5 stage RO system

Discussion in 'Homebrewing' started by CADETS3, Jul 3, 2018.

1. CADETS3

CADETS3 Initiate (164) Dec 3, 2014 Texas

Well i finally took the leap and decided to purchase a 5 stage 75 GPD RO system for my brews. I have done some cost analysis and as much as i brew, it will have paid for itself fairly quickly. I went ahead and purchased the booster pump kit as well as my water supply will be feeding my brewery during clean-up and for other things.

Any recommendations/tips & tricks for a noob? Looking for those little details that get left out from the manufacturer. I am really looking forward to dialing in mash pH as i know this has been a contributing factor in low mash efficiencies in the past. I plan on purchasing this pH meter. Any reviews from my fellow BA's regarding this meter?

Thank you all in advance!

2. VikeMan

VikeMan Meyvn (1,447) Jul 12, 2009 Pennsylvania

For pH meters, it's hard to go wrong with Milwaukee. If my current one ever dies, I'll be getting another just like it.

3. CADETS3

which one do you have?

4. VikeMan

MW101

5. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (706) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Funny thing is...now that you have a high capacity RO system, you really won't need the pH meter as much as before, imho.
    Also...Starsan mixing/storage is soooooo much better with RO.

riptorn likes this.
  6. TheBeerery

TheBeerery Initiate (79) May 2, 2016 Minnesota

Why not? Malt acidity changes with each lot. I have seen malt vary from 5.7-5.95 in sacks from different lots, that would put your pH nearly .3 off from target. Thats a big deal.

Having owned nearly every entry grade pH meter, MW101 used to be my favorite.... Until I got my Extech, now I will never own another brand again. Plus they make a fantastic entry grade DO meter as well.

7. riptorn

riptorn Initiate (64) Apr 26, 2018 North Carolina
    Trader

Which model Extech pH meter are you referring to, and which model DO meter?

8. VikeMan

I can confirm lot to lot differences in malt pH. And it's not just base malts. C-Malts, in particular, can vary pretty widely, according to some fairly numerous measurements I did a while back.

9. wasatchback

wasatchback Aspirant (259) Jan 12, 2014 Utah

MW102 for me

Resist the urge to put the probe in hot wort. Always always always cool it down. You can ruin a probe rather quickly. I speak from experience...

Calibrate it every time, just to be sure.

VikeMan likes this.
  10. TheBeerery

11. VikeMan

12. TheBeerery

No it comes with all the stuff needed to refill as well. It has saved me from buying new electrodes.

13. CADETS3

14. GreenKrusty101

GreenKrusty101 Crusader (706) Dec 4, 2008 Nevada

Not really, unless it happens a lot...like buying pH meters more often than underwear :slight_smile:

15. hoptualBrew

hoptualBrew Zealot (586) May 29, 2011 Florida

Are you planning on having a plastic storage tank and float valve?

I’m saving up for a 1/2 bbl setup and plan on an RO system feeding a 45 gallon plastic holding tank w/ float valve and butterfly valve at bottom of tank.

On-demand RO water is the plan, pump over to HLT on brew day. Drain and clean/sanitize every few brews.

16. Brewday

Brewday Initiate (105) Dec 25, 2015 New York

Glad you mentioned this because i was going to ask why my ph was low from using Gleneagles maris otter i got from a different hbs i visited for the first time. My meter showed 5.0 and it was suppose to be 5.4. Everything was off in that batch.

17. CADETS3

Yes sir! Looking getting a 65 gallon tank. The next bigger size is 100 and I don’t think I need that.

hoptualBrew likes this.
  18. ingchr1

ingchr1 Initiate (143) Jun 4, 2008 New York

19. brchapman

brchapman Initiate (61) Nov 18, 2014 Georgia

20. CADETS3

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Got the RO system hooked up and testing the tank for leaks. Tank will be rotated 90 degrees after checking for leaks after I have drained the waste water out the drive way! Coming along rather nice.

InVinoVeritas likes this.