A King Henry-killer coming from Elevator Brewing Company?

Discussion in 'Great Lakes' started by MajorBuckeye, Mar 21, 2013.

1. ppohio

ppohio Aug 5, 2011 Illinois
    Beer Trader

Can we post this thread again next month when Bourbon County Barleywine is supposed to hit?

2. SteelersX

SteelersX Jan 30, 2011 New York
    Beer Trader

[quosure, post: 1108758, member: 394218"]I think I'm going to name my electronic indie rock band lateral evolution.[/quote]

Be sure to thank me on the CD

3. harrylee773

harrylee773 Aug 8, 2010 Illinois

I've got a growler in my fridge right now as a result of a friend's visit to their brewery a few weeks ago. If it's anywhere near as good as I thought their habanero IPA (Three Hot Frogs) was, I'm sure I'll enjoy it, whether it's as good as King Henry or not.

4. Envelopes

Envelopes Aug 26, 2012 Ohio

I had it on tap at the brewery a couple months ago and thought it was pretty good. I haven't had the King or many other barleywines, though. Also, I was told it was aged in Wild Turkey barrels.

5. MajorBuckeye

MajorBuckeye Jan 8, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

If you're still looking, I saw 2 bottles on display at Blacklick Wine & Spirits about an hour ago. Along with a decent amount of Ommegang Iron Throne.

6. MasterSki

MasterSki Dec 25, 2006 Ontario (Canada)
    Site Editor Subscriber Beer Trader

I am against any beer that diminishes their capacity to brew more Ghost Scorpion Lager.

7. WassailWilly

WassailWilly Sep 8, 2007 New York

In any event, I plan to do exactly as suggested and try this blind with a few others I haven't tried yet (including Cockeyed Cooper).
    Having tried Cockeyed Cooper and not King H.. I can say C.C. is an amazing brew. Worth seeking out for sure

8. xdefeatsy

xdefeatsy May 14, 2011 Ohio

I heard there was still some of this Bar-Bar at Ale Wine & Spirits in Powell as of yesterday; they're closed today. I haven't been super impressed with the Elevator beers I've had but lately I've had a couple that seem to be above average. I might have to get a bottle or two on Monday if they have some left.

9. BenBenedunt

BenBenedunt Mar 14, 2013 New Zealand (Aotearoa)

I dont even need to look to know this thread is full of 2012 join dates

FUNKPhD and mishuggah like this.
  10. jmckinney2323

jmckinney2323 Apr 4, 2012 Ohio

Or lots of people from Columbus.

11. nachos

nachos Jun 4, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

I don't even need to look to know this is a post from BrohammadAli/PlayaPlaya/BreakingBad

12. nachos

nachos Jun 4, 2012 Minnesota
    Beer Trader

On a serious note, I had a Bar Bar yesterday, I think it was very nicely done, but thought it could use more barrel character like BA Bigfoot

13. flayedandskinned

flayedandskinned Jan 1, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Na, the iPhone killer was the very first Android ever made.

14. BenBenedunt

BenBenedunt Mar 14, 2013 New Zealand (Aotearoa)

lol, bro

15. jmckinney2323

jmckinney2323 Apr 4, 2012 Ohio

Besides it says you joined in 2013.

16. Keffa

Keffa Jan 8, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Ice burn.

17. matt2591

matt2591 Aug 8, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Had Bar-Bar last night. I found it very underwhelming. No where near a top teir BA Barleywine. BTW, AWS in Powell ran out of Bar-Bar on Thursday night.

18. pyite

pyite Feb 25, 2013 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Whole foods in dublin had some over the weekend not sure if they still do or not

19. misterid

misterid Apr 3, 2009 Wisconsin

i'll need confirmation on whether or not it is indeed possible to overgold

20. Spider889

Spider889 Mar 24, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

What would the interest and activity in here look like if the thread title was actually accurate to the question the OP was really after?

I'm all for giving any beer from any brewery a fair shake though so for those in search I'd wager it isn't hard to find. Most bottle shops carry Elevator and it seems to last fairly long usually (I saw Ghost Scorpion bottles just last week). I never had King Henry so I suppose I'll never know the answer myself.

But since there's also a debate going on over the great BA Barleywines I'll throw out some love for MoaS. That has to be my favorite so far (even over Kuhnhenn BBBW imo). I only got a small amount but BA Bigfoot was also amazing. If anyone could somehow trade me a combo of MoaS/BA Bigfoot/King Henry I'd be up for it... just sayin'.

FUNKPhD likes this.
  21. FUNKPhD

FUNKPhD Apr 13, 2010 Texas

I'm going to agree that King Henry shouldn't be hard too "kill" at this point. It was amazing fresh, but it diminished rather quickly. That being said, it really should be no beer to end all beers for a BBA Barleywine style.

hegemonycricket likes this.
  22. RyanMcFly1985

RyanMcFly1985 Oct 20, 2007 Ohio
    Beer Trader

Elevator makes its way into Acme stores in the Akron area. Anyone know if bottles of Bar Bar made it to any of them? Montrose didn't have any as of Friday.

23. Envelopes

Envelopes Aug 26, 2012 Ohio

from the Elevator facebook:

24. Spider889

Spider889 Mar 24, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

So... roughly 2 bourbon barrels total here? King Henry ain't got nothing on that type of rarity. ;) Maybe it won't be that easy to come by after all.

25. MajorBuckeye

MajorBuckeye Jan 8, 2012 Ohio
    Beer Trader

For anyone still looking......I saw what looked like at least 4 bottles at the World of Beer - Easton.

I didn't pick any up as it was in the cooler and I was on my lunch break.

I still haven't tried mine, should be doing so soon.

26. Keffa

Keffa Jan 8, 2009 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I got mine at Beverage Source in Newark, 12.99 a bottle, he had 2 cases, IIRC.

27. RyanMcFly1985

Beer Trader

I'll be passing through Columbus this weekend. Is there anywhere right off 71 or 70 that still has this available?

28. beesy

beesy Jul 21, 2010 Ohio
    Beer Trader

I doubt it. I haven't seen it around and it seemed to have gone quick. I think it's a very good beer - the mouthfeel was insane!

29. RyanMcFly1985

Beer Trader

Bummer. Oh well. Thanks for the info man.

• About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Return of the Belgian Beer Fest

BeerAdvocate Brings its All-Belgian Fest to Portland, Maine on September 17, 2016. Tickets are on sale now.

Learn More
  • Get the Mag

Become a BeerAdvocate magazine print subscriber today.

Subscribe