2017 3-Way

Discussion in 'Northwest' started by sharpski, Nov 21, 2016.

1. stillill

stillill Initiate (124) Mar 6, 2016 Washington

More should be hitting WA shelves today and tomorrow

distantmantra likes this.
  2. distantmantra

distantmantra Savant (979) May 23, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

I got my four pack at The Beer Authority in North Seattle Thursday afternoon and they were sold out a couple hours later. Sounds like most stores got theirs on Friday and sold out immediately.

It's on tap all over the place, though. Had some at Toronado last night.

vurt likes this.
  3. John_M

John_M Moderator (5,493) Oct 25, 2003 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Reading over this thread always causes a real disconnect for me. Given some of the recent posts, I feel as if I should run right out and buy a case before it's too late.

However, the beer is literally on tap all over town (PDX) at present (I even saw it on tap at the MofC beer bar on SW Barnes), and truth be told, I've only ordered it a couple of times. I think it's a pretty good IPA, but most of the time there are several other beers on the tap list that I think are better (and so I order them instead). It's nice to have it around, as I always like having a lot of good options to choose from, but I doubt I'll exactly go into mourning when it's finally gone for good.

I guess because it's still really new, that's why there's so much demand for it? Otherwise, I guess I don't understand why every place seems to be running through their allocation so quickly.

TheBungyo and beertunes like this.
  4. derkruk

derkruk Initiate (141) Oct 22, 2004 Washington

Have you checked at Reuben's? They got 70(!) cases for the release party Saturday. It was selling well but it didn't look like they were sold out when I left. I haven't been back since to check. That probably explains the low quantities at other Seattle locations.

5. distantmantra

Beer Trader

3-Way is one of my favorite Summer releases every year, and I don't always want to have to go somewhere and drink it. That's why cans are nice. Plus they're cheaper. [shrug]

Reubens was sold out of cans when I was there on Sunday around 12:30.

vurt likes this.
  6. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Devotee (450) Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Beer Trader

Given current demand levels for the particular style of this year’s version, the interest/hype surrounding one of the very small and non-distributing breweries involved, and the (unconfirmed) possibility that they kegged a higher percentage than usual during this first run, I’m less astonished that cans have sold so quickly this first go-round—when sales are always apt to be their briskest anyway.

Nor am I worried. If the previous years are any guide, which they should be, sooner or later this ought to be a fairly widespread shelf 4-pack. And for the whole summer. Maybe I’m being too sanguine, but I’d give this whole dynamic another week or two to “normalize.”

NWer, sharpski and vurt like this.
  7. jarbroen

jarbroen Initiate (33) Jul 21, 2014 Washington
    Beer Trader

Exactly. When you stop seeking it you shall find it aplenty.

chinochino and EdwardAbbey like this.
  8. vurt

vurt Defender (620) Apr 11, 2004 Oregon
    Supporter

'Twas ever thus.

9. distantmantra

Beer Trader

Looks like everyone is getting more today. All is well with the world.

I noticed that the BevMo in Tukwila said they had 18 4-packs left on their website, so I stopped by and grabbed a couple 4-packs. As I was checking out some guy showed up and bought the other 16 4-packs. Wow.

shnsajax, NWer and ballardbeer like this.
  10. LockeNess33

LockeNess33 Initiate (175) Feb 2, 2016 Oregon
    Beer Trader

Bummer. Due to the style of this year's version I was afraid we would see this kind of douchery with folks gobbling up literally as much as they possible can and then sending it all over the country.

I'm curious ... what would you have done if you had gotten there immediately after this guy and he had bought up every single one? I've often pondered how I would react in this sort of situation.

:mad:

NWer, 66jzmstr and distantmantra like this.
  11. itracy63

itracy63 Devotee (436) Apr 20, 2013 Washington
    Beer Trader

It's unfortunate you can't just punch these people in the face.

12. distantmantra

Beer Trader

I would've been annoyed but left without saying anything, and then probably bitching about it online.

When I got to BevMo and walked up to the counter with the cans, the manager was all "Oh, are you the guy who called about those?" I wasn't, but that other guy probably was.

LockeNess33 and sharpski like this.
  13. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Disciple (340) Sep 11, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

If we assume that they're nazis--and it sounds like they are--it's perfectly acceptable.

woemad, Jaycase, brandonwnw and 7 others like this.
  14. zestd

zestd Disciple (362) Jan 18, 2013 Idaho

I support throat punches for Nazis and beer mules.

woemad, Robomunky, brandonwnw and 7 others like this.
  15. DamienI

DamienI Defender (601) Jul 23, 2014 Washington
    Subscriber Beer Trader

QFC does get Fort George though, however the one in Bellevue downtown wasn't able to get it yet. Hopefully at the least the taproom there is able to get a keg!

I picked up a couple of 4-packs from the Whole Foods on 116th after lunch that day, seems it was lucky I visited at that time.

16. crusian

crusian Crusader (738) May 14, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

So....
    First weekend without any. When's the next drop?
    Getting itchy

sharpski and vurt like this.
  17. EdwardAbbey

EdwardAbbey Devotee (450) Jul 13, 2015 Washington
    Beer Trader

Yikes. I know this was just a joke, and I am as opposed to the concept of beer mules as anyone, but does this not cheapen language and history more than a little, like almost every other time that descriptor is invoked?

Ditto.

18. jpbebeau

jpbebeau Disciple (340) Sep 11, 2011 Washington
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

derkruk and sharpski like this.
  19. Freshlike1980

Freshlike1980 Initiate (117) Oct 27, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

he's probably the one on BA with the highest beer karma

beertunes likes this.
  20. LiquidAmber

LiquidAmber Poo-Bah (4,787) Feb 20, 2009 Washington

Another wave seems to have come through Seattle. Probably one of my favorite 3-Ways, which is high praise indeed. One of the strongest long running series of collaboration beers I can remember.

vurt and catscadia like this.
  21. t4h2c0

t4h2c0 Initiate (66) Jun 5, 2007 Washington

I like this years 3-way and i know it is guna be slightly different each batch but has anyone noticed a difference between the draft version and the cans? I was at the release party at Reubens and the draft version of 3-way they were pouring was glowing yellow in color and had an awesome flavor overall so i was super stoke to try the cans. When i got home later and tried the can version and poured it into a glass it looked, smelled, and tasted like a completly different beer IMO, it was hazy orange not yellow like the draft version and the cans seemed to be way more bitter than draft. I like the first batch of 3-way draft version a lot more than the cans but its still a dam good beer, GREAT NOTION!!!! Oh well, thats my rant...

22. distantmantra

Beer Trader

I've seen variations between draft pours as well. Reuben's was yellow chicken stock while it was orange and hazy at Toronado. It all tastes the same, which is what matters. Probably the kegs settling differently.

My cans have been yellow chicken stock in appearance. They still tasted the same. Taste matters, not turbid opaqueness.

23. vurt

Supporter

Another data point: The draft pours we had at Fort George two days after the release were as orange as orange juice, and had a most rewarding bitterness.

brandonwnw and distantmantra like this.
  24. ChugChugPass

ChugChugPass Initiate (123) Jun 16, 2017 Washington
    Beer Trader

Grabbed the second to last 3 way pack at Bobs Liquor in Lake City.

25. brandonwnw

brandonwnw Initiate (132) May 8, 2013 Washington

Just had my first of the 4-pack. This is definitely in my top 5 of the IPAs for the year. So delicious and smooth. Nice work to all involved.

26. BuckeyeOne

BuckeyeOne Zealot (513) Mar 9, 2008 Washington

I'm going to disagree, but only moderately. I ordered a draft at our local alehouse this past week and almost sent it back when it was delivered. The appearance of this beer is non-appealing. It will be the only 3-Way this year that I order or buy --- more for the rest of you! After I finished it --- and I was pleasantly surprised to find a hop bitterness bite to it that I wasn't expecting --- I ordered a Fremont Lush (and another).

Now, these comments are to be qualified by admitting that I'm no fan of the NE-style hazy juice bomb fad. It irks me that I have to ask the bartender upon ordering these days if the IPA I'm considering is hazy. I've pretty much abandoned Cloudburst and Skookum at this point, but I didn't think I needed to ask about Reuben's, Stoup, Fremont, et al.

Also too, you kids stay off my lawn.

27. vurt

Supporter

Heads up: There's a brand new canning on the shelves of Portland, dated 06/14/17. Fresh and mighty tasty.

As my friend James says, "Get you some."

Edit: My wife picked up the 4-packs at the Tanasbourne Whole Foods, which is having a 20% off sale on craft beer.

#147 vurt, Jun 17, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    66jzmstr and distantmantra like this.
  28. John_M

Beer Trader

Is it all that much different from the first batch?

29. vurt

Supporter

Nope. Just fresher. And available.

30. TheBungyo

TheBungyo Crusader (767) Dec 1, 2004 Washington

Personally I'm not all that into Three Way this year, though I expected it to blow me away. I'd much rather drink hoppy local offerings from Structures and Wander.

31. beertunes

beertunes Poo-Bah (4,592) Sep 24, 2007 Washington
    Beer Trader

I haven't encountered it yet, but when I do, will buy a 4 pack. For science only, of course. I did see some Zima at Fred Meyer yesterday, so that will probably be a payday grab. For science only, of course and, a bit of nostalgia. I used to enjoy one sometimes as a change of pace "beer" during long sessions.

woemad, y2kawakami, sharpski and 2 others like this.
  32. shnsajax

shnsajax Disciple (354) Jul 2, 2013 Idaho
    Beer Trader

Did you get the grenadine to mix it with as well?

woemad and beertunes like this.
  33. vurt

Supporter

This afternoon I spotted some 3-Way with a canning date of 06/08/17 at the WinCo in Hillsboro. Rather surprising, since this WinCo doesn't usually get Fort George seasonals.

sharpski likes this.
  34. vurt

Supporter

I wonder if it still tastes the same. I don't think I've had a Zima since 1993 or thereabouts.

woemad, sharpski and beertunes like this.
  35. shnsajax

Beer Trader

Not to derail, but Wander just landed in Boise, and I still need to try them. This is probably the push i needed.

woemad, sharpski and beertunes like this.
  36. beertunes

Beer Trader

What Wander stuff ya seeing?

37. beertunes

Beer Trader

About 97-98 for me.

vurt likes this.
  38. John_M

Beer Trader

Not that curious myself. I absolutely hated the stuff, back in the day.

Still have my Zima Zucks T-shirt, and may start wearing it again if the new version catches on.

woemad, vurt, sharpski and 1 other person like this.
  39. sharpski

sharpski Champion (825) Oct 11, 2010 Oregon
    Beer Trader

'93 for me as well, the only time I had it (high school seniors can't be picky).

I only added that part because I hope it makes some of you feel old. :D

woemad, beertunes and distantmantra like this.
  40. shnsajax

Beer Trader

Think I have only seen 4 bottles. Shoe Toss, Global Mutt, and can't think of these others.

woemad and beertunes like this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.