2018 New Year's Beer Resolutions?

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by jmdrpi, Jan 1, 2018.

1. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (5,315) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Anyone making some New Year's Resolutions related to their beer drinking?

I am resolving to not drink any IPAs for at least the month of January, maybe longer. And then less throughout the rest of the year.

The market just seems so dominated by them and often taplists are 50% IPAs, so I am going to vote with my wallet. I enjoy many other beer styles anyway, so this is more of a concerted effort to drink more non-hoppy beer this year, and ignore all the "new release" IPAs

2. Giantspace

Giantspace Defender (673) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

I really like IPA but I like your idea. I was on all AAL or a bit and when I had a hoppy beer it was so good. I also like other styles buy have been in an IPA rut for years. Only by going to AAL last year and looking for cheaper options did I "remember" all the other great beers I loved.

Since I am sick right now w/o any beer the last few days I might go with the beer free January. I just need to drink a few IPA I have purchased recently once I am feeling better. Cant waste good IPA.

I also will continue to strive for $1 per 12oz beer. I need to do the math for 2017 but think I am under $1.25.

Enjoy

3. Junior

Junior Disciple (334) May 23, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Drink down my cellar and buy less. Buy fresh and buy local.

4. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,821) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Trader

Don't make resolutions, sorry.

Cheers!

5. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,035) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Premium Trader

None, absolutely none.

6. mannrw61

mannrw61 Initiate (35) Nov 30, 2017 Massachusetts

I really want to branch out. The last few weeks (and maybe even months) I've been looking primarily for IPA's, sours and Stouts. I want to start to appreciate other styles.

I also need to cut back. I've really indulged for the last week, but I felt the best I've felt in a long time when I restricted myself to a couple beers on the weekends only. I need to start that back up.

7. Lahey

Lahey Disciple (387) Nov 12, 2016 Michigan

I'm going on the dreaded new years diet, which means very little to no beer. I'm getting married in 6 months and I gotta cut some weight for the wedding. I'm getting chunky and the human body can only handle so much beer... so 2 more days of indulgence before my 4 day weekend ends :stuck_out_tongue:

8. Lorianneb

Lorianneb Aspirant (270) Apr 27, 2012 New Jersey

My resolution is to not chase beer and enjoy all of the quality, delicious beer made near me

9. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,014) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Premium Trader

Get out to more bars and taprooms and enjoy draft beer way more often. 99% of what I drink is bottled... Also drink way more local stuff which is a by product of the first one...

10. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,509) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Premium Trader

It's kinda boring, but I strongly need to cut back and spend a lot more wisely. At least for the first six months :wink:, then I'm sure my attitude will change again.

11. utopiajane

utopiajane Poo-Bah (2,532) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I resolve to pair all kinds of beer with delicious food that I make from scratch. I am going to learn to make yogurt this year, and in the area of bread making, bagels and pretzels are next on my list. I too am going on the traditional diet after the holidays so I will be cutting back too for now and then picking it back up again once spring arrives and I can start walking to the beer store again, or the 5 pounds drops off . I resolve to drink only the best beer and to try more IPA's.

12. Shanex

Shanex Champion (855) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Trader

Drink less, drink better.

Kinda tired of the Belgians lately and looking forward to try Swedish Ommnopilo and more Murican brews. Cheers and happy new year

BuffaloBill12, VABA, bret717 and 8 others like this.
  13. DISKORD

DISKORD Aspirant (212) Feb 28, 2017 North Carolina

14. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,715) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium

It seems like every few weeks a new small, local brewery is opening in my area. In the past 1-2 years I was quite slow to visit them. One of the relatively 'new' small, local breweries is Hidden River in Douglesville, PA. I had told my wife for many months: yes, we will go visit. She got tired of my procrastination so one Sunday she 'informed' me that I was going to take her their that day; I wrote about that trip in a past thread:

"Keith, my wife and I were at Hidden River yesterday (our first visit). My wife has already proclaimed: "Hidden River is my favorite place". It was a very nice environment out on the deck. My wife drank three pints of Animate Insignia; she didn't even consider switching up. I had a hoppy Saison (I can't recall the brand name), Never Felled which I thought was an excellent Dark Mild and a pint of Animate Insignia which I thought was a very good Cloudy IPA."

So, my resolution for 2018 is to 'mitigate' my procrastination and visit more of these newly opened local, small breweries.

Over the holidays I purchased a 4-pack of Locust Lane Kolsch beer and I think that beer is quite good! Maybe Locust Lane will be my first 'new' brewery of 2018?

Cheers!

@ecpho

meefmoff, bret717, dcotom and 5 others like this.
  15. VABA

VABA Poo-Bah (2,169) Aug 8, 2015 Virginia

Revisit beers.

16. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (223) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Less IPAs, less beer in general. I took off a month from beer recently and I dropped weight instantly and felt better, prior to that I had already cut back so the dropping had already started.

OP, like you I realized I need to start voting with my wallet a little more than I already was and I'm pretty worn out on the constant IPA/hops trend and the 10 to 1 ratio I seem to see. Also, IPAs destroyed my palette and the reset as of late has been nice.

I also want to explore Belgians a little more.

matcris, Shanex, AZBeerDude72 and 4 others like this.
  17. matcris

matcris Meyvn (1,072) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

To cut my consumption in half. Sigh. Gotta lose poundage, and I'm not a huge exercise guy.

meefmoff, dcotom, Shanex and 6 others like this.
  18. FBarber

FBarber Poo-Bah (2,455) Mar 5, 2016 Illinois
    Premium Trader

Not that I've made some formal resolutions but generally speaking I'd like to:
    1) buy less beer and spend less $ on the beer I do buy,
    2) drink through some of the older stuff in my cellar, and
    3) finish trying an example of every style on BA (I'm only 4 or 5 away).

19. Chipotle

Chipotle Initiate (175) Apr 23, 2017 New York

I appreciate your efforts and on a related note I have to remember to stock up on some of the stouts and porters that get shoved off the shelves with the onslaught of IPA's.

VABA and jmdrpi like this.
  20. AZBeerDude72

AZBeerDude72 Meyvn (1,394) Jun 10, 2016 Arizona
    Premium Trader

This year I am thinking of going back to my beer roots. I got caught up in the hunt and finding those limited items and realized I neglected my go to favorites. I think I am taking this year to just enjoy simple beers, spend wisely, and not chase so much, what I find I find and I am ok with that.
    I also want to hit up more local places and drink a lot of fresh stuff, so much around me I feel like I missed a lot of good beers and fun crowds. So all in all not a major change just getting back to basics I guess.

I also agree with above and clear out my stock, lol I have a lot of stuff to knock out to clear house.

:sunglasses:

21. Chipotle

Chipotle Initiate (175) Apr 23, 2017 New York

I've already started to cut back on beer and calories in general. This prolonged cold snap has made it difficult to spend a lot of time outside working in the woods, which is my primary form of Winter exercise. That being said ... think I'll have a beer while I conjure some sort of bean and quinoa meal.

meefmoff, tobelerone, VABA and 8 others like this.
  22. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (1,904) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Premium

Without any doubt whatsoever my beer resolution would be to drink less beer. I have been carried away recently, not just in amount consumed but also regarding ABV.

23. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Aspirant (284) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Drink less, drink better. Would like to cut about 15 pounds off by August, so I'm going to try just drinking a few on weekends (probably won't last long).

24. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,113) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

1. Drink more beer! I don't drink a lot and I tend to over-buy, so I really need to drink down that cellar!
    2. As I'm now into trying new-to-me beers and styles, I need to stop buying so much of my favorites such as all of the BA Central Waters beers and "cult" beers like KBS, CBS, and BA Fidy.
    3. That said, I resolve to buy a case or more of Prairie Pirate Bomb or Noir one way or another. I'll gladly give up water, pop, and coffee!
    4. Finish my quest to try all 104 style by hunting down the last four.
    5. Pick up the pace on my quest to try beers from every state, twenty to go.

25. Uniobrew31

Uniobrew31 Zealot (503) Jan 16, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I resolve that when I buy something to "age" I will let it get older than a the few hours in the fridge it takes to chill it. I suck at aging beer!

26. jmdrpi

Yes, this is the best time of year that the most malty beers are available. Not enough breweries brew a porter year round.

Chipotle likes this.
  27. joberlander

joberlander Disciple (320) May 30, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

Drink down the cellar more. I've been trying to do this but I sware when I tell myself that I'm not buying any new beer for a few weeks, Trillium or someone drops a new unreal sounding beer.

Also to try new breweries. I discovered a few new breweries I never would have bought if a store rep didn't recommend them so I need to stop buying the same beers.

matcris, AZBeerDude72 and bbtkd like this.
  28. RedhawkPoke

RedhawkPoke Aspirant (239) Jan 30, 2017 Oklahoma
    Trader

1. I want to review 100 beers this year. Joined the NBS BIF this fall and have been reviewing most weeks since. (1 down 99 to go)

2. I want to find a beer that I can honestly rate a 5 here. Had a handful of 4.75 on Untappd in 2017 but want to find the 5.0 beer.

29. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,687) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Premium

I plan working to become a Certified Cicerone

MikeP64, utopiajane, puck1225 and 6 others like this.
  30. polloenfuego

polloenfuego Meyvn (1,473) Jan 26, 2013 Ontario (Canada)

I resolve to take a few more beer trips and expand my palate.

I, like many, have been stuck in the IPA rut, and I want to expand this, drink more styles that I love, but don't often get to anymore...Belgians, Barleywine, browns, and so much more.

I also need to get my spending in order. I would like to get more bang for my buck.

Finally, I resolve that on my trip to San Diego later this year, I will attempt to visit as many breweries as possible and try to return to Canada with some good stuff.

utopiajane, Chipotle, matcris and 3 others like this.
  31. Betolito

Betolito Aspirant (253) May 20, 2012 Nevada

Sleep more. As far as beer universe, I want to explore home brewing for fun. I finally have a good space to do so. As far as wife is concerned, cut back on expensive beer I chase around town to get. Have my work cut out.

32. dcgunman

dcgunman Crusader (742) Jul 1, 2009 California

Not to spend $600+ a month on great beer.

33. Harrison8

Harrison8 Poo-Bah (2,897) Dec 6, 2015 Missouri
    Premium Trader

Not any hard-set resolutions, although I'll sit in a coffee shop sometime this weekend and write up a few goals for me to tape up next to my bed.

As for beer, I would like to start reviewing more places. I think there are some kick-ass bars and stores around here, and yet I always fail to review them. I know I rely on the resources here to find good spots when I'm traveling, so I think it's time I contribute to the database a bit more.

34. jmdrpi

The home brew sub-forum here on BA is pretty helpful:
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/forums/homebrewing.8/

Also, the book How to Brew by John Palmer is a great place to start

Prep8611 likes this.
  35. Betolito

Betolito Aspirant (253) May 20, 2012 Nevada

VABA and Prep8611 like this.
  36. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Meyvn (1,348) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Trader

If you can get to Des Moines on Wednesday I'll be bringing a pale mild and beers from Tennessee, Mississippi, and Arkansas to a bottle share. I think that could help you quite a bit.

bbtkd likes this.
  37. Scott17Taylor

Trader

I'm going to try to drink more inexpensive beer, there are plenty of good beers at $10 a six pack and it would help me branch out into more styles.
    I also want to drink a beer from every state and style. I'm pretty close and have knocked out most of the tougher ones, I should be able to get this done in a year.
    I enjoy chasing limited beers and actually want to make the effort to travel to a release or 2 this year.
    I'm getting close to rating a beer from 250 breweries, I'd love to try to get that to 350-400 by the end of the year.

utopiajane likes this.
  38. Scott17Taylor

Trader

As a whole if like to see place rating be more popular on this site. It doesn't seem like many people rate them and it's very helpful when traveling.

Lucular, jmdrpi, laketang and 2 others like this.
  39. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,113) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Premium Trader

Thanks for the offer, but have to work and it's a bit of a drive.

40. Scott17Taylor

Trader

I get it, it's a few hour drive and not worth making on a Wednesday. Good luck on your goals, I've been trying to get both done for awhile and I think this could be the year. Pm me if you're ever down here I travel and trade a little and might be able to help with the 50 states.

bbtkd likes this.