A Global Salute to Saisons

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mrmattosgood, Jul 21, 2020.

1. mrmattosgood

mrmattosgood Initiate (170) Nov 6, 2010 British Indian Ocean Territory
    Trader

Over on the New England board, I've spearheaded the #SaisonSaturday movement. We had one thread locked a couple weeks back, but we began a new one this week that will (hopefully) continue in perpetuity.

The goals: (1) Every Saturday, enjoy one (or more!) saison/farmhouse/etc. and tell us about it; (2) Share your favorites that people may -- or may not -- know about; (3) Offer suggestions. We all know the places in our backyard. We all know the places lauded for such beers. Let's hear about ones we may not know of!

We've had some serious reviews, we've had some banter, but basically it's all about saluting a style we love. I'd love to see this grow. More importantly, it's about having fun with a great beer, virtually amongst virtual friends.

Who is down to join the revolution?

You've got a few days to stock up!

2. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Devotee (481) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Trader

3. mrmattosgood

Trader

And we'd love to have you on board!

4. Stormfield

Stormfield Initiate (164) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Let’s do it. Todd has spoken. The party is no longer private.

AlcahueteJ, eppCOS, Sheppard and 2 others like this.
  5. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (2,805) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

Great! More than any other beer, Saison Dupont is responsible for opening my eyes to what good beer can be. And years later it’s still arguably my favorite style. I’m not so great with scheduling what I drink on a given day (tending to grab what I’m in the mood for), but I’ll try to participate as often as possible. I fully support the spirit of this endeavor. Cheers!

6. mrmattosgood

Trader

Saison Dupont is one of those beers that you can sit and enjoy without a second thought, and also one that, if you really pay attention to the nuances of it, you truly experience what a well-crafted beer can be.

7. Shanex

Shanex Poo-Bah (1,605) Dec 10, 2015 France
    Moderator Society Trader

Saison Dupont is great. Tank 7 is great too, oddly and for a while we could find the latter more easily. That was two or three years ago IIRC.

We had a few other Boulevards offering but Tank 7 was still my go-to. I believe I was “that guy” emptying the shelves for it at our supermarket...

CaptainHate, woemad, eppCOS and 8 others like this.
  8. Mikemcgrath4

Mikemcgrath4 Defender (612) Aug 16, 2014 North Carolina
    Trader

Saison Dupont is always amazing, as well as Tank 7. Enjoyed my first Boulevard Brett saison this year which was delightful. And if you can find Fantome saison, snatch it up because that stuff is amazing.

9. unlikelyspiderperson

unlikelyspiderperson Meyvn (1,424) Mar 12, 2013 California
    Society Trader

Might have to finally clean out the La Vermontoise shelf at my beer store

10. SierraNevallagash

SierraNevallagash Champion (818) Sep 23, 2018 Maine
    Trader

I was pleasantly surprised by that one. The hop presence isn't overbearing, and it retains an incredibly authentic, rustic, Old World vibe. I much preferred it to the Dry-Hopped Saison DuPont (which is also great). Stuff sold out fast here though. If anyone has shelf access to it, I highly recommend picking up a bottle or two to try!

11. SierraNevallagash

Trader

My Side Project collection is officially 25 bottles deep. This may just be my excuse to get cracking on those. I like this - I'm in!

Sheppard and mrmattosgood like this.
  12. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I've been drinking about 1 a month since I came across it in march (?) And its been a treat. Definitely gives off.the vibe of an old world farmhouse

13. Stormfield

I couldn’t enjoy that one. As much as I wanted to enjoy it, I can’t stand even the slightest bit of light-struck character. The bottle I had stunk up the whole house as if a skunk had sprayed all over the kitchen.

I was one of those people a few years ago who was thrilled to see Saison DuPont in brown bottles.

14. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

Oof ya that would be unpleasant. My source stores it in a large cooler and its on the top shelf, somewhat out of the light. I'll be interested to see if it develops over time (since it looks like I'll be drinking all of these).

Speaking of which, does anyone know when that came out? @SierraNevallagash ?

I should add that I really like the heavy yeast character in that beer. Saisons are about the only style that I enjoy the straightforward yeastiness

15. eagles22

eagles22 Disciple (365) Sep 7, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Saturday I went to hidden river and they had a raspberry saison and it was down right delicious! Also my favorite of all time is fantome saison!

16. mrmattosgood

Trader

I just went to the store to pick my wife up some Loverboy Hard Tea ... don't judge ... and found some Allagash Saison on the shelf. Had to get it.

Haven't seen any Fantome on any shelf in a while.

And @SierraNevallagash ...let me know if you need help with those Side Project beers. I was in St. Louis for like 54 hours a couple years back and went twice. Fell in love with their stuff.

17. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (4,609) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

So, you are that guy! :grimacing:

Cheers!

Shanex likes this.
  18. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Disciple (339) Nov 23, 2008 New York

Love the idea @mrmattosgood I just got a couple 'farmhouse' ales in a shipment from B. United, so I'm good to go for at least a couple Saturdays.
    This thread should be right up the alley of a certain saison-loving BA... @zid :wink:

19. mrmattosgood

Trader

Nice! What do you have coming?

I've gotta be honest: This whole #SaisonSaturday thing that I began about a month ago makes me wanna get into the trading game again. Kind of. Probably not enough though.

20. Stormfield

I’d trade for Sante Adarius (spelling?), but other than that, I’m good. And I don’t think I’d even trade for that unless someone insisted, which isn’t happening.

Sheppard likes this.
  21. Sixpack595

Sixpack595 Devotee (481) Dec 12, 2002 Michigan

I thought there was something different about the label when I picked up a bottle last week, I didn't realize it was a brown bottle now! I'm color blind so I'm used to not noticing when the color things change, which is super handy when the girlfriend gets her hair done.:rolling_eyes: Looks like I'm drinking that bottle tonight!

22. mrmattosgood

Trader

I had someone gift me "some saison from California" and it was a Sante Adarius collaboration with (I think) Side Project. I forget the name. Really blew me away. The world will open up again one day and I shall fulfill my Sante/Russian River visitation goal.

AlcahueteJ, mambossa, Davl22 and 2 others like this.
  23. SFACRKnight

SFACRKnight Meyvn (1,471) Jan 20, 2012 Colorado
    Trader

I am late but am in.

eppCOS, Sheppard and mrmattosgood like this.
  24. SudsDoctor

TongoRad likes this.
  25. mrmattosgood

Trader

We are using “saison” as the tree here. “Farmhouse” “Wild” “brett” “funky” “grisette” all those little branches of this big tree are welcome!

26. zeff80

zeff80 Poo-Bah (12,085) Feb 6, 2006 Missouri
    Society

Mmmm. Can I drink Tank 7 every Saturday??

27. SierraNevallagash

Trader

Early 2018 I believe. My bottle had a date on it, and I want to say it was something like February or March '18. Whether or not there are later bottlings on the shelf or not, is another question.

@Stormfield's incident is unfortunate. My bottle was treated quite well, and I did not experience any light-struck effects. I can definitely see it being an issue with a mistreated or improperly stored bottle. I did a little when I see beer shelves directly beneath windows in shops.

28. unlikelyspiderperson

Society Trader

I'll have to look for a date on the next bottle but sounds like I'd better get on those lest they go bad!

SierraNevallagash likes this.
  29. JackHorzempa

Society

It's America. I 'say' yes!

Cheers to you!

fehrminator, eppCOS, Shanex and 4 others like this.
  30. Vitacca

Vitacca Crusader (764) Sep 15, 2010 Wisconsin
    Society Trader

Count me in for #SaisonSunday. I haven’t posted routinely in the WBAYDN thread for several years so maybe this will bring me back...

SFACRKnight, Shanex and mrmattosgood like this.
  31. JackHorzempa

Society

And permit me to 'remind' you of the ongoing New Beer Sunday thread which is a great community of folks IMO.

Cheers!

SABERG likes this.
  32. SudsDoctor

It's #SaisonSaturday. But you can drink some on Sunday too. :wink:

33. Stormfield

Drink and post whenever, I say. @mrmattosgood, our de facto leader in this thread, likes Saturday as a day to rally around the saison, but I bet he won’t discriminate against Sunday.

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  34. mrmattosgood

Trader

#Facts

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  35. zid

zid Meyvn (1,192) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

Thanks for the heads up. Sure is. This past week I had:
    Dupont, Vapeur's Saison de Pipaix, Blaugies La Vermontoise, De Glazen Toren Saison d'Erpe-Mere, and Barrier's Makin' Waves 001 (a local that was very nice). :slight_smile:

But despite that indulgent list above, I normally don't buy many these days since I mainly want Belgian imports and it's hard to find ones that aren't old.

I feel that we overprescribe the term, and use it to describe an entire output from some brewers rather than just a select few beers from them. With that in mind, sticking to beers that are labeled saisons by the brewers, these are my favorites:

Saison Dupont (standard, dry-hopped)
    Vapeur Saison de Pipaix
    Blaugies Saison d’Epeautre / La Vermontoise
    Saison Cazeau
    Fantom Saison
    Jandrain-Jandrenouille IV
    and any saison from Brasserie de la Senne

If I was getting an American beer, pretty much the only producers that I buy are:
    Allagash, Cambridge Brewing Company, Hill Farmstead, Blackberry Farm

Tell me about it. :slight_frown:

I haven't had any problems with a Blaugies beer being light-struck yet (but be careful with those corks!). I have encountered it as a problem with Thiriez before though (but I certainly still buy them).

La Vermontoise has been in production since 2013 or something similar (if that's what you mean). The bottle I just had was a 2018 750ml bottle. I don't know the year that the smaller bottles started to show up. I do not like "aged" saisons, but beggars can't be choosers. That 2018 Blaugies bottle had a character that I also get with old Duponts - something that I can only describe as having a diacetyl-like slickness. I'm not saying that it's diacetyl, and it could totally be my imagination. Perhaps the age factor isn't even the culprit despite my impressions that it is. Whatever the case, Dupont seems very susceptible to it. I adore Dupont, but I always worry when buying it. Regardless, I don't regret getting that 2018 La Vermontoise, and I definitely enjoyed the beer, but it didn't feel like it was in good shape to me.

Cheers.

AlcahueteJ, Cashbail, desint and 2 others like this.
  36. JackHorzempa

Society

Chris, do you have a 'cut off' point for a Saison being too old? Is it one year? Or is it two years?

Cheers!

zid likes this.
  37. Sheppard

Sheppard Meyvn (1,271) Mar 16, 2013 Massachusetts
    Trader

Might have trouble participating this week as I will be driving for most of the day. Will do my best.

mrmattosgood likes this.
  38. SawDog505

SawDog505 Poo-Bah (4,999) Apr 9, 2010 New Hampshire
    Society

For me sadly I loathe the style more almost than any. Nice idea, but not my jam and I have so many other great options for beer choices. Cheers man.

39. MrOH

MrOH Meyvn (1,195) Jul 5, 2010 Maryland

I dig it. Do homebrewed saisons count? It is probably my favorite style to brew at home.

I'm surprised that there aren't more commercial examples (at least that I can find), of saisons utilizing the newer US and NZ/AUS super fruity hops. Right Proper tends to do a good job with them.

40. zid

zid Meyvn (1,192) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Trader

I don't have one that would be universally applied. Many of these beers don't have dates or they have impossible to confidently decipher codes... so any rule wouldn't even be applicable. I also have different cut-offs for different beers depending on availability. If I saw a well-priced Jandrain-Jandrenouille IV, I'd get one even though I'd assume it was old. I wouldn't do the same for a more commonly available beer. Unless I'm hankering for a Saison Dupont, I won't buy it if it's over a year old... that's IF I can even reasonably determine the age. At the same time, looking at other beers in Dupont's range, I've had both good and bad results buying old bottles (some very old)... with very little predictability. These aren't bulk purchases for me. More often than not, we're talking about a single 750, and it's essentially a fun treat. Needless to say, I believe I'm much more of a glutton for punishment in this realm than you. :slight_smile:

AlcahueteJ and SABERG like this.