Release 2018 Lagunitas Born Again Yesterday

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by BeastOfTheNortheast, Apr 18, 2018.

1. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (266) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

I do not have a link, but this is out according to many sources.

2. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (68) Jun 21, 2014 California

Looks like Citrusinensis, too.

[​IMG]

3. magilldm

magilldm Initiate (51) May 2, 2015 Virginia

Citrusinensis hit last week in my area along with Waldo’s, and both are great this year IMO. Can’t wait for Born Again Yesterday to complete the trifecta

brewme likes this.
  4. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,639) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

I had one draft pint of Born Yesterday last fall (2017). That beer was OK.

I will await to see what folks have to report about Born Again Yesterday for 2018.

Cheers!

P.S. Born Yesterday in 2016 from Chicago was OUTSTANDING (for 30 days post the bottling date).

5. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (329) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

born again yesterday is one of my favorite smelling beers. Such a nice hop aroma. Can't wait to get it on draft.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  6. deadwolfbones

deadwolfbones Initiate (68) Jun 21, 2014 California

I love Citrusinensis, but it hasn't been the same since that first year. I still remember the bits of blood orange pulp floating around in my glass.

7. TheBrewsky

TheBrewsky Defender (672) Apr 23, 2017 California
    Premium Trader

Only Waldos has been spotted in my area, and I live local to the Petaluma Lagunitas. Maybe I need to be more observant. Regardless, I lookforward to Citrusinensis and Born Again Yesterday.

tzieser and BeastOfTheNortheast like this.
  8. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (415) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Premium Trader

Yeah I remember that too. It's crystal clear this year.

BeastOfTheNortheast likes this.
  9. invertalon

invertalon Devotee (424) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio

Had Born Again yesterday on tap at Lagunitas... Best IPA of the trip this far, loved it! Liked in past years as well, but this year may be my favorite. Can't wait to get bottles of it when back home.

Side note, Lagunitas is experimenting with "beer water" which is basically light wort, hopped and even yeast added supposedly. But not fermented, so no alcohol. Was quite good actually, wonder if they plan for taphouses only or if in time will bottle it as a non alcoholic type beverage. Aroma and hop flavor was surprisingly awesome.

[​IMG]

#9 invertalon, Apr 19, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  10. JackHorzempa

Premium

How would you compare the 2018 Born Again Yesterday with the 2016 & 2017 Born Yesterday beers?

Cheers!

11. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Disciple (392) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

The obvious answer is last year's was better, but the year before that was even better...

12. Hoppedelic

Hoppedelic Devotee (415) Dec 6, 2010 California
    Premium Trader

At least this years is better than next years.

Ahonky, Apellonious, meefmoff and 9 others like this.
  13. BeastOfTheNortheast

Funny post. Weird that people always say not as good as last year . . . but somehow beer seems to be getting better and better . . .

14. lanedlr

lanedlr Aspirant (274) Jul 2, 2014 California

I also remember the inaugural 2015 batch, and would add that in addition to being clear this year's release tastes of blood orange concentrate with hops playing second fiddle - a far cry from the hop centric 2015 batch where the blood orange was more subtle and less concentrated.

15. NickMpls

NickMpls Initiate (76) Feb 13, 2016 Minnesota

Picked it up in MN yesterday.. bottled April 7th. Tasting real good for $15.99 12/pk.

BeastOfTheNortheast and scream like this.
  16. thuey

thuey Aspirant (204) Nov 13, 2015 California

If you didn't like BY, there's no way you would like old BY (which is BAY). I've had BAY the last two years and hated it. BY is miles better.

hoppytobehere and JackHorzempa like this.
  17. errantnight

errantnight Savant (972) Jul 7, 2005 Iowa
    Trader

That’s a pretty misleading description all around there, champ

18. TheWolf

TheWolf Aspirant (280) May 26, 2015 Delaware

The 2016 born yesterday was the best widely distributed ipa/pale ale I’ve ever experienced. The nose and finish were unbelievable. I keep buying the born yesterday and Born again yesterday series chasing that experience. Unfortunately it hasn’t been matched. Good beers, no doubt. But that 2016 (for the first 30 days because it did hit a wall) was magic.

19. beardown2489

beardown2489 Disciple (334) Oct 5, 2012 Illinois

This years batch is great. I have already finished my 12 pack and I hope I can get another 12 pack. Like I always say, when Lagunitas wants to show off, they can. Honestly, this is one of the best deals in craft beer

20. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (776) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

4.29 on untappd right meow :astonished:. Excited to grab a 12-pack.

21. BeastOfTheNortheast

Funny you mention the Untappd rating. I feel my opinions are closer to Untappd than that of BA. Funny others have said 2016 or whatever was better. People said that about Waldos too. Maybe these people were so surprised by something so good that their expectations were not met during the years after?

This is the same place where Celebration is praised . . .

pjeagles, tzieser and raynmoon like this.
  22. CanesHeatFins305

CanesHeatFins305 Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2014 Florida

Agree 100% with everything you said.

23. Lazhal

Lazhal Devotee (440) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Trader

Remember that they are slightly different beers. Born yesterday is brewed with fresh picked wet hops. Born again yesterday is brewed after the hops have been stored somehow to preserve the freshness.

I wouldn't put it past this storage method that somehow preserves the wet hop to be altering the beers taste. It is very uncommon to store hops this way.

Your best bet will be to pick regular BY up again come hop season this fall.

BayAreaJoe likes this.
  24. jvgoor3786

jvgoor3786 Meyvn (1,446) May 28, 2015 Arkansas
    Premium Trader

I picked up Born Again Yesterday yesterday with a bottling date of three weeks ago. It's great, as always. No Citrusinesis yet, but I'll quickly grab a 12 of those when they hit. Great beer!

25. stevepat

stevepat Disciple (329) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Trader

I've seen citrusinensis around but no born again sightings yet. I'm bummed but guess I'm looking at just waiting till born yesterday season.

26. scream

scream Zealot (573) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Finally hit here today.

27. bound4er

bound4er Champion (805) Jul 4, 2007 Wisconsin

This year's Citrusinensis is very good. Much more juicy than last year with less sharp bitterness. Gonna grab another 6er.

GreenBayBA, shand and deadwolfbones like this.
  28. meefmoff

meefmoff Zealot (525) Jul 6, 2014 Massachusetts
    Premium

Found this (BAY) for the first time in the Boston area - looks like it was bottled around April 7th. It was sitting warm on the store floor unfortunately.

Nose is fantastic when I open the bottle but it dissipates fairly quickly. Taste is a bit more malty than I remember. Nice bitterness. Moderately hazy and moderately crisp.

Certainly nothing to complain about at $16 a twelve pack but I can't help but think this spent some time in a warm truck (it's been unseasonably close to 90 the past few days). I'll be interested to try another batch at some point.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  29. slangtruth

slangtruth Initiate (116) Jan 8, 2012 Kentucky

This was the case for me for both Waldo's and the original BY, I keep buying and still will but the first taste of these two legendary strains will be something to tell our grandkids about.

GreenBayBA and YadiBEER_Molina like this.
  30. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (776) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado

Just got it in NorCal. Early April bottling. Has that signature funky yeast. Not sure anyone else has noticed that in their products.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  31. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Disciple (321) Apr 29, 2012 California

Saw B.A.Y. today while shopping...might have to go back and check it out for the price point.

Haven't really seen Citrusensis...Waldo's came and went in a hurry.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  32. Oktoberfiesta

Oktoberfiesta Aspirant (238) Nov 16, 2013 New Mexico

Hit Nm last week. Picked up a $19 12 pack this afternoon. 93 Julian dated.

Hop floaties for days in my glass.
    [​IMG]
    Citrus flavors are explosive. Finished a bit dry with a lack of sweetness. Drinks way too easy for 7.2%. Tough to call this juicy but it has some of those elements. A notch above citrusnisus IMHO.

May not be Earth shattering enough for some people as it does have that classic lagunitas dry type of backbone. But it's been quite the treat thus far. It has a hop candy sort of sweet citrus aroma but doesn't tend to taste or feel sweet at all. It tastes like a really good WC inspired pale ale (ibus can't be above 50).

Fresh local core ipas come close here and those are priced around $8-9 here. So this might be a touch overpriced but I can see how it won't stun everyone. I'm enjoying it. Not as much as I have enjoyed fresh BY though. But it is what it is

GreenBayBA likes this.
  33. KingforaDay

KingforaDay Defender (635) Aug 5, 2010 New Jersey
    Trader

Didn't get to try BAY this year but did try Waldo's and Citrusinensis. Both were good. I just don't understand why the 3 of these were released together/so close to each other as you were basically forced to by a case if you wanted to try all 3. For those of us who prefer to drink these fresh it just makes it impossible to buy all 3.

34. PineappleBoss

PineappleBoss Initiate (0) Oct 17, 2017 California

Sweeter than last years release.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  35. brewme

brewme Devotee (411) Mar 1, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Saw for the first time in MA (Cedarville Wine & Spirits). Grabbed a 12 pack for about $15.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  36. phillyale

phillyale Initiate (41) Jan 7, 2015 Pennsylvania

dang, PA prices are ridiculous. Paid $23.99 before taxes for a 12-pack on Friday at the distributor by my job.

37. JackHorzempa

Premium

And if you ever figure out why prices are so much higher here please let me know. I can inform you that the reason is not taxes - PA has low excise taxes on beer.

Cheers!

38. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (1,573) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Premium Trader

I am worn out stalking beer places in Houston for this release. It hasn't made it here yet. Also we never received the BA Stout here in Houston this year.

GreenBayBA likes this.
  39. BayAreaJoe

BayAreaJoe Zealot (545) Nov 23, 2017 California
    Trader

Or why they can't put it out in 6-packs like the other two. A few stores around here let you take singles from any 6-pack, but they're not cool with breaking open larger cases.

KingforaDay likes this.
  40. waltari

waltari Initiate (53) Jan 28, 2016 Georgia

I cannot complain though because it's way cheaper in a 12pk format than a 6pk. I would be paying $9.99 for a 6pk vs $16 for a 12pk.

GreenBayBA likes this.