8 Wired Bumaye

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by TheBadger0289, May 13, 2013.

1. TheBadger0289

TheBadger0289 Sep 2, 2008 New Zealand (Aotearoa)

http://8wired.co.nz/our-brews/bumaye

Very much looking forward to getting my mitts on this (hopefully) tonight! Thought the Batch 31 was probably the best NZ beer I've ever had, so anything barrel aged by 8 Wired gets my attention quick fast.

flexabull and spicelab like this.
  2. spicelab

spicelab Nov 6, 2009 Australia
    Beer Trader

Tried this at Beervana last year. Was pretty impressive.

TheBadger0289 likes this.
  3. TheBadger0289

Brilliant. I missed Beervana last year, but won't make the same mistake again this time round. I'm interested to find out the difference between bourbon barrels and pinot noir barrels. Guessing Pinot would be a touch more rounded without the sharp alcohol notes of the bourbon barrel?

4. mulder1010

mulder1010 Aug 29, 2008 Australia

Wine barrels keep a lot of the tannins. Where with bourbon barrels get a lot of vanilla, coconut and caramel notes.
    I think wine barrel notes are much more subdued than bourbon , that is me

5. danieelol

danieelol Jun 15, 2010 Australia

are that and the Grand Cru being brought into Australia?

6. hopswiller

hopswiller Jul 17, 2011 Australia

Been waiting on this beer for ages. I believe the Grand Cru is already on the east coast

7. CarlisleWineBin

CarlisleWineBin Jul 8, 2008 Australia

I have been told that the beer is getting through (or is through) customs, put my orders in already - better do it for the Bumaye too!

8. TheBadger0289

Yep I heard Aus and NZ distribution started yesterday...not that it was in any of my locals quite yet. But shouldn't be long. A friend that tried it at a tasting a couple of months back said that it was great but very 'pinot-y' and he thought it would just get better with a few years on it.

9. spicelab

spicelab Nov 6, 2009 Australia
    Beer Trader

As mulder said, wine barrels, pinot included, don't tend to overwhelm the base beer like some bourbon and whisky barrels do. And in the case of a huge beer like Bumaye (as opposed to, say, Hallertau Porter Noir at 6.6%) I'd assume it would be even less likely to dominate.

I don't remember thinking the pinot notes were intense, but it was 9 months ago and only a 3 oz pour..

10. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Beer Trader

Hashigo Zake got it in today

TheBadger0289 likes this.
  11. TheBadger0289

Great. I'll keep my eyes peeled in Christchurch.

12. CarlisleWineBin

CarlisleWineBin Jul 8, 2008 Australia

Got some rocking up in a week or so.

13. TheBadger0289

Got my hands on 3 bottles today. Interesting to see that he's opted for 330s... Then again, at 16%... Will try one in the next few days and report back.

MrKennedy and spicelab like this.
  14. MrKennedy

MrKennedy Dec 29, 2006 Australia
    Beer Trader

Started showing up in Sydney today

15. hopswiller

hopswiller Jul 17, 2011 Australia

Woohoo!!!

16. TheBadger0289

Well...I tried some at work last night. It's big and it's boozy! Very strong burnt sugar/molasses . A beer to share, even in a 330ml bottle. Some very strong Pinot notes there, more so than I've tasted in any other beer. To me it's just not as complete of a beer as the Batch 31, it's more experimental. I enjoyed it a lot, but I think I'll enjoy it even more in a couple of years.

brendanos likes this.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe