AB InBev says goodbye to Anheuser-Busch's eagle

Discussion in 'Beer News & Releases' started by jesskidden, Jan 16, 2022.

1. jesskidden

jesskidden Poo-Bah (2,426) Aug 10, 2005 New Jersey
    Society Trader

Looks like AB-InBev has a new logo:

At the time of the buyout and new AB-InBev logo, I thought it looked as if the eagle was saying "I'm gettin' the !@#$ outta here..."
    [​IMG]

:thinking_face:I have a vague recollection of some legal difficulties between D, G. Yuengling & Son and Anheuser-Busch over the eagle but don't remember exactly when (circa 1850s-2000s?) or if I'm just making it up. IIRC, in the US alone there have been close to a dozen "Eagle" breweries over the years.

2. rgordon

rgordon Meyvn (1,236) Apr 26, 2012 North Carolina

A cold Bud is really decent and very easy to drink. We have a few eagles breeding around here, but it's been the two ospreys and pair of cormorants that garner most of my attention. Other than the snow that's falling freely out my window. Bud is a Belgian/Brazilian thang, ya''ll.

Squire, rocdoc1, AlcahueteJ and 5 others like this.
  3. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,322) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

That second eagle looks like a love child of the Bud eagle and Guinness toucan….

I guess it looks bad for the large corporations who contribute significantly to global warming to use symbols from nature.

4. beerjerk666

beerjerk666 Poo-Bah (3,213) Aug 22, 2010 Florida
    Society Trader

From the original artistic logo that, to me, represents strength and freedom. Something...American.
    To this AB-Inbev POS logo that looks like a high school student made for a project. It doesn't even look like it represents anything beer related or anything that has anything at all to do with quality.

Pathetic and sad.

Never liked Budweiser, never will.

5. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,880) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

I hope they're so proud of this that they'll slap it on every label they own. It'd make it a lot easier for me to tell what not to buy.

pudgym29, Squire, rocdoc1 and 11 others like this.
  6. dcotom

dcotom Poo-Bah (2,880) Aug 4, 2014 Iowa
    Society Trader

At least they won't have to redesign it if they decide to start buying out toilet paper companies.

7. moodenba

moodenba Zealot (552) Feb 2, 2015 New York

I think you identified the problem with the eagle -- it's an American symbol. Inbev is an international company and Bud is an international brand. In any case, the new logo lacks ... everything.

8. russpowell

russpowell Poo-Bah (11,957) May 24, 2005 Arkansas
    Society Trader

9. AccipiterofBeer

AccipiterofBeer Devotee (499) Nov 28, 2016 New York

+1 Yuengling

LesDewitt4beer and beergoot like this.
  10. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, I'm sure the A w/Eagle will remain the logo of Anheuser-Busch Companies, LLC, which is technically the US subsidiary of parent Anheuser-Busch InBev.

11. bubseymour

bubseymour Poo-Bah (3,391) Oct 30, 2010 Maryland
    Society Trader

AB-InBev should switch to the Clidesdales logo for marketing (realize it’s specific to Bud marketing) and let Yuengling have the Eagle. InBev isn’t American owned anymore so take away the bald eagle as it’s American symbolism. I’m probably alone here, but I like the image new eagle pic better than the old one. More majestic soaring in the sky. The old one looks like an eagle sitting on a nest squalking with contorted neck. Just kinda weird looking IMO. I do like the old German symbol for A though.

ChicagoJ likes this.
  12. GOBLIN

GOBLIN Meyvn (1,291) Mar 3, 2013 Ohio
    Trader

You absolutely nailed it with your observation. It's simply not cool to be American and proud of it anymore.

13. jesskidden

Society Trader

InBev - the 2004 merger of the Belgian Interbrew and the Brazilian AmBrew - was never American-owned and AB's use of the eagle was likely also influenced, as were some of the other German-born US brewers', by the German federal eagle symbol. The Budweiser label's eagle once looked quite different (and even more similar to Yuengling's).
    [​IMG]
    A good example of a very Germanic looking eagle on a beer label was on Detroit's Goebel Brewing Co's labels, which they changed during WWII to an "Americanized" version.
    [​IMG]

But AB-InBev is a multinational company - their US subsidiary, Anheuser-Busch, which often "waves the flag" (sometimes to the point in which Samuel Johnson's quote comes to mind) in their promotional material will no doubt keep their A/Eagle logo.
    Previous to the buyout:
    [​IMG]
    Post-buy-out.
    [​IMG]

#13 jesskidden, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  14. LesDewitt4beer

LesDewitt4beer Meyvn (1,118) Jan 25, 2021 Minnesota
    Society

This might work for a target market. I mean...
    [​IMG]

15. rgordon

When I was about 5 years old I would ride with my Dad to The Longbranch over on Lawndale Drive. There was a dusty old Budweiser poster that depicted Custer's Last Stand.and it always fascinated me. I had a very early love of history. This was circa 1954. I had a hotdog and a coke and my Dad had a Schlitz. The business is still operating and the last time I had an ice-cold returnable Bud (1988?). That poster was still there.

Squire, rocdoc1, officerbill and 7 others like this.
  16. bret27

bret27 Poo-Bah (1,970) Mar 10, 2009 California
    Society Trader

We’ll all miss Budweiser’s beloved Eagly.
    [​IMG]

17. steveh

steveh Poo-Bah (3,373) Oct 8, 2003 Illinois
    Society

Just sayin'.

Bitterbill likes this.
  18. jesskidden

Society Trader

Supposedly, (according to the AB history, Bitter Brew) in the 1890s Adophus Busch found the original huge oil painting ( 9' X 16') called "Custer's Last Fight" in a bankrupt saloon which owned him money, so he got the painting and then paid $35k for reproduction rights, and then had another artist make a copy "with more blood and scalps". By the middle of the 20th century it was estimated AB had distributed close to a million copies of their lithographed reproductions.
    (IIRC, there's lot more info and pics on the 'net).

#18 jesskidden, Jan 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  19. HouseofWortship

HouseofWortship Meyvn (1,322) May 3, 2016 Illinois
    Society Trader

That name sounds familiar. Were they the first to start liquid dating their beers?

rocdoc1 likes this.
  20. rgordon

Thank you. Those memories are profound and so rich. I miss my father more all of the time, but he did share some tavern time with me, after mowing the grass, and it is like a warm glow musing on those days and the wonder that I still carry.

21. jesskidden

Society Trader

"Liquid dating" ? Not quite sure what you mean. Contrary to popular belief - and promoted by both BBC and AB in the 1990s - lots of brewers date coding their beers starting after Repeal (likely some before, too, but that's not my primary area research).

Often in the early years after Repeal they used a "Brewed on" date to prove that the beer wasn't "green" - rushed to market without what was then considered a standard aging/lagering period of a few months.

But never came across any info on Goebel, which was purchased by Stroh in the 1960s, which was located right across the street.

(Unfortunately Google destroyed my websites with an "update" and my Date Code history page is unreadable).

22. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (498) Sep 1, 2004 New York

As long as they don't remove the iconic neon eagle above the Newark brewery I'm fine with whatever they do. Could not care less.

Seeing that giant bird from the air, coming home to EWR, that has always been a moment. You don't eff with New Jersey.

Cheers

23. hoppytobehere

hoppytobehere Champion (844) Aug 10, 2012 District of Columbia

as long as the sign off I-64 in St. Louis isn't going anywhere...

[​IMG]

24. JackHorzempa

JackHorzempa Poo-Bah (5,429) Dec 15, 2005 Pennsylvania
    Society

[​IMG]

PapaGoose03 and billandsuz like this.
  25. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Poo-Bah (2,467) Aug 5, 2008 Wisconsin
    Society

The brewery is on the National Register of Historic Places, so if its a contributing element, it may be safe. However, while I have to dabble in this from time to time in my full time job, I am far from an expert and cannot speak to that.

26. rgordon

Bullseye pour moi.....

Bitterbill and LesDewitt4beer like this.
  27. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,726) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Reading responses in this thread, it seems like there might be some confusion over what the new logo is. This is the new logo:
    [​IMG]

28. jesskidden

Society Trader

For those who couldn't take the suspense of watching the 12 second "origin" video. :grin:

Not to be confused with this logo:
    [​IMG]
    Man, while the DoJ wouldn't allow it, those two logos would sure be easy to merge.

When I was a kid MAD magazine did an article on what the logos would look like if famous companies merged. The one I remember best was the combined Sherwin-Williams and Dutch Boy paint companies. You get the idea....:grin:

#29 jesskidden, Jan 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2022
  29. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,726) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I know the "cover the earth" logo is iconic and not without criticisms, but every time I see it, I always think that if someone at an agency presented that today they'd be fired. As far as the new AB InBev one, rather than clinking glasses or whatever, when I see it all I see is a bocce ball.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

jmdrpi, emerge077, Bitterbill and 5 others like this.
  30. JackHorzempa

Society

Is the new CEO of AB InBev Italian? :confused:

Cheers!

officerbill likes this.
  31. moodenba

moodenba Zealot (552) Feb 2, 2015 New York

When I look at the logo with my head tilted slightly to the right, I get the impression of a frowning beer drinker.

Redrover likes this.
  32. jesskidden

Society Trader

When I first watched the video, I figured it would stop here...
    [​IMG]
    ...and I thought, "Hey, they're rippin' off Genesee!"

33. rgordon

Is that point of sale or piece of "stuff"?

jasonmason likes this.
  34. officerbill

officerbill Savant (958) Feb 9, 2019 New York
    Society Trader

What did you name your dog?:wink:

Bitterbill, JackHorzempa and bret27 like this.
  35. JackHorzempa

Society

Tweety!?!

Cheers!

36. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Zealot (521) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

I'm not sure whether to be angry or shrug my shoulders.

I assume Corporate Logo is different than Branding? I'm assuming the old logo will still be out there on stuff?

37. billandsuz

billandsuz Devotee (498) Sep 1, 2004 New York

[​IMG]

AB married InBrew, which is a marriage of AmBev, which is a marriage of something known as Brahma, who were wed to Antarctica, before they were something called Guanabara? Or something.

They also make off shore oil rigs, cat food, air to air missiles as well as baby formula. Oh, and Budwieser. And some electrolyte antioxidant energy drinks. Etc. I think this is 100% accurate and true.

Enough said.
    Cheers.

edit-
    And of course, AB is a marriage in and of itself. Literally.

#38 billandsuz, Jan 19, 2022
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2022
  38. Todd

Todd Founder (6,632) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

AlcahueteJ and psweet70 like this.
  39. jesskidden

Society Trader

Yeah, sorry 'bout that. I thought beer geeks would understand the difference between the logo of the parent company Anheuser-Busch InBev and one for its US wholly-owned subsidiary, Anheuser-Busch Companies, LLC. (Do the local ice cream freaks talk about Ben & Jerry's as that "Unilever ice cream"? :thinking_face: Maybe.)

But, as the thread progressed I realized I was wrong and remembered all the posts in which people use the name "Samuel Adams" to mean the Boston Beer Co. and not it's (once) primary brand, or still talk about "Miller" as if it is an existing brewing company and not just a brand owned by Molson Coors. Or even talk about "Budweiser" when they mean the company, Anheuser-Busch.

Plus I guess I was also slightly parodying the sensationalism popular with some headline writers.:grin: