Release 2017 Firestone Walker Parabola

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by raynmoon, Mar 22, 2017.

1. raynmoon

raynmoon Defender (687) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

[​IMG]

From Firestone's Instagram, releasing this Friday at Firestone locations, limit 12 bottles. Much nicer limit than previous years, perhaps they made more?! Also, has anyone else noticed the recipe change over the passed few years? 167 SRM to 103 SRm the passed few vintages.

2. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (373) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

It's not that they made more, it's because it's in 12 oz bottles.

3. raynmoon

Beer Trader

Last year they did a 2 bottle limit, however. Significantly more oz per person this year.

4. jageraholic

jageraholic Disciple (373) Sep 16, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

oh nice. i hope they made more and it's as easy to find as Bravo was in Massachusetts.

5. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Devotee (442) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado

Pumped! I'm sitting on a 2016 still, but would love to add a 12 oz vertical to try it against. Possibly my favorite beer, period.

Donco likes this.
  6. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (4,597) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

I'll be on the look out for it.

Cheers!

7. Harrison8

Harrison8 Meyvn (1,266) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Perhaps this will be my year to try it.

Geuzedad, alucard6679 and Jkolls like this.
  8. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (82) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Really didn't like 2016 at all. Hoping this year is more like previous years.

9. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Champion (858) Nov 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Grabbing this one as always. Cheers

M-14 and RBassSFHOPit2ME like this.
  10. CJNAPS

Beer Trader

I thought last wasn't as good as previous years, hope this years is better.

11. Prep8611

Prep8611 Initiate (134) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

My beer store has four saved for me. Can't wait.

12. vette-ss

vette-ss Aspirant (222) Nov 5, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Just curious....how hard will this be to get in the CA market? Planning my first trip there week after Easter and FW is on my to-visit list. Would like to pick some of this (and other FW boxed beers) up if possible. Coming in with a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, leaving with a full baggage of beer.

13. KevSal

KevSal Savant (908) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

website said its a blend of whiskeys including pappy van winkle. Is that always or just this year?

with the new format, i plan to kill quite a lot of this guy for sure, i cant wait

14. Ricelikesbeer

Ricelikesbeer Devotee (442) Nov 29, 2006 Colorado

Here is the website info for the blend this year:

Parabola
    Russian Imperial Stout
    March 25, 2017 Release
    Parabola is a beer of darkness and immensity, a barrel-aged beast that is routinely ranked as one of the top beers in the world. This Russian imperial oatmeal stout is aged for a full year in a blend of bourbon barrels from Elijah Craig, Four Roses, Pappy Van Winkle, Woodford Reserve and Buffalo Trace, developing flavors of rich, chewy roasted malts, charred oak and bourbony vanilla. Parabola bares its teeth with its impenetrable black hue and soaring alcohol, yet its bite remains refined with a silky, balanced finish.

I have a 2016 and I'm pretty sure it was the same blend of barrels but would have to check.

KevSal likes this.
  15. JayWhitson

JayWhitson Devotee (422) Feb 25, 2015 Montana
    Beer Trader

...and it's over 14% so none for Montana :mad::mad::mad:

16. rypkr

rypkr Zealot (578) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

What are the 12% bottles expected to go for price wise?

17. JayORear

JayORear Zealot (551) Feb 22, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Saturday, not Friday.

raynmoon likes this.
  18. BWood

BWood Zealot (509) Jan 4, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Its pretty easy to get in CA. Just make the rounds to different stores.

vette-ss and Alex_Awesome_H like this.
  19. Alex_Awesome_H

Alex_Awesome_H Initiate (130) Jan 2, 2016 Illinois
    Beer Trader

To add, go to any FW brewpubs/breweries (like in Santa Monica) and youll find plenty of their beers in boxes including vintages in good supply. They make a lot of their beer and would visit their pub if you get a chance.

BWood, vette-ss and raynmoon like this.
  20. raynmoon

Beer Trader

Yep Yep. I visited the Paso Robles Brewery during the summer last year and they had every Proprietor's bottle for sale, including Rye Double DBA. They were mostly limit 1, except for Helldorado, which had just been released.

BWood and vette-ss like this.
  21. vette-ss

vette-ss Aspirant (222) Nov 5, 2014 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Thanks everyone, that is what I was hoping to hear. For sure hitting the Venice location, but may drive up to the Buellton/Barrelworks location if time allows.

ebin6 likes this.
  22. Tim725

Tim725 Disciple (340) Mar 8, 2014 New Jersey

Thats weird! I thought the opposite. The first time I had Parabola was the 2015 version and I thought it was ... good .. but not worth the hype. Than I had last years and thought it was fantastic. Wonder if there are consistency issues or something... Or just different tastes here which would also explain :)

CJNAPS, JayORear and SteveD082791 like this.
  23. KevSal

Beer Trader

9.99..hopefully

JayORear likes this.
  24. JayORear

Beer Trader

I would suggest different tastes/palates . . . I'd be hard pressed to call any year of Parabola "bad."

25. jrnyc

jrnyc Champion (844) Mar 21, 2010 New York
    Beer Trader

The FW BA aged beers are the epitome of class, love them.

26. JayORear

Beer Trader

Confirmed, at least at the FW locations. Limit 12.

KevSal likes this.
  27. KevSal

Beer Trader

now lets see if that price reminds near me haha

got my fingers crossed for costco ;)

PaulStoneAnchor and keithmurray like this.
  28. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (315) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

People like it, and then the next year get another, and don't drink it soon enough. I know someone will come in and say I'm wrong, but the FW BA'd beers are best served with a few months of bottling. They don't go bad or anything, but they lose a little pop after 6+ months (although I'm not scared of some heat and some prefer "smooth").

SteveD082791, harbinger and Tim725 like this.
  29. ernh

ernh Initiate (145) Jun 10, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I felt like almost across the board the 2015 boxed releases were more bourbon forward than 2014 and then 2016 they dialed the bourbon way back again, so I'd describe it as more a preference issue than a quality issue.

30. esktime

esktime Devotee (448) Jan 21, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Sorry...........but not liking a 12 ounce bottle of Parabola.........

LumpkinBrews, Mbo108 and bgold86 like this.
  31. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Savant (993) Sep 3, 2008 California

I'd like it more as a 4-pack with no F'n box.

SteveD082791, rronin, Leolo and 12 others like this.
  32. Satchboogie

Satchboogie Savant (965) Oct 16, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

MSRP = a $40 4-pack. I love FW, but that's just a stupid price point. I can order lambic, from Belgium, including shipping, for less per ounce. And you can't tell me Parabola is a more complicated to make beer...

SFACRKnight, alucard6679 and Brent212 like this.
  33. raynmoon

Beer Trader

It's not a 4-pack. And maybe you should ask firestone about their overhead and process to understand the price. $10 for a 12 oz world class 14% abv stout is pretty normal, honestly.

34. jakecattleco

Never said the price of 10/bottle would scale IF they were to put it into 4-pack format. But I'd be all over a 4-pack/$30...that'd beat 2 bombers at $16/each given the greater flexibility in serving/consumption volume. New Alesmith 16oz cans of Speedway are going for $8, so $7.50/bottle in a 4-pack seems fair...one can wish right?

35. Satchboogie

Satchboogie Savant (965) Oct 16, 2010 New Hampshire
    Beer Trader

In the current US market, I can't argue with supply and demand. But when KBS is a $20 4-pack MSRP, BCBS used to be that, Lagunitas Hi-westified was under $14 a 6-pack, SMS under $20 a 4-pack... i'm just not psyched about spending twice as much on a comparable beer. And it's not as if FW is some tiny brewpub that can't employ at least basic factors of scale...

I have the same grip with guys like Trillium. I'll drive an extra 200 hundred miles to Alchemist and end up with more beer, plus gas, and spend less. Every time.

GetMeAnIPA, keithmurray and ebin6 like this.
  36. jakecattleco

TETO. I'd never consider putting Parabola and High Westified in the same tier, HW was good and well-priced but not Parabola quality for my palate. I've never had SMS so can't comment on the fairness of that comparison. The KBS and BCBS seems appropriate, and I'd love to see FW match that 4-pk format and price point. But just because they choose not to, doesn't mean I'm going to boycott Parabola. Especially when for my palate I find it better than both. I'll happily buy far less BCBS to continue to buy Parabola. And I'm not driving to get any of these, so shelf availability means a lot to me.

37. CJNAPS

Beer Trader

It's good enough for me to make sure I buy it every year hahaha cheers

Tim725 likes this.
  38. Todd

Todd Founder (5,344) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Subscriber

I'm tired of bombers and 750mL bottles, so I love the new bottle format. But I loved the vertical on tap at The Propagator more.

Saw quite a few people buying cases and then coming in for a vertical. Sounds like there's plenty left, too.

39. coquet

coquet Initiate (65) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Would love to hear your thoughts on the different vintages. I've got bottles of '15 and '16 I was planning on opening soon, and I'm hoping to score some '17 soon too.

40. KansasBeerLover

KansasBeerLover Disciple (336) Feb 16, 2009 Kansas

For a $13 12 oz. bottle I was sorely disappointed. They have priced their beer out of my pocket's range.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe