1. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

2019 Midwest Bocks/Maibocks

Discussion in 'Midwest' started by ZAP, Feb 20, 2019.

1. ZAP

ZAP Poo-Bah (3,753) Dec 1, 2001 Minnesota

Consider this a place for thoughts on these spring staple beers that I for one highly anticipate this time of the year.

My early thoughts:

Summit Maibock. Curious if this recipe has been tweaked. A much deeper almost decoction like malt which I never got from this beer before. Much more of a malt dimension and not as hot as previously. Still some nice spicy hops on the finish. Excellent beer this year. Had in a blind taster with Beaver Island and it blew it away and I was a big Beaver Island fan last year.

Beaver Island Maibock: Poor carbonation with the cans and seems a bit under-atenuated. Loved it last year. Might be better on draft but it is not good out of the cans.

Bent Paddle Doppelbock: They do some great stuff at Bent Paddle but personally I think this might be their best beer. A big, chewy sweet doppelbock that brings back faint memories of the old Sam Adams doppelbock but this is sweeter and not as sharp. Still, not close to cloying. Love this beer.

Schell Bock: Sadly this is nowhere to be found up here in northern MN....much like Schell Hefe never makes it this way for some reason.

Lakefront Maibock: Lakefront does not distribute by me but I will be seeking this out in the Twin Cities based on its stellar effort last spring.

Others.......

gudbrande, Bravak and JMN44 like this.
  2. FatBoyGotSwagger

FatBoyGotSwagger Meyvn (1,185) Apr 4, 2009 Pennsylvania

My brother And I had this conversation today about the death of maibock and I concluded it was too early to start a thread until at least March. Cheers!

ZAP likes this.
  3. Timx0r

Timx0r Initiate (134) Feb 2, 2019 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

If you need the Lakefront one let me know!

gudbrande and ZAP like this.
  4. muck1979

muck1979 Initiate (135) Jul 3, 2005 Minnesota

Uteplis has a bock out. I thought it was pretty good when I had it at the taproom a couple weeks ago.

5. KarlHungus

KarlHungus Poo-Bah (3,068) Feb 19, 2005 Minnesota

I noticed the same thing with Summit Maibock this year, and have to say I enjoyed it more than in the past.

ZAP likes this.
  6. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (117) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

Both Uff Da Bock and Cabin Fever (pale honey bock) from New Glarus are on the shelves should you find yourself in Wisconsin. Both solid enough offerings, though I don't think they're the beers they once were.

ZAP likes this.
  7. ZAP

I actually debated on that too but they are all out now so I went a little early with the thread. I do remember the days they were March, April, early May beers.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  8. ZAP

I'll be trying that this weekend..looking forward to it.

9. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

cheeseheadinMinneapolis Initiate (147) Sep 20, 2017 Minnesota

this year Uff Da Bock seems off and not very good.
    more to come later.........working

10. HammsMeASAP

HammsMeASAP Initiate (108) Jun 14, 2012 Minnesota

The Utepils Heller Bock is very tasty.

Not sure what a "heller bock" is though......

Chumley22 likes this.
  11. Chaz

Chaz Poo-Bah (2,030) Feb 3, 2002 Minnesota
    Society Trader

Lighter in color than a traditional (dark brown) Bock, and effectively the same (these days, anyhow) as a Maibock, especially in that both are paler in color.

There was a time* when there was more of a distinction between the two, but as both are older, seasonal styles (and the seasonal blurring happens even in Germany) neither are brewed and marketed quite as often as they once were: Einbecker’s Ur-Bock Hell is pretty much the standard bearer (at least by BJCP style guidelines) for the Maibock style.

*My understanding is that Maibock was a slightly stronger and hoppier beer than Heller Bock.

12. MoPar

MoPar Initiate (96) Oct 28, 2006 Minnesota

Enki's Bock is nice.

13. Bravak

Bravak Initiate (139) Sep 9, 2014 Minnesota

I have to agree that the Summit is outstanding.

ZAP likes this.
  14. Chumley22

Chumley22 Initiate (82) Sep 28, 2013 Minnesota

I think this beer is outstanding, thouroughly enjoying this as well as Schell’s Bock so far this year

15. essessbe

essessbe Initiate (50) Dec 24, 2014 Minnesota

I'll gladly jump on the utepils springbok wagon, was so happy to see it canned this year! I'm quickly becoming a utepils fanboy.

HammsMeASAP and ZAP like this.
  16. MNAle

MNAle Meyvn (1,110) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota

I had a New Glarus Cabin Fever today. See my WBAYDN post.

grantcty likes this.
  17. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

Zap if your coming to cities in the near future don't forget Yoerg. They have some new (different) beers from Germany on tap plus more in the near future. checkout there facebook.

Lakefront Maibock is good, but not as good as last year.
    Oliphant Brewing Xuul is ok, but not as good as last year
    This years Beaver Island Maibock is solid, didn't have it last year.
    Lazy Monk doublebock is maybe a no show this year replaced with KELLEBRATOR lager, Its good too but not great
    Lazy Monk Smoked bock is smoother sweeter but less smoke than last year

more to come sometime snow to shovel now

ZAP likes this.
  18. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (506) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

I’ve been on BA long enough to know that everything was better last year.

KarlHungus and HawkEye19 like this.
  19. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

I am not done yet

mjryan likes this.
  20. ZAP

Except Summit Maibock

mjryan likes this.
  21. morimech

morimech Poo-Bah (3,304) Nov 6, 2006 Minnesota

So happy that Schell's Bock is in cans now. I have bought a case already.

Chaz and JMN44 like this.
  22. HawkEye19

HawkEye19 Initiate (107) Jun 15, 2006 Minnesota

I miss Schell's Maibock

grantcty, KarlHungus and Chaz like this.
  23. Chaz

Society Trader

So far this season I’ve gone through a case each of the Schell and Bent Paddle. Also plowed through two sixes of “Mind Block”, along with a 12-pack of cans.

I’ve also seen the #28 vanilla / bourbon barrel aged doppelbock from Lakefront, and recall liking a similar take on that from a year or so ago, so will definitely try that one next.

mjryan, JMN44 and grantcty like this.
  24. ZAP

Who makes Mind Block?

Any hints on where to find that doppel from Lakefront? Loved the Big Easy from Lakefront back in the day....a dandy of a maibock.

25. Chaz

Society Trader

Mind Block was coined as a shorthand for Summit Maibock quite a ways back, but I now see a few breweries that have that term in the branding of their own Maibock!

The Lakefront should be around at the better Minneapolis and Saint Paul stores. I got my six at Midway Liquor, which is a real honey hole (and sometimes a ‘beer museum’).

cheeseheadinMinneapolis and ZAP like this.
  26. essessbe

essessbe Initiate (50) Dec 24, 2014 Minnesota

On the recommendation of a few people here I also tried the summit maibock. Wow! Something about it just keeps me coming back. Definitely going to go for the twelve pack soon.

27. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

The last week I have been drinking plenty of Maibocks from Summit, Lakefront and Utepils.
    Summit is different and better than the past. Lakefront is not as good as the first bottlings of last year. Then again last years Lakefront maibock may have been the best maibock I ever drank.
    Utepils is good too.
    Which is best? It's pretty close between Lakefront and Summit with Utepils coming in third.
    I have not gone deep into Wi bock hunting due to road conditions, very busy at work, and health issues. I want to get to the Great Dane for Uber Bock, maybe this weekend?

KarlHungus likes this.
  28. mjryan

mjryan Zealot (506) Dec 22, 2007 Minnesota

Good ole Mindblock. Back in the day, one could easily crush a sizer of it, and get wrecked. It’s light color, and flavor hid it’s relatively high ABV, hence the name.

29. grantcty

grantcty Initiate (117) Feb 17, 2008 Minnesota

I had Millstream's Schokolade Bock this weekend and thought it was a solid offering. It's not made with any chocolate, and I didn't think it was cloyingly sweet.

Does Lake Superior still make Split Rock Bock?

Chaz likes this.
  30. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

Bock fest in Saint Paul?:

I see Waldmann Bock is out

Redrover likes this.
  31. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

https://minnesotabreweries.com/events/bockbier-fest

Waldmann's bock is a Doppelbock, different than last years it appears:
    A GERMAN-STYLE DOPPELBOCK, STARRING FLOOR MALTED DARK MALT AND MUNICH MALTS PRODUCING A FULL-BODIED BEER, BALANCED BY CLUSTER AND NOBLE HOPS, WITH A CLEAN, DRY FINISH. 6.6% ABV

Bad Weather might have there maibock on tap???
    Lynlake has there bock on tap: Dirty Magic Bock 6.5% ABV 22 IBU

32. morimech

I will echo others in this thread. This years Summit Maibock is very good.

KarlHungus likes this.
  33. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

Bad Weather Maibock is not on tap yet.
    I went to Herkimer, there bock and social oil (dark lager) are worth trying out.
    Waldmann's is coning out with maibock in the future.
    Lazy Monk maibock is mighty tasty.
    Lynlake bock is ok, but I liked there peanut butter porter better (no longer on tap)

34. islay

islay Aspirant (237) Jan 6, 2008 Minnesota

I tried the Waldmann Doppelbock. Not bad but on the bland side. Overall disappointing given that I consider Waldmann the best brewer of German styles in Minnesota. The Roggenbier, on the other hand, was delicious.

35. cheeseheadinMinneapolis

#35 cheeseheadinMinneapolis, Mar 21, 2019 at 3:53 AM
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2019 at 4:06 AM
    KarlHungus likes this.
  36. nruhlig

nruhlig Initiate (184) Jan 4, 2019 Minnesota
    Society

Thanks everyone for keeping this discussion going. I have a lot to learn and topics like this are very informative.

I picked up a 6er of the Summit Maibock to try. I never would have without this thread.

37. BeerDrinkinGuy

BeerDrinkinGuy Initiate (45) Nov 2, 2018 Minnesota

I came here to post this but its already been posted.

38. morimech

Waconia Brewing still have their dopplebock on. It was released awhile ago. I guess they put most of the batch in rum barrels which would not have been my choice of barrel.

ZAP and JMN44 like this.