4-Pack Furious

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by bacher468, Jan 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bacher468

bacher468 Devotee (493) Mar 1, 2007 Pennsylvania

Sorry ahead of time. Just so f@&$ing sick and tired of six packs being converted to 4-packs and magically now they're much more expensive but not really! -- "See it used to be $11 or $12 for a six pack. So a 4-pack is almost as many and $10 is less so no big deal! But NO WAY am I plopping $15 on a sixer, that's outrageous!"

But I guess they're selling right? Just like $10 bombers that people will scoop up when no one in their right mind would spend $30+ for a sixer.

LAP IT UP ENGLISH PIG-DOGS! YOUR FATHER WAS A HAMSTER, AND YOUR MOTHER SMELT OF ELDERBERRIES!

2. Foyle

Foyle Savant (984) Sep 29, 2007 North Carolina

I have noticed the same trend. The "4 pack converters" haven't sold any product to this beer drinker.

3. 1eyed_jack

1eyed_jack Initiate (115) Dec 19, 2012 Illinois

Umm....just so you know. Surly 4-packs are 16 oz cans, so...yea...close to a 6-pack

And it's still $10-$12, not $15. If you're paying $15 blame your stores, not Surly.

4. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,368) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Shoot, I thought this might be a Surly appreciation thread...Furious rocks!

5. Ilovelampandbeer

Ilovelampandbeer Initiate (0) Aug 25, 2013 New York

You are a very passionate lad, arent you

6. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,348) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

No one would spend $30 for a 6 pack. In their right mind even? Lol.

7. EveningCordial

EveningCordial Disciple (300) Apr 29, 2014 New Jersey
    Trader

It's called inflation and cost of living is always on the rise. No offense meant, but the biggest shocker to me is why people don't understand that nothing will stay the same price and everything will go up in time. A house in the 1920s averaged $8,000 and tuition at Harvard was $200 a year. Don't buy the beer if you don't want to but this happens in all walks of life.

#7 EveningCordial, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    bld81, SomethingClever, ceeg and 2 others like this.
  8. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (1,935) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

I'm confused... are you talking about Surly Furious (Surly has always canned in 16 oz 4 packs), or is "furious" describing how you fell about those selling 12 oz 4-packs @ the former 6 pack price?

mmgibber, Mnmaverick, broodog and 5 others like this.
  9. riverlen

riverlen Aspirant (213) Sep 16, 2009 Illinois

Welcome to right sizing. I remember when the can of coffee was a pound, 16 ounces, then it became 14 ounces, now it's 12 or even 10. The quart of pasta sauce was a quart, 32 ounces, then it became 28 ounces, then 26 and now it's 24 or even 23.5. Paper products, paper towels and toilet tissue used to be larger then today's mega rolls, boxes of Kleenex and similar products are a shadow of their former selves (the box is the same size, they just hold less product). People in the industry say it's either downsize the package or raise the price. Sometimes they say they are responding to consumer demand in making the product the size that consumers want. Apparently there is a large contingent of consumers who are demanding less product for their money. I've even seen that right here on BA, yup, I have seen people say they only want one of any beer because they have 4,000 or so others to try.

Personally, I don't like downsizing, if it always came in a 4 pack, ok, but going from 6 to 4 is not cool, just like the 11.2 ounce bottle is not cool, for every 12 bottles you buy you are only getting the equivalent of 11 twelve ounce bottles. Some people are OK with that, I am not, lol! Would you just shrug it off it you were purchasing a 12 pack and the cashier reached in there and removed a bottle? I don't think so! Well I don't want the brewer to do it either!

jrnyc, Foyle and Loveyourbeer like this.
  10. IAmJacksHopTongue

IAmJacksHopTongue Initiate (100) Jan 19, 2013 Indiana
    Trader

Great question. I am confused.

11. 1eyed_jack

Damn....I wasn't confused when I entered the thread, but now I am thanks to you!

Mind blown!

barrybeerdog likes this.
  12. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,348) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Yeah, I'm guessing it is the latter with Sierra Nevada Bigfoot being the root of the complaint. :stuck_out_tongue: I have always thought of it as being, too big of a bargain from the first time I bought it. It is still a bargain at the diminished quantity, me thinks.

creepinjeeper and KarmicSkrambl8 like this.
  13. gatornation

gatornation Poo-Bah (6,387) Apr 18, 2007 Minnesota
    Society Trader

I think he is furious over 4pk conversions from 6 pk not about Furious the brew

Mnmaverick likes this.
  14. striker2160

striker2160 Disciple (355) May 5, 2013 Minnesota
    Trader

This thread is hilarious....you guys had me laughing so hard I think some beer came out of my nose. I am pretty sure this thread doesn't have anything to do with Surly just someone who is surly.

15. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Which US Brewers are using 11.2 oz bottles? (Non US breweries don't count since 11.2 (330 ml) is the European standard size.)

#15 drtth, Jan 3, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
    jds16, pagriley and DIM like this.
  16. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Defender (634) May 29, 2011 Florida
    Trader

Supply and demand

Phigg1102 likes this.
  17. Justdoit1234

Justdoit1234 Crusader (712) Jan 24, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Exactly. And I think he worded the title that way to be funny and confuse people.

Phigg1102 and KarmicSkrambl8 like this.
  18. bacher468

Talking about 6 packs that are 4 12oz. I think that was pretty evident. And a beer that was $11 or $12 for 6 is now $10 for 4, or something similar. Thanks for playing though.

Phigg1102 likes this.
  19. bacher468

Ummm. Just so I know. I just got the Surly thing. Sadly, I live in PA. We don't get Surly, and we just got internet about 2 months ago. Sooo....

Phigg1102 and Connortripp like this.
  20. riverlen

If it irritates me it counts. Not all European imports use the 11.2 ounce bottle. Some have found the US market to be large enough to use the 12 ouncer for us.

21. bacher468

YES! AND Ice Cream too! Used to be a half gallon!

Jmitchell3 likes this.
  22. riverlen

Exactly! If they make those any smaller they're going to be a quart!

KarmicSkrambl8 likes this.
  23. 1eyed_jack

I heart this thread!

BAs are so weird, myself included!

24. drtth

drtth Poo-Bah (4,006) Nov 25, 2007 Pennsylvania

Well... Good luck with your struggle.

25. riverlen

It's really not a struggle, lol. It's more of a commentary. It's Beer O'Clock now!!!

26. offthelevel_bytheplumb

offthelevel_bytheplumb Devotee (410) Aug 19, 2013 Illinois

Worst thread of 2015.

27. bacher468

I am serious. And don't call me surly.

28. Patbrown2

Patbrown2 Initiate (130) Nov 27, 2013 Connecticut

Or....the best thread of 2015. (...though its no Celebration vs Celebration)

KarmicSkrambl8 and Valleyview06 like this.
  29. scream

scream Meyvn (1,268) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

From my perspective what is put out in 4-paks is generally considered by the brewery to be one of their special brews. Many times that is true and sometimes maybe not so much. Or, maybe they just do it to confuse us old farts. If the price point scares you away then do not buy it. I remember when candy bars were $.05 and gas $.25. Doesn't mean I no longer buy them though.

Enjoy your beer whatever it may be.

30. SmashPants

SmashPants Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2012 Australia

I could understand why initially the 4-pack became a thing - so that the very top-end beers could still be marketable and similar pricing to the standard 6-packs instead of at least 50% more. But now? It just seems like every boofhead brings out a 4-pack of ordinary beer just to appear premium and charge more per unit.

The problem is that the majority of them aren't, and that negatively affects the top-end beers, who would actually benefit from providing 4-packs. That's the problem - wherever it is conceived a buck can be made, the big corp's will try it on. Oh well.

31. SmashPants

SmashPants Initiate (0) Jun 24, 2012 Australia

$30 6-packs are a thing in Australia. Mind you we have enormous taxes on booze so the politicians can spend all the money on themselves (recent back-bencher 50% pay rise to $182,000 p.a. - hooray!). So in Australia, the 4-pack makes sense - but only for the more expensive craft beer per my last post :slight_smile:

jhartley likes this.
  32. Connortripp

Connortripp Initiate (116) Oct 1, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Most entertaining thread of 2015 thus far.

33. jds16

jds16 Defender (602) Sep 21, 2007 Ohio

If you're talking about Bigfoot, I think the switch is fair because they weren't making money on it in 6-packs. Bigfoot went from Best Bargain to fairly priced. Founders Red's Rye made that switch, and then my impression was that nobody bought it because it was overpriced. Can't think of any others that made that switch.

Overall, I find it more palatable to pay $10 for a 4-pack of premium stuff than $15 for a 6-pack. But then, I'm the kind of sucker who's happy to buy 11.2 oz bottles of imported Belgian and English beers and not feel cheated that they don't use the same stupid measurement system the US uses.

34. jhartley

jhartley Poo-Bah (2,820) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

If it's a specialty release with a fairly high abv, I can understand why it's a 4 pack and not a 6 pack. That doesn't necessarily mean I agree with the practice, just that I can somewhat understand.
    Oh and then there's this:
    :slight_smile:

creepinjeeper likes this.
  35. KarmicSkrambl8

KarmicSkrambl8 Disciple (377) Dec 21, 2014 California

another epic example of why I love the BA Nation

the flow of discourse and debate and diatribe....

those who do and don't take themselves too seriously....all over the spectrum...from pretentious to sarcastic/self-deprecating...from clueless to hilarious (intentional or not)

but...the common thread...the love of the elixir...that drives us all...

bless us all.....(as Led Zep cries/plays out..."Dazed and Confused"...indeed, most apropos)

Beers Up!!!

36. Can_if_you_can

Can_if_you_can Crusader (793) Mar 15, 2012 Minnesota

Don't think this had anything to do with surly or furious, plus furious sucks and is THEE MOST OVERRATED IPA I know of....SUCK IT SURLY. see I can be passionate too!

jrnyc and Phigg1102 like this.
  37. Phigg1102

Phigg1102 Crusader (783) Sep 29, 2013 New York

That was hilarious! I knew the misunderstandings were going on from the get go. I think that there are so many beer names now that we're bound to have these misunderstandings from time to time.

Justdoit1234 likes this.
  38. 1eyed_jack

[​IMG]

marvin213 likes this.
  39. jakecattleco

jakecattleco Poo-Bah (2,368) Sep 3, 2008 California
    Society Trader

Overated is underated, furious is delicious, and both are fairly priced in my experience...even if they do come in a 4pk.

Justdoit1234 and marvin213 like this.
  40. Justdoit1234

Justdoit1234 Crusader (712) Jan 24, 2014 Minnesota
    Trader

Funniest guy on BA since Bitzy IMO. LMAO

striker2160 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.