2019 hop crop

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by GormBrewhouse, May 28, 2019.

1. GormBrewhouse

GormBrewhouse Devotee (434) Jun 24, 2015 Vermont

its been a cool and rainy start to the hop growing year. My plants are growing like mad. Many around 6 feet which is high for me this time of year.

How is everybody else's?

2. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (158) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Workload has put the kibosh on much of my homebrew activities and my rhizomes aren't even in the ground yet. I'm shooting for next week but can't wait much longer than that or mrs. riptorn will commandeer the arbor for tomatoes and pole beans.
    No big loss if they don't produce much (if any) this year, but maybe it'll give me a good jump on 2020.

Tried to hook up with a local NC grower for some cascade and nugget but our schedules didn't match, so I went with MoreBeer for Cascade and Crystal in GA, and Goldings in NC....just a couple rhizomes of each.

3. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (114) Jan 10, 2018 California

Long winter here in the foothills of the Sierra’s. Still snowing over the summit. Cold and wet. But I have my Cascade climbing good and my 2nd year Chinook establishing.

4. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (134) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Citra and centennials are only around 5 ft but the cascade is out of control up around 9/10 ft. It even popped up a foot from where i planted it.

riptorn and GormBrewhouse like this.
  5. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,829) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

I thought Citra was available only to commercial growers due to proprietary status.

6. GormBrewhouse

Where did u get citra rhizomes???

SFACRKnight likes this.
  7. chavinparty

chavinparty Initiate (127) Jan 4, 2015 New Hampshire

I missed the memo that cashmere rhizomes were available this year. I’ll have to get them next year. Just one lonely comet plant here about 5 ft up the twine

8. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,093) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

@Brewday, remember that the 'answer' is: "These are not the Citra hops you are looking for".:wink:

Cheers!

9. Brewday

Woops. Meant crystal.

10. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Meyvn (1,284) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Moderator Society

I transplanted my Chinook, Columbus, Centennial, and Blisk to 25 gallon planters in the backyard. Cut everything back and have 2-5 new shoots each popping up.
    [​IMG]
    Should be ready to train by mid June. My Santiam and Cerera are still in the ground beside the planters and are training already. Going to kill off all my others, including what's left of the transplants.

11. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (110) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  12. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (114) Jan 10, 2018 California

Liquid Nutes are your best friend

13. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,829) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Society

Hear the rushing sound of my enthusiastic return to hop-growing leaving my body.

14. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (523) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

Damn! That got me excited...

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  15. riptorn

Trader

When planting rhizomes, any of you know if there's a rule of thumb for N-P-K (nitrigen-phosphorous-potassium) if a soil sample analysis has not been done?
    I'd like to provide enough nitrogen but don't want to burn them.

16. hopfenunmaltz

hopfenunmaltz Meyvn (1,451) Jun 8, 2005 Michigan

Ten years or so back, in a presentation, it was said they need a lot of N from mid May through mid late June. From old memory.

riptorn likes this.
  17. Granitebeard

Weekly dosing with a light all round fertilizer is the best way to go until you get a soil test. You always want more nitrogen (3-8), between phosphorus (1-5), and low potassium (0-3).

I use a product that is at 3-2-1(I believe) for general fertilizing and used bone meal type products for flowers as the big doses but about every 1-2 months.

riptorn likes this.
  18. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (613) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Trader

In South Florida, can’t grow hops here from my understanding. Seems like a lot of work though. But also seems really cool.

19. riptorn

Trader

There's been some measure of success in Central Florida. Maybe there's hope for a cultivar suitable for S. FL.
    http://allaboutbeer.com/florida-looking-next-hops-powerhouse/

This snippet was interesting:
    “We cannot grow as many cultivars, but we were excited about the oil content of Florida hops,” says Pearson. The results were pretty standard—Florida’s hops tested similarly in compounds, until the essential oils. The essential oils came back with double the concentration of those hops grown in Yakima. While research is ongoing, this could be the reality of Florida hops.

hoptualBrew likes this.
  20. memory

memory Initiate (199) Oct 2, 2005 Pennsylvania

I'm in Pa. and have a Cashmere in ground hard to get growing well couple years. Maybe it's the Northern brewer in it as I have some of those that also don't like the environment. Other varieities like cascade, nugget, magnum, centennial grow like mad. Anyone growing cashmere with success?

21. Granitebeard

There is a Malt/Hop grower in Connecticut that is/was growing cashmere at least a year ago. He said he was going to be switching to focus on the malt side of things so am not sure if he still is growing it.

22. GormBrewhouse

I usually place 2 large shovels of composted cow shit around each plant this time of year. I had tested the soil and all was well for growing hops.

Soil testing takes the guess work out of it.

For new plantings, I'd use 10 5 5 or something similR, and work it into the soil around 6-8 inches away from the new plants. Use a couple hand fully per plant. That will get you going

Prep8611 and riptorn like this.
  23. Granitebeard

24. riptorn

Trader

Might be fighting a losing battle for cones this year.
    Rhizomes were set about a month late (only 3’ tall now), they don’t get optimal sun and they’re gonna be trained on Rube Goldberg’s trellis.

On the upside, maybe they’ll do well enough that moving them to a better location will give them a leg up next year…..and I do enjoy learning what to do (and not to do) next.

[​IMG]

#24 riptorn, Jul 3, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
    PapaGoose03 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  25. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,330) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

My chinooks and centennials are both around 15 feet and setting spurs already. Gonna have a sticky dank wet hop this fall.

26. GormBrewhouse

Ripper, don't dismay, they will be fine for next year. If you are going to transplant do it in the spring before any growth emerges. you will have plants started then instead of planting rhizomes. just keep your plants healthy and weed free for this year.

riptorn likes this.
  27. wmscottsimpsonjr

wmscottsimpsonjr Disciple (354) Jun 18, 2018 Missouri

This is the third year for my FIL's hops. This year, they've run out of height on the deck. Definitely a lot of growth. The flowers look so big already, but I don't think they should be ready to pick for several more weeks?

28. GormBrewhouse

Never grew hops in Missouri state. I'd think your still around a month away. Check with your local AG extension office. They will know.

29. wmscottsimpsonjr

Ha thanks. The yield was ok last year, about 7 oz wet.

30. wmscottsimpsonjr

This year, unfortunately, many of the flowers, stems, and leaves have a good deal of browning on them, particularly the first couple feet near the root.

31. GormBrewhouse

There are many state sites for hop deseases and insect damage. Many have. Very detailed pics on them. Worth a. Look for sure.

wmscottsimpsonjr likes this.
  32. GormBrewhouse

Blasting leaf hoppers and a late hatch of aphids tonight.

Fuckers

SFACRKnight and PapaGoose03 like this.
  33. riptorn

Trader

Blasting, huh? Make it a sport by packing this heat.

SFACRKnight and PapaGoose03 like this.
  34. GormBrewhouse

Hahahahahahahahahahaha

Is the nozzel adjustable, hahahahahahahah

riptorn likes this.
  35. riptorn

Trader

I've read that removing the first 3' - 5' of leaves help to keep downy mildew at bay. Is that the type of pruning you do, or are you referring to something else?
    Anyone tried removing the first few feet of leaves, and do you think it helped?

Your facebook link doesn't work for me......says "This page isn't available. The link you followed may be broken, or the page may have been removed."

36. SFACRKnight

Trader

Dor some reason my hops have never had mildew, but my squash plants five feet away get it every year.

37. GormBrewhouse

Ripper, this is a good practice. Picking leafs before you have a problem is beast as is good weed control and maximize air flow. Just make sure u remove the leafs from the field and burn them or send them of property.
    Do not put them in a composite pile.

Systemic fungicides work well on bad years. Good years require no treatment in my yard. In Vt you need a pesticide license. Don't know in your state.

Be sure to remove all infected leafs. Leaving one is one to many. Usually I would have done this in late June before infection got to bad.

Check for spider mites. The spores can attach to their bodies and infect entire plant as they travel up and down the bine.

riptorn likes this.
  38. Granitebeard

Yep, first 3 or 4 feet is what I do. It helps as long as I start early.

For the facebook thing, not sure why it isn't letting you see them. I have it set as public for all to see....

GormBrewhouse and riptorn like this.
  39. SFACRKnight

Trader

I'm setting cones on 15 ft bines. Chinook centennial wet hop this fall.

Granitebeard and GormBrewhouse like this.
  40. Brewday

Hop plants are weird. The cascade grew 3 times faster then the others but their all budding at the same time. What's the correct way to dry these.

[​IMG]