8 Days in Belgium - Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Belgium' started by nickdank, Sep 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nickdank

nickdank Initiate (0) Feb 13, 2014 New Jersey

Leaving in about 2 weeks for Belgium. We've pretty well got our trip itinerized (not a real word) with all of the sights and such - Brussels as a home base with a day trip to Bruges, one to Paris (not Belgium, I know, but the wife really wants to go), maybe one to Ghent, maybe one to Liege, maybe one to Antwerp - not sure which we'll definitely do. We know we're going to visit Cantillon, Espace Chimay, Moeder Lambic in Brussels, maybe Rose Red in Bruges, various museums, etc etc. I hear great things about nuetnigenough.

My question: any MUST do things I should know about? I'd also really love recommendations for meals - any meal, breakfast lunch or dinner. Bars too! (How come everyone on here hates Café Delirium?)

2. ventura78

ventura78 Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

I don't hate Delirium. Go early and have a good time. You will love the selection. In paris I would eat lunch at chez Denise. Tel: 33 1 42 36 21 82 They open at 12, call for a reservation. After that you can check out this place

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/4482/?view=ratings

The red rose in Brugge is a good place for a beer. For dinner I would recommend Vino Vino if you want casual or the park restaurant for more formal. The park is closed on Monday and Thursday. Vino Vino is open every day except sunday and Monday.

http://www.parkrestaurant.be/index.htm

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...-Vino_Vino-Bruges_West_Flanders_Province.html

If you want to visit an off the wall place in Gent, check out this "bar"

http://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/7457/?view=ratings

Have a good trip, I'll be there a few weeks after you

3. nickdank

't velootje sounds literally insane. potentially in a good way...though not likely my wife would agree.

thanks so much for the detailed suggestions!

4. nickdank

also - recommendations for places to get moules frites?

5. MarcBE

MarcBE Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2014 Belgium

Nick, moules-frittes you find in a lot of restaurants, just look arround and you'll find it easy.
    A lot of information about beer in Flanders you find here

http://www.vlaanderenlekkerland.be/fb111bqvf1061ziab1ziab243.aspx

Have a nice trip!

nickdank likes this.
  6. SStein

SStein Devotee (462) Dec 26, 2012 Colorado

Delirium is usually hated on for being overly crowded and full of tourists. I personally don't mind it, and during the early afternoon, it is not a bad lace to go and enjoy a beer or two. However, if I am in that area during the hours I don't mind going to Delirium, i would much rather be Moeder Lambic or Cantillon.

azorie likes this.
  7. Anatole

Anatole Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2013 Belgium

Forget Liege, there's nothing to see there.
    If you have to choose, go Antwerp.

azorie likes this.
  8. nickdank

Well...if there isn't anything to see in either Liege OR Antwerp, I'd just as much rather not go to either haha. But thanks for the tip!

9. F2brewers

F2brewers Champion (820) Mar 12, 2005 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society Trader

It's worth the trip to Antwerp for a visit to Kulminator all by itself.

azorie and shnsajax like this.
  10. ventura78

ventura78 Initiate (0) Nov 22, 2003 Massachusetts

I second Kulminator, Their hours are Mon 8-12, Tues - Sat 4-12, closed on Sunday.

azorie likes this.
  11. Anatole

Anatole Initiate (0) Sep 19, 2013 Belgium

And Antwerp is a nice city to have a walk.
    (this can't be said for Liege)

azorie likes this.
  12. Kozel

Kozel Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2014 Scotland

Is this the best time to visit? I'm over in a few weeks and did fancy going, but had kinda been put off by some negative reviews.

13. ManforallSaisons

ManforallSaisons Devotee (423) Mar 20, 2008 Belgium

Weekdays before 5pm, for Delirium, to avoid being overrun by students, who aren't (universally) badly behaved but soak up most of the pace and bar throughput capacity.

Re les moules, it's not as easy as late summer, when there's a certain counterintuitive suggestion to eat them in places that don't have them most of the year. But anyway, they're often available in a few of the classics downtown, like Aux Armes de Bruxelles and La Roue d'Or. Pré Salé or La Villette in St. Catherine when they have them.

14. nickdank

So you're saying they're not in season? I'd rather not eat them if that's the case..

Thanks for the tip!

15. KevDesmet

KevDesmet Initiate (0) Aug 1, 2014 Belgium

You can eat moulles almost all year trough nowadays but the better quality is mostly in season. Not that they aren't good now. One big tip: avoid all places surrounding the Delirium to have seafood, moulles and other shellfood. Actually, just avoid eating there at all if you don't want your night to end bend over the toilet or returning home with a new friend named Salmonella. Apart from 2 places, Aux Armes de Bruxelles(not cheap and varying quality) and Chez Leon all these restos are tourist death traps and very low quality. There's a reason Belgians never eat there.....

16. Stevenwings

Stevenwings Initiate (81) Jan 15, 2014 Belgium

Every month with a R in it are the best months for eating mussels .... so get your ass over here and eat as much as you can .. places with signs of dutch mussels are the places to be..... :rolling_eyes:

17. nickdank

October has an R!

18. KevDesmet

That saying about the months with an r is not true. The local Zeeuwse mosselen are available from July to April so basicslly there's only 2 months you can't eat them, May and June. If you find some then it's most likely imported

19. Stevenwings

You can eat them every month but in june there were not mussels yet and in july still small ones... thats why every local soccerteam has his musselevent in.september... :-) and now back to beers

KevDesmet likes this.
  20. KevDesmet

I thought this topic was about mussels.....:wink:

21. nickdank

Yes, beer indeed. Your favorite pairing with moules frites? (just barely back on topic)

also - breweries I HAVE to visit? (besides Cantillon, since I'm staying in Brussels I'd be stupid not to go there)

22. nickdank

keep in mind i'm only going to be doing public transit - trains, etc.

23. KevDesmet

De La Senne is worth a short visit and some tastings. It's a bit outside of the centre but there's a tramway that stops in front of the brewery

24. Riggsy

Riggsy Disciple (321) Jul 15, 2005 Pennsylvania

Back on to the mussels topic... we had a very enjoyable meal at Au Vieux Bruxelles. Seemed to be mostly locals, outside of the city center.

25. jae

jae Initiate (0) Feb 21, 2010 Washington

Make sure to hit up Restrobieres!

26. nickdank

thoughts on Leuven?

27. KevDesmet

Leuven, well expect some major AbInbev domination :wink: but these are a few that are ok:
    • The Capital, still trying to break the Delirium's record for having the most beers but still not getting close
    • Domus, Brewpub
    • Café Belge on the market 'De Oude Markt'
    • M-Café, bar next to a museum
    • L-Café on 'De Oude Markt' , nice selection of beers + good food like Stoemp, stews and stuff
    • De Kroon, about 5(?)km out of the centre but still worht a short visit
    There was a good bar in the centre with a big list of Belgian beers and a more authentic atmosphere than The Capital(same owner) but it burned down a while ago, De Fiere Margriet

28. nickdank

I've read reviews of this place, mainly saying it's expensive for the quality and portion. Then again, I've read other websites that say it's one of the better places for moules frites in Brussels.

*shrug*

29. nickdank

30. Stevenwings

Check out the website because i think they are working in some parts of the brewery right now ... there is another one that brews fort lapin in Bruges

31. F2brewers

F2brewers Champion (820) Mar 12, 2005 Massachusetts
    Fest Crew Society Trader

Unless there is construction as @Stevenwings mentioned above, I highly recommend De Halve Maan. It's a great tour of a historic brewery in Brugges (you can see the modern and old brewery (including a walk across the old coolship, a room with extensive old glassware collection and another with some great older brewery equipment) and you can stop and have a nice lunch/sample their beer afterwards.

-N8 likes this.
  32. Stevenwings

Its because they are building a pipeline to there bottle service outside of Bruges for using the pipeline for "shipping" beer instead of using trucks... so its in the heart of the brewery they are working....

wathever you do don't spend money on the beermuseum at the big market ... use it to have a drink at Cambrinus or De Garre or.... or....or...or.... :stuck_out_tongue:

33. Stevenwings

ow and if you need transport just let me know :wink:

F2brewers likes this.
  34. LakesideBrewing

LakesideBrewing Initiate (88) Dec 1, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

I highly recommend this!!

35. nickdank

Circling back: landed in Brussels and had a great day thus far. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. Now, off to dinner.

Kozel and KevDesmet like this.
  36. slaneja

slaneja Initiate (0) Mar 26, 2010 Indiana

Please let me (us) know about what you think of the places in Leuven. I'll be there for 3 weeks at the end of the month. I've been to The Capital before, but none of the other places.

37. Kozel

Kozel Initiate (0) Jun 18, 2014 Scotland

Keep us (me) updated please, arrive there next Sunday.

38. nickdank

Didn't end up going to Leuven. Nor Chimay. Westvleteren is awesome though.

39. omgrich

omgrich Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2013 Belgium

Hey man, I'm probably going to be going to a few places in lambic country this weekend if you want to tag along!

KevDesmet likes this.
  40. omgrich

omgrich Initiate (0) Dec 24, 2013 Belgium

Same goes out to you!

KevDesmet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.