3 Beans - Best Lion Beer Ever?

Discussion in 'Mid-Atlantic' started by BeerIsland, Mar 7, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeerIsland

BeerIsland Zealot (548) Feb 9, 2003 Pennsylvania

This is a damn fine beer from this facility - who'd a thunk it?

2. BirdFlu

BirdFlu Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2008 New Jersey

Thought it was rather disappointing.. Tries to have the flavor of a strong double stout but has the body of gatorade...

3. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (2,160) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Agreed. First Lion beer I really liked.

4. MisterBisco

MisterBisco Disciple (383) Feb 18, 2009 New York
    Beer Trader

Pretty sure this is a sarcastic response, but I'll just go ahead and be the one to say that I have no idea what a "lion beer" is.

wonothesane42 likes this.
  5. cavedave

Beer Trader

3 Beans is brewed in Pennsylvania by Lion Brewery
    Lion

brooklynbrews likes this.
  6. jesskidden

jesskidden Meyvn (1,220) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Subscriber

Well, now... unless you want "Shane for Sixpoint" to get upset, that should read:

As for the OP - don't care for flavored beers so I'll pass on this one, too. And, mostly for nostalgic reasons I guess, but this one will always be a Lion-brewed favorite of mine, circa mid-1980's.

[​IMG]

ThoreauLikeAGirl and PittRooney like this.
  7. cavedave

Beer Trader

Thanks for the correction. I am sure that it is noted on the cans or packages somewhere. You are exactly right, that is the proper way to describe how it is that Sixpoint beer is made in Pa. at Lion.

8. jesskidden

Subscriber

Oh, too early in the morning, so I see now that I forgot to add a ;) after that correction of your comment.
    ;) < I'm not going to make the same mistake twice - since that was a nice, subtle bit of sarcasm - [wasn't it?] :D

cavedave likes this.
  9. PittRooney

PittRooney Initiate (0) Jan 30, 2011 Pennsylvania

ha ha this just made my day and its only 930

shhh you can't talk about things like that on here, they'll get you

10. phooky

phooky Aspirant (209) Jan 23, 2010 New York

Couldn't agree more, this disappointed me at first... but the flavor is so good, I reach for a 3Beans when I want the flavor of a stout but aren't in the mood for the chocolate syrup body of an imp stout.

11. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,777) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

What is your opinion of the Lancaster beers that are brewed at Lion Brewery?

Cheers!

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Initiate (0) Feb 27, 2012 Virginia

I don't know what else has been brewed at Lion, but 3 Beans is a damn good beer and easily my favorite from Six Point.

pdeepak, markgugs and dar482 like this.
  13. TongoRad

TongoRad Poo-Bah (1,810) Jun 3, 2004 New Jersey
    Beer Trader

I found the Kolsch to be pretty damn solid last year.

I also really like the 3 Beans- taken on its own terms it's quite nice with clear and clean flavors. Since when was being big, thick and borderline-clumsy a prerequisite for being good anyway? Whatever must you guys think of something like Courage Imperial Stout, if that's the way things are nowadays?

cavedave likes this.
  14. BeerIsland

I never drink the cans or bottles so can't speak to them. I actually tried the Rumspringa today and found it pretty good; a little on the honey tasting side but very drinkable. Bill Moore has been telling me how much monitoring he does; both onsite and through reports.

FatBoyGotSwagger likes this.
  15. foureyedgeek

foureyedgeek Initiate (0) Apr 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

I thought Rumspringma was downright undrinkable, I'd be hard pressed tp find a way to cook wih it.

16. jesskidden

Subscriber

Every Sixpoint beer packaged in cans has been brewed at The Lion - there's no canning line in their Brooklyn brewery.

As for other breweries' brands, the list would be a long over the years.

cavedave likes this.
  17. bigfnjoe

bigfnjoe Initiate (0) Oct 22, 2009 Pennsylvania

I liked Resin a lot when it first came out, though I haven't had it in quite awhile.

Lancaster Kolsch was my go to summer beer over the last two years because of the price, but Gansett Summer may replace it this year if I can find a case in the Philly area.

dborginis likes this.
  18. ClockworkOrange

ClockworkOrange Poo-Bah (1,947) Feb 19, 2006 Pennsylvania

Funny thing is that you can't buy Sixpoint anywhere near the Lion brewery (legitimately). Not available in Luzerne, Lackawanna, or Carbon counties. Anyone try the re-launched Steg Porter yet? My favorite of the more recent Lion beers and crushes Ying's offering.

19. BeerIsland

Although I haven't had one in a year or so, I agree it's the better porter.

20. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (2,777) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Supporter

“Bill Moore has been telling me how much monitoring he does; both onsite and through reports.” Good for Bill! It seems that monitoring is an absolute requirement if you contract brew at the Lion.

Cheers!

21. BeerIsland

Why do I have a memory kicking around in my head of Bobcat Goldthwait doing a hilarious routine about Manhattan Gold on the Howard Stern show?

22. nickscatena

nickscatena Initiate (0) Nov 13, 2007 Pennsylvania

i think 3 beans is fantastic. resin is a really good ipa as well.

dar482 likes this.
  23. dar482

dar482 Poo-Bah (3,475) Mar 9, 2007 New York
    Beer Trader

3 Beans and Resin are my favs from them. Should stocked up on 3 Beans when the shelves still had it.

24. kennyo

kennyo Devotee (451) Jan 30, 2003 New York
    Beer Trader

i remember this, i must be old

25. lionking

lionking Initiate (0) Nov 25, 2006 Pennsylvania

Steg Porter was my favorite, dont know if they are still making it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Founded in Boston in 1996, BeerAdvocate (BA) is your go-to resource for beer powered by an independent community of enthusiasts and professionals dedicated to supporting and promoting better beer.

Learn More
  • Our Community

Comprised of consumers and industry professionals, many of whom started as members of this site, our community is one of the oldest, largest, and most respected beer communities online.
  • Our Events

Since 2003 we've hosted over 60 world-class beer festivals to bring awareness to independent brewers and educate attendees.
  • Our Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.