News 2018 World Beer Cup® Winners Announced

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by Todd, May 4, 2018.

1. Todd

Todd Founder (5,496) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff

8,234 entries from 66 countries compete at the “Olympics of Beer”

Nashville, Tenn. • May 3, 2018—The Brewers Association (BA)—the not-for-profit trade association dedicated to small and independent American craft brewers—announced the results of the 2018 World Beer Cup Awards. The largest competition to date, the awards were presented at the conclusion of the Craft Brewers Conference & BrewExpo America® at Music City Center in Nashville, Tenn.

Beers were judged during six sessions over a period of three days by an elite panel of 295 judges from 33 countries—72 percent of whom were from outside the United States. Judges evaluated 8,234 beers—a 25 percent increase in the number of entries from the 2016 World Beer Cup. Of the 2,515 participating breweries, 807 were from outside the United States.

Out of a possible 303 awards in 101 beer style categories, 302 were awarded. One gold award was not given in Category 36, International-Style Pilsener.

“Beer brings people together,” said Charlie Papazian, founder and past president, Brewers Association. “The World Beer Cup showcases the breadth of the global brewing community and winning an award symbolizes one of the greatest brewing achievements. Congratulations to all the winners on this remarkable accomplishment.”

View 2018 World Beer Cup Winners List and Fact Sheet

Competition Highlights
    • Average number of beers entered per category: 82 (a 13 percent increase from 2016)
    • Most-entered categories in 2018:
      • 377 entries in Category 93, American-Style India Pale Ale
      • 196 entries in Category 94, Imperial India Pale Ale
      • 196 entries in Category 28, Wood- and Barrel-Aged Strong Beer
      • 190 entries in Category 29, Wood- and Barrel-Aged Strong Stout
    • Number of countries represented: 66 (a 20 percent increase from 2016)
    • Countries with the most awards:
      • United States: 242
      • Canada: 14
      • Germany: 9
    • Country with the highest winning rate: Belgium (10 percent)
    • Panama won its first-ever World Beer Cup award. All other award-winning countries were previous winners.
    The Brewers Association introduced the World Beer Cup competition in 1996 to celebrate the art and science of brewing by recognizing outstanding achievement. The 2018 World Beer Cup is made possible by the generous support of sponsors including presenting sponsor Krones, and partner sponsors Barth-Haas Group, First Key Consulting Inc., MicroStar Logistics, SAHM GmbH + Co. KG, and Siemens.

https://www.worldbeercup.org/winners/award-winners/

###

2. SoCalBeerIdiot

SoCalBeerIdiot Defender (652) Mar 10, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Don't they usually break down winners by state, too, or does someone else do that? Maybe it just hasn't come out yet?

3. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,881) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

4. SoCalBeerIdiot

Beer Trader

5. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (5,789) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Premium Member Beer Trader

Congratulations to Melvin, Altitude and Black Tooth representing Wyoming!

cbcrunch, Dan_K and ManBearPat like this.
  6. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,330) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey

Versatility thy name is Firestone Walker- 3 golds and a silver. Pretty damn nice on its own, but they also break down as: Bitter, Kellerbier, APA and sour. Now they need to re-release that APA on its own!

7. darktronica

darktronica Meyvn (1,331) Aug 29, 2014 Indiana
    Beer Trader

Another year, another set of medalists in hotly-contested categories that have sub-4.0 averages or less than 10 ratings on BA... another forum thread full of posts grousing about differences between style guidelines and what "the people" like.

8. jmdrpi

Can't tell if you think this is a bad thing, or just just one that prompts complaints?

Which would you personally rather take faith in- BA ratings with more inputs despite some level of various biases, or blind rankings by a handful of trained judges?

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  9. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (433) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

Pretty much look like Colorado was the overall wiener.. well done, bois

Bitterbill likes this.
  10. pjeagles

pjeagles Initiate (167) May 29, 2005 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

I know this wasn't directed at me, but it's a question worth a whole thread of its own. And my answer would be the BA ratings. I find that they're more in line with what I'm looking for, particularly IPAs. I've been underwhelmed by a good amount of GABF and WBC medalists in the IPA/IIPA categories. BA ratings certainly suffer from biases, but some beers became hyped because they were that damn good to begin with.

11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,493) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Hmm, was that a misspelling or....?:thinking_face:

Cheers!

12. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,059) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Beer Trader

Where's the NE IPA category?

13. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (210) Aug 2, 2017 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

Miller Light won best Light Beer in 2016, please tell me how these awards matter?

Prince_Casual likes this.
  14. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,355) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Immortale25 likes this.
  15. JuliusPepperwood

JuliusPepperwood Initiate (195) Jul 21, 2013 Alabama
    Beer Trader

Drank the gold medal Revision IPA by chance in Boise a week ago. I can vouch for it that it is an amazing IPA. Feel pretty lucky to have stumbled upon it by accident!

surfcaster, Bitterbill and BayAreaJoe like this.
  16. Dan_K

Dan_K Devotee (441) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Beer Trader

That's cool. Little old Loveland Ale Works won a bronze medal for Guava Sour. And Little Machine in Denver (small, relatively new) won the Silver.

Rockyard in Castle Rock won a gold for German-style Pilsener.

Bitterbill likes this.
  17. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (508) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

It's not a surprise any more, but I noted that Bob "Medal Machine" Barrar brewer for 2SP Brewing [and formerly Iron Hill Media] grabbed yet another medal for his "The Russian" imperial stout. Barrar and this beer in particular have consistently won awards over the years well beyond getting lucky.

surfcaster, JackHorzempa and Dan_K like this.
  18. Dan_K

Beer Trader

I don't have the final numbers, but it certainly looks like CA is going to be the overall winner. Strong showing from OR as expected. Colorado represents ~29 / 303 medals. Good showing from PA as well.

Bitterbill and ManBearPat like this.
  19. ManBearPat

ManBearPat Devotee (433) Dec 2, 2014 Colorado

*** our PA :blush:

20. Redrover

Redrover Poo-Bah (2,961) Jan 18, 2003 Illinois

Old Style Gets the W :grin: I mean gold.. for those who don't get my Wrigley reference.

21. slander420

slander420 Initiate (162) Jul 12, 2016 Florida
    Beer Trader

If you select USA as the country then it let's you sort them by state.

Dan_K likes this.
  22. SoCalBeerIdiot

Beer Trader

You are correct! Very handy. Thank you!

Dan_K likes this.
  23. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,036) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

Give DE a shout out too. If you add the 2SP and Iron Hill awards we have to win per capita. Both of those breweries started in DE. They moved to PA when expanding due to the stupid DE distribution laws. I think we can still claim them as they are still in DE.

24. Dan_K

Beer Trader

Here's some notable (US) states and their population for reference purposes.

California: 44 (39.5 million)
    Colorado: 28 (5.6 million)
    Oregon: 23 (4.14 million)
    Pennsylvania: 11 (12.81 million)
    Texas: 11 (28.3 million)
    Ohio: 10 (11.66 million)
    Washington: 10 (7.41 million)
    Florida: 7 (21 million)
    New York: 7 (19.85 million)

So yeah, Oregon has a lot to be proud of IMO.

Shout out to Belgium winning 7 awards with a relatively small number of entrants.

25. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,036) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware

With those numbers DE comes in third with or without my fudge factor.

26. OakvilleKGB

OakvilleKGB Initiate (152) Dec 3, 2015 Missouri
    Beer Trader

Does it bug anyone else that they went in alphabetical order of Bronze, Gold, Silver?

27. JoePasko

JoePasko Initiate (142) Mar 10, 2018 New York

Yes it was screwing me up for a few minutes, until I figured out how they were listing them.

28. SHDoyle

SHDoyle Devotee (453) Sep 1, 2014 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Do people generally put more credibility behind the GABF or the WBC? For example, is one of these the 'Miss USA' to the other's more venerable 'Miss America'? Or are they simply different competitions that garner similar respect? I'm not advocating either way, just curious to see what people thought.

29. JoePasko

I am no fan of chocolate beer, but nice to see Genesee get the win, and some recognition for its 'Genesee Brew House' subsidiary line of craft styles.

bstoos and BruChef like this.
  30. JoePasko

"Also, judges may grant an award in any one or more of the three award places without granting awards in all three places. For example, judges may recognize a beer as a silver or bronze award winner; yet not grant a gold award"

This appears to be the case with International-style Pilsner. No Gold medal awarded. Can you imagine a Miss America pageant with no Miss America, just runner-ups ... because none of the contestants were pretty enough or talented enough, or had enough poise to deserve the title ?

31. BruChef

BruChef Aspirant (226) Nov 8, 2009 New York

Who do you think should have won?

surfcaster and ManBearPat like this.
  32. wrwoodman

wrwoodman Initiate (0) Sep 5, 2014 Texas

8,234 beers
    295 judges
    Average number of beers entered per category: 82
    How can I get that gig?

33. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (3,493) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Premium Member

Just like the old joke:

“How do I get to Carnegie Hall?

Practice!”

Cheers!

OakvilleKGB likes this.
  34. surfcaster

surfcaster Champion (821) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina

Interesting

No winners from Vermont. Hmmm. Wonder who entered??
    Three from Mass and not the "usual suspects"

NC with 5 winners--decent showing but not the household names. Legion in CLT does do variety pretty well (nice ryes, pales) despite having their sales driven by one super popular NEIPA-Juicy Jay.

And Revision IPA wins Gold--we get that one here now and I AGREE.

#34 surfcaster, May 12, 2018
    Last edited: May 12, 2018
  35. rronin

rronin Initiate (193) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

Well deserved kudos to Pelican, Chuckanut, Georgetown, Silver City, No-Li, Powell Street and Boundary Bay representing the Northwest!

36. pjeagles

pjeagles Initiate (167) May 29, 2005 New Mexico
    Beer Trader

They are similar as far as number of breweries and of beers entered in the competitions, with the obvious differences being GABF is open to USA beers and World Beer Cup to, uh, the world. Also, the World Beer Cup is held every other year, so I guess you could look at it as more of a "Beer Olympics". I'd say industry people give a medal at either the same amount of weight, though winning in a style that is traditional to a certain country, like Dortmunder or Helles is to Germany, can be extra special since many of us got caught the bug from drinking great German beers to begin with.

SHDoyle likes this.
  37. Dandrewjohn

Dandrewjohn Initiate (155) Apr 13, 2013 Texas

Wow, I've never even heard of most of these brewers. There must be a lot of small guys with limited distribution, sigh.

38. Ranbot

Ranbot Zealot (508) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

It takes time and money to enter beers in competitions. Brewers do it in the hope they win a medal and can use it for publicity and marketing puposes. Many VT breweries only distribute locally and get by quite well on the local beer culture/awareness. Getting an award at a far away competition would probably have minimal effect on that sales model, so why bother entering?

jmdrpi and JackHorzempa like this.
  39. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,355) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

I have never seen a list of breweries that participated in GABF or WBC, until now. Open up the North America tab and you can see who entered.
    https://www.worldbeercup.org/competition/participating-breweries/

Mothergoose03 and JackHorzempa like this.
  40. jmdrpi

This would re-enforce the upside/downside balance for popular breweries. If they already sell out their beer, there isn't much to gain. But if people know they entered beer and didn't win a Medal in the blind ranking then it could hurt their reputation.