2019 Sierra Nevada Celebration Lookout Thread

Discussion in 'New England' started by EnronCFO, Oct 15, 2019.

1. EnronCFO

EnronCFO Zealot (523) Mar 29, 2007 Massachusetts

Sierra Nevada and This Old House had Instagram stories last week showing Celebration on the bottling line. First off, what a cool crossover that is.

But more importantly, if my math is right, that means we should start to see bottles on shelves in the next week or so. My check-ins the last few years tended to start around 10/25 for bottles dated the last few days of September.

I'm always looking out for 12-packs, but 6-packs usually land first. So, let us know when and where you see it!!

2. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (111) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

Damn time is really flying by...

3. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Meyvn (1,119) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Two things I look forward to every fall...

Oktoberfest beers, and @EnronCFO starting this thread.

Aaron58, jaxon53, dannymo24 and 14 others like this.
  4. SunDevilBeer

SunDevilBeer Defender (634) May 9, 2003 Massachusetts

Thx for the reminder. Winding down Ofest & pumpkin season & looking forward to SNCA.

You’re right, usually start seeing last week of Oct.

But in my annual gripe, I hope distro will push it to retailers even though from my anecdotal perspective there’s A LOT of SN Ofest still around (not exactly my fave in the series this year).

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  5. EnronCFO

Better get drinking then.

eaglephile likes this.
  6. jaygates

jaygates Initiate (96) Apr 23, 2007 Massachusetts

I liked the few years (2008/9ish) that it was packaged in bombers.

braineater and EnronCFO like this.
  7. Genuine

Genuine Devotee (437) May 7, 2009 Connecticut

I've been anticipating this thread since seeing their IG Posts as well! Such fond memories of waiting for Celebration to come out! I heard they're using more cinnamon this year :wink:. Truthfully, I've had my share of pumpkin ales, oktoberfests and the like. I'm looking forward to settling down with a pint of two of Celebration while bringing in the holiday season! I saw a couple untapped check in's at SN's taproom however no photos of the 2019 Bottles as of yet.

jaxon53, lic217 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  8. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (364) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

I still get excited for this and it must leave young people scratching their heads wondering what all the fuss is about.

9. Manfrombelmonty

Manfrombelmonty Disciple (309) Sep 12, 2010 Massachusetts

Literally the reason i just popped by this website, is to see if Celebration is out and about yet.
    Oktobers have been nice, I've avoided pumpkin beers like a plague, time for Celebration

Genuine and lic217 like this.
  10. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,882) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Celebration Ale is one of SN's bottle-conditioned beers, so it needs to sit at the brewery for, IIRC, about two weeks, doesn't it?

11. hopley

hopley Meyvn (1,387) Feb 24, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I was just a bottle shop scratching my head trying to find the right six pack to buy for some bulk beer drinkers for later in the month and voila, this thread pops up!! I did end up buying six of Paulaner Marzen / Octoberfest because I'd never had it, and was on the lookout for an old favorite founders Harvest Ale, but am definitely going to grab a sixer of Celebration! Thanks!

Genuine and lic217 like this.
  12. ChazMania

ChazMania Aspirant (206) Jun 13, 2006 California

i can't wait to find this- I usually go through 4-5 12pks a year, and this is usually priced such that it saves me money as I don't buy more expensive beer when I can find Celebration!

EnronCFO, Genuine and lic217 like this.
  13. EnronCFO

Yeah, last week + this week + 1 week for shipping = next week or so?

14. cmoney13

cmoney13 Initiate (133) Sep 9, 2017 Massachusetts

can't wait.

15. dental

dental Devotee (411) Apr 2, 2014 Massachusetts
    Trader

i will make it my yearly resolution to frown upon this thread. not that there are such notions that i dislike celebration, howeverly unsatisfactorily overrated, that I, believe the beer..is, shall be acknowledged, but more-so and ever-becoming is the fact,...i just dont think the beer is that good to be considered great and..can we just get some english milds or ESB or maybe a bar that throws on a cask sometimes?

tldr: less ipa, more Ipa, less worship

16. LukieBL

LukieBL Initiate (111) Jun 10, 2015 Massachusetts

^^dont let the door hit you on the way out, chump

Smokee likes this.
  17. AlcahueteJ

This one's a bit different, it was out WAY before IPAs were a thing, since the '80s.

Also, if you dig English ales and cask I could point you in these directions...

1) NERAX in the spring in South Boston: Four days dedicated to cask ale, many of which are UK casks imported and properly cared for

2) Olde Magoun's often has Fuller's ESB/London Pride on tap, and has three local casks every week, most of the time at least one or two of them are English ales like milds

3) Deep Ellum also often has a cask running, and they know how to care for it

4) Redbones also has a cask on every week...and well, I could keep naming more bars that have casks in and around Boston

5) Cambridge Brewing Co. almost always has a cask on, and they too will sometimes brew English ales that are on cask

6) Notch from time to time will do styles such as English milds

7) Small Change recently canned their English dark mild if you want a canned version

This is all just off the top of my head.

If you're going to bemoan anything, complain about the litany of New England IPAs on the shelves. Not a classic IPA like Celebration Ale that was around well before even Beeradvocate was a website. It's totally cool if you don't dig Celebration, but it's FAR from the issue here. Especially considering it's seasonal.

18. EnronCFO

This post should be required reading. We’ve reached the point where classic beers like Celebration are somehow too trendy because they have too many hops. Give me a break.

19. eaglephile

eaglephile Initiate (142) Jan 12, 2009 Massachusetts

I wish everyone could go through the same beer evolution that I went through between 2007-2013. Brews like Celebration, Hoptimum, Harvest ale, Double Trouble, Ruination, Sculpin, finest kind, etc were the IPAs I sought out, and PtE was king. When I first tasted Heady, Abner, and FPPA, the subtlety was revelatory.

Now people are jumping right into juicy IPAs and there’s no respect for the old school trailblazers like Celebration that got us here. When my son is old enough, I’ll show him the way just like my father did for me, and his father did for him.

Davl22, FrankLloydMike and ChazMania like this.
  20. dental

Trader

it's more about the busting of balls over the thread itself and not really the beer. i think i hated on the lookout thread last year too :stuck_out_tongue:

expect me next fall!

and very informative post alcahuetej, i didn't know most of those points. i don't think i've had anything from small change, but will be on the lookout for that

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  21. dental

Trader

come to think of it, the last hop forward beer i had was SNPA, which i thoroughly enjoyed. definitely respect the old school ipas

lic217 and AlcahueteJ like this.
  22. cmoney13

Medusa Brewing also has a solid rotation of ESBs, Scottish Ales, English Milds & Bitters, etc.

They also routinely have something on cask.

dental and AlcahueteJ like this.
  23. AlcahueteJ

It's not bad, but not nearly as good as some of the better cask Dark Milds I've had.

Definitely worth picking up though, it's decent, and it's the ONLY packaged Dark Mild I know of in MA.

Which works out well, since Celebration is almost like its big brother.

24. EnronCFO

Big red headed brother that only comes home for the holidays.

25. thedaveofbeer

thedaveofbeer Initiate (186) Mar 25, 2016 Massachusetts
    Trader

Were you concussed when your wrote this? I feel concussed after reading it. You might want to check in with a mental help professional- I am going to look forward to drinking a celebration.

26. Genuine

From Untapped check-in’s, it looks like some 6 packs have made it to NY!

AlcahueteJ and EnronCFO like this.
  27. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (97) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Was this in cans last year, or did I dream that?

28. EnronCFO

I know there were cans in a mixed pack one year. Can’t remember if they were ever sold on their own though.

29. soheadyithurts

soheadyithurts Initiate (115) Jan 4, 2013 Massachusetts

Cans were force carbed and not refermented in the can.

30. Justin42

Justin42 Aspirant (219) Apr 3, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I only saw the cans in the mixed 12 pack never on their own

31. cmoney13

I know it's a different beer but can we also give a heads up here if we see Lagunitas Born Yesterday? Totally different fresh hop take but routinely one of my top ipas each year.

32. Genuine

I remember seeing them shortly advertised in a mixed pack but never in my search. And doing a quick google image search doesn’t bring up anything concrete either.

33. juliolugo

juliolugo Initiate (90) Jun 22, 2015 Massachusetts

Saw a bunch at the Wegmans in Burlington yesterday.

34. AlcahueteJ

Picked up some at Pemberton Farms yesterday.

Genuine likes this.
  35. Genuine

36. EnronCFO

I'm in SF early next week. Will try to source it on tap somewhere, and hope to come home to it on shelves around Boston!

37. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (801) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Any sightings yet?

38. nathanb47

nathanb47 Initiate (162) Dec 14, 2010 Massachusetts
    Trader

Getting it at my store on the south shore on Monday

Mikecap, AlcahueteJ, Genuine and 2 others like this.
  39. Genuine

Untapped check ins are blowing up now. Went to a couple stores yesterday and haven’t spotted it yet here in NECT. It’s cold and rainy here today so if I can find some, it’ll totally hit the spot.

Mikecap and AlcahueteJ like this.
  40. Mikecap

Mikecap Champion (801) May 18, 2012 Rhode Island
    Trader

Per Instagram, Celebration arrived at Bier Cellar in Portland, ME.

Here's hoping it'll be in my fridge by the weekend.

EnronCFO, lic217 and Genuine like this.