Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

2017 ABR

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by HeadRetention, Sep 12, 2017.

1. fargofallout

fargofallout Initiate (130) Nov 30, 2010 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

In case anyone looks at this before going to the festival, I updated it one last time. There were a couple of changes last night when I grabbed the file again. The biggest change to this version, though, is release times. I didn't notice the column when I created this before. A few beers, such as Black Gold 2015 from Central Waters, have a specific release time, so that's now included.

brbe6 likes this.
  2. psychotia

psychotia Disciple (318) Jun 27, 2009 Minnesota

How was the fest? I saw 10K took best beer & brewery. I haven't heard much about them amidst the constant hum about MN-made NE IPAs :wink:

3. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (3,462) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

I would like to hear more about 10K winning best beer and brewery. They must have made some massive strides in the last 6 months since I was last there.

Benj68 and psychotia like this.
  4. MNAle

MNAle Champion (828) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Was there actual judging going on, or it this based on the votes of the attendees? If based on voting, I may not mean much wrt their overall improvement.

psychotia and ZAP like this.
  5. celtic33

celtic33 Initiate (122) Oct 22, 2012 Minnesota

Had to be voting by the attendees. Didn't they win Best Brewery last year, too?

6. Crazytrain83

Crazytrain83 Initiate (115) Feb 19, 2017 Minnesota

It was voting by attendees. They had a giant "Vote For Us" sign on their table. I had one of their beers, it was fine. I did not try the winner.

With all due respect, there is NOOOO way they were the best brewery there. Barrel Theory killed it. Everything at Wild Mind was spectacular. Forager brought 3 Sherpas, and no IPA's... but was still out with an hour to go. (Which probably cost them some votes) And Lupulin had standard and infusions of Hooey and Blissful.

Of course I forgot to vote... like I always do.

bluestem, JMN44, Benj68 and 4 others like this.
  7. eggsurplus

eggsurplus Initiate (153) Nov 30, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I did find a huge improvement when visiting 10K this past month from when they started. Definitely a fan now. Still surprised that they'd when a best brewery award.

8. Crazytrain83

Crazytrain83 Initiate (115) Feb 19, 2017 Minnesota

I hope my post didn't come off as a shot at 10K. It was intended as more of a toast to the others I named.

9. nogophers

nogophers Aspirant (255) Jun 28, 2011 Minnesota

10-K surprised me too. I tried one of their beers and it was okay. No way they're best brewery as they only brought a handful of average beers. Never a line. Ballot tampering/stuffing has always been an issue at ABR. There, I said it.

JakeJohnson, JMN44 and Mplsmetro57 like this.
  10. Benj68

Benj68 Initiate (25) Apr 9, 2015 Minnesota

DDH Rain Drops was outstanding, definitely my favorite beer. Indeed's Vanilla Espresso Rum King was a close second. Everyone I was with were all very surprised by Wild Mind, their lineup was great!

JakeJohnson and nogophers like this.
  11. EddieB23

EddieB23 Initiate (141) Nov 26, 2008 Minnesota

Founders is no longer considered Craft Beer by the Brewers Association (They sold 30% of the Company to the Maho San Miguel group of Spain) which is why they are no longer at ABR (same thing with Goose Island). Not 100% positive the MN guild follows the same guidelines as the BA but that is my understanding.

Boldbrew likes this.
  12. JMN44

JMN44 Aspirant (224) Sep 19, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Forager was out of beer at 3:00 when I walked by. I was avoiding the mile long Surly line for Cherry Darkness trying to hit some other breweries with small lines. I was happy I hit Forager earlier but they will need to bring more beer next time.

13. JMN44

Beer Trader

I wonder why Hammerheart wasn't at ABR? Does anyone know?

I know when Hammerheart opened they were not a member of the MN Guild so they weren't allowed to attend MN Guild festivals but they were at the last couple of years.

14. Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky

Ol_Johnny_Skippelwicky Aspirant (275) Feb 13, 2013 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

10K winning is very surprising, but I'd be curious to see what the percentage of voter turnout is overall. I'm guessing low. I always forget to vote and I think you also have to do so like an hour before the end. Could you use the app to vote?

Fave beers: Junkyard King Size, Purple Lambo, Sherpa Mexi Vacation, Coco Cocoa BA DSDB

nogophers likes this.
  15. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,526) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Another great ABR in the books, although I overdid it for the first time in years. Doesn't wisdom come with age?

Mexican Sherpa Vacation was fantastic, as was the old standby BA Silhouette. The surprise of the fest for me was the hazelnut/coconut DSDB. I find the base beer dull to the extreme, but these were wonderful. Maybe a new batch? Great Lakes Tripel Dog Dare was also great, & a nice change of pace.

Letdown of the day was Lord Bert's. First taster I had & there was nothing interesting about it.

googs509, nogophers and JMN44 like this.
  16. chucknorris101

chucknorris101 Initiate (124) Jun 29, 2015 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

Favorite had to be the Lupulin Firkin - Blissful Orgasm. My god. Second was the coconut cacao DSDB

17. user8991037426712693

user8991037426712693 Initiate (134) May 19, 2017 Minnesota

I'm right there with you. I got alot of alcohol heat which is not something I consider a desirable characteristic in a BA stout.

My fav was Sherpa's Breakfast Kit, hit all the notes and had an amazing mouthfeel. The Rum King variant was ridiculous as well.

Other beers that knocked my socks off: Blissful Orgasm, DDH Rain Drops.
    Was pleasantly surprised by: Junkyard Pineapple-Shake-O-Matic and Modist False Pattern with Pineapple and Vanilla.

18. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (571) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

But, ABR has never been a Guild exclusive event. Maybe if you are a Minn Brewery, and not a Guild member you get snubbed? Beats me. Kind of begs the question as to why Hammerheart isn't a Guild member though.

19. JMN44

Beer Trader

I think Hammerheart is a MN Guild member now since I believe they have been at WInterfest. I think this year's ABR skip is strange.

20. MNAle

MNAle Champion (828) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

Sometimes, for a small company, logistics are an obstacle.

21. TimJohnsonMN

TimJohnsonMN Initiate (23) Dec 24, 2009 Minnesota

Except Lagunitas and Ballast Point were there...

JMN44 likes this.
  22. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (119) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Guessing Hammerheart decided not to go this year. They posted on their facebook a while back that they were going to start being more selective on the beer fests they go to. Preferring to go to places where it was less crazy and they could spend more time interacting with people than just straight pouring beer the whole time.

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.