Dismiss Notice
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

2018 Beer Club Renewals

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by UnknownKoger, Sep 14, 2017.

1. Miruguy

Miruguy Aspirant (204) Nov 22, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

You'll be glad you did - I was really happy with everything I got from them but ended up not renewing last year because I wanted to try Cellador. Apparently, Libertine has some quality control issues, but I didn't experience any of that first hand.

thuey likes this.
  2. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (228) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

they are distro'ing more to LA
    i have a ton of friends in the membership and each member release they can get extras on
    I have a few other sour memberships, so I needed to prioritize

its a great society with great beer and you should 100% split with your buddy! all the beers are great, specially if you love pastry sours.

BeerZombies1 and asong_net like this.
  3. BeerBaron666

BeerBaron666 Aspirant (258) May 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

dropped Bruery reserve.
    Upgraded to Theory of leisure committee

SDReaper likes this.
  4. JeffTD

JeffTD Aspirant (218) Jul 27, 2013 California
    Subscriber

Fair enough. I love their sour stouts/porters and the true BA sours they do; not a fan of the non-sours or kettles, so luckily the membership trends towards the latter. Their new location is worth a visit if you're nearby, and if it really ends up being terrible then Indie is right across the street to wash the taste out.

5. R1c0rtez

R1c0rtez Initiate (130) Oct 5, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

Renewing: MT League

Joining
    : Cellador (tier 1) , splitting Casa Agria

6. BreweryRun

BreweryRun Zealot (508) Feb 22, 2013 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Moving up to Theory of Leisure. That is all.

bungletrpg, BeerZombies1 and SDReaper like this.
  7. awald

awald Initiate (37) Aug 15, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Anyone get a screenshot of the details on the Lost Abbey Sinner's Club (they took it down from their website) or information on it other than whats posted on their Instagram? Also, does anyone know how the beers will be released (ex. quarterly)? Thanks

KevSal likes this.
  8. Bum4ever

Bum4ever Devotee (410) Jan 18, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

Didn't save the details, but I did sign-up.
    It will be first first beer club, but I'm splitting it.

Also going solo on a bruery reserve stout membership.

KevSal likes this.
  9. awald

Beer Trader

I opted in for Lost Abbey membership. First club. Pretty stoked.

KevSal likes this.
  10. PG2G

PG2G Devotee (496) Dec 26, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I don't have it but it did say quarterly

awald likes this.
  11. Javier2000

Javier2000 Initiate (197) Nov 28, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Renewing:
    MT League
    H24 (Last year was a complete 180 of their previous year)

Leaving:
    Bruery Reserve

Considering:
    Abnormal

12. Justinsosmart

Justinsosmart Disciple (313) May 14, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

-13x 750ml Bottles including 2x each of 2018 Cable Car, 2018 24 Steps, Veritas Peach and one additional barrel-aged blend currently being worked on exclusively for the club. Also included will be Veritas Kriek, Amazing Grace, Bourbon Aged Serpent’s Stout and a new Sinner’s Blend.

-Included in membership is first right to purchase Duck Duck Gooze in 2019.

-Additional Bottles will also be available for purchase for each release. The quantity of additional bottles will vary depending on total cases created for each release.

-Membership includes 10% off of any purchase in the Tasting Room or online at LostAbbey.com (with Membership Card)

-Limited Sinner’s and Saint’s Glassware

-First right of acceptance for 2019 Renewal

-Option to pick-up beer at San Marcos Tasting room or shipped within the state of California (at additional cost)

-Proxy pickups as well as a proxy shipping destination (within state of California) will be allowed.

-Cost - $399 +tax (Non-Refundable)

BeersandBread and awald like this.
  13. awald

Beer Trader

Thank you!

14. wolf13

wolf13 Aspirant (206) Dec 11, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

I joined up this year after skipping last year. So far the customer service has been head and shoulders above when I was last a member... mainly that they returned two of my emails within a reasonable amount of time!

FrogOut69 and Yabu like this.
  15. biggied

biggied Aspirant (227) Sep 12, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Keeping: Hoarders (Split), MT Theory, Casa Agria, Rare Barrel
    Dropping: Mikkeller
    Adding: Wild Barrel, Lost Abbey

16. DaltonCastle

DaltonCastle Initiate (167) Apr 24, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

Joining- Modern Times League

Leaving- Bruery Reserve Society

17. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (629) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

UPDATED LIST

(Still) Leaving: Rare Barrel

Keeping: None

Joined: Casa Agria, Cellador, MT League (all shared) and HPB Beer Friends

2018 is going to be epic(ally expensive af)

asong_net likes this.
  18. UKFANNPACNW

UKFANNPACNW Initiate (127) Dec 5, 2016 Idaho
    Beer Trader

Joining: Bombastic Brewing

Looking forward to lots of good beers!
    Cheers

19. sgudino

sgudino Initiate (143) Apr 15, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

I have to ask..is Casa Agria worth it coming from San Diego?

I was in the (MT) League for this past year, but found myself burning out on their BA stouts.

I wouldn't mind driving up to Casa, but are their beers (including canned IPAs) worth it? I know they allow shipping, but for some reason, I dont like that idea.. and would rather drive

20. Rbarnes4381

Rbarnes4381 Initiate (190) Oct 29, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

I live 25 mins from casa, I love their beers but wouldn’t drive 4 hours to get them. I wouldn’t make monthly trips for their ipas even though they are great, but there also isn’t any beer I would drive 4 hours for, but that’s just me.

21. Hype_Train

Hype_Train Initiate (167) Feb 8, 2017 California

Renewing: Bruery RS (split)
    Dropped: None

Nothing else really catches my eye or specifically my wallet thats worth dropping a dime on..maybe HpB one day might do a membership, just maybe... le sighh :no_mouth:

22. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (227) May 2, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

I'm completely content with current format for HPB haha

SoCalBeerIdiot likes this.
  23. micahburns

micahburns Initiate (165) Oct 2, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Anyone have any Bottlecraft Lock and Key reviews? Seems interesting, but haven’t heard any info on whether it’s worth it or not.

24. IPA_Lush

IPA_Lush Initiate (128) May 28, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

I had it last year and just re-upped for next year. I like it. Last year it was $200 and this year it is $225. You get an allotment of beer each quarter. I always felt that if I get roughly $50 bucks of good beer each time, I'm fine with it. And that has happened. I have received Bottle Logic, Russian River, Jester King, Beachwood and other bottles that I have been happy with.

The other perks are just icing on the cake. 10% off on drafts has saved me maybe $25-$30 this year. The special members only taps are terrific (we had FO on tap for several days before it was opened to the public). And the members only store has put very solid beers in my hands for little effort.

My only small gripe was I wish that they would have had a members only type event this year for us to meet/socialize with our fellow club enthusiasts. Maybe some special taps, etc. So hopefully that will occur next year.

25. micahburns

micahburns Initiate (165) Oct 2, 2008 California
    Beer Trader

Sounds good. Thanks

IPA_Lush likes this.
  26. KevSal

KevSal Savant (955) Oct 17, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

left: hoarders

added to the waitlist of lost abbey 2019, and still hoping for hta sra invite (going on 4 years now)

im really impressed by the amount of folks that mentioned cellador here, haven't had any of their beers, seems to me i need to check it out

dontmentionit likes this.
  27. allroy

allroy Initiate (134) Nov 11, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Keeping: Cellador (up to tier 4)
    Leaving: Bruery Reserve Society
    Joining: MT League

R1c0rtez, Dka67 and BeerBaron666 like this.
  28. tokimedo

tokimedo Aspirant (228) Feb 28, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

yes you absolutely need to.

KevSal and dontmentionit like this.
  29. Black_Rider

Black_Rider Zealot (509) Mar 26, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

can you elaborate on that a bit? what is better now?

30. Javier2000

Beer Trader

It was infinitely better. First off lets talk about the plastic cup-ware. GONE. Almost every-time I visited there were good to great options for Member only selections in-house. The Bottles this year that weren't Pugachev or variants were better than the previous year. Communication between the Brewer and Member was also vastly improved and often very easy to deal with and a very quick turnaround. Just in general an overall better experience and something that kept me for next year and probably years to come. Can't say the same about Bruery and if MT LA fails to deliver - I will probably drop them next year.

Black_Rider likes this.
  31. StoutSnob40

StoutSnob40 Poo-Bah (1,724) Jan 4, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Lost Abbey

Considering:
    Abnormal

32. jwacky

jwacky Initiate (114) Apr 13, 2017 California

I think the dust has settled.

Considered but couldn't quite pull the trigger: CASA

Considered very briefly but decided against, even though it's not even open: Abnormal

Most likely dropping: Mikkeller Viking (may split it when renewals come around).

33. Javier2000

Beer Trader

What is the reason for considering dropping Viking? Was it not worth the price or the membership itself not very good or organized well?

34. jwacky

jwacky Initiate (114) Apr 13, 2017 California

Well, the main reason is because I've now signed up for these three other clubs. Only so much beer money to go around. I see myself spending quite a bit at MT with their exclusive fills and at Bottlecraft with early access to stuff.

As for the club itself - it got off to a pretty rocky start this year, IMO, although it has really turned around lately at least with regards to communication. The two things that are keeping me from considering renewing at this point: 1) the member bottles 2) the lack of any exclusivity

1) The bottles haven't been anything crazy, IMO. Not that everything will appeal to everyone, but I wouldn't be feeling like I was "missing out" on any of them so far.

2) There is really no sense of exclusivity. Yes, they claim member only crowler fills, but so far ones designated as such are only members only for a few days, maybe a week. After that, open to everyone. Early pick up of cans have been nice and they've recently opened web shop up to in-store pick ups (albeit VERY short pickup window), but almost all of the more sought after releases have lasted well in to the weekend. Maybe it's just burnout from the weekly releases, but it's been a month or so since I've purchased any of their IPAs. Going back to Bottlecraft early access (and locker storage, so I can pick up at my convenience), I see myself spending even less at Mikkeller.

Hope that helps. It's really not a bad deal at $200 because you get 15% off every purchase, so it could literally pay for itself if you shop there enough. I will most likely end up splitting it with others for the discount.

tonystarks, micahburns and Javier2000 like this.
  35. awald

Beer Trader

DMS81, PG2G and micahburns like this.
  36. Thomascarroll

Thomascarroll Initiate (112) Mar 18, 2015 California

Keeping: rare barrel (like many have said they need to step it up in 2018)
    Bruery Reserve (moving to a split membership this year though)

Joining: modern times (they’re making all the right moves IMO)

37. PG2G

PG2G Devotee (496) Dec 26, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

I thought rare barrel really stepped it up in 2017. The beer has been much better than 2016.

thuey likes this.
  38. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Aspirant (227) May 2, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

Last year was the year of the recycle, between blends of ensorcelled, MOTM introduction, and second use barrels.

Justinsosmart likes this.
  39. kdub15

kdub15 Initiate (105) Thursday California

SourPatchKeg and Dka67 like this.
  40. caseyoharaa

caseyoharaa Disciple (341) Nov 15, 2009 California
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Ok. I'll play along.

Keeping: Superstition Guild

Four Fires Family
    Lost Abbey(splitting)

Dropped: Good Beer Company Stable
    Modern Times League

• About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.