47 Hops Spring Sale $4.47/#

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by jbakajust1, May 10, 2018.

1. jbakajust1

jbakajust1 Moderator (1,278) Aug 25, 2009 Oregon
    Premium Member Beer Trader

If you haven't already heard, 47Hops has sadly filed for bankruptcy. They have pounds of 2016 pellet hops going for $4.47 per pound. The website is swamped so be patient. I got a couple pounds of Azacca and a few of El Dorado shipped for like $30. Good luck.

http://www.47hops.com/buyhops

2. TooHopTooHandle

TooHopTooHandle Initiate (174) Dec 20, 2016 New York

thanks for spreading the love

47Hops and GormBrewhouse like this.
  3. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (136) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina

Yep, they're definitely overloaded with traffic.
    The $4.47/lb price applies to at least 1/2 pound and full pound packs. Tried to see if that rate applies to all sizes (which it probably does) but the pages are so slow to load.....heck, can't even check out to give them my money.

Thanks for the heads-up.

47Hops likes this.
  4. jbakajust1

I had the same issues. I finally called them to see if I could order over the phone/email. They looked up the order and found it had indeed processed. They said the tech guy would fix the crashing issue, tons of pending orders would flood in, the system would go down, tech guy, flood, crash, and so it goes.

5. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (186) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Tks. I'll try late tonight. Are these flushed and vacuum sealed.

6. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (175) Jan 10, 2018 California

Had no problem. Thanks @jbakajust1, picked up 1/2 lb. each of CTZ, Centennial, Mandriana Bavaria, and Azacca.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  7. Prep8611

Prep8611 Disciple (301) Aug 22, 2014 New Jersey

Thanks for sharing. I suspect with so many hops being grown we now have a surplus that these guys unfortunately bought too much of.

GormBrewhouse likes this.
  8. jbakajust1

Yeah, I suspect we may see more hop middlemen disappear, and more direct contact with farms, especially with the smaller farms popping up everywhere.

GormBrewhouse and frozyn like this.
  9. frozyn

frozyn Crusader (704) May 16, 2015 New York
    Premium Member

I've been wondering how long it will be until someone starts a version of Etsy for hop farmers.

BoardwalkBock likes this.
  10. Prep8611

Will be very good for homebrewers. It would be nice to get first picks once in a while.

frozyn likes this.
  11. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (136) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina

For anyone who has ordered from them in the past, did you receive email confirmation or any reference to tracking info?

From their website:
    "For best conditions store in the freezer upon arrival. 1/2 lb and 1 lb package come in a resealable mylar pouch. All 1/2 lb and 1 lb packages come in a resealable mylar pouch and when stored in your freezer can last for up to one year with very little change in quality."
    Only mentions "sealed". No mention of being flushed or "vacuum" sealed.

47Hops likes this.
  12. Granitebeard

Granitebeard Initiate (174) Aug 24, 2016 Maine

I have no real contact with the company in any way, but every time they came up in my searches, I always felt that things about them were pessimistic and very negative. Don't get me wrong, I am pessimistic as well, but the blog side of the site spelled gloom and doom for a while now. Was very off putting for me. Never bought hops from them either.

13. Prep8611

I’m a yakima guy. Excellent customer service and they have nice sales from time to time.

47Hops and jbakajust1 like this.
  14. jricharc

jricharc Aspirant (248) Feb 16, 2012 Virginia

Just bought 3 lbs of different varieties. Good looking out, thanks!

15. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse Aspirant (201) Jul 20, 2016 Arizona
    Beer Trader

I'm usually a leaf-only kind of guy, partially because I feel good about the unprocessed nature of them, but mostly because they work better with my system. Pellet hops tend to clog my kettle screen, and I don't like all of the debris they create when dry hopped. I also have enough hops to get me through until next harvest, so I usually pass on hop sales.

With that said, I was not about to pass up Hull Melon, Mandarina Bavaria, and Hallertau Blanc for less than $6/lb, shipped, even if they are 2016 crop. It also helped that I was in the market for some noble-ish hops, so I threw in some Sterling and Tradition. Pekko sounded interesting, so I grabbed a pound of those as well.

SFACRKnight and GormBrewhouse like this.
  16. pweis909

pweis909 Poo-Bah (1,722) Aug 13, 2005 Wisconsin
    Premium Member

On the fence. I already have more hops in my freezer than I will use in a year. But some of those hos are ones I would like to try. I guess I'll get some.

jbakajust1 likes this.
  17. pweis909

Premium Member

It wasn't much of a fence.

18. Prep8611

Not ordering cause I already have several pounds and I want to get rid of my 2016

19. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Beer Trader

:rofl:

20. pweis909

Premium Member

I think I just named my next IPA

47Hops, frozyn, SFACRKnight and 4 others like this.
  21. NorCalKid

NorCalKid Initiate (175) Jan 10, 2018 California

I’ve never delt with these guys also. But $24 for a mix of 2 lbs., worth a gamble. Lost more at a black jack table on a hand before.

22. TooHopTooHandle

I also snagged 9lbs of various hops for $56 shipped! Thanks for the heads up @jbakajust1

jbakajust1 likes this.
  23. pweis909

Premium Member

Same here. What the hell was I thinking? I probably have not used this many hops in 5 years. But when you can get 8 oz at the retail price of 1 oz, what are you supposed to do?

24. OntheLambic

OntheLambic Disciple (322) Jan 9, 2015 Connecticut

Really appreciate the good word @jbakajust1, was able to snag a few pounds of hops I've been itching to try, but never have before, Hallertau Blanc and Huell Melon. Also doesn't hurt to pick up 2 pounds of Azacca for under 10 bills. Thanks again.

SFACRKnight and jbakajust1 like this.
  25. Ten_SeventySix_Brewhouse

Beer Trader

Brew more IPAs? I was just jumping OFF of the NEIPA bandwagon, and now I have something like 13# of hops on my hands!

26. TooHopTooHandle

Exactly my thoughts. Great way to try some new hops in some pale ales at minimal cost lol no brainer

47Hops likes this.
  27. TooHopTooHandle

Also a great way to make some heavily hopped neipas for a reasonable cost!

28. pweis909

Premium Member

Basically this. Tripling my usual whirlpool & dry hop additions.

29. Push_the_limits

Push_the_limits Initiate (129) Feb 8, 2018 Antarctica

47Hops, jbakajust1 and GormBrewhouse like this.
  30. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (186) Dec 25, 2015 New York

These prices are amazing. Wish i had more room but 5/8oz bags will last me a while. I'm surprised there's no cascade since it's so popular.

31. InkastareBrewingCompany

InkastareBrewingCompany Initiate (125) Mar 13, 2018 Wisconsin

Anyone used hull melon before? Got a pound of those....smash ale? NEIPA? Summer wheat? What's the best way to go?

32. Push_the_limits

Push_the_limits Initiate (129) Feb 8, 2018 Antarctica

So I'm gonna call them and try to add in Mandarina Bavaria. just an FYI, if you click on that hop from the drop-down "Varieties" tab, this hop appears as unavailable. However, if you click on the "buy hops" page, it appears available through there.

Also, to people wondering about vacuum sealed, one reviewer on the Mandarina Bavaria page last year said the packages were vacuum sealed.

I overloaded too. Maybe it's time to dry hop with a full pound and give some away to friends.

#32 Push_the_limits, May 11, 2018
    Last edited: May 11, 2018
  33. jbakajust1

Brewing up 11 gallon batches of super hopped IPAs and APAs makes it easy to rip through pounds of hops. Killing a keg of these super hopped beers takes maybe 3 weeks. I doubt I'll have any issues using 5#. Can always dryhop a sour too.

47Hops likes this.
  34. epk

epk Initiate (153) Jun 10, 2008 New Jersey

Is a shame they couldn't make the business work... I grabbed a half of the Mandarina and Hull Melon - both of which I never used. Anybody have any good recipes that showcase them?

Also some Centennial, Azacca, Hallertau Blanc, and Perle. Afer just buying a lb of Citra last week for $30 at the LHBS, couldn't pass up buying 3 friggin' pounds for around $20 after shipping!

Hopefully all packaged properly.

35. BoardwalkBock

BoardwalkBock Zealot (514) Aug 18, 2012 New York
    Beer Trader

I u
    I used it in a Pale Ale once with Centennial and enjoyed it very much. However it is not a very powerful hop (in terms of aroma and flavor) and can easily be over powered by other hops or yeast strains like belgians. I would definitely make another pale ale with just Hull Melon.

36. jeebeel

jeebeel Initiate (180) Jun 17, 2003 Texas

@jbakajust1, thank you sir for letting is get in on this too.

37. Eggman20

Eggman20 Initiate (142) Feb 14, 2017 Minnesota

Thanks for the heads up! Too good of a deal to not stock up the freezer with 7 more pounds of hops. Grabbed some Centennial, Tettnang, Willamette, El Dorado, and Hull Melon. Never used the dorado or melon before so excited to give them a try.

38. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,172) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Beer Trader

CTZ el dorado and perle. Hmmmm, lagers and neipa this summer

39. jmdrpi

jmdrpi Poo-Bah (4,959) Dec 11, 2008 Pennsylvania

Well they filled for bankruptcy back in August and there were some comments about their quality of hops.
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/47hops-filed-for-bankruptcy.533280/

40. Prep8611

Please report back on quality. Sounds like 47hops had some cheesy ass hops.