Dismiss Notice
We're celebrating 10 years of BeerAdvocate magazine with $10 print subscriptions for US residents.

Subscribe now!

Abyss in Texas

Discussion in 'Southwest' started by Smithrob9999, Nov 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. starkmarvelo

starkmarvelo Jan 20, 2010 Texas
    Beer Trader

Sometimes I feel like Indiana Jones chasing these beers.

Exiled likes this.
  2. BrutalSusan

BrutalSusan Dec 13, 2011 Texas
    Beer Trader

i just won said beer game. thanks to a tip i received via BM. now i will pass it on. there may or may not be three bottles left at the manchaca/slaughter HEB! i got a couple and left three. they have no concern for the idea of limitations. something is wrong here. the distributor should know better.

3. starkmarvelo

Beer Trader

Has anyone else thought of hiding a beer behind some other beers and then posting it here on BA? Or is that just fucked up?

4. jbeezification

jbeezification Jun 6, 2012 Texas

With the amount of lurkers on BA, that would do no good. Just buy it, I would rather see a good BA get the beer than all the lurkers.

5. starkmarvelo

Beer Trader

I figured. The thought crossed my mind, but hardly anyone goes to the same bottle shops as me.

6. jmdarcy

jmdarcy Jul 15, 2010 Connecticut
    Subscriber Beer Trader

Ha, that brings up a great conversation. Why would the distributor care about who gets the beer? It's not their product and they already made their money. It's too bad for the breweries because in the end they would love everyone to get a fair share of their product and they are usually blamed when people don't.

7. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Apr 30, 2011 Texas

The distributor has nothing to do with how stores display/limit beer. Usually a store without limitations on limited releases mean they don't have a craft beer guy working in their beer/wine dept. This is common for HEBs and other grocery stores and drug stores. The reps may talk to the stores about this stuff, but they don't have to follow advice,it is a headache managing limited beers I can only imagine.

8. ThirdEyePA

ThirdEyePA Nov 7, 2011 Texas

I was in the Round Rock specs a few days ago and saw a bottle of Rumpkin stashed behind some bottles of Sierra Nevada. And that's exactly what ran through my mind. Is that someone stashed it there to keep it out of sight for someone else.

9. lokieman

lokieman Jan 20, 2011 Oklahoma

Or the beer guy just likes to have some fun...

ThirdEyePA likes this.
  10. starkmarvelo

Beer Trader

I love the feeling of discovery :)

ThirdEyePA likes this.
  11. jbeezification

jbeezification Jun 6, 2012 Texas

I found $40 in a jacket I hadn't worn since last year.

cfh64 and starkmarvelo like this.
  12. mindswoop

mindswoop Dec 22, 2011 Texas

CM N. Lamar had it yesterday. There was a Dissident box next to the Abyss box it was grabbed from...perhaps there were bottles in it as well.

13. Chuk_Hell

Chuk_Hell Apr 12, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

CM Westgate got a 2 case allotment yesterday that was gone in less than 24 hours. Last year the allotment was 4 cases. I didn't post it here but did send a tweet out.

Seems DeSchutes (or Capital) wanted to spread it out as thin as possible. I'm happy places like Live Oak got some but I'm scratching my head about HEB Slaughter/Mancahca getting it. HEB Hancock and HEB Escarpment sure but Manchaca/Slaughter? They should have sent that to Westgate IMO.... BUT, I'm happy Susan was able to find some.

Bottle limits can be a double edged sword but overall I think they help keep things fair when it comes to these very allocattted releases.

14. Lutter

Lutter Jun 30, 2010 Texas

It's on the shelf at HEB in Bee Caves... although a little less so now. :)

15. mattchow

mattchow Jun 24, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

how much is dissident and abyss?

16. Lutter

I paid $13.99 for both in Austin.

MEsquandoles likes this.
  17. jacobbocce72

jacobbocce72 Dec 18, 2011 Texas

Man... they were supposed to call me! Wonder if they will still have a bottle if I show up first thing Monday...?

18. Clonies720

Clonies720 Oct 24, 2012 Texas

Until I bring my dad, my best friend, and a homeless man I paid $2. Ba dump tiss.

I'll see myself out.

19. starkmarvelo

Beer Trader

I wouldn't risk it.

20. Danielbt

Danielbt May 4, 2012 Texas

The HEB at McNeil/Parmer got a case. No limit. I left some for y'all, but hurry.

The beer guy said the CBC rep told him that Austin got 31 cases total.

21. jacobbocce72

Just got here... No luck...

22. desputingrasputin

desputingrasputin Oct 13, 2012 Texas

Was pouring at The Draught House as of a couple hours ago. Great stuff.

lokieman likes this.
  23. mmireles

mmireles May 18, 2005 Texas

Any idea when this stuff will be hitting the Houston area? Even the people at Specs don't seem to know...

24. jacobbocce72

I left one :)

25. HopAG

HopAG Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Spoke to Brandon at the D&Q and he had no idea on an eta

26. icetrauma

icetrauma Sep 7, 2004 Texas

Correct answer is next week. :D

27. ThirdEyePA

Have there been any Dallas sightings?

28. mattchow

mattchow Jun 24, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

Haven't seen any new deschutes bombers in a while, trading for some just in case lol

29. mattisloco

mattisloco Feb 13, 2007 Texas
    Beer Trader

Last week of the month.

ThirdEyePA likes this.
  30. ThirdEyePA

Thanks man, I thought they hadn't gotten it yet. Once Dallas gets it, a case might trickle down here to Waco since they share distribution.

31. mmireles

mmireles May 18, 2005 Texas

Yeah, it's weird Austin has gotten some.... yet Dallas and Houston haven't.

32. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aug 10, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

This is the second release I was looking forward to that seems to be much more limited than last year. Last year Abyss and Lukcy Bastard were all over the place and I never found either.

33. lokieman

lokieman Jan 20, 2011 Oklahoma

I can tell you where some Lukcy is right now if you're still looking...

34. xpimptastikx

xpimptastikx Oct 8, 2008 Texas

For reals?! I live 2 blocks from that HEB and it's had pretty shitty distribution up until about a month ago. Where were the bottles?

35. Wingfan13

Wingfan13 Aug 10, 2009 Texas
    Beer Trader

Really ? I have been to 3 Specs, 2 Whole Foods and 2 Twin Liquors in the last 3 days looking for both and I have come up empty. Let me know. Thanks

36. Lutter

South Lamar Wine and Spirits had Lucky Batsrad some last time I was there in the cooler.

37. LadyOfMuchBeer

LadyOfMuchBeer Apr 30, 2011 Texas

I have officially lost all my hair waiting on this beer....

38. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

And sadly it's not best for about a year. Even when we get it, we should sit on it. lol

dumptruck81 and mattisloco like this.
  39. HopAG

HopAG Sep 22, 2012 Texas
    Beer Trader

I don't understand how it could possibly be delayed for this long...

40. DanzBorin

DanzBorin Apr 11, 2012 Texas

Distributors.

I mean Austin already sold out of it and yet DFW and Houston haven't seen hide nor hair. I can't think of any other reason for the delay.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  • About Us

Your go-to website for beer (since 1996), publishers of BeerAdvocate magazine (since 2006) and hosts of world-class beer events (since 2003). Respect Beer.
  • Extreme Beer FestĀ® Cometh

February 3-4, 2017. Boston, Mass. Limited tickets available. Prepare for epicness.

Learn More
  • 10 Years of BeerAdvocate Magazine

We're celebrating 10 years of BA mag with $10 print subscriptions for US residents!

Subscribe