Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Abyss in Texas

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Smithrob9999, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clonies720

Clonies720 Oct 24, 2012 Texas

Give me a shout when that happens...

2. Clonies720

Clonies720 Oct 24, 2012 Texas

And I have some big business to give...

3. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Nov 7, 2011 Texas

Specs in Temple got a case today, it was sold out at exactly 6:22pm. Also, the Dancing Bear in Waco got them, but they are charging $22.99 per bottle.

4. HoustonZ33

HoustonZ33 Sep 10, 2012 Texas

Well I be damned, so there is still hope?! lol

mmireles, UHCougar12 and icetrauma like this.
  5. mmireles

mmireles May 18, 2005 Texas

lol... i'm almost the exact opposite. I'd rather just be lied to than someone tell me they have it in stock but it's reserved for other customers or i'm not on the special list, especially when there's no money down on it and i'm a customer ready to buy it right then and there. guess that's the retail management side of me...

blatherbeard likes this.
  6. HoustonZ33

Add me to the "Just Keep It Real" camp. Don't tell me it's "sold out" or you don't have any when I just saw someone walk out with a bottle - Just tell me "That's one of my regulars man, He helps keep this place afloat, I'm sorry"

Happened to me with BuffBayou Gingerbread Stout last week, I called a joint and he laughed when I asked if they had it then 2 hrs later a friend of mine, Someone in the cool kids club I guess lol - Walks out with 2 bottles, one for me and one for him........I'm having flashbacks of BB1 now lol

BeanBone likes this.
  7. mattchow

mattchow Jun 24, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

@mmireles this isnt directed at you, i just hit quote and got on my soapbox lol.

I can't understand why HEB and WFM holds beer in the back. Most of the employees from my experience have no fxcking clue what they have back there or what it really is/means to beer people. As I've said in a prior post, you have to track down a person who asks another person in hopes of finding a beer manager or someone that knows where the beer manager hid the special release beers. I haven't built a relationship with anyone at WFM or HEB because I can't find someone worth building a relationship with.

Spec's in past and recent releases has placed signs indicating they have a certain beer, and to ask personnel if they have some in the back. Of course, as with special releases, chances are we know they *should* have it and request it as long as they are willing to hand it over. I've built some rapport with past employees at downtown specs to the point where he randomly found me in line and asked if i wanted a 'sold out" bottle of black ops.

With my experience at D&Q, he's a small shop owner and will take care of people that frequent the shop. When I say frequent the shop, I mean people that go there on a regular basis and shop and support on beer in general, not just special releases. Ive brought over a number of people and introduced them to D&Q and Brandon and he's taken care of my friends and I every single time. It helps that he has twitter and is active on it and when he tweets, people ask if he can hold one for them, and chances are he will, unless it's like Abyss and he gets a case of it. Even then he'll give you a heads up and say it'll be here soon.

Build relationships through purchases and personality, otherwise, whine about it the next day to a group of people that could care less because they are trying to get what you want a fraction of a second before you can.

Clonies720, BeanBone and H0rnedFr0gs like this.
  8. mymasterpiece75

mymasterpiece75 Jan 7, 2010 Texas

Gotta say--Texas beer culture is fucked. If D&Q is the model of a good bottle shop, my god. That place is mobbed with old inventory.

I hope that Premium Draught and Growlers start to provide some leadership on releases. Start lists. That is the only thing I've ever seen work.

gottabetweed and canadianghetto like this.
  9. mattchow

Beer Trader

we can only hope competition will drive the market into a place that will be the best for the consumer.

lists? they only work if you're on it. if you're not, you're fucked and now have new angry customers, but i suppose you can open a beer shop and show houston what an ideal bottle shop is.

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  10. HoustonZ33

To be honest, I don't know what's worse... cronyism or a list.

rainerschuhsler likes this.
  11. mattchow

Beer Trader

depends if youre on the list or not lol.

12. mymasterpiece75

You are totally right about competition.

Nothing is perfect. But at least I know I'm in a pecking order if I get on a list, and then I just wait for a phone call. I don't have to drive around tracking the shit down.

And I referenced Premium Draught and Growlers because I think they're fucking awesome so far--places I would have indeed liked to open.

But I was being harsh about TX beer culture, sorry about that.

13. HoustonZ33

Or one of the "regulars" lol

14. mmireles

or if you happen to be at a store when the store manager is there, rather than the beer manager (which is the ONLY reason i was able to get a bottle of abyss)...

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  15. RunTomRun

RunTomRun Feb 6, 2013 Texas

Beer Manager of HEB at Dunlavy has been in touch with me for > 1 week, so I image we should be good on Abyss. Painful part was talking to beer delivery guy who said "Yeah, I GOT Abyss ready to deliver...." while the waiting game began. Manager had NO CLUE what was coming on her delivery. (read: the retail buyers and merchandisers DON''T communicate/market as one company) Perhaps this is why I prefer D&Q.

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  16. HoustonZ33

I had to do that for the last bomber of DR12 at Central Market, Seems like it was yesterday...

17. mattchow

Beer Trader

indeed, nothing is perfect, but i'd rather not wait for something to happen, i'd like to make it happen myself to a certain extent. what if you're on a list, and you're #13 on a list for abyss, and that case only has 12 bottles? do you have a reasonable expectation that they would call you and tell you that you're shit outta luck? At least IMO, being on a list dosent create loyalty on either side, you're just a number.

I haven't been to Premium Draught or Growlers yet since I live in Katy. I'll make a trip out there this week to check out how they compare to d&q.

If you being harsh means i have one less person to move aside at d&q so be it ;)

18. HoustonZ33

Sounds like what I'm going through w/ Central Market. They were supposed to have this in on Monday however they are dumbfounded as to where it is. Same story with a few Kroger's as well.

19. mmireles

haha, i have my special place for any saint arnold releases..... a place where DR and Pumpkinator never gets touched....

Clonies720 and HoustonZ33 like this.
  20. RunTomRun

Get to da Choppa! Go, NOW! (how I sometimes feel at beer releases...)

HoustonZ33 likes this.
  21. HoustonZ33

I have 2 spots as well but they don't get the "really" special stuff but anything St. Arnold/Karbach and I don't even have to hunt - I just get a phone call.

The really special stuff like BuffBayou (and Apparently Abyss damn it!!!!!) I'm out on the hunt lol

22. mattchow

Beer Trader

if im one of the regulars, i can still get on the "list". if you're on the list, you're probably not one of the regulars lol. if you're one of the regulars, no fucks are given about being on the "list"

dont know where cronyism exactly applies here, maybe favoritism is a better word to use here.

23. mymasterpiece75

If you're #13, you didn't get your name on the list in time. It's somewhat of a chicken-and-egg thing--except those of us who work 9-5 aren't out of luck from mid-morning releases. At least we had a chance.

I'm not saying that Premium Draught or Growlers will handle releases any better than anyone else. I'm just saying that they show an amazing amount of respect and advocacy for good beer, and I hope that they use lists for releases. If they don't, I'll still frequent them because of their quality.

You're right, you don't have to worry about moving me past months-old SN Beer Camp twelvers at D&Q. I won't be there. That place is a holy mess.

24. mattchow

Beer Trader

only way to truly handle a list is a lottery system, which still means a lot of people are SOL. when's the last time you went to d&q? he reorganized not too long ago. organized chaos if you will lol, i've never had a problem finding beers.

BeanBone and icetrauma like this.
  25. HoustonZ33

If anybody is willing to part with an extra bottle of Abyss (lol) let me know.

I have some SA, Founder's, etc. I'm willing to part with. Might even see to it you get a Founder's Curmudgeon or KBS for being so damned awesome.

I have a list of goodies I'm willing to part with, BM me for details.

26. RunTomRun

HoustonZ33, Very kind of you to offer, and definitely an attitude I enjoy within the beer community. As fickle as we may sometimes become when whale hunting, I like to remember sharing is a part of the enjoyment.

mmireles likes this.
  27. mymasterpiece75

People will be SOL no matter. A lottery system is actually a good idea. I don't know. I've just had good experience with lists.

I was in D&Q about two weeks ago. Do check out the new shops. I think you'll dig. They're different than D&Q, for sure--less selection--but the growlers and the atmosphere make up for it.

28. jbeezification

jbeezification Jun 6, 2012 Texas

A lottery system is the stupidest idea ever. Literally, Hitler had better ideas.

Make relationships with your beer person and you will get the beer you want. Take care of them and they will take care of you.

29. kmello69

kmello69 Nov 27, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

The reality is that this beer hunting game we all play keeps getting bigger and bigger, which just means more and more people getting butt hurt about not getting something they want.

When a store gets 12 bottles of something, no matter how well you know the beer guy, the reality is that only 12 people are getting a bottle, and everyone else is getting locked out on it. Maybe you'll be lucky enough to be one of the chosen 12, but its likely that 50 people think they have an "in" with the beer guy, but still only 12 bottles.

I'm at the point now where I've given up the chase. I used to be willing to drive all over town trying to figure out when stuff would drop, but its mentally and physically exhausting. Now I'm happy to get what I get, and then trade for anything else I want, because I just see this situation getting worse and worse every year.

cfh64, BK1017, icetrauma and 2 others like this.
  30. mattisloco

mattisloco Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Something Lonestar in Carrollton did was a raffle. They got 12 bottles and roughly 100 people signed up for it via facebook. I love this idea because the "hunt/chase" is getting old to me also. I hope more beer stores begin to do things like this. Places need to take care of their regulars but also reserve an allotment for creative ways to to get new regulars.

BK1017 likes this.
  31. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Mar 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

As long as its not new "friends" signing up I could be cool with this idea but I much prefer a first come first served business. And I also understand what Matt said a few posts back about how to build a relationship. Literally every store I frequent I know the names of most of the employees and/or make it a point to smile and be friendly with them. This means I rarely walk in and out of a store and can be a 30 minute conversation at times.

Really this beer wasn't that hard to find if you were willing to drive around a bit. Most places had limits and enforced them well. That said at two places I obtained bottles from I got the last 'non reserved' bottles and I jumped thru hoops during lunch to get them..so I may be singing a different tune had things worked out slightly differently

32. BeanBone

BeanBone Oct 12, 2006 Texas

Careful now boy, you spout off that kind of talk 'round here and you're bound to get a whole bunch of whining about how unfair that is from a bunch of entitled, socially awkward neckbeards that aren't "in the club"...

canadianghetto likes this.
  33. BK1017

BK1017 Nov 9, 2009 Texas

Totally agree, although it's a good problem to have as our emerging beer scene expands. Overall, the state as a whole is seeing new breweries and more limited releases, so that's a good thing. I think as the years pass and these super limited releases are more consistent, the hype will die down. Also at a national level, craft beer is growing like gangbusters and I think many breweries are struggling to keep distribution demands from new markets.

Piss on driving on all over town though. Especially in Austin traffic, forget it. Trading is super easy and there are so many people out there that are willing to accommodate your needs. I've gotten great stuff (BA Raspy, MoAS, Cascade sours, etc...) for our regular releases.

/off topic

Abyss is good
    /on topic

BK

34. H0rnedFr0gs

H0rnedFr0gs Mar 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Beards are out and women are in. Trust me, this change is good.

mmireles likes this.
  35. kenihrig

kenihrig Apr 19, 2008 Texas

It has been getting a lot worse over the last couple of years. If TABC would just get out the way and let us ship beer to Texas then that would improve things. I only got one bottle of Dissident locally after spending hours looking. Then I found a store online in about 30 minutes that sold me 6 bottles. Unfortuately when they saw I lived in Texas I got the "I'm sorry but we can't ship to you" email.

BK1017 and omnigrits like this.
  36. mattchow

Beer Trader

I'm throwing out ideas for places like HEB and WFM, who in my eyes should be worried about sales in a first come first served setup. While you might have a "relationship" with your WFM or HEB guy, he'll get trumped every single time you try to find a higher up because you aren't on the list.

Hitler? :facepalm:

37. HoustonZ33

And on that note, I just got a phone call that my Abyss is in! :)

Start hunting folks because I'm sure this is the last of it - Everybody that was supposed to get it Monday, Has it today.

UHCougar12 likes this.
  38. pattermj

pattermj May 31, 2008 Virginia

Just got my first order in. Much better than dealing with driving around to places not having it. Good luck to everyone. Splitting with fellow BAs/friends who also were unable to get in TX. 6 this order, 8 the next :)[​IMG]

39. HoustonZ33

Let the butthurt and cries of "hording" begin!!!

lol

40. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

I have some descent trading partners, but honestly, not much from Texas will pull that kind of stuff. And sadly that which will, is usually too hard to get anyways. Limited Jester King and Karbach Barrel beers are about it and they are only marginally easier to get than Abyss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe