Abnormal Brewing - Summer 2017

Discussion in 'Pacific' started by Yabu, Jul 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (269) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

Pickup up cans last night, and enjoyed a lovely dinner there.

I was going to post about the next bottle release coming out... but looks like they posted it on Instagram a few hours ago. When is everyone going to line up for M3 on thursday? haha.

2. Majikow

Majikow Disciple (359) Nov 21, 2015 California
    Society Trader

Gotta wonder how many cases they'll be selling on Thursday. Can't imagine it's much. People are going to be lining up at Liberty Station the day before or something ridiculous.

I'd like to try the Makaveli and 95 til, but I may wait til later that day and hope the kegs last, cause this is sounding like a guaranteed shitshow.

3. SDReaper

SDReaper Defender (659) Aug 15, 2013 California
    Trader

You should, they are quite #delightful

Don't sleep on the Cafe Dino and Old Money though. Also good stuff.

4. Majikow

Society Trader

Is 95 til a version of what they had at the Bruery Anniversary or a totally different beer?

5. SDReaper

Trader

Different beer. Likely the same imperial stout base but then different adjuncts and barrels. The one at Bruery anniversary was aged in that pappy barrel #4.

Majikow likes this.
  6. Blackmill

Blackmill Initiate (48) Jan 18, 2017 California

If it's any ones first time to Liberty Station, I recommend trying the Mastiff sausages, especially the smoked andouille, hot Italian, and Bratwurst. Their stand is just outside the Bottlecraft store entrance.

Do you think this being at Liberty Station will increase the line?

It's a nice place to hang out with all the cool stores, so arriving early is pretty appealing, compared to just standing in a parking lot like if it were happening at the taproom.

7. Majikow

Society Trader

I don't know what to expect down there tomorrow, but considering that hype hype, I should probably be expecting a shit show.

I'd really like to grab a bottle of AOTL since I missed out, but I don't know that it's worth trying to figure out what time I'd have to get there plus the time in line.

8. SDReaper

Trader

I wouldn't be too concerned about the crowd.

9. Majikow

Society Trader

From your lips to God's ears. I figured with M3 bottles being released it was going to be a circus, and then there's everything on tap, or maybe the hype isn't that real and it's all in my head. Fingers crossed.

10. joecool0909

joecool0909 Initiate (84) Feb 24, 2015 Missouri
    Trader

Honestly, most of abnormal's events(releases, parties, special drafts) at the brewery have been pretty reasonable hype-wise. Maybe thats cause RB is out of the way for a lot of folks, who knows?

I'm hoping tomorrow wont be too crazy, but im not holding my breath. Just excited to try 95 and makaveli.

11. SDReaper

Trader

They are both #delightful beers. Not sure why ppl are overlooking Cafe Dino though. Guessing blood orange in an imperial porter scares them.

12. joecool0909

Trader

Don't get me wrong I'm going to try it while I'm there, but if I can only have 2 pours that's not going to be one of them. Partially because I'm rarely a fan of fruited stouts/porters and partially because I'm still bitter about being told Hugs and Kisses had "strawberries" in it and was "very limited" lol.

SDReaper likes this.
  13. Majikow

Society Trader

Just picked up a can of that Old Money. Solid stuff. Why don't more people make Rye IPAs?

They've got cans at Bottlecraft (along with a few other stores) of Old Money and Turbidity if anyone is looking.

14. BarrelAgedSpartan

BarrelAgedSpartan Initiate (54) Jul 26, 2014 California

Kegs getting tapped at 6pm so maybe people will still be stuck in traffic lol.

Need more AOTL in my face. Hope i can land one, or even just drink some with people.

15. SDReaper

Trader

I'm actually considering bringing down my last bottle and sharing it with ppl.

Majikow likes this.
  16. jb3304

jb3304 Aspirant (249) Mar 29, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Sorry not from around the area. Is bottle sharing allowed there?

17. SDReaper

Trader

Bottle sharing is allowed there, however the beertenders have to open and pour it and there is a corkage fee. You know, the usual so that they can keep track of sobriety levels and determine if you should be cut off..blah blah blah

jb3304 likes this.
  18. SDReaper

Trader

This was a small fun share

joecool0909 likes this.
  19. joecool0909

Trader

Popped over to modern times for maple BAMP and Vanilla BAMP. Thinking of heading back for one more go at 95 til' and to check my raffle tickets how's the lines looking?

20. Yabu

Yabu Aspirant (269) Feb 4, 2015 California
    Trader

The maple BAMP sounds tasty!

How was the vanilla BAMP on draft? Only tried it from the bottle, and it was disappointing.

21. Serna714

Serna714 Initiate (124) Dec 12, 2014 California
    Trader

So how did the Bottlecraft event go last night? How good is Makaveli?

22. ayearetee

ayearetee Initiate (0) Nov 23, 2016 California

I've had BAMP w/ Vanilla on draft - smooth, but the vanilla is almost synthetic. 4/5

micahburns and Yabu like this.
  23. Majikow

Society Trader

Did any of the stouts not kick last night? Looked like a shit show on Facebook and I was already too full of beer and BBQ from Grand Ole to make the trip. Wanted to try 95 til and Makaveli though.

24. SDReaper

Trader

makaveli kicked around 7pm or so, and 95 til kicked about 30minutes later.

25. Majikow

Society Trader

Sheezus. That didn't take long. You get to try both?

Any idea how many bottles they actually had for sale? Sounds like people lined up at 4 PM.

26. SDReaper

Trader

I was able to try both before this event, however the Makaveli I had was pre-coffee addition. So having it last night I got to finally have the finished product. This borders on Big Poppa b1 levels of tasty and completely blows big poppa b2 out of the water.

I skipped on 95 till since I wasn't really drinking that much, and again, had it already.

Yes if you weren't there by 4:30 or so bottles weren't going to happen as numbered tickets were handed out. They were working the bar and pours two-fold with Ian covering the line at front and Lance going through the tickets in order selling bottles (1pp), cans, and pours and then moving to the next person in line.

Total bottles were 36, 12each of M3, Goodbye Tomorrow, and All of the Lights. 33 tickets were handed out and only 33 bottles were sold. They kept 1 of each to raffle off at the end to give those a chance that didn't get a ticket early a shot. Pretty solid way of doing it imo. I had my ticket but let a buddy use it for a bottle...I just used it for my place in line to get pours.

Majikow and Serna714 like this.
  27. Majikow

Society Trader

Yeah, that seems like a pretty reasonable way to handle that. Was wondering how the event would turn out since I've never seen a crush of people like that at Liberty Station before.

SDReaper likes this.
  28. SDReaper

Trader

I think this was one of their larger crowds for a release. With how it was handled, and of course the manager watching it unfold, I am hoping that they get the go-ahead to do it more often.

29. SDReaper

Trader

| PREVIEW NIGHT |
    ⠀⠀⠀
    Join us at The Cork and Craft Wednesday August 2nd at 4pm as we preview a few new beers that will be destined for bottles. We will be tapping a sixtel each of Cafe Dino, Makaveli, and 95 'Til Infinity and serving 5 ounce pours until the keg runs out. Bottle release dates are yet to be determined. Descriptions are below...
    ⠀⠀⠀
    [​IMG]"Cafe Dino" 10.7% Imperial Milk Porter made with Cinnamon, Espresso, and Blood Oranges. ⠀⠀⠀
    [​IMG]"Makaveli" 10.8% Imperial Stout with Vanilla, Coconut, and Coffee. This is a collaboration with J. Wakefield, Mostra Coffee, and Illest. ⠀⠀⠀
    [​IMG]"95 'Til Infinity" 11% Rye Barrel Aged Imperial Stout with Cinnamon and Cacao Nibs

|| We will also have archive bottles available for purchase when the event starts. Quantities are limited. See you there.

Serna714 and Majikow like this.
  30. Majikow

Society Trader

Dammit. I actually kinda wish (selfishly) that they didn't have bottles for sale because that's going to guarantee a circus, yeah?

What time will line up be for the event you think?

31. SDReaper

Trader

That is a very good question. I normally only go on Wednesdays for lunch (assuming I am in the area) for a boss pour and some wings..extra crispy.

Middle of the week and the earlier start time though, if I am going to cruise up it would be later like around 6:30 - 7 where I almost guarantee the beers will be kicked by then. Silly work getting in the way.

I would guess, get there at 2pm and that will probably guarantee a bottle. Then just hang out at the bar, snag a seat since that bar area gets warm when you have to stand the entire time. When that happens I almost pray that I have to break the seal since the bathrooms are air-conditioned, hehehe.

Majikow likes this.
  32. joecool0909

Trader

There's 30 people here. Not even 2 deep at the bar. I love this place.

33. Majikow

Society Trader

Bottles sold out already?

34. joecool0909

Trader

Nope walked right up and grabbed M3.

35. Majikow

Society Trader

Wow. Nice, and congrats. I was thinking about going up but worried there'd be a line and a swarm after the Bottlecraft event.

36. joecool0909

Trader

It's about as busy as bottlecraft was at 3:30 last Thursday.

SDReaper likes this.
  37. Zhiguli

Zhiguli Initiate (158) Jul 12, 2012 California

had a really awesome dinner visit there on Sunday.. food was top notch.. kind of surprised me as I was just expecting good beer and decent wine.. pics

38. Majikow

Society Trader

Yeah the food there is proper. Probably one of the best spots if you want great food and great beer. I just wish it were closer to SD proper.

joecool0909 likes this.
  39. UnknownKoger

UnknownKoger Zealot (551) Jul 9, 2010 California

cracked open my last All of the Lights a few days ago. Really hope they rebrew that beer

40. joecool0909

Trader

If you haven't had the tater tot poutine you haven't truly lived.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.