3 Brothers - bottle explosion

Discussion in 'US - South' started by bruindre, Mar 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bruindre

bruindre Defender (646) Jun 20, 2009 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

I recently got my hands on a bottle of 3 Brothers for the first time. Acquired the bottle last week via trade (bottle of Elementary).

Earlier this evening I heard an explosion from my kitchen, where I had my bottle of Elementary (along with other brews). The bottle was shattered - shards of glass everywhere, but the base of the bottle still perched atop a shelf I had originally placed the bottle. It appears that this bottle exploded (as opposed to being knocked down).

Has anyone else had experience with this? The batch of Elementary I got was from the 2/3/2015 packing date. Wanted to give a heads up for those who might be sitting of bottle(s) of their own.

2. Ngntjp

Ngntjp Initiate (0) Jul 29, 2014 Virginia

Man, this is really unfortunate. I've seen pictures of 22 oz bottles of their Daylight Cravings having exploded on here. Apparently 3 Bros is having all sorts of carbonation issues. Too much pressure in DC (and now Elementary), and nothing in the Fut Note bottles. IIRC 3 Brothers is going to force carbonate bottles to remedy this sometime soon, but definitely still a bummer.

3. SlothB77

SlothB77 Devotee (484) Dec 28, 2012 Virginia

Yikes. were any other bottles in the 'cellar' destroyed as a result?

4. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

Do you have a picture?

5. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

This is the first I've heard of elementary.. Hmm

6. NCMonte

NCMonte Initiate (0) Jan 28, 2014 North Carolina

Only in beer brewed by ISIS...

Sorry for the loss of the Beer... Always a shame.

7. bruindre

bruindre Defender (646) Jun 20, 2009 Massachusetts
    Society Trader

Fortunately not. Worst damage to other bottles was stain. Hell of a clean up, though.

Nope thought about it halfway through clean up. It was clearly an explosion situation, though - bottom of the bottle was still on the shelf while rest of the bottle was on the floor. Spray pattern was also consistent with it exploding on the shelf. That or the magic bullet from 52 years ago. #beercsi #beerconspiracytheory

jshusc likes this.
  8. fire34fighter

fire34fighter Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2013 Virginia

I'm in a va face book group and this seems like it's starting to become common problem with their delight craving bottles

9. mancallede

mancallede Devotee (442) Mar 1, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Had a similar thing happen to a bottle of Contortoise back on NYE. Hell of a mess. Sounded like a bomb exploded. Luckily, no other bottles damaged. Hearing about other bottles now makes me want to rush down and quarantine every 3 Brothers beer and never buy another one again.

10. lillitnn92

lillitnn92 Initiate (0) Aug 22, 2009 Virginia
    Deactivated

"and never buy another one again."

You should do that, it will leave more for the rest of us.

thegrimone likes this.
  11. trevord13

trevord13 Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2010 Virginia

At some point you have to stop giving 3 Brothers a pass, and start acknowledging their shortcomings. Resolute Day was a dumpster fire, Horizon Society website issues, Horizon Society deleting orders weeks after being purchased, flat Fut Note bottles, DC bottles exploding, now Elementary bottles exploding?

All that being said I am a Horizon Society member, and hope things turn around for them, as it would be great for the VA beer scene.

LeeEvolved and mancallede like this.
  12. beernuts

beernuts Initiate (0) Jan 23, 2014 Virginia

I agree, but I am not at that point yet. For me, that point likely won't come until it appears that they don't care or aren't actively trying to improve and solve problems. They have been very open and willing to communicate about everything that has happened, accept criticism, make things right with their customers, and assure us that they do care about these issues and are working to improve. I have confidence that as long as they continue to have that attitude, things will work out and they will develop into a strong and consistent brewery.

13. ipas-for-life

ipas-for-life Aspirant (249) Feb 28, 2012 Virginia

Have they offered any type of refund or a way to make up for people who have had exploding beers or under carbed beers? I purchased one of the daylight cravings in NOVA that gushed on me. Thankfully I did not try to cellar it. I have beers waiting on me at the brewery that I am not excited about picking up knowing that they are probably under carbed. The one that was part of the membership whatever. One flat beer not a big deal. But the extras I ordered I am a little pissed about.
    Also had someone tell me their friend picked up a lot of diacetyl from one of the fut notes. That is the first I have heard of it so take it with a grain of salt but with all of the other issues I would not be surprised.

The most disappointing thing to me is they are allowing people to leave their brewery with beer that is either not ready or never will be. I would not have someone leave my brewery with a beer knowing that it is not ready to drink. The daylight cravings I doubt the knowingly sent out infected or overcarbed. But the fut notes they should offer refunds and take the hit. It's going to hurt them but it is the right thing to do.

LeeEvolved and bushycook like this.
  14. lillitnn92

Deactivated

The Fut Note under carb issue has all been explained by this point. Someone recently opened one and it had carbonation, not a lot, but it was there. Perfectly fine for the style. Give them time and they should be even more carbed, at least I hope. Harrisonburg (most of the country actually) went through a really cold spell around the time before release. Unfortunately, it may have slowed things down when they had the bay doors opened when loading kegs/dumping mash/unloading bottles and cans etc. Adam said that could have played a hand in it, so it might be best to hold onto the FN's for a while.

DC's, I can't really say, I mean I've heard the probable reason they are over carbed, but I don't know the details. That too has also been answered as well as telling everyone to put them in the fridge to slow it down. I was victim of an exploding bottle myself, but it was sort of my fault for procrastinating and leaving it in the cabinet after I knew it could happen. I stuck one in the fridge though and have yet to open.

Elementary, first I heard of that with them.

Website issues, out of their hands as stated by the many emails that were sent out.

I'm not even going to drag "Resolute" Day back up because, well, dead horse, beating.

15. TomCat11

TomCat11 Defender (607) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

The brewery has responded and asked that anyone who had an issue with DC to send them an email directly and they will make it right. They have bent over backwards and are doing the right things to correct the issues and accommodate customers who have had a bad experience recently with their bottles.

lillitnn92 likes this.
  16. blacknyellow20

blacknyellow20 Aspirant (285) Dec 28, 2012 Ohio

Is this true? I sent them an email about my DC bottle and got no response.

17. jorrx003

jorrx003 Aspirant (251) Apr 8, 2010 Florida
    Trader

If you think they have had website issues I hope for your sake you aren't an el catador member

lillitnn92 likes this.
  18. SwillBilly

SwillBilly Initiate (0) Feb 4, 2004 Virginia

I bought a sixer of Elementary a few weeks ago. Everyone I tried was a gusher. Still have a few in the fridge. Too bad because it really takes away from what I think would be a solid beer.

19. Iamjeff6

Iamjeff6 Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2013 Virginia

Id liked to know if this is true also, I have pics posted in the Horizon Society thread about the bottle of mine that exploded. I sure hope the other 10 bottles I have of DC stay intact.

20. TomCat11

TomCat11 Defender (607) Jul 21, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

One of the brothers has been very active with responding to the Daylight Cravings issue on several of the local fb pages. The Elementary Issue is apparently a new one. Not sure about the Fut Note but in either case, their response ends with them asking people to shoot the brewery an email and they would take care of you. I do not know any email other than info@threebrosbrew.com so would assume that's the best path.

Iamjeff6 likes this.
  21. Mipper

Mipper Aspirant (233) Dec 14, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I recently had a DC gusher as well. It's too bad b/c what I saved was damn tasty.

I am giving them the benefit of the doubt ad they have been responsive and I believe take a great interest in what they do. I am hoping the carb issues get fixed and we can all enjoy great beer.

22. lillitnn92

Deactivated

As someone who gets to chat with Adam quite a bit, I can promise you that he wants to do the best he can do for us. The issues are unfortunate and it affects him greatly, I see and hear it when I talk to him. He's got so much on his plate and they are doing their best to give us the best. As much as they do, they still are but a small brewery. There are only like 10-12 people there I believe, which I find amazing considering some of the other places around the state that are the same size or smaller having more employees.

Got to have a bottle share with him and a few other friends Monday night and we discussed some of these things. He doesn't like it anymore than you guys do. When things happen, he makes changes to avoid it from happening again. That's what he did with Resolute Day starting Horizon Society. Fut Note carbonation will be different on next release as well to avoid the current issues some are seeing. Etc. There are big plans for this year, and other things happening and so on. IF I remember correctly, several big name and larger breweries had issues with products in 2014 and I don't remember seeing those people saying they would stop buying from them. I think it's only fair to extend the Brothers the same curiosity and not writing them off yet. Just my two cents. :slight_smile:

#22 lillitnn92, Mar 26, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2015
    Ngntjp, Mipper, thegrimone and 3 others like this.
  23. thegrimone

thegrimone Initiate (0) Mar 12, 2011 Virginia

Could this be evolution in the fermentation tank/bottle? I'll explain my far fetched idea. Of the trillions and trillions of yeast in a fermentation tank only a few thousand have the genetic mutation to eat the complex maple syrup sugars and withstand the higher ABV. So as the yeast without this mutation die off these others are slowly reproducing leading to the brewers checking the gravity to see little to no change and assuming they are done. While little did they know the mutants were rising in number waiting to be bottled/keged and reek havoc on those foolish enough to warm store their beer. Muhahaha

Or I could just be a mistake that some how will happen again and again. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon the mutants will rise again.

24. raveskdr

raveskdr Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2009 Virginia

Hey guys,

If you have Elementary with a bottle date of 2/3, you need to quarantine them ASAP. Get them in a fridge and/or dump them. That batch is completely overcarbonated and there are many issues with exploding bottles. We cleared as much of it off the shelves here in NoVA that we could. If you see some in Arlington/Alexandria/Fairfax, please PM me and let me know how much and where. Elementary was a fantastic beer, but that one batch is going to be a gusher at best, and a bottle bomb at worst. Had my own issue with some overnight on Friday.

25. Slack

Slack Meyvn (1,003) Feb 14, 2012 Virginia
    Trader

What about DC bottled 2/11?

26. raveskdr

raveskdr Initiate (0) Oct 10, 2009 Virginia

All of the Daylight Cravings have overcarb issues. Definitely keep those in the fridge.

27. ncaudle

ncaudle Initiate (0) May 28, 2010 Virginia

maple is not complex sugar, it is a very simple sugar that all yeast can eat easily.

funkybottoms and bushycook like this.
  28. HopAttack3

HopAttack3 Initiate (0) Sep 15, 2011 Virginia

Shipped off 4 total DC's to my trading partners in NC and SC, with very strict instructions to keep them in the fridge and be careful opening and pouring, none of the bottles exploded in transit, the last 3 were delivered on Saturday. They all wanted the bottles, regardless of the issues that have popped up...they were all fine with it.

lillitnn92 and Iamjeff6 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.