2018 Fall Seasonal Sightings???

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by beeragent, Jul 21, 2018.

1. beeragent

beeragent Savant (993) Aug 16, 2005 Texas

I know, it's the middle of the summer, but that doesn't stop breweries/distributors from placing Fall seasonals on the shelf. Whether your excited (like me) or not, its that time of year again. Last year it started with Shiner Oktoberfest on July 15th. This year its started with Blue Moon's Harvest Pumpkin which I found on the shelf today. I also read in another thread on BeerAdvocate, that Warsteiner's Oktoberfest has also hit the shelf. So what have you seen?

2. icetrauma

icetrauma Devotee (464) Sep 7, 2004 Texas

Bring on the Oktoberfest and kill the pumpkins!!!

BullDoza and jeebeel like this.
  3. denver10

denver10 Poo-Bah (2,317) Nov 17, 2010 New Mexico

Sante Fe's Oktoberfest has been released.

4. beeragent

I know its not the best, and only mediocre at best, but Leinenkugel's Oktoberfest is now on the shelf. Supposedly Saint Arnold's Oktoberfest is also on its way!

5. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (158) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

Spec's downtown has the Paulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn.

6. icetrauma

Isn’t Paulaner and Spaten brewed year round?

7. jeebeel

Not the Paulaner Oktoberfest Wiesn.

The Paulaner Oktoberfest Märzen is a year-round offering, 2 different beers.

icetrauma likes this.
  8. icetrauma

D&Q posted Karbachtoberfest and St. Arnold Oktoberfest has arrived.

9. Oeddytex

Oeddytex Initiate (15) Jul 5, 2018 Texas

I found a case of Real Ales Sisyphus Barleywine at the Specs off Eastchase parkway in Fort Worth.

10. beeragent

I found the Paulaner Oktoberfest Weisen (and every year it just blows me away), but still waiting for the Saint Arnold and Karbach. Anyone seen them in the San Antonio area yet?

11. beeragent

So Saint Arnold and Karbach are now in San Antonio. Now just waiting for Sierra Nevada's, Ballast Point, and Hofbrau's to land, and I'll be all set. Which Fall beers are you looking for?

12. icetrauma

Ayinger
    Avery Kaiser

13. beeragent

And they're releasing Kaiser in cans!!! Ayinger is also a top priority (somehow left that one out).

icetrauma likes this.
  14. icetrauma

I’m excited for it. After I saw the lane approval, in that thread, I sent Avery a FB msg and they responded they were before it came out. Made my Oktoberfest season. It’s my favorite Oktoberfest.

15. beeragent

It really bummed me when I heard they were discontinuing the Kaiser (now I can't remember where I read that) and I was planning on brewing the homebrew recipe they have listed on their web site, then I saw the label approval and that changed everything!

icetrauma likes this.
  16. beeragent

Sam Adams Octoberfest is now on the shelf. I know it's not widely appreciated, and definitely not like a traditional Oktoberfest, but it's still unique in its flavor. I'll drink a sixer at least (plus the two included in the Sam Adams Fall pack).

icetrauma likes this.
  17. icetrauma

Word in the Rocky Mountain forum is the recipe has been tweaked and is not the same. It clocks in at 8% as opposed to the 9.3% from the bombers.

18. beeragent

Just grabbed a case of Hofbrau Oktoberfest at Total Wine. Aside from the Paulaner Weisen, I can easily say its my favorite of the Festbier style!

icetrauma likes this.
  19. icetrauma

I plan on having a liter or 2 of it at Kings Biergarten tomorrow.

20. beeragent

So the Sam Adams Fall variety just landed in San Antonio. It also looks like, according to the Sierra Nevada web site, that the SN Oktoberfest has arrived in Austin. I'm wondering how long it'll take to get to SA, but I know it wont be soon enough!

21. BDCannon

BDCannon Disciple (362) Feb 24, 2015 Texas
    Premium Trader

Confirming SN Oktoberfest in Austin picked up at Total Wine

22. DamianX13

DamianX13 Initiate (94) Sep 18, 2012 Texas

Has anybody seen the Sierra Nevada Fall Pack in Austin yet?

23. beeragent

According to the Sierra Nevada beer finder on their web site, the Fall Variety is available at several places in Austin.

DamianX13 likes this.
  24. jeebeel

Just picked up the SN and HB Oktoberfests at Total Wine in Houston. Some of the other German ones were there too.

25. beeragent

I just picked up a couple sixers of the Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest in SA. I must say, IMO, it is amazing! Great flavor, and smooth and light enough to have several Maß of it!

26. DamianX13

DamianX13 Initiate (94) Sep 18, 2012 Texas

Picked up the SN Fall Pack. That Vienna Lager is sooooo good. It was great to drink tumbler and Ruthless too.

27. icetrauma

Hofbrau Hause Oktoberfest on tap at King’s Biergarten! Prosit!

28. beeragent

As far as local goes, Alamo and 903 both have their Oktoberfest's on the shelf. Still waiting for Ballast Points to make it to SA!

29. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Initiate (164) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

I'm working on a six pack of the Shiner Okto right now. Not bad but not as complex as others. Just bready maltiness. A bit sweet.

I also had Saint Arnold and Rahr and Sons Oktoberfests on tap recently.
    I liked the Rahr the most out of the three. It had the maltiness with the bitterness backing it up.

Saint Arnold was my least favorite of these three. It was sweet but I didn't get the breadiness I love in a good marzen. Just a bit bland.

I've also seen SN, and a bunch of German imports in stores but I haven't gotten around to buying them yet.

30. Roadkizzle

Roadkizzle Initiate (164) Nov 6, 2007 Texas

Have you tried either of those (Alamo or 903)? After trying a handful of Alamo beers they all seemed to be just trying to be as inoffensive as possible. Not much flavor. But I wonder how their oktoberfest will be.

On the other hand the 903 Okto I had last year was way too sweet and caramelly.

31. icetrauma

Not impressed with Saint Arnold’s Oktoberfest this year. Waiting on Ayinger, Avery Kaiser and Rumpkin. Hofbrau on tap was light on flavor but enjoyable.

32. beeragent

So, not sure how many people actually read the Saint Arnold web site description of their Oktoberfest. If you read it, and look at the awards that it has won, you'll see that their Oktoberfest isn't a marzen, but actually a Scottish ale, which means it will be a lot sweeter and more caramel forward than a marzen, and an ale. That aside, I love it!

33. beeragent

Alamo's Oktoberfest isn't bad, but compared to what else is available, its not one that I search out. I will say that its great for cooking some brats though. 903 wasn't bad either, but again, my tastes send me to other examples.