new policy: The silver lining is that you can still in fact come to the outdoor party and drink as much delicious Night Fury as your heart desires in a community environment with fun, music, food, and merriment, just as it was intended to be drank - not traded away or getting stale on a rack in your basement.

I'm sure the charity for the entry donations are probably for Hospitality House once again, but it would be cool to see some of the proceeds benefit the South Lyon Hotel owners in their post-catastrophe proceedings to get their business back up.

11. bigleague

bigleague Disciple (348) Jan 11, 2015 Michigan

As a member who lives two plus hours away, this is a definite inconvenience. I only get over there a couple times per year; yep, it's mostly for the bottles. But it's also because I love the atmosphere and appreciate the opportunity to support an upstart brewery like this. It's an inconvenience, but so what? There are a number of reasonable approaches to take and this is one of them. I applaud the decision makers (don't have a clue who that would be) for doing their best to balance the various wishes/needs/demands of their customer base. My experience has been that they have been quite transparent, quite responsive, and very respectful to us, the customers. Based on my track record with them (an admittedly brief one) I have no reason to doubt that they will continue to assess the process and modify it as they see fit.

tommyz likes this.
  12. mike409

mike409 Aspirant (220) Jan 25, 2012 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Tickets for well water were on sale for over a week.

ojgio likes this.
  13. Sparty93

Sparty93 Initiate (142) Aug 29, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I understand the concern over inconvenience, but there really wasn't any guessing or random visits needed when Well Water tickets went on sale. There were mulitiple FYI posts in the assorted Michigan-based beer enthusiast Facebook groups on the day when tickets were released. I think it will be a pretty good bet that a local good samaritan or two will always post an update when WH starts selling these tickets. Actually being able to travel there on that specific day to get said ticket, that's a different matter.

docoman likes this.
  14. tommyz

Beer Trader

Did you non-locals miss this part of what I posted?

• To accommodate our out of town members a VERY small amount of tickets will be reserved for sale on Brown Paper Tickets after the tickets in house have sold out.
    you will have a chance to buy tickets when they go on sale...Also, the Well Water Release was one of the chillest releases releases ive ever been too..No one was sitting there complaining or yelling at the owners wife like they were before.

15. tommyz

Beer Trader

While I love where your heart is, but for me ,giving someone money who did have insurance on their building and are not struggling to feed themselves, I cant do...I totally understand the heart ache and saddness from it burning down...It was a wonderful place, especially for all the Locals..My Bro in law still has not driven by it as he has so many good memories from the place..But me personally would rather see what they are doing..And that is having the money go to people struggling to feed themselves everyday..

hopfenunmaltz, Zaphog and croush like this.
  16. vette-ss

Beer Trader

I was going to post on this point and forgot....have heard people have been offering up money to help rebuild and the owners are turning it down....it's a business, they have insurance, they don't need/want help from the general public to get things back up and running again.

17. CaRtIn

CaRtIn Initiate (177) Dec 14, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

As a mug club member, I didn't get an email for the well water release nor did my wife. We've been members since the shopping plaza days when we had to travel to Brighton regularly.

18. tommyz

Beer Trader

At the top in my first there is their email addy..Let them know you have not been receiving emails and im sure they will get you in the next one..

CaRtIn likes this.
  19. Orioles9

Beer Trader

I like how Speedway releases give you a choice of the charity to donate to. As a publuc school teacher I too often see the needy families with nicer cars, clothes, hair, etc. Than the hardworking families who are barely getting by. Its very sad. I also see the needy kids don't come in with snack (yet their parents have the newest phone) expecting me to give it to them (you'd be disgusted by what teachers make here so providing snack for 7 kids every day hits hard) and when they don't like the healthy option they throw it away. Not the case for every one but unfortunately it is a strong majority.

So for me, I'd like my donation to go to military families or for families who've had their world turned upside down in the small communities. I'd also not give money to the owners of the hotel, but I would donate to the workers whom are s.o.l and whom depended on the place. There were single hard working mothers there.

That's my two cents atleast.

20. the_King

the_King Initiate (140) Feb 14, 2013 Michigan
    Beer Trader

This is probably going to change the number of mug club members that renew this year. They have a very large number of mug club members for the size of the place, gotta figure a lot of those aren't local and did it just for releases.

21. landrewg

landrewg Initiate (185) Nov 11, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

@tommyz Is the price to get in the party still 5 bucks or $ plus cans?

22. Jerome1929

Jerome1929 Initiate (61) Sep 11, 2008 Michigan

No interest in bottles, but I can't wait for the party. This will be my third year and it's always a great time.

23. Ckoz

Ckoz Disciple (314) Feb 15, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Are we seriously complaining about charity donations? If you want to donate to the hotel or workers of the hotel cut them a check of your own. Problem solved.

24. IntlDrainageCommission

IntlDrainageCommission Initiate (14) Dec 4, 2015 Australia

no complaining, just casual conversation discussing it.

25. biga7346

biga7346 Aspirant (295) Jun 19, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Although hypocritical considering how much beer i have in my basement right now, still love this.

26. biga7346

biga7346 Aspirant (295) Jun 19, 2010 Michigan
    Beer Trader

CaRtIn likes this.
  27. tommyz

Beer Trader

I believe so..It says so in the flyer above...

28. landrewg

landrewg Initiate (185) Nov 11, 2008 Michigan
    Beer Trader

No, it doesn't say the price, just that there is a fundraiser and canned food drive. We always do both but just wondering.
    Breweries have been bumping up the price of their anniversary parties lately so I don't want to be surprised.
    I like the way WH does it with the donations. Anniversary parties should be free admission IMHO.

29. tommyz

Beer Trader

They do Charities..Always have...BTW, its not their Anniversary party...This party is about barrel aged beer and donating to Gleaners and Blessings in a Backpack.. I do not know What the charge will be...But in the past its been $5 or Free if you donate 5 canned goods (If memory serves me correctly)

landrewg likes this.
  30. ojgio

ojgio Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Well Water release was extremely easy for me and I work in Dearborn and live in Madison Heights. Stopped by about a week after tickets went on sale after work. Swung by Sunday after a camping weekend to pick up bottles and was out in 10 minutes. This method has been no-brainer awesomeness for me.

JasonR1975, tommyz and CaRtIn like this.
  31. tommyz

Beer Trader

Just about a month out! Im pumped!!! Cant wait to get these beers into my pie hole after tasting them this weekend!!!

32. Lazhal

Lazhal Aspirant (293) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

What ended up being the bottle limit at the last release?

33. Orioles9

Beer Trader

If the limits are modest like at well water I'll be stoked. It was only a 6pk per.
    Have tickets for this gone on sale yet? I was there yesterday and they weren't.

34. LambicPentameter

Beer Trader

They said on one of the flyers for this that tickets wouldn't go on sale until after the Michigan Brewer's Guild Festival, so yesterday is literally the first day it was even a possibility.

It's hard to compare bottle release numbers, because the Well Water release was for 12 oz bottles, and the last time they did the Night Fury variant bombers was a non-ticketed release that led to the creation of this new release system.

That said, the bottle limits for the last Night Fury release was 10 total bottles, with no more than 3 bottles per individual variant. It's more or less impossible to guess what the limits will be this time around, because it will obviously depend partly on production. But it sounds like it will also depend on how the ticket sales go. So the limit might be lower if they sell a ton of tickets.

Orioles9 likes this.
  35. tommyz

Beer Trader

Until they bottle, they wont know what limits will be...Will obviously depend on the yield on the barrels...

36. Jmorey

Beer Trader

Just just to confirm, no proxies for pickup, after you have already obtained a bottle ticket?

37. LambicPentameter

Beer Trader

Correct. They will verify the ticket number with the member name/number that it was purchased with and check ID.

biga7346 and tommyz like this.
  38. PrestigeWorldwide

PrestigeWorldwide Devotee (444) Sep 22, 2015 Michigan
    Beer Trader

I don't mind the idea of making the party and bottle release mutually exclusive. But what is the rationale for doing them on back to back days? Maybe to allow for out of state folks to stay overnight?

If you're going to make them separate then i say make them further apart. Not really feeling like making the trek to south lyon both days so now I may have to choose between party or bottles.

Jmorey likes this.
  39. Jmorey

Beer Trader

Plus the drive there to get tickets beforehand.*

*yes online sales were mentioned but when you emphasize "very" small that doesn't help much.

40. vette-ss

Beer Trader

But hasn't the bottle release always been on a different day than the party....Fri/Sat vs Sat/Sun?

• About Us

Founded in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.