Dismiss Notice
Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Join us December 9th in Los Angeles for the ultimate throwdown of craft beer creativity!

Learn more...
Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Release 2017: Firestone Walker Luponic Distortion

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by thuey, Aug 29, 2017.

1. thuey

thuey Aspirant (217) Nov 13, 2015 California

Since the original thread got locked, there's no place to talk about my favorite year-rounder.

Rev 005: Blend of 5 hops, driven by Pacific Northwest Yakima - guava, mango, pineapple, orange, blackberry, green tea and Meyer lemon
    Rev 006: Blend of 7 hops, driven by Michigan hops - piney, dank attributes of these hops are transformed into something much brighter, with a racy citrus quality

and just released this past weekend:

Rev 007: Blend of 3 Australian hops - The primary Australian hop is loaded with this bright, citrusy Sauvignon Blanc character, and the other two hops round it out with classic Southern Hemisphere qualities.

“I always thought it would be a good fit for Luponic Distortion, but I couldn’t get my hands on it,” Head Brewer Matt Brynildson says. “Then I got word that a brewery had backed out of a contract for this hop, and I was able to grab enough to drive Revolution No. 007."

Hoping to get one of these cans! And is the reference to the Australian hop = Nelson Sauvin? Hmmm. Looking forward to trying.

ffOpusx and AZBeerDude72 like this.
  2. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Savant (987) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Supporter Subscriber Beer Trader

I will check this one out, I had all up to 5, maybe look to find #6 and then 7. They are always around my area so should be easy to snag. I enjoyed the others.

VABA likes this.
  3. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Aspirant (225) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Nelson is a New Zealand hop. The Australian hops could be Galaxy, Vic Secret, Topaz or Helga. Those are the big ones coming out of Australia right now.

thuey likes this.
  4. SmashAdams

SmashAdams Devotee (439) Feb 3, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Definitely Nelson and definitely gonna buy this one. I enjoyed the ones I've had (002 and 003).

CrimeDog likes this.
  5. Haybeerman

Haybeerman Poo-Bah (2,236) May 21, 2008 Colorado

Looking forward to that - Nelson Sauvin (New Zealand, not Australia) works well for aroma as well as bittering.

6. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,016) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

“Paso Robles, CA — The next release in Firestone Walker’s Luponic Distortion revolving hop series begins rolling out today with Revolution No. 007 a fresh iteration led by three hop varieties from Australia.”

https://www.brewbound.com/news/firestone-walker-releases-luponic-distortion-rev-007

The above article does not list the three specific hop varieties. Since all three hop varieties are from Australia this would mean there is no Nelson Sauvin in this version.

Cheers!

DonicBoom likes this.
  7. Haybeerman

Haybeerman Poo-Bah (2,236) May 21, 2008 Colorado

Galaxy would for sure have the citrus character, but I don't think any of them have a sauvignon grape character?

8. JackHorzempa

Supporter

I wonder if one of the hops is Enigma?

“About Enigma™

Cultivated through our in-house breeding program, Enigma™ is the newest flavour hop in the Hop Products Australia family.

Typical descriptors don’t work very well for Enigma™. Our formal tasting sessions have given us interesting terms like ‘Pinot Gris’, ‘raspberries’, and ‘redcurrant’, through to rock melon and light tropical fruit. We don’t feel that any of these are really adequate, but we do know that the flavours and aromas are irresistibly appealing!”

Cheers!

TongoRad, Hoppedelic and drtth like this.
  9. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Savant (970) Nov 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Can not wait to get my hands on this, and in 16oz cans....Boom

thuey likes this.
  10. SmashAdams

SmashAdams Devotee (439) Feb 3, 2015 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I saw Sauvignon Blanc and assumed Nelson but now I see they specifically say all 3 are Australian. Now I'm confused, why don't they just list the hops?

11. JackHorzempa

Supporter

Is keeping you in suspense good marketing?:thinking_face:

Cheers!

12. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (262) Jan 12, 2014 Utah
    Beer Trader

Definitely Enigma. I've used it twice and it's like Nelson minus the diesel. Probably my favorite hop and it's next to impossible to get unfortunately. Pumped to hopefully get my hands on some 007

thuey likes this.
  13. The-Adjunct-Hippie

The-Adjunct-Hippie Poo-Bah (2,536) May 12, 2014 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I'm having a 6 as we speak, canned 5/22. The hops have faded considerably. Seek it out if you dare but I'd wait and take a double portion of fresh #7 instead :slight_smile:

thuey likes this.
  14. thuey

thuey Aspirant (217) Nov 13, 2015 California

Your post prompted me to finish my last can of Rev 006. Mine was still tasting pretty good. Then again this was canned on 7/12, so that may explain why!

The-Adjunct-Hippie likes this.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.