Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Dismiss Notice
Curious about recent updates to the site and app? Check the Announcements forum for updates.
Dismiss Notice
Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings.

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

A bottle cap thread

Discussion in 'Breweriana' started by Stevedore, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Stevedore

Beer Trader

Was looking forlornly at the bent, expended Bourbon County bottle caps from my recent gathering at my apartment and it made me want to know what goes through the mind of BAs when it comes to bottle caps. Allow me:

1- What's your favorite bottle cap design- and why?

2- What's the ugliest bottle cap design- and why?

3- And of course, if you collect bottlecaps, what are you planning to do with them? I've seen mentions of making a bottle cap table or bar counter, but any other interesting ideas? I suppose this question is for the inner BA artist. Post the pictures if you have 'em!

2. RblWthACoz

Since I have so many, here is a list of a few of my favorites:

Brouwerij West - artisic
    Westy 6 (yep...the 6) - rarity
    Tusker All-Malt Lager (not the regular Tusker) - nice crisp design
    The Ayinger one of the picnic scene; can't remember the beer - colorful and artistic
    Full Pint - rich design with depth

Most of the foreign not typically seen beers are ones I appreciate too: Harnas, Bedele (with the monkey on it) and on and on.

Worst? There are loads of boring ones out there. I wish that Belgian breweries would put as much into their caps as they do their beer and labels. Most are just single colors.

I have a top secret project I am working on with mine. I'm sure it will revolutionize the energy industry; or just look cool.

3. AlaskanYoung

Cork beer only, rookie.

4. victory4me

Ayinger Oktoberfest, no doubt about it.

Three Floyds are the ugliest.

scifan likes this.
  5. scifan

Beer Trader

Three Floyds has the coolest caps IMO.

jaIsPoAn likes this.
  6. DonDonLongJohn

I really like Cigar City's caps. Simple but very nice.

7. BobSmooth

Three Floyds art makes me want to seize. Good or bad IDK yet.

8. RblWthACoz

That's the picnic scene one I am thinking about, right?

9. victory4me

10. Stevedore

Beer Trader

This one, right?

[​IMG]

RblWthACoz likes this.
  11. Michigan

12. Stevedore

Beer Trader

My contribution-
    1- personal favorite is the New Glarus thumbprints so far. Hopslam is a close second. A third would be DFH's high ABV ones that show up on the 120 minute.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    2- not counting the boring monocolor ones like Central Waters' gold bottle caps, Three Floyds is over the top, almost weird with the three hands and the psychedelic striped colors but then again it does make sense when you consider the brewery.
    [​IMG]
    3- Thought about making fridge magnets out of the most interesting ones I come across but that's small potatoes

13. dap325

My uncle recently talked about doing his bar top with bottle caps intertwined creating a gear cog type of layout where you would turn a lever and all of the bottle caps would rotate. Sounds like a bad ass idea, but I have no idea if this would actually work. They would have to be perfectly straight and therefore you would probably not be able to use even gently pried off caps. I see no reason why a properly aligned and lubed set up wouldn't work, but I'd be willing to see one that actually does work. I couldn't find any examples of this in my internet searches.

14. RblWthACoz

Yep yep. Thanks. Apologies for being too lazy to look it up during my first post.

15. RBCORCORAN

Beer Trader

Don't remember what they were from except they were a Christmas gift pack.
    [​IMG]

16. marcgo2

Beer Trader

The beer was mediocre but I liked the cap for Leinenkugel's snowdrift vanilla porter

17. Mothergoose03

Subscriber

I'm currently making magnets out of about 3,500 caps that I've collected with the intent to attach them to the sheet metal heat duct in the ceiling of my man cave to help disguise it. So far I'm experimenting with the best way to make the magnets and the most effective cost. [A molybenium (sp?) button magnet per 3,500 caps is too costly so I'm searching for strong magnetic sheets that I can cut to the size of a cap.] At this point I have only about 200 test examples with moderate success of magnet strength to hold the weight of the cap and spacer.

I don't have a favorite cap, but I'll say that any cap that does not have a graphic/lettering of some sort is my least favorite. However, I can see an artist liking the plain ones for solid color background use if creating a mosaic of some sort.

18. dap325

Sounds like more magnets that its worth.. how about attaching them all to a thin piece of wood or something and than hanging that from the ducting? That way if you wanted to move them, you didn't have to pluck 3500 caps off individually.

Mothergoose03 likes this.
  19. 4kbrianb

what are you guys doing with bent caps in order to flatten them back out? I was thinking about using a hammer and wrapping a dowel in a cloth to knock it back out from the inside. I know a lot of you guys open them with special openers in order to save yourselves from this issue... any thoughts?

20. Mothergoose03

Subscriber

Most of mine are undented (or minimally so) because I put a quarter on top of the cap when opening the bottle. No special opener is needed, just a quarter, although I think the D-style loop opener works best rather than the church key style.

21. 4kbrianb

awesome, thanks for the tip, I never thought of that! Any idea on how to un-dent my dented caps?

22. WassailWilly

Bic lighters and the fulcrum method pop them bad boys with no denting..
    Sometimes there is a cap that just wont pop tho and have to use the the opener , try putting a quarter on top to pry against

23. DinoFight

Make mine into fridge magnets. They go on my beer fridge in the garage.

Best and cheapest way that I remove them is to wrap up a quarter in a small piece of paper towel(keeps from scratching cap). Place wrapped quarter on top of cap and slowly work bottle opener around cap prying just a little as you go around.

jegross2 likes this.
  24. UCLABrewN84

I believe those are from Ridgeway beers.

RBCORCORAN likes this.
  25. RBCORCORAN

Beer Trader

Yes your right THANKS . was from 2 yrs ago and couldn't remember the name. I don't save caps as a rule but liked these.

26. sharpski

Beer Trader

Made this tabletop a few years ago, have plans to do more around the house.

[​IMG]

27. SirBottlecap

I rolled up two separate shoet stacks of quarters, taped them up, put the flat ends on either side of the cap and press them together in a vice. Sometimes, another size of coin is needed on the end of the stack depending on the seal. It works pretty well and the tape prevents scratching.

4kbrianb likes this.
  28. SirBottlecap

I started collecting about 25 years ago and thought if I made 2' by 4' sheet of plywood with a nail every inch-and-a-half to glue caps onto, that that would be plenty of room (465 'cap'acity). 11 boards later, I have over 4000 different beer caps on display, only now I use screws and self-adhesive Velcro, which makes it easy moving caps around. Hopefully, I'll have a picture posted soon. By the way, a Bic lighter is definitely the way to go, or a capped soda or water bottle works well, too. The best one ever HAS to be the Ayinger pictured above or the slightly older version. Bigfoot caps are the best series caps, in my opinion. Speaking of that, if anyone out there has a 1987 Bigfoot cap they can part with, I'm interested...

jermsumm likes this.
  29. SirBottlecap

I think we must have completely different Belgian beer distributors. It seems like every one I have (out of 250ish) is at least 3 colors and has some awesome graphic on it! By the way, are you looking for any caps in particular for your CIA project?

30. RblWthACoz

In fairness, I should say that I have tried a huge amount of really obscure stuff; mostly when I was in Brooklyn. I do have some of the more mainstream breweries caps, like Gulden Draak, Petrus, etc. What are your favorite caps from a Belgian brewery?

I am set for now on caps thanks. I think I have about 2,000+ at the moment.

31. SirBottlecap

Bellvue's kriek, lambic, etc. with pics of fruit, the new Piraat (with pirate ship), St. Bernardus, St. Sixtus and a bunch more I would mention if they were in front of me. One of these days, I'll get a picture posted...

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe