Ability to Search user's beer reviews

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Dan_K, Oct 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (515) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

Okay, so I am in the midst of a trade with a BA member. He's got 2800+ beer reviews.
    In an attempt to get him some beers he's never tried, I was searching through his reviews to see what he definately has had, and maybe has not had.

To search through 2800 beers, when sorted by brewery, is a pretty arduous task, paging through page after page to get to the brewery you want. And then when you go back, you may have to start all over again.
    I would love to be able to select a user, and then search only in that user's beers. Maybe there is a way to do this that I have not yet discovered?

Duff27, jrnyc, Ranbot and 1 other person like this.
  2. Dan_K

Trader

So I have been messing around and someone with good knowledge of google and web design might be able to figure this out.
    For example, here's a string I tried:
    Code:
    site:beeradvocate.com user+beers+bgold86 "oskar blues"
    Number One result is "Ten Fidy" which said user has logged.
    It seems to return a list of all beers reviewed by said person, which is awesome, and it prioritizes by relevancy.
    So I am getting there, but it's not perfect.

jmdrpi and Duff27 like this.
  3. Smakawhat

Smakawhat Poo-Bah (8,349) Mar 18, 2008 Maryland
    Society

This would all be solved if on a users screen you could filter by any of the categories instead of just sorting, such as filtering on brewery, a style, or preferably any combination of the fields. If this feature was available you'd have a shorter list to scroll through.

4. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (10,254) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

Or by allowing the query string in the URL be something like the first letter you are looking for rather than the number...

Something like:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/user/beers/?ba=dbrauneis&order=breweryA&start=S&view=H

Instead of:
    http://www.beeradvocate.com/user/beers/?ba=dbrauneis&order=breweryA&start=50&view=H

Much easier to know the letter by which you want the sorted list to jump to rather than the starting point numerically.

5. Dan_K

Trader

This becomes more a problem with people who have had more than a couple pages of beers reviewed here.

6. Todd

Todd Founder (6,682) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society Trader

The indexing (for proper searching) of millions of user reviews isn't an option for the foreseeable future.

We're planning on overhauling the site's search next year, at which time we can reevaluate this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.