Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

A change in Heady Topper?

Discussion in 'New England' started by HopsintheSack, Aug 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Apr 17, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

I've always noticed floaters and debris in Heady. I always dreamed it was chunks of hop oil or similar. Recently I've noticed it's been free of such debris. Still a tasty beer and what not, just curious if anyone else noticed this.

[​IMG]

2. sahd-1

sahd-1 Jul 2, 2013 Illinois
    Beer Trader

I wouldn't know as I've never, ever had one to compare. Can you tell I'm a Little jealous?

3. Psychmusic

Psychmusic Jun 22, 2012 Connecticut
    Beer Trader

is it possible that before you were getting older headys? i know that over time the hop resins tend to settle out more, meaning the liquid is overall clearer but with more chunks. fresher heady is uniformly hazy in my experience. john kimmich put out a video with a comparison at some point that you could check out for more info.

chippo33, 2Xmd and Horbar like this.
  4. Sean802

Sean802 Jul 14, 2013 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Drink from the can! /obligatorytagline

5. HopsintheSack

HopsintheSack Apr 17, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

That could be. I can only really say for certainty the new batch I have is right from the brewery.

Cheers!

6. Horbar

Horbar Feb 24, 2012 Rhode Island

Usually, there are not floaties for a few weeks.

7. Jason

Jason Founder Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber

Watch and learn ...

claaark13, Soxfan45, sarro and 7 others like this.
  8. Horbar

Drinking one now. Haven't had any in a couple of months. Always tastes like hop heaven. NO DIPA can compare!!

Well, maybe some HF stuff. Lol

OtisCampbell and lovindahops like this.
  9. Smokee

Smokee Jul 23, 2009 Massachusetts
    Beer Trader

Great video. I love how he has zero compunctions going against the grain of popular IPA wisdom

10. Jason

Jason Founder Aug 23, 1996 Massachusetts
    Staff Moderator Site Editor Fest Crew Subscriber

"Compare" meaning "suffice" right?

Horbar likes this.
  11. willbm3

willbm3 Feb 19, 2010 Massachusetts

Fresh heady is always chunk free and beautifully hazy. The chunks develop over time

12. Nickfellow007

Nickfellow007 Feb 22, 2011 Rhode Island
    Beer Trader

Why the fuck are you pouring Heady Topper?

13. Horbar

Yes, much better word to use. Thanks.

Heady is my hop quencher like no other. Lol

14. TheMonkfish

TheMonkfish Jan 8, 2012 Chad

He's said for a while that he's always trying to improve it. It's also possible that he's changed process resulting in a clearer beer.

Or you could have a HT with a bit of age on it. Either way, enjoy!

15. Seany

Seany Sep 27, 2005 Quebec (Canada)
    Beer Trader

John has said that with the expansions heady has a little more time to settle and clear up a bit in the tanks. But I can say that even after the most recent expansion with some time there will be chunks!!!

16. doopiedoopiedoo

doopiedoopiedoo Oct 2, 2010 Netherlands

The man drinks an 8 month old DIPA and lives to tell???
    The special effects in this video are out of this world.

17. dasenebler

dasenebler Jan 26, 2008 Maine

You probably didn't get a can from the bottom of the tank. They are much better. The hops get stuck in your teeth and burn your throat. Hoppy, hoppy Nano beer.

18. Crafty99

Crafty99 Mar 3, 2013 Massachusetts

I have had fresh Heady that was only days old and it still had floaties. And it does taste better from the can.

19. yuppiescum

yuppiescum Jun 4, 2009 Massachusetts

There's floaties in it to prove that nothing is good enough to enjoy.

20. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

I was at the brewery a few months ago when they were canning and it was not going super smoothly (new equipment configuration, I think). Cans were getting smashed or knocked off the line occasionally. An employee grabbed one and on its way to the drain, some of it splashed into my glass, so I've technically tasted Heady before it was canned. It was still chunky and it still tasted wonderful.

MattXT, franklinn and jomobono like this.
  21. celfan

celfan Jul 4, 2004 Vermont
    Beer Trader

Mine never has chunks in it. Probably because Heady doesn't last more than a couple days in my house.

Note to West Coasters - stop giving Heady a 2 rating for appearance. Your shit is old and warmed up.

ipabeerguy, leftyhyzer and franklinn like this.
  22. paulys55

paulys55 Aug 2, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Beer Trader

I can confirm other sightings of floaties in fresh Heady. I have had 7 day old Heady that looked like a snow globe...a deliciously wonderful snowglobe. But then again, to some on here, 7 days is drain pour time:rolleyes:

23. bleakies

bleakies Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Even with chunks I think Heady's a beautiful hazy brew in the glass.

I just finished off a case (not at one sitting) a few days ago and probably won't have more until next summer, alas.

JrGtr likes this.
  24. gpcollen1

gpcollen1 Jul 16, 2005 Connecticut

John indicates that fresh canned Heady is actually '4 weeks old' and he prefers is at about 10 weeks...which is 6 weeks in the can

25. Phishsax

Phishsax Aug 30, 2013 New Hampshire

I just picked up two cases last week. No floaties yet.

I got a batch in November before the expansion and it had lots of floaties

26. Crafty99

Crafty99 Mar 3, 2013 Massachusetts

Sometimes the floaties are settled on the bottom, try shaking to can real good before opening. ;)

dasenebler likes this.
  27. dasenebler

Just picked some up at the brewery today, Labor Day 2013. Drinking real nice, a bit sweeter than I remember, but still hoppy as hell. Perception of sweetness probably has more to do with me and the lighter, drier beers I've been drinking lately, than the actual elixir in the can. As far as appearance goes, I must say that while very hazy, this HT is not nearly as chummy as the stuff I've had in the past. In fact, it's virtually chum-free. They've probably honed their finings procedures and/or cellaring and packaging processes. Still the same old delicious Heady in the can though.

28. Longstaff

Longstaff May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Give it a couple weeks - beer will start to clear and chum will accumulate.

29. dasenebler

I was referring more to the absence of visible hop particulate rather than the protein-tannin complex or flocc'd yeast. Pretty much every can of Heady I've had in the past--and they've been just as fresh and hazy--has had visible hop matter (actual vegetal material, not protein break). I was just happy that there weren't floaties this time around. Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe