Release 2018 Dogfish Head Release Calendar

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Lazhal, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Lazhal

Lazhal Disciple (370) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

https://www.dogfish.com/blog/2018-beer-release-calendar

Some notables that make it sound like an interesting year for beer:

Mixed Media - May - September
    With 50.1% of the fermentables coming from grain and 49.9% coming from grapes, this is quite literally the closest to wine a beer can legally be!

Liquid Truth Serum - November - February 2019
    Brewed using pelletized, powdered, leaf and liquefied hops, Liquid Truth Serum is our latest innovation in the world of hopping with every hop addition happening post-boil!

StartedwithSAM likes this.
  2. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,332) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I'm excited to try the wood aged bitches brew, I really liked the base beer. I'll also buy a bit of sequench, it was really well done last year. I just hope they're both easy to find when I'm make my yearly Illinois run in april, unfortunately fresh palo is normally a tough find.

HorseheadsHophead likes this.
  3. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,066) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Per the Twitter live feed (Periscope, maybe? couldn't find a link, it was a tad long and drawn out) a while back, it seemed the focus was on expanded packaging styles, including more cans (some 16oz), a bit more than new offerings or re-releases of occasional rarities, though there is wood-aged Bitches Brew and a variation on Fort in the lineup. I'd personally like to see Hellhound on My Ale and Sah'tea again at some point.

VABA likes this.
  4. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (692) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

90 already comes in 16oz cans as well as Seaquench. THe 90 cans are $8.49 for 4x16.

Enjoy

SammyJaxxxx and Urk1127 like this.
  5. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (386) Apr 29, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

As a home brewer that utilizes multiple techniques to increase hop flavor and aroma in a beer, I am totally down to see how Liquid Truth Serum turns out.

I also love that we are going to see some 60 Minute Stovepipes!

6. Boomer4ES

Boomer4ES Disciple (362) Jan 31, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Maybe you know something that I don't, but I'm not sure that Seaquench is in 16 ounce cans. I heard talk of 90 going to 16 ounce, but I never heard back on whether that was official. They are both in 19.2 ounce cans now though.

If those are available, perhaps they have just not been made available to NC yet.

7. Boomer4ES

Boomer4ES Disciple (362) Jan 31, 2012 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Seaquench has been a year-round brand since Q1 of this year. It should be readily available just about anywhere in their distribution footprint.

Scott17Taylor likes this.
  8. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (692) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

You are correct. 90 in 16oz and Seaquench is the larger 19.2oz.

19.2 90 min I don't know about. I have seen the 16oz 90,s

Enjoy

cjgiant likes this.
  9. i_run_far

i_run_far Initiate (69) Aug 11, 2016 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Liquid Truth Serum is out now, both 6 packs and draft in my area.

10. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,666) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

@Giantspace @Boomer4ES - the three in question in 'can' packaged formats are:

Seaquench = 12 oz cans & 19.2 oz cans
    60 Minute = 12 oz cans & 19.2 oz cans
    90 Minute = 16 oz cans

11. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,332) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Beer Trader

I thought it was a summer seasonal last year. I don't live in their distro, but make a run every April to a state that darries them. Last year I couldn't find any p, hopefully this year is different.

12. BTT

BTT Initiate (114) Jun 3, 2015 Indiana

Where's the World Wide stout?

13. Urk1127

Urk1127 Meyvn (1,361) Jul 2, 2014 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

If last year was its first release i believe summer 2016 it was released as a seasonalbut quickly was added to the lineup. Or im mistaken amd all the seaquench near me is old. But it comes in cans and tallboys.

14. Dan411

Dan411 Initiate (178) Mar 20, 2017 Missouri

I have worked through half of the sixer I picked up last weekend. It is bursting with hop flavor, but really not much, if any, lingering bitterness. Floral, citrus, and earthy hops both on nose and taste. Unique beer worth trying. If anything I could compare it to Rupture by Odell if that helps anyone. It's just a little more complex.

15. Jimbo69

Jimbo69 Initiate (139) Sep 12, 2017 North Carolina

Glad to see Bitches but no WWS? Wish they would revisit Theobroma, Sahtea and Black and Blue.

cjgiant and ShanePB like this.
  16. TheGent

TheGent Meyvn (1,147) Jun 29, 2010 New Jersey

The Fort "variant" has me excited. I love Fort.

NewmansOwn likes this.
  17. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (1,666) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I wish I could like this post more. Completely agree on all three of those.

What do you say, @SamCalagione?

Gemini6 and Jimbo69 like this.
  18. Aaron58

Aaron58 Aspirant (211) Dec 16, 2007 Massachusetts

Gotta put Festina in cans. Got to.

19. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Disciple (343) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

Especially the Vanilla World wide stout

20. Claude-Irishman

Claude-Irishman Disciple (343) Jun 4, 2015 New Jersey

Anyone else find the DFH palo alto wood too sweet?

21. BenHoppy

BenHoppy Zealot (543) Nov 15, 2017 Michigan

Age it for a year it'll taste better. I hate this beer fresh but after a year it is delicious. Then again it has more vanilla caramel flavors which might be perceived as sweet however it's the wood that attributes those flavors and not adjuncts which adds to why this beer is special.

22. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,387) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona

23. BenHoppy

AZBeerDude72 likes this.
  24. Lazhal

Lazhal Disciple (370) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

Both still on the shelves from last year!

25. dlcarst

dlcarst Initiate (164) Aug 21, 2015 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Bitches Brew is my favorite Dogfish brew. I'm stoked for the wood aged version, particularly in 6 packs, but I hope I can get hold of some. Unfortunately Dogfish is not very prevalent here anymore. I'll drive an hour away where it is if necessary though.

Jimbo69 likes this.
  26. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (407) Dec 6, 2010 California

Just opened a Wood Aged Bitches Brew and I'm sorry to report it is for sure infected. Bottled on 01/26/18, completely sour.

27. cjgiant

cjgiant Poo-Bah (4,066) Jul 13, 2013 District of Columbia

I wasn't overly impressed with the wood-aged BB (on tap at restaurant in NoVa). The wood did come out, but in that "too much of a good thing" way. I'd definitely say let it get to cellar temps before you decide. The GF enjoyed it enough, I just would rather have the base beer.

(Or, in case they're watching... Hellhound and/or Sah'tea)

bret717 likes this.
  28. Jimbo69

Jimbo69 Initiate (139) Sep 12, 2017 North Carolina

Ouch...waiting for it to hit the shelf myself. Now I?

29. BenHoppy

Dammit! I've been looking forward to this. Guess I'll be passing on it. Thanks for the heads up.

30. waltari

waltari Initiate (137) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

I am pissed that I bought a whole 6-pk ($18) for this. Pretty disappointing. It reminds me of a lesser version of Narwhal for a higher price point. At this point I am done with DFH.

31. Hoppedelic

Check the date, maybe they did more than 1 batch. I wouldn't buy the 1/26 bottles, straight funky sour stout.

32. BenHoppy

According to their calendar looks like they're bottling this all the way to December so I'll stay tuned for when the batches improve.

33. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (3,501) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Have you let the Brewery know about the problem you encountered? I've heard they have a pretty responsive Customer Service dept.

Prince_Casual likes this.
  34. Hoppedelic

I haven't, maybe I'll shoot them an email.

drtth likes this.
  35. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (346) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

Hellhound is a brilliant beer, I'd love to see that in 6pks (cans!?). I miss the days of reading labels, making a selection, and then getting home to find you'd made a great choice. Ah, youth.

cjgiant likes this.
  36. djkman

djkman Disciple (305) Jun 18, 2012 New Jersey

It may be past my bedtime (LOL) but did I not see World wide stout for 2018? I have to clean my glasses i think.

37. MaltheadWeirdo

MaltheadWeirdo Disciple (382) Nov 18, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Uh-oh. I have no experience with infected beers, nor with first-generation Bitches Brew, but I bought a 6-pack dated 1/18 and opened my first (so far, only) one on 1/26. The wood was obvious (I've had their Palo Santo Marron and loved it), but there was also a weird funky/slightly-sour taste to it. The description of the beer says it's blended with an African honey beer, so I thought that maybe the funky taste was from the honey. (I've never had sour honey, obviously, but I've had some honeys that I would definitely describe as funky underneath the sweetness.) I thought that the weird taste lessened as it warmed, but never completely went away.

So, the rest of the pack has been sitting in the closet, un-refrigerated, for a month. If it's infected, will it have gotten worse? Or does DFH pasteurize it so whatever off flavors it was bottled with would still be there, but not grow?

(Wasn't gonna open a 9% beer on a work night, but seeing as I always sip big stouts anyway, maybe I'll throw one in the fridge for an hour and give it a try.)

Jimbo69 likes this.
  38. MaltheadWeirdo

MaltheadWeirdo Disciple (382) Nov 18, 2015 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Well, the second bottle didn't seem particularly funky. Very woody, a little earthy, but not funky. It seemed maybe a little sour at first but as it warmed up it became quite sweet. So I'm not sure whether I had one bad bottle, or whether whatever was bothering me about the first bottle aged out before I drank the second one.

(It still doesn't seem like a remarkable beer to me though. As long as the rest of the bottles are OK I don't regret spending nearly $18 for the 6-pack, but I won't be buying another one.)

waltari and bret717 like this.
  39. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Meyvn (1,369) Sep 15, 2014 New York

Liquid Truth Serum is superb. I can't wait to try Lupu-Luau.