24th and Madison Ave. NYC

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by pro45, Jan 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pro45

pro45 Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2016 New York

I'll be attending a service near Madison Park and am searching for a bar within walking distance that offers good craft beer, but I'm coming up short. Any one know of any in this area of NYC? The service is in March. Thanks all.

2. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,015) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

I work right there. I hope someone comes up with some hidden gem, but as far as I know the immediate options are a bit thin.

The rooftop bar at Eataly is the closest, and usually has a couple decent options - they’ve had Grimm hoppy or sour options the last couple times I’ve been.

The Cannibal used to be a rip off with a good selection and now just seems to be a rip off with a weak selection.

Taproom 307 is probably a similar distance as Cannibal but frankly I’ve never been tempted to go.

Barcade is probably a 6-7 min walk away (assuming you walk briskly - the granny pace on google maps will tell you 10). Rattle n hum (and a little further, Gingerman) is about the same.

Beyond that (and what I do if I want quality) - Haymaker is a sub 15 min walk.

frozyn, FonyBones, schteve and 3 others like this.
  3. sudeepban

sudeepban Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2008 New York

Not an expert on the area, but I think the Eataly rooftop bar or a 10 min walk north to Rattle N Hum East or Gingerman would be solid options.

4. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (1,822) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

Me and the wife did Taproom 307 a few years ago and I can’t speak to its quality now, they had solid tap options and good food. I’m pretty sure they regularly update their beermenus page.

5. frozyn

frozyn Defender (648) May 16, 2015 New York
    Society Trader

I've met friends there a few times over the past 18 months and this still rings true. The selection isn't as great as say Haymaker or Gingerman, but you're not going to go wrong with a place that has Barrier Money and Prairie Christmas Bomb on tap right now, per Beermenus.

RutgersBeerGuy and guinness77 like this.
  6. MakersNeat

MakersNeat Aspirant (278) Oct 2, 2012 New York
    Trader

I will second Rattle N Hum East, likely your best bet that is close by. The food is mediocre, but the list is usually solid. Ginger Man usually has an excellent list, but is a shitshow most nights anytime after 5pm except maybe Monday/Tuesday. Cannibal should be taken off all lists, no idea wtf happened to that place. The shelves are now half-filled with overpriced widely distributed stuff, and little to no local goodies any more.

Also don't rule out Marta. Sure it isn't a bar, but they have a bar and almost always have Other Half and/or Grimm on tap albeit on the pricey side (not to mention excellent pizza).

7. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,015) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

Yeah good call on Marta

And yeah it’s weird the situ with Cannibal. It always pained me going there when things were “good” because the prices were ridic - but the food was good and they used to have a few rarities - made it bearable once in a while. Now the fridges are bare (noticed same thing at Gotham Market West), filled as you say with pretty generic stuff. The only reason I stop by occasionally (last time was a couple months ago) is that it’s the only place I find can find Pannepot so I occasionally spring for an overpriced bottle.

#7 rozzom, Jan 31, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    MakersNeat likes this.
  8. Berndondervin

Berndondervin Initiate (0) Apr 5, 2015 New Jersey

9. pro45

pro45 Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2016 New York

Awesome suggestions!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.