2019 Sierra Nevada Summerfest

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by scottakelly, May 6, 2019.

1. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (751) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

5 so far! Had it side by side with Sierraveza yesterday. Have the same opinion.

JackHorzempa and AlcahueteJ like this.
  2. Ranbot

Ranbot Champion (858) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania
    Society

I've never really been a fan Prima Pils because it was always more hoppy and palate-tiring than I ever wanted in a pilsner... the pilsner for IPA drinkers...the O.G. of India Pale Lagers. BUT, this reformulation might hit the sweet spot between flavor and refreshment and I am definitely going to give it another try.

Roguer, Scrapss, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  3. invertalon

invertalon Crusader (751) Jan 27, 2009 Ohio
    Society Trader

I loveeeee Prima, but I won't mind a reduction in IBU, either. As long as it keeps that signature, nobel hop character. I welcome the change, even being one of my favorite beers of all time.

4. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (2,206) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois

I've enjoyed a six-pack of the latest Summerfest already this season, and while I agree that it's on the dry side, it's not the same sort of dryness and hop flavor as the SN Brut IPA. The IPA is most definitely hopped as an American IPA and the Summerfest is herbal like a German Pilsner.

The Summerfest also has that crackery malt character as a backbone, not at all like the IPA.

John1985, GetMeAnIPA, Billet and 2 others like this.
  5. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (482) May 9, 2007 Ohio

I liked Sierraveza when it was in the sampler pack (last year?). But the 6-packs do not seem to be fresh and are not moving around here. I would think a 12 or even 15 pack priced similar to Founder's Solid Gold would be the right marketing move with this beer.

6. scottakelly

scottakelly Devotee (482) May 9, 2007 Ohio

Distribution may be picking up a bit in my area. According to SN beer locator at least a few Krogers in my area are carrying it. But otherwise distribution still seems pretty limited, even in the major metro areas here in Ohio.

7. steveh

Check SierraTerence's reply, post #13, for insight into Summerfest's spotty distribution (as of now, anyway).

scottakelly likes this.
  8. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (979) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

Agreed. I've had 5 of my 6 so far and they're delicious.

There might be a slight uptick of sharpness in the hop department (perhaps dryness as well?), but it's a very solid Pils, as always. Definitely not too hoppy, and I'm one to typically call out a Pilsner for being too hoppy.

Roguer likes this.
  9. steveh

Here are a couple excerpts from my review*:
    T -- Starts with a spicy bitterness that fades into a lightly sweet, bready maltiness. Finish is lightly bitter, even slightly citric, but it's a dry, hop finish overall.

D -- Who couldn't love drinking this? The right amount of hop bitterness and good flavor character for those who think Pilsners are lame. The dryness of this beer leans it to a German Pils, and the hop character bears that out.

*My review from 2010. Only change I'd make is replacing bready with crackery.

10. SierraTerence

SierraTerence Initiate (154) Mar 14, 2007 California

This is correct. We will use the opens for a few other beers too, but 100% Kellerweis. Other beers that see opens but not 100% brewed in those tanks are Bigfoot, Hoptimum, Celebration Ale, Narwhal. Mainly ones that are seasonal campaigns and can benefit from blending.

Torpedo has never been brewed in the opens, Pale Ale is no longer in opens and we stopped brewing it in opens around 2000.

Summerfest has always been in uni-tanks, at least from when I started working there in 1994.

Roguer, GetMeAnIPA, Scrapss and 8 others like this.
  11. SierraTerence

We actually now use some lupulin powder for certain "new school" beers. But our historic brands all use 100% whole cone hops.

Roguer, Scrapss, meefmoff and 6 others like this.
  12. dele

dele Initiate (24) Mar 13, 2019 Massachusetts

Summerfest is a fantastic lager that I look forward to every year, so it's disappointing that the shelves in my area are full of old Brut IPA, which I (and apparently others) do not enjoy all that much. It's a shame that this new beer is displacing a classic SN annual favorite.

SierraTerence likes this.
  13. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,022) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

I can envision that since I too found Brut IPA to be disappointing. I did purchase one 6-pack with high hopes but those hopes were dashed.:slight_frown:
    Yup, that is indeed a shame. I suppose that unless somebody comes in to remove the Brut IPAs you are at the mercy of unknowing customers purchasing those 'old' beers?

Cheers!

14. SierraTerence

This will more than likely be the case for a little longer, then it will come in... When this has happened in the past, it has usually been about a month delay to rotate the shelves.

Don't you remember Golden IPA two years ago? :grimacing:

GetMeAnIPA, Scrapss and ESHBG like this.
  15. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (307) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

I've drank a six-pack and it is a very light helles. Not much in the way of hop presence. I found it very refreshing. Nooner Pils is the one I seek out when Summer hits. I hear that Summerfest is a pilsner more in the Czech tradition. I will try it.

Scrapss and ESHBG like this.
  16. steveh

Are you sure you found this year's release?

FBarber likes this.
  17. tolar111

tolar111 Defender (655) Aug 17, 2008 New York
    Society

You're out of luck with Nooner, it's no longer available.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  18. JackHorzempa

Society

Holy Cow! When did this happen?

The beer is not detailed as being "retired" on BA:

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/140/144200/

@SierraTerence, when did Nooner become obsolete?

I am having a dickens of a time following Sierra Nevada!! I recently found out that BFD was discontinued and now Nooner.:astonished:

What's next!?!:confused:

Cheers!

ESHBG likes this.
  19. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (307) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

That is awful news, will have to go with Ozark Lager this summer. I love Radeberger, if I can find it. Will have to try Summerfest.

20. steveh

Apologies, I misread your post and thought you were referencing this year's Summerfest.

Never had the SierraVeza myself, so I can't comment.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  21. tolar111

Society

Defiantly try Summerfest I've yet to try this years version but in the past it was one of my favorites. Was never a fan of Nooner, but I know a lot of people really liked it.

rtrasr likes this.
  22. tolar111

Society

I think it was dropped in January. SierraTerence mentioned disappointing sales back in 7/18
    and the last WBAYDN mention of it was 3/19.

JackHorzempa likes this.
  23. JackHorzempa

Society

The last review posted (see my link above) was April 8, 2019.

Cheers!

tolar111 likes this.
  24. ESHBG

ESHBG Aspirant (248) Jul 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

Re: Nooner I haven't seen it on the site, all of the packs I came across were pretty old and I was sad to hear this but not surprised at all, it's a crowded market in my area and I saw it collecting a lot of dust.

IMO SN has way too many year round/core beers. Trim down the lineup, maybe release some as seasonals or put together a greatest hits mixed pack or something but as I see it now SN is competing with itself on its shelves.

25. JackHorzempa

Society

FWIW, two of the brands listed as being year-round are infrequently brewed and often not available: Stout & Porter.

Sierra Nevada does now have a lot of hoppy beers that are listed as being year-round:

· SNPA

· Torpedo Extra IPA

· Hazy Little Things

· Hop Bullet

· Tropical Torpedo

· Hop Hunter

· Sidecar

Yeah, I suppose those beers listed above are indeed competing with each other.

Cheers!

26. rronin

rronin Initiate (179) Jul 4, 2005 Washington

Concur. Great After Yard Work on a Hot Day kind of beer. Or with street tacos. Or burgers and hot dogs.

27. steveh

Starting to see Summerfest 12-packs pop up around Northeastern Illinois -- a good sign, no doubt.

28. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Meyvn (1,469) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

I love this brew and it was always in my "ice chest" when it first came out and for the most part was in cans. Thats my only disappointment with this brew is that its hardly found in cans around here anymore.

29. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,090) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

This needs to be exclusively in cans...

30. tasterschoice62

tasterschoice62 Meyvn (1,469) May 14, 2014 Rhode Island
    Society Trader

Which is why their Stout and Porter are overlooked. Theyre really good representations of the style. If I see Porter again I will definitely pick some up.

JimKal likes this.
  31. JackHorzempa

Society

Best of luck to you. This beer is not readily available despite being listed as a year-round beer.

Cheers!

32. NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS

NOAA_ALL_HAZARDS Initiate (44) Jul 13, 2017 Illinois

One of my favorite beers by them

33. hillind

hillind Aspirant (246) Apr 24, 2010 Pennsylvania

I can’t remember the last time I saw Porter. I grabbed a six of Stout a few months back that was fresh and it was enjoyable as ever. Haven’t seen that again since either.

34. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,772) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society

Sierra Nevada Summerfest was first released in the mid-1980s, long before SN started canning any of their beers (circa 2011). One of, if not the longest lived "craft lagers" (depending on, I suppose, on where one puts Anchor Steam Beer - not sure about SNS vs contract-brewed Samuel Adams Boston Lager's April, '85 release).

35. SierraTerence

Never thought of it as the longest lasting "craft" lager. It could be, I'll try to dig up the first bottling today.

Not sure if I mentioned it earlier or someone else did, but it is back in 12-pack can format. So if you don't see, it ask for it.

Jaycase, deanzaZZR, FBarber and 2 others like this.
  36. steveh

Are there any old records on Summerfest's history? I seem to remember it was only available in the Chico area in its early days.

I also remember the old label that proudly proclaimed, "Bottom Fermented." I have a t-shirt from 2004, or so, with that old logo -- comes out every year about this time.:wink:

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  37. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,613) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

What was the original New Amsterdam, and didn’t it predate SABL? I remember it being pretty Vienna-ish.

38. AlcahueteJ

AlcahueteJ Savant (979) Dec 4, 2004 Massachusetts

It won the silver at the GABF in 1991 for European Pilsner.

So it goes back at least that far.

deanzaZZR likes this.
  39. JackHorzempa

Society

TongoRad likes this.
  40. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (2,613) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Society Trader

AlcahueteJ likes this.