Release 2018 Parabola & Coconut Rye Parabola!

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by AyatollahGold, Mar 28, 2018.

1. AyatollahGold

AyatollahGold Defender (688) Nov 28, 2016 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Firestone Walker took to social media today to announce the 2018 vintage of their Russian Imperial Stout, Parabola, releases April 7th at all FW locations, with limited distribution to follow. They also announced a Coconut Rye Parabola will be seen as well!

2. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Devotee (488) Mar 19, 2012 California

Just finished the last of my 2017 Parabola. Oh well, I guess that I will have to buy more.

Coconut Rye:astonished:

AyatollahGold likes this.
  3. eppCOS

eppCOS Defender (677) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Premium Member

H
    e
    l
    l

Y
    E
    S

4. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (66) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

5. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (749) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

This year's is 12.7% abv compared to last year's 14.5%, with a big finishing gravity. That is much more inline with the original vintages from 2010, 2011, 2012.

6. maximum12

maximum12 Poo-Bah (3,776) Jan 21, 2008 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

FW is arriving in MN shortly. Praying that they bring Parabola with them. And if so, I'll be happy to start on my neckbeard, put grandma on high alert, & start chasing trucks!

7. CSpoons

CSpoons Aspirant (214) Nov 13, 2012 Maryland
    Beer Trader

Not crazy about that variant but I'm def scooping up the regular.

8. Fox82791

Fox82791 Devotee (430) Jun 20, 2014 New York
    Beer Trader

hoping this years Parabola is back to what it was, last year's wasn't great. Sounds like it will be based on raynmoon's observation

9. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Aspirant (224) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Anyone know if they contracted another brewery for this vintage?

10. redeemer

redeemer Initiate (21) Apr 3, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

Someone asked about this on Facebook and the reply from FW was:

"Both of these beers were brewed and aged here at our brewery in Paso Robles."

11. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Meyvn (1,032) Nov 3, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Coconut Rye....I'm in !

12. texasalec

texasalec Initiate (62) Jul 18, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

If FW can improve the mouthfeel of parabola (last year was thin) I bet the Coconut Rye will be a stunner. Their barrel aging program is top notch.

13. Jlabs

Jlabs Champion (848) Nov 11, 2013 New York
    Beer Trader

ditto!

14. Beerbom

Beerbom Defender (609) Dec 20, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Anybody else having a hard time believing they’re only releasing 300 cases of coconut parabola??? The above tenemu article said just 300 cases. At 12 bottles per person that would mean only 600 people would get this if everyone maxes out (assuming a case of these is 24 bottles). Somebody can correct me if I’m wrong but weren’t the old bombers 6/case). Why would they have such high per person limits then?? They’re selling these out of all three locations so that’d only be 100 cases per location. Considering there’s still tons of 17’ parabola sitting around NorCal I thought maybe they’d converted a lot of 18 to the coconut version so there won’t be so much regular 18 ending up in shelves. Hell BottleLogic produces more fundamental observation ttham 7200 bottles.

#14 Beerbom, Apr 5, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
    bgold86 likes this.
  15. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (346) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

1) beers like parabajava and rye double dba were small yields and brewery only, so I wouldn't read into that at all

2) In VA/DC we are seeing TONS of 12oz boxed FW beers, I just was at a little independent grocer yesterday and had about 30 bottles of Sucaba w no limit @ $9.99. Which is a good thing, since it used to be really hard to get FW boxed beers in the 22s, even though they have almost no trade value- people were just hoarding, and not much was starting at the wholesaler.

16. Beerbom

Beer Trader

What do you mean “I wouldn’t read into that at all“? Are you thinking they’ll release more than 300 cases? I was considering driving the three hours for this release but it looks like the odds of getting bottles may be stacked against me. I picked up a faie amount of Rye DDBA at least a week after it was released (maybe more) and also snagged Parajava at the brewery too after the release (although I think I just got lucky for the Parabajava and they just happen to put a few bottles out on the day I showed up).

Maybe I can trade some of my DDBA and Rye DDBA for bottles of coconut parabola if I get shut out on this.

17. GetMeAnIPA

GetMeAnIPA Zealot (586) Mar 28, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

ISO: FT as many scotch parabolas as you want.

raynmoon likes this.
  18. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (346) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Beer Trader

I quoted a specific part of your post " maybe they’d converted a lot of 18 to the coconut version so there won’t be so much regular 18 ending up in shelves." - I wouldn't read too much into the fact that there is or isn't Parabola on the shelves now.

Goose Island could easily make half (or all) of the BCBS coming out of barrels, into BCBCS, and don't, and that's simply adding some cold brew to the bottle before filling with beer. Doing stuff with coconut in particular is notoriously a huge PITA so I believe this is more of a passion project than adding to their bottom line.

EDIT: I'm just clarifying what I said, not trying to stir things up or insult you!

raynmoon and AyatollahGold like this.
  19. Lazhal

Lazhal Disciple (370) Mar 13, 2011 Michigan
    Beer Trader

It may not add directly to the bottle line. Experimentation and rare releases do serve to be great publicity for a craft brewery across the beer community. Lines, Facebook, trading forums, etc all help keep their brewery in the public eye and potentially grab new customers. Seems to me that is better trade off than an extra dollar or two on a few thousand bottles of beer for a brewery as big as FW.

20. tpancake

tpancake Initiate (165) Aug 18, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

I was hoping this would be pretty laid back and I could just stop by during the day and snag some bottles. With only 300 cases @ 12 pp across 3 locations I wonder if people will be lining up for it.

21. mctizzz

mctizzz Devotee (488) Dec 23, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

Anyone leaving from/passing through Santa Cruz on their way to Paso? I'm down to carpool or work something out if you don't plan to max out your coconut rye allocation.

22. LumpkinBrews

LumpkinBrews Disciple (307) Aug 30, 2013 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I need thiiiiiiiisssssss!!

23. FlawlessCowboy

FlawlessCowboy Initiate (0) Jan 4, 2018 New York

So this doesn't get distro?

24. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (66) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Regular Parabola gets distro'd, but Coconut Rye is brewery-only.

25. Leftofthedial

Leftofthedial Devotee (413) Nov 17, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Currently at Emporium and it looks like I got here way too early.

26. Beerbom

Beer Trader

Thanks for the info. So how many others are even in line with you?. I woke up at 6:45 am and was tempted to make the 3 hour drive to get there but figured if I wasn’t in line 45-60 minutes early I would get shut out so I opted out. Well that and the fact that I didn’t even mention the possibility of me doing this to my wife at all. I guess I’ll hit the Fieldwork release and hit Sante Adairius instead :slight_smile:

#26 Beerbom, Apr 7, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
    Leftofthedial likes this.
  27. Leftofthedial

Beer Trader

Currently maybe 15 people

mctizzz likes this.
  28. IKR

IKR Defender (615) May 25, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

They were accommodating and backed the limit off to 6 Coconut Rye at Propagator (Venice). Left with 6 regular and 6 coconut 3 hours ago. The coconut addition and rye whiskey bal-aging were definitely noticeable on the draft pours (at least to me).

johnInLA likes this.
  29. Wasatch

Wasatch Poo-Bah (5,532) Jun 8, 2005 Colorado
    Beer Trader

Would be nice to see some around here.

Cheers!

30. LumpkinBrews

LumpkinBrews Disciple (307) Aug 30, 2013 Arizona
    Beer Trader

31. Leftofthedial

Beer Trader

Haven't cracked any bottles of coconut yet but I had it on tap at the release and really enjoyed it. They served it way too cold but the coconut was present in the aroma and much more in the flavor as it warmed. Quite well balanced and the rye spice brought it all together. Great finish and I still got the majority of flavors from the classic base beer. The body wasn't overly "thicc", but if I want to drink a full bottle myself of an imperial stout (and I definitely would with this) that's not necessarily something that's important to me. I do hear the mouthfeel is better out of the bottle. Anyway, I think Firestone did an excellent job with this one and I hope they continue to make this in future years. Really glad I drove down, great overall experience at the brewery as well.

Hope you had a good time at Sante on Saturday @Beerbom. I managed to swing by on my way back and the taplist was pretty killer, not to mention that crazy bottle list.

32. Doggerband

Doggerband Initiate (114) Mar 18, 2016 Virginia
    Beer Trader

Willing to trade one?

33. AustinG

AustinG Initiate (116) Mar 15, 2018 California

I was worried about not being able to purchase any of the Coconut Rye, but when we arrived around 1pm there was still ~4 cases worth(24 - 12oz per case). My friend and I both walked away with 12 Coconut, & 12 '18 Parabola, then ate lunch at the brewery and had the '14-18 + Coconut flight. The coconut is still fairly bright on the palate, and should mellow out and integrate into the beer quite well over the next couple of months, and while I prefer toasted coconut in my beers, this was quite enjoyable, and was better than The Bruery Mounds of Coconut which had far, far less coconut.

34. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (114) Jan 13, 2014 California
    Beer Trader

Do they hold back some of the coconut rye and then trickle it out throughout the year at the various FW locations? I stumbled across some Parabajava at Barrelworks a couple years ago, months after the release, so it seems like they could have been doing it with that.

35. AustinG

AustinG Initiate (116) Mar 15, 2018 California

From my experience, that's what I've seen. Over the last couple of years they've slowly released a little bit here and there, typically with bottle limits in the 1-4 bottle range.

Brent212 likes this.
  36. redeemer

redeemer Initiate (21) Apr 3, 2017 California
    Beer Trader

So, is this year's Parabola better than last year's?

37. coquet

coquet Initiate (80) Aug 31, 2014 Virginia
    Beer Trader

As of this morning, Untappd ratings for the two are the same, down to the thousandth of a point. This only supports my belief from last year that the notion that Boulevard screwed up '17 Parabola was laughable.

JeremyDanner and Donco like this.
  38. raynmoon

raynmoon Crusader (749) Aug 13, 2011 Colorado
    Beer Trader

They're different. This year I feel is more "to form" or "similar to previous Parabola vintages". Last year was also really good, but very different for the brand.

AyeDogg likes this.
  39. AyeDogg

AyeDogg Aspirant (224) Oct 29, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

This years resembles more of pre '17. I struggled drinking my last '17.

This was your first mistake. Never take Untappd as a reputable source.

40. elbrooksie

elbrooksie Aspirant (266) Jan 10, 2013 Texas
    Beer Trader

Last year's release was noticeably thinner in body than previous years to me, although I had no complaints flavor-wise. I have not had this year's yet, but looking forward to comparing.