1. Introducing the Respect BeerĀ® Society. Upgrading your account to a Society membership entitles you to more than a dozen awesome perks, from discounts, to add-free browsing, extended users stats, and much more. Join today.
  2. BEER FEST ALERT: Don't miss FUNK Boston: A Wild & Sour Beer Fest on June 14-15!

5 days in Chicago. Am I missing anything?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by joeneugs, Sep 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. prior2two

prior2two Disciple (378) Oct 18, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I know I've been there on Friday and Saturday nights after 10pm to watch the Blackhawks and Cubs during the regular season. I gotta imagine they'll have football on.

2. KCUnited

KCUnited Initiate (175) Nov 11, 2014 Illinois
    Trader

Yeah, they had the OU and tOSU game on when I was in there at ~6pm last night and I've seen local teams on during the evenings as well. As a fan of an out of market NFL team, I just never look to Links to try and catch that game. They only have like 3 or 4 tvs, so I doubt Sunday Ticket is something that would add much value to them. I could easily be wrong though, especially regarding Minnesota/Green Bay/Detroit NFL games.

3. joeneugs

joeneugs Initiate (107) Aug 28, 2008 California

Still a couple weeks out, but if anybody in Chicago wants to share an Uber to 3 Floyds on Monday October 2 or Wednesday Oct 4, let me know.

4. jorgerod99

jorgerod99 Aspirant (202) Oct 19, 2013 California

I visited Chicago for a couple days last week (stayed in Wicker Park) and went to the following places: Cruz Blanca, Map Room, Corridor, Hopewell, Tapster (pour your own beer, was right across the street from my hotel), and Old Irving Brewery (on the way back to O'Hare airport via Blue Line). Corridor was the best of the bunch, Old Irving was 2nd.

RickBelgique and beerbelly_mike like this.
  5. Webbbeer

Webbbeer Initiate (40) Jun 17, 2016 Illinois

If your going to More you might as well stop at Noon Whistle while you're out that way

6. RickBelgique

RickBelgique Initiate (56) Jul 16, 2014 Illinois

The burgers alone are worth going to Old Irving for. I definitely recommend it.

7. eppCOS

eppCOS Champion (801) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

Easy to start a fight with recommendations here, so I'll just beseech thee - HALF ACRE.
    They do so much good stuff, so much range, compared to Revolution (yep), that to NOT go is really not trying the best the city has to offer. Maybe the only thing I like better at Rev is the Deth's Tar and the Mean Genes... and maybe workingman (3.2%? What?)
    I've been to all the major Chicago breweries and I always come back to HA as my preferred across-the-board brewery. Now, if you're a "haze-bro" then definitely go to Corridor and Forbidden Root.
    Dovetail rocks for German/Czech styles.
    I'm not a Homer either, I'm from Colorado, so this isn't about neighborhood snobbery. Word.
    *end of transmission*

8. scream

scream Crusader (728) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin

Bottle shop-Binny's numerous locations

VABA likes this.
  9. joeneugs

So Chicago lived up to all the hype and then some! I'm actually jealous of you guys since the beer scene is much more mature than where I'm at in the Bay Area, CA. Here are the places I made it to with a brief impression on each:

Mikerphone (Cool place, good haze bro beers, awesome milk stout)
    Lou Malnati's (Tasty enough pizza. Lacking some depth of flavor. Sauce was nice and fresh)
    Pipeworks DOJO (Got an S-load of BA beers. The thimble size tasters were a bummer)
    Binnys South Loop (Stocked up on lagers and Saint Errant IPA bottles)
    Forbidden Root (AMAZING place! Beers were adventurous and tasty. Power trip is right up there with East Coast haze)
    Girl and the Goat (Sat in the lounge and had green beans with goat empanadas. LOVE)
    Haymarket (People really like to get drunk here)
    Corridor (Slightly disappointed in the beers. Cool place though)
    Sheffields (Guy sitting next to me at the Cubs game insisted I go here with him. GOOD ADVICE. Had GI Prop on tap)
    Dovetail (Highlight of the trip. Got a tour of the place including barrel room and coolship. AMAZING lagers!)
    Half Acre Balmoral (Bad service. Ok beers. Not really worth the trip)
    Hopleaf (One of the best beer bars I've ever been to. Another highlight)
    Bangers and Lace (good beer selection. Kind of a snooze fest. Must of hit them at the wrong time)
    Big Star (Good taco's, but I prefer the Cali roach coaches)
    Links Taproom (Great bartender. Awesome neighborhood. Fun place)
    Revolution (Disappointed in the BA beers. Others were good. Cool old school place)
    Beer Temple (Awesome bartender. Met Good Beer Hunting dude here)
    Three Floyds (A bit disappointed. Would've been over the moon nine years ago)
    Jake Melnicks (late night drunk stop)
    Burger Antics (One of the best beer lists on the trip. I chickened out and got the lunch size burger)
    Imperial Oak (they had no water, but still let me in and served me in plastic cups. lol. Much appreciated)
    More (Bomb hazy double IPA. Wish they had more beers)
    Noon Whistle (Friendly people, good beers, nicely set up place)
    Pequod Pizza (Preferred this over Malnati's)
    Local Option (Not really my scene, but I appreciate what they have going on)

Can't wait to come back!

10. GuyFawkes

GuyFawkes Poo-Bah (2,132) Apr 7, 2011 Illinois
    Trader

Wow, you killed it!

beerbelly_mike likes this.
  11. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Aspirant (296) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

How are you still alive?!

beerbelly_mike and GuyFawkes like this.
  12. joeneugs

It was an awesome 5 day "work" trip. Just don't show my boss this list.

13. Zoomslowik

Zoomslowik Aspirant (296) Mar 17, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

I'm just impressed. I've had similarly ambitious plans for a weekend beercation, but I usually need a nap after 2 stops in the afternoon and then never really get back to it after an early dinner. Maybe I'm just getting old.

GuyFawkes likes this.
  14. eppCOS

eppCOS Champion (801) Jun 27, 2015 Colorado
    Society

*stands, gives a single CLAP at this performance* - sorry the new HA Balmoral let you down. They're still sorting stuff out there, been only a month since they opened... Corridor didn't have many hazy beers recently. But outstanding work @joeneugs !!!

beerbelly_mike and GuyFawkes like this.
  15. GrumpyGas

GrumpyGas Meyvn (1,381) Apr 7, 2009 Illinois

It's good to hear you enjoyed your stay. Next time you visit maybe you could invite me. I have yet to get to many of those places.:beers:

beerbelly_mike likes this.
  16. beerbelly_mike

beerbelly_mike Initiate (103) May 19, 2016 Illinois
    Trader

Kudos to you and your killer ambition. I hope to have the same ambition in my 3 day stay in Pittsburgh. I have no work to do so hopefully my list can look like yours haha.

17. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (138) May 5, 2013 Illinois

Jesus. I live here, and it would take me like 5-6 months to do all of that.

18. JJH1018

JJH1018 Devotee (400) Sep 13, 2013 Illinois
    Society

I have no excuse living in the SW burbs. Nicely done!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.