A new Sam Adams beer - Festbier

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by JackHorzempa, Jul 25, 2021.

1. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,118) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

Roguer, TrojanRB, cavedave and 22 others like this.
  2. defunksta

defunksta Meyvn (1,127) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Trader

I will be extremely excited to try this one. As a fan of both festbiers and Oktoberfests, I think festbiers are a niche that has a lot of room to be explored by American craft brewers, especially during the warmer fall months when the actual Oktoberfest happens. Sam Adams Oktoberfest is fantastic and hope it is still brewed this year too, but optimistically hopeful about this festbier release and how it compares to some of the authentic German festbiers!

rsvp, ATL6245, Gemini6 and 15 others like this.
  3. meanmutt

meanmutt Meyvn (1,020) Feb 6, 2012 Ohio
    Trader

Very excited to check this one out!

russpowell, Bitterbill and sefus12 like this.
  4. JackHorzempa

Society

You can rely on that. It is my understanding that this seasonal beer sells extremely well for BBC. I know there are some vocal BAs who post disparaging things about Sam Adams Oktoberfest but there are many (millions I presume) of beer consumers that really enjoy this beer. Below is the can label for this 2021 Oktoberfest:

[​IMG]

Cheers!

5. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,094) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Maybe, just maybe, there's a way to blend the two beers and come up with a true, to-style, Okto Marzen. :grin:
    @FBarber -- how vocal can you go? :wink:

#5 steveh, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    russpowell, Bitterbill and FBarber like this.
  6. AccipiterofBeer

AccipiterofBeer Devotee (425) Nov 28, 2016 New York

Well this means we could potentially get an amazing Fall/Oktober fest themed Variety Pack.

Boston Lager (Vienna Style)
    Oktoberfest
    Festbier
    ???

Recently variety packs have only been 4 beers, so I won't get my hopes up for the older 6 beer format. But imagine if the fourth is something like Noble Pils, Bavarian Lager or one of the older variety pack lagers. I'd be stacking cases. Although being realistic, it will probably be a hazy ale or Jack-O or something else trendy.

[​IMG]

#6 AccipiterofBeer, Jul 25, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
  7. skivtjerry

skivtjerry Zealot (576) Mar 10, 2006 Vermont

This could be very good if done right. Though I initially misread the IBU as 122 rather than 22 and freaked a bit...

8. Fordcoyote15

Fordcoyote15 Meyvn (1,013) Nov 19, 2011 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Bonfire rauchbier would make me a very happy man. I remember buying a variety pack in the fall of 2011 and didn't know what to make of the rauchbier when I opened the first one. By the time the variety pack was through I was an enormous fan of it and it set me on a path of exploring as many rauchbiers as possible. I've always wanted to revisit it.

9. CBlack85

CBlack85 Crusader (784) Jul 12, 2009 South Carolina
    Trader

I'd be willing to give this one a try, though I'm not a huge fan of their Octoberfest as it's a bit sweet for my palate.

10. BeastOfTheNortheast

BeastOfTheNortheast Zealot (527) Dec 26, 2009 Pennsylvania

Will be trying this for sure. As for Octoberfest, will def. pick that up too. That beer is a classic.

11. UGADawgGuy

UGADawgGuy Initiate (160) Jul 16, 2008 Georgia

Any idea when this one (the Oktoberfest) will ship/when it is supposed to be on store shelves nationally?

12. steveh

Society

There's no updated info on either beer at the BBC website -- at least as of yesterday.

In years past our local distro always held the Sam Octo back until all the Sam Summer sold out -- but for some reason the Sam was one of the first Oktos I saw last year.

Bitterbill likes this.
  13. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,728) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

I have to imagine that Sam Adams Oktoberfest is among the best selling examples in the world. It's in nearly every American grocery/liquor store from coast to coast for 1/3 of the year. It's sweet for my tastes, but it's not an awful beer or anything. I'm still not usually a fan of pale Märzens. In spite of them being designed for mass consumption, my palate gets bored with them quickly. I can drink helles (or even Bavarian exports and such) all day, but festbier/pale Märzen is 1-and-done.

14. steveh

Society

Huh. Just can't compute that interpretation. To me (better) Wiesn-style Festbiers have all the same qualities as a Helles, just amped up a little more. I wouldn't turn down an afternoon session with either.

In fact, I've spent a few afternoon sessions with both! :slight_smile:

15. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,279) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Well, there was this report posted by @Grounder yesterday:

16. tzieser

tzieser Meyvn (1,185) Nov 21, 2006 New Jersey
    Trader

Kinda ironic that I just got done criticizing them over in the other thread for not brewing enough traditional beer styles and then they went ahead and brewed a traditional beer style.

The beer gods are listening! Keep 'em coming!!

17. JackHorzempa

Society

Please continue criticizing since Jim et. al. seems to be listening to you.

Could I request that you make a post requesting Old Fezziwig Ale as a standalone brand for 2021?

Cheers!

18. Domingo

Domingo Poo-Bah (2,728) Apr 23, 2005 Colorado
    Society

You'd think it would be like helles but better, but for me it accentuates the wrong things. At least for my tastes they come across as one-note and out-of-balance sweet. Not sticky like a bock (or candy stout and such), but sweet enough that there's no crispness on the back end. Instead of me wanting more, I want something lighter. For what it's worth, there are certain (stronger) exports that do the same thing and I don't love about 1/2 the maibocks I've had, too. I think it's just stronger pale lager styles are hit and miss for me. I can put down amber Märzen and darker bocks by the liter, though.

TrojanRB, SFACRKnight, Rug and 6 others like this.
  19. pjbear05

pjbear05 Initiate (124) May 28, 2008 Florida

^This, although the draft versions vary from year to year. 2 years ago was pretty decent, downed more than a fair amount. OTOH, last year's version I tried a sampler and had it immediately drain poured as way too sweet.

20. JackHorzempa

Society

I too have noticed that draft Oktoberfest has varied but I have noticed differences even within a given year; more like a batch to batch variation for me. I have gotten into the practice of requesting a sample pour before committing to a full draft pint. I do enjoy those draft pints that are not too sweet.

Cheers!

Bitterbill likes this.
  21. Stormfield

Stormfield Aspirant (201) Feb 21, 2011 Massachusetts

Last year the Sam Adams tap room in Boston did release Old Fezziwig in four packs of 16 once cans. It was a small batch and I have no idea how long it lasted. I never went over to pick any up, but I wish I did.

Gemini6, Rug, Bitterbill and 2 others like this.
  22. steveh

Society

See, I like my Helles and Festbier to be soft and smooth to dry in the finish -- not necessarily crisp. I leave that for a good German Pils.

But you're right, there are a few different takes on Festbier (there is a real good one being brewed locally I hope to find again this year) -- will be interesting to taste Sam Adams' rendition.

Bitterbill likes this.
  23. steveh

Society

Traditional in name. It will be interesting to taste this one. They did pretty good with Alpine Spring, so fingers crossed.

Bitterbill and AlcahueteJ like this.
  24. Tilley4

Tilley4 Poo-Bah (2,359) Nov 13, 2007 Tennessee
    Society Trader

Won't lie...I will pick this up for sure of I see it...the Oktoberfest is a staple in my fridge every fall but I prefer the more pale offerings so I will for sure try this

25. defunksta

defunksta Meyvn (1,127) Jan 18, 2019 North Dakota
    Trader

I'd like to see the return of the Rauchbier. Would definitely be in favor for a Rauchbier in a German variety pack. I think a German lager variety pack would sell well for the season.

26. BeerVikingSailor

BeerVikingSailor Meyvn (1,033) Nov 19, 2009 Ohio
    Trader

Like many, I find the Sam A regular Okto-fest a tad too sweet....

I will be looking forward to trying this new "festbier" variation though.....esp. since it is brewed here in Ohio (Cincy)....bring them on!

27. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,256) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

That variety pack is so legit and an awesome lineup , where have the good times gone? There has to be a large market of beer drinkers that would be all over that variety pack here in 2021 simply because a) these are beers that BBC actually makes very well/better than most of mass distributed competition b) the competition for these styles is much less than their current pushed options which are bland, easy drinkers and hazy IPAs done subpar.

Rug, DrOfGolf, ESHBG and 2 others like this.
  28. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (148) Mar 16, 2018 Tennessee

For some reason the “Smooth Lager” naming kind of irks me. It’s a lager, of course I should expect it to be smooth. Did marketing think that insulting the customer with something so obvious would get them extra sales?

29. steveh

Society

Since "lager" has been such a bad word in craft brewing for so long, maybe they weren't taking chances. :wink:

30. EmperorBatman

EmperorBatman Initiate (148) Mar 16, 2018 Tennessee

Well, that'd be ironic considering they were one of the main breweries to make lager acceptable and cool again with their OG Boston Lager. Should they rebrand that to "crisp and tangy (Boston) Lager"?

AlcahueteJ likes this.
  31. steveh

Society

Well, I was being facetious, but...
    But did they really? So many slams against Sam Adams as a "craft brewery" from the "craft brew community" over the years, you have to wonder.

Then there's the debate over BL being a Vienna -- and is it really all that smooth like a good lager? Let alone an elegant Vienna (and yes, I'm talking in to-style terms, not outright drinkability/enjoyability).

And let's not get into the debate over their Octo.

But yeah, there's the Alpine Spring -- which I never got an opportunity to try when it was rebranded.

EmperorBatman likes this.
  32. jesskidden

Society Trader

Not sure what the US-based marketing guys think but (and maybe 'cause I know "too much" :grin:) I always associate "smooth" with the UK marketing of canned and bottled nitrogenized beers, like Guinness Smooth and John Smith Extra Smooth.

I used to joke: "Smooth? Gee, then what are other beers? Chunky-Style? Like peanut butter." Of course, the joke's probably no longer funny (if it ever was :wink:) given all of today's "innovative" beers than are chunky, murky, thick and hazy.

(BTW - Chunky, Murky, Thick & Hazy are not Snow White's #8 - 11 dwarf rejects).

33. MNAle

MNAle Poo-Bah (2,188) Sep 6, 2011 Minnesota
    Society

But it might be a good name for a new Dogfish Head NEIPA. :grin:

34. JackHorzempa

Society

35. jesskidden

Society Trader

I've written it before here on the BA forums (and thought it much more often) but, as you note, I'm guilty of it, too - someone trying to be ironic, sarcastic or funny or otherwise ridicule the flavorings added to what used to be beer:

#35 jesskidden, Jul 27, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  36. Squire

Squire Poo-Bah (2,591) Jul 16, 2015 Mississippi
    Society Trader

Who knows what lurks in the mind of marketers.

DrOfGolf and HorseheadsHophead like this.
  37. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,302) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

Their Octoberfest (Märzen-style) is too candy-sweet for me, but I'd give this a try.

steveh likes this.
  38. Crusader

Crusader Disciple (337) Feb 4, 2011 Sweden

Perhaps they have discovered the same secret that the Hamm's people discovered in the 1960s.

39. jesskidden

Society Trader

Olympia Brewing Co's president, Leopold F. Schmidt might have given away that secret after that company purchased the Theo. Hamm Brewing Co. in 1975.
    Hamm's had briefly been owned by a group of mid-western Hamm's distributors ("Brewers Unlimited") but previous to that the importer Heublein (Smirnoff, Black & White Scotch, even Guinness into the 1960s) was Hamm's parent company. (Before Heublein purchase, one half of current Hamm's label owner Molson had attempted to purchase the company but that takeover was abandoned after objections by DoJ over Anti-trust concerns.)

Although back in 1968 the local Minneapolis Star's business reporter announcing the new "Smooth" campaign noted that Theo. Hamm had switched to a newly patented type of hop extract (even hiring the creator of the process from Pfizer) that resulted in a beer with "less bitterness and double the shelf life". The main development being "the elimination in the extract of much of the resins that provide the bitter taste generally associated with beer."

40. SILVER

SILVER Initiate (177) Jan 3, 2007 Florida

The Shadow do...?

beergoot, DrOfGolf and Squire like this.