Abnormal Beer Co - Winter 16/17

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Coldstorage, Nov 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissFeisty

MissFeisty Initiate (138) Dec 18, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

They've got to keep the hype at a fever pitch. Nothing says hype like people who don't value their time camping over night for beer.

2. sgudino

sgudino Initiate (139) Apr 15, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

Abnormal must not be confident with the beer if they feel the need to "hype" it up by holding a line. If the beer is good, it will sell regardless of the sale method, in my opinion.

I've had New Money before and it's a decent beer, but I've definitely had better NE style IPAs out of the west coast. Beers that I didn't have to stand in line for.

Any ideas as to what the excuses (reasons) will be for having this be in-person as opposed to online (like the stouts)? Not enough cold storage?

3. tyrsis

tyrsis Disciple (316) Mar 13, 2009 California
    Beer Trader

It's easier to just sell out your entire run in a day.
    • No BPT fees
    • No storage
    • No staffing for pickups during a "pickup window"

Don't get me wrong, I want BPT. But I understand.

4. darkmoon66

darkmoon66 Aspirant (235) Oct 8, 2011 California
    Beer Trader

Anyone try the beers they released today?

5. Brent212

Brent212 Initiate (67) Jan 13, 2014 California

Yeah, New Money is good, and Turbidity is phenomenal.

6. Kavinci

Kavinci Aspirant (244) Apr 20, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

FYI each batch of "New Money" has different hops so each will taste completely different. This batch #4 is awesome. Turbidity is awesome as well but feels like it needs a week or two to reach it's peak.

7. sgudino

Beer Trader

The New Money can I just had was pretty boozy on the nose. Not much of a "juice bomb"...maybe this needs time to mellow out, but this is basically the way I remember all previous batches of this beer; they're hazy, but nothing much else out of it.

I read some of these reviews after drinking and, wow, I'm either way off or people are really trying to make this sound like Abnormal is the second coming of Monkish...which, it is far from being. This isn't even one of the better hazy IPAs out of San Diego.

I will say, however, Turbidity is definitely the better of the two beers they released this weekend

8. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Disciple (302) Dec 21, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

I love the irony of the Turbidity can stating "Simply Different"...

9. Kavinci

Kavinci Aspirant (244) Apr 20, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

Well... since it's the first Hazy IPA NE style can being produced in north county SD it is different...

10. 3SH33TS

3SH33TS Disciple (302) Dec 21, 2010 California
    Beer Trader

11. darkmoon66

Beer Trader

There must be some can variation then, because the New Money can I opened last night was straight orange juice in almost a weird way. It had 0 head and a slightly acidic aftertaste (I feel like I could have convinced people it was a mix drink, not beer).

Turbidity is probably the best hazy IPA I've had from San Diego County, and up there with Monkish's best stuff.

12. sgudino

Beer Trader

VERY interesting...because the can I drank, the first I've had so far, seemed overly carbonated, to the point where the head spilled over the glass; it wasn't a hard pour by any stretch either. I'll hold out some hope that, maybe, the remaining cans will be different..

13. MissFeisty

Beer Trader

I get a giggle every time I read that on any of their labels or marketing collateral. They are basically a clone of so many other hype train breweries.

14. Javier2000

Javier2000 Initiate (183) Nov 28, 2015 California
    Beer Trader

I wouldn't throw them on hype train status yet, They can actually brew non-BA stouts, whereas everywhere else there non-BA stouts are thin garbage. I love BL but I will never drink any of there non-BA stouts. Speedway and most of its variants are also underwhelming unless its BAVSS and BASS, etc. Same goes for MT.

15. MissFeisty

Beer Trader

So the absence of a barrel on their stouts (so far) is what keeps them from being a hype train brewery? So the fact that all of their stouts are hip deep in adjuncts, or the fact that they are now canning hazy IPA's doesn't do it for you?

_Joe_ likes this.
  16. Javier2000

Beer Trader

I could care less about IPAs and at least their adjuncts aren't overly cloying, except MM, although I actually enjoy that over most Maple syrup beers. But yes the absence of barrel on them is something I personally find refreshing.

Having said that it doesn't mean they aren't part of the New Money trend. The upcoming Sunglasses and Beer combo the have coming up definitely puts them in the target of New Money Brewing. Just not Hyper Train Brewery yet. Once they start Overcharging like Tomme, have infected batches or noticeable dips in quality while increasing production/prices than they will be, but they still have at least another year IMO until they become a Hype brewery.

#136 Javier2000, Mar 20, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
  17. Xul

Xul Crusader (747) May 18, 2008 California

$26 for adjunct stouts that haven't been barrel aged is definitely at the top end of the pricing spectrum. Project that out to BA versions and you're looking at $35 - $40 for a 22oz bottle. That's Tomme pricing.

I enjoy their beer and will continue to buy it, but you're trying to apply selective logic to make Abnormal seem like something they're not. They're directly following the hype train handbook in almost every possible way but as long as the beers is good and I can buy it with a minimum of hassle, I don't really care.

18. Javier2000

Beer Trader

I'm just saying that personally to me the only thing they have done to generate hype is do an IP release of their cans, everything else that has been generated is by customers and social media. I only blame breweries for the hype they create not what others bestow upon them. That's more of my problem with Hype Trains

19. MissFeisty

Beer Trader

Like the poster said previously, I am having trouble following the logic here. Abnormal is near the highest end of bottle pricing for non BA stouts. We'll take Bottle Logic's latest release Fundamental Forces as an example. Not only is the beer barrel aged, but it is 16% ABV which took some additional labor and materials to get it there. It sat in a barrel for 16 months so the occupancy time is pretty high. Finally, it's finished off with vanilla beans, the second highest priced spice in the world. The bottle was $25. Abnormal uses similar spices so I suppose we can call that a wash. But the absence of barrel aging makes that price outrageously high still.

And a brewery that has infections, dips in quality, and increases in cost makes a brewery a hype brewery? You are entitled to your opinion no doubt, but I couldn't disagree any more with this. Cost increases are part of every business. And no brewery that makes barrel aged beer is safe from infections. As you expand and increase volume, it becomes tougher to make these beers and keep them clean. It's how a brewery responds that dictates how the public views them. Lost Abbey handles most quality issues poorly and thus, their reputation is as infected as 2009 Angel's Share.

When a brewery specializes mostly in "flavor of the week" beers like wild ales, IPA's, and adjunct stouts, they are a hype brewery IMO. But don't ask me. Derek himself has admitted to trying to capitalize on hype and that hype adds extra pressure on his team to deliver beers that live up to said hype. Just my 2¢.

20. Drunken_Master

Drunken_Master Initiate (132) Mar 6, 2014 California

+1 The expectation here is to meet the demand (?) of trying to reach that same quality over quantity. I believe that's what Derek was aiming for. When I spoke to him about the nuttella beer release (can' t recall the name atm) during sdbw at the first weekend brunch most had preconceived thoughts that he may had just dumped a Shit town of that crap but such was not the case; It's about curating the right ingredients.

21. Frosty11161

Frosty11161 Initiate (160) May 2, 2016 California
    Beer Trader

I would like to point out if we're going to get into numbers that Bottle Logic is 500ml while Abnormal beers have been 650ml. Both somewhat pricy, but at least Bottle Logic is staying near Bruery pricing levels, not Lost Abbey.

22. darkmoon66

Beer Trader

Abnormal is definitely on board with the hype train but who cares? Their beer tastes great IMO

Nisfornike and AlexM like this.
  23. SDReaper

SDReaper Devotee (480) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

Wings extra crispy with 5PM Session and then a Boss Pour...Mmmmmmm......

infectedstouts likes this.
  24. DeanoMac

DeanoMac Initiate (148) Mar 20, 2012 California
    Beer Trader

A little off the current topic but I'm going in to be in SD next Thursday and was planning to hit up Abnormal. Can anyone tell me their growler policy and if they normally have good stuff available for fills?

25. ClippersSD

ClippersSD Aspirant (204) Jul 17, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

5pm Session IPA and Boss Pour IPA are typical standard fills. The other IPA's that are rotated are not. Blank growlers are OK

DeanoMac likes this.
  26. SDReaper

SDReaper Devotee (480) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Beer Trader

How long are you staying in SD for? Their 2yr anniversary is on April 1st (not a joke). This is their current draft / special bottle list for that day...obviously they are unlikely to growler fill at all that day.

SPECIAL DRAFT
    - Abnormal Beer Co Year Two IIPA**NEW**
    - Abnormal Beer Co Mole Cuddles**NEW**
    - Abnormal Beer Co Crushability**NEW**
    - Abnormal Beer Co Seven Grand**NEW**
    - Abnormal Beer Co M2
    - Abnormal Beer Co Bill & Derek's Excellent Adventure
    - Abnormal Beer Co New Money Batch 4
    - Abnormal Beer Co Turbidity
    - Lost Abbey 2014 BA Santa's Little Helper
    - Perennial Abraxas
    - Mikkeller Bla Spogelse
    - Lagunitas Willet - Perennial Sump
    - Good Beer Co George
    - Lost Abbey Cuvée de Tomme
    - Superstition Meadery Coffee Marion
    - Almanac Valley of the Heart's Delight
    - Cascade Blueberry
    ~
    ON SITE BOTTLES
    - Abnormal Beer Co Quinquenio
    - Abnormal Beer Co M3
    - Abnormal Beer Co All of the Lights
    - Abnormal Beer Co Goodbye Tomorrow
    - Drie Fonteinen Oude Gueuze
    - Deschutes Abyss 2014

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • BeerAdvocate Microbrew Invitational

Join us June 2-3, 2017 in Boston, Mass. for beer, cider, mead, kombucha and sake from over 70 small producers.

Learn More
  • Subscribe to BeerAdvocate Magazine

Support uncompromising beer advocacy and award-winning, independent journalism with a print subscription to BeerAdvocate magazine.

Subscribe