4% to 5%--New Entries?

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by dcw6363, Aug 27, 2019.

1. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,734) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

Hey, how did the Dakotas get drawn into this? We don't have any limits on ABV or other puritanical BS.

dukeandduke and Bitterbill like this.
  2. dcw6363

dcw6363 Initiate (76) Nov 11, 2009 Utah
    Trader

LOL it's not that bad, really. Well, the tap beer cap sucks the big one. But the selection in the liquor stores is... tolerable. We get Odell, Melvin, Deschutes, Firestone Walker, and some other regional stuff. We get SN, Stone. My store carries the whole Ayinger line so I load up on that.

If you are a big specialty stout or DIPA chaser, you're out of luck. But I kind of stick to the basics and it's fine.

Plus great hiking and skiing!

dukeandduke, woodchipper and Squire like this.
  3. Giantspace

Giantspace Crusader (721) Dec 22, 2011 Pennsylvania

Lets start with DC.

Enjoy

dukeandduke and Squire like this.
  4. champ103

champ103 Poo-Bah (4,528) Sep 3, 2007 Texas
    Society

It can often be the case for UK bottled beer to have higher abv than the cask version. They pretty much need a bigger beer to get the same flavor/character/body as the cask version. Those are not added as two different beers to my knowledge.

dukeandduke likes this.
  5. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (1,850) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Most of the macro brewers have long offered both a "Not More than 3.2 by Weight" (4.0% abv) beer and a "regular" one under the same brand name. (Though they are slowly dying out as the final "Three point Two" states change their laws). Would have thought a Utah resident would be all too familiar with those.:grin:

You can see many of them on the MillerCoors Nutritional Info pdf, page down to bottom to find the 5 page section entitled Lower Alcohol Product Brand Nutritional Data.
    [​IMG]

Bitterbill and seakayak like this.
  6. IPAExpert69

IPAExpert69 Aspirant (211) Aug 2, 2017 Pennsylvania
    Trader

But 2 of you getting 4 senators for like 800 people is ridiculous! Merge already :grin:

7. dcw6363

dcw6363 Initiate (76) Nov 11, 2009 Utah
    Trader

Yeah, the way I stated it, I was clearly wrong. Bud and Miller etc. obviously had two different % beers with the same name, this is what prompted the move from 4% to 5% in the first place. (The big boys didn’t want to make the 4% stuff anymore just for Utah.)

I was thinking of Utah breweries: I wasn’t aware of a Utah brewery that had a beer at 4% and a higher strength beer with the same name. There could be some though, I didn’t really research it

#47 dcw6363, Aug 29, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2019
    dukeandduke likes this.
  8. bbtkd

Society Trader

We'd kick the crap out of ND, because we have the B1 and B2 bombers based here, and outnumber them. :wink:

9. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,833) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I've not had a beer from either of the Dakotas but those Dot's from the north sure are tasty. Just don't read the ingredients list..

dukeandduke likes this.
  10. bbtkd

Society Trader

Yeah, doesn't matter what size bag you buy, one serving = one bag

Bitterbill likes this.
  11. rtrasr

rtrasr Disciple (311) Feb 16, 2009 Arkansas

Ozark Pale Ale @ 4.3% abv really shines.

12. AWA

AWA Aspirant (255) Jul 22, 2014 California

That is a damn fine reason to move. You should come to California. WE don't have laws like that. And we put bars in our movie theaters and grocery stores. I can;t go 50 feet without someone waving a beer in my face.

13. IPAExpert69

Trader

I'm cool with you fighting it out :joy: THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE TRUE DAKOTA

bbtkd and AWA like this.
  14. IPAExpert69

Trader

Been to Cali numerous times, this is indeed accurate. The two most common things in California are someone asking you for spare change, and someone offering you a taster of craft beer!

stevepat, Bitterbill and AWA like this.
  15. AWA

AWA Aspirant (255) Jul 22, 2014 California

Yeah. They don't really ask for change anymore. They mostly demand it.