450 North Brewing

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by jwenig, Feb 27, 2019.

1. jwenig

jwenig Initiate (140) Feb 10, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone have any info on this Friday's release. Going to my first one and I have no clue what to expect. Why is there not one thread open already?

2. Kraz

Kraz Initiate (197) Feb 12, 2018 Indiana
    Society Trader

Anyone on here a regular of theirs? I have made the trip down there a few times for fresh cans and they distribute all around my area and I had a very hard time finding consistency in their beers. Last time I gave them the real college try was over the summer but it was the same as I remember, decent but inconsistent and forgettable.

3. cmukid87

cmukid87 Disciple (309) Jan 30, 2017 Michigan
    Trader

Anyone know the average costs of their cans? Slushy, nugget varieties?

4. adschal1

adschal1 Initiate (18) Dec 7, 2018 Ohio
    Trader

I think regular slushies (6% ABV) are usually $18.50 per 4 pack. XL slushies (8%) are $22.

5. Kraz

Society Trader

Yeah, fruited IPAs (fresh froot) are always 20. Single hopped IPAs are 16, doubles are 18-20

6. nw2571

nw2571 Initiate (53) Feb 26, 2017 Indiana

I generally try about everything from them except the slushies as I live within 10 miles. Just can't get into that style.

In general their beers that see distro are not very good. I would say they are inconsistent on the okay to very good scale on their limited release IPAs. I rarely get a bad one or a great one. I do tend to really like their triples and milkshakes.

Kraz likes this.
  7. nw2571

FYI... They announce prices and allotments for every release on Facebook.

8. nw2571

450 N jumping on the Sour IPA bandwagon with the next release. It's a style I haven't had. Looking forward to trying something different from them.

9. Kraz

Society Trader

450 north probably goes through more lactose than any other brewer besides hudson valley

10. nw2571

I like their milkshake IPAs, probably because they are lactose/vanilla bombs. They other (few) examples of the style I've had are lacking in that quality and have always come across as grassy IPAs with fruit.

I dislike their stouts in general though. This sour IPA will be a new experience for me. I will be curious to see how those more familiar with the style compare 450 N's attempt, if for no reason more than to help me ground myself in what the style is supposed to me.

11. Circleo12

Circleo12 Disciple (399) Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Trader

I just wish their fruit stuff was stable enough to ship down South without explosion, as I'd love to have a constant trade going with it. Only had one, but I loved it.

12. Buddhaa

Buddhaa Initiate (52) Mar 10, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

So I am driving to Nashville from Chicago and was going to hit 450 on the way to or from. Leaving on a Thursday and coming back on a Sunday. Do cans ever last the whole weekend or so they sell out every Friday?

13. Kraz

Society Trader

The slushys normally sell out while there is still a line. The froot is going to sell out too. The only thing that might be around are IPAs. They have been dropping single and double IPAs sporadically through the week and keeping them in their cooler in the restaurant for to-go, so you might have luck there.

DIPALover and nw2571 like this.
  14. stevegoz

stevegoz Aspirant (274) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

Anyone else experience a geyser upon popping a Bahamamama XL Slushy!?!?

15. Kraz

Society Trader

Sounds like it wasn't stored correctly. Maybe heated up and started fermenting again

16. nw2571

Had a glass of Sapphire today, and it was a solid meh for me. Sour OJ, basically. This appears to be another series, like the Slushies, that I can just ignore. I'd be curious to know how others think this one compares to others in the "style."

The strawberry/banana Fresh Froot lived up to my high expectations for the FF series. A vanilla bomb with strawberry and a hint of banana.

Our waitress said that today's line was the biggest they've had (and it was cold and windy today). Looks like the 450N hype isn't going away anytime soon.

17. atkins666

atkins666 Initiate (42) Mar 19, 2015 Indiana

I had an infected cocoa nuggets once from 450. With the amount of beer they're producing, and the different types things can happen.

I messaged them on Facebook about it, they were super cool about it and shipped me a mixed four pack and a bunch of swag. YMMV.

jaysker95 likes this.
  18. strohme2

strohme2 Meyvn (1,263) Nov 3, 2007 Michigan
    Society Trader

What, if any, 450N beers make it to distribution? Heading down to Indy next week but won't make it down to the actual brewery.

19. JNeimer

JNeimer Initiate (21) May 16, 2018 Ohio
    Trader

A buddy of mine has had it happen for two cans. His cans went overnight in a non-refrigerated state though, so the re-fermentation seems likely there. His raspberry jam and blackberry dessert slushies did as well and haven't been a problem though. The area where they were stored overnight is very cool and it's unlikely the temp ever reached above 50F though. It sucks if they're THAT sensitive.

stevegoz likes this.
  20. nw2571

Their distributed beers are not very good in my opinion. Fountain of Juice might be your best option if you can find it. I think Citrafest and Scarecrow regularly see distribution as well.

GuyFawkes and strohme2 like this.
  21. Circleo12

Circleo12 Disciple (399) Nov 12, 2012 South Carolina
    Trader

Any of you 450 regulars, have a hankering for some southern goods, on a consistent basis?

I've loved all of my goods this week, from a trade, especially Strawbana Fresh Froot...

nw2571 likes this.
  22. nw2571

The Fresh Froots are generally good. If they re-release mango or peach, seek them out. Both were excellent. I usually enjoy their TIPAs as well. Black and Gold Nuggets were both superb.

Unfortunately their release schedule doesn't work for me, and I don't like paying that much for their cans, even if I could stand in line every other Friday. Fresh Froot and Triples are regularly $20/4 I'll have to continue to enjoy their beers on draft.

23. stevegoz

stevegoz Aspirant (274) May 5, 2008 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, that's why I brought it up -- happened to three people with a MoRE release and the Chicago beer mob surrounded the brewery with pitchforks and demanded reparations. Happened to me and two friends and a number of folk on Untappd and it's all shrugs. (I opened my can six days after release; I took possession of it and fridged it three days after it came out. Guy who picked 'em up didn't fridge immediately though.)

24. JNeimer

JNeimer Initiate (21) May 16, 2018 Ohio
    Trader

So how did the deli style release go? As someone who occasionally makes the trip from over 2 hours away, I'm very curious to hear how it went today. I was surprised (and discouraged) to see from their IG post that they'd already distributed 275 numbers by 9:15! That's insane. I'd be curious to know at what number people stopped getting everything they wanted.

25. nw2571

Any feedback yet on the two latest ticketed releases? I'm curious as well.

26. Kraz

Society Trader

The latest releases seem slightly better, but, from what a few people have told me that go to every release said unless you are showing up around 6-7am you can forget about getting cans of everything.

450 North needs to adjust their limits, it seems

27. Kraz

Society Trader

http://www.450northbrewing.com/beerfest/

Their cornmaze beerfest tickets are live.

This event is actually really fun, they always have really solid bands and the weather is beautiful that time of year. You get lost in a massive field and turn up at random brewers.

It is generally just Indiana brewers but this year they've said its going to be brewers from all around, so here is to hoping some of the big hitters show up considering 450s recent collabs.

bellalovesbeer likes this.
  28. bellalovesbeer

bellalovesbeer Initiate (28) Jul 29, 2009 Indiana

It is a great event but the last two years the weather has been unseasonably hot! Definitely worth the money for VIP tickets too

29. nw2571

Has 450N officially jumped the shark? Their newest beer series is the Slushmellow series. Slushies (fruited sours) with vanilla and marshmallow added.

Kraz likes this.
  30. Kraz

Society Trader

My teeth and gums ache just reading it

But people will buy it, I'm sure. They have had their biggest turnouts for like the last 3 consecutive releases

31. mayorQuimby

mayorQuimby Devotee (455) Jun 5, 2009 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Not if well executed...the Bruery has been crushing it with their Bruesicle beers that sometimes have those characteristics, and Southern Grist here in Nashville have released a handful of unbelievable sours in their Hill series with copious amounts of vanilla or marshmallow included.

nw2571 and jaysker95 like this.
  32. nw2571

Alright. You've convinced me to try it. Hey at least they have a new triple in the next release as well.

33. nw2571

34. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (181) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

If I pass through around 12:30-1:00ish on Friday, would I still likely be able to grab any of the IPAs being released to-go and grab a table for lunch? It's kind of out of my way, but with the number of slushies being released, I'm wondering if the IPAs might stick around and make a detour worth it.

TIA

35. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (244) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Yes, you should be fine to get some/most friday if it's anything like the last release. According to IG from the last release, 5 of the cans didn't sell out on friday.

Glad me some cans next time you visit CA :slight_smile: j/k!

KCUnited likes this.
  36. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (181) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Ha! Hoping to get back that way sooner rather than later.

Thanks for the post, didn't even think to look at their past IG posts.

37. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (244) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

yeah, they seem to keep everyone updated on releases. Some of the cans may sell out super early, but you'll definitely be able to get some.

enjoy!

38. Bburns87

Bburns87 Initiate (105) Jun 11, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

Why is it so damn hard to find a trade partner for this stuff!?

39. CaptainFleeker

CaptainFleeker Defender (679) Aug 27, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Someone from Indianapolis might be able to answer better than I but based on my observations I think it's probably a combination of things:

• A lot of people who attend these releases, similar to other "hot" breweries, are looking to quickly flip these for cash, pay the rent, etc.
    • There's not a lot of beer from the Columbus/Indianapolis area that has national interest like 450 North slushies so this is their shot to trade their local beer for national heavy hitters they may not otherwise be able to get. Not a knock on Indy, this happens everywhere.
    • I truly think most people who attend the releases, both locals and those who travel to their releases, consume the beer they buy. I just don't think there is the same level of interest in trading in that geographic area like there is here in Chicago.

cbusnoles and GuyFawkes like this.