addicted to buying beer...

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mj81, Oct 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BBThunderbolt

BBThunderbolt Poo-Bah (9,997) Sep 24, 2007 Kiribati
    Society Trader

Too bad there's no beer lovers near where you live to share with.

Kurmaraja, cavedave and draheim like this.
  2. ironchefmiyagi13

ironchefmiyagi13 Initiate (0) Jan 9, 2013 Tennessee

When I find myself spending more time on the ISO/FT forum than others spend on Facebook / Twitter speaks volumes. Oh and in the last 2 days I have bought 2 glasses online, 12 total beers from the store and set up 4 trades...

Hi, my name's Kirby and I have a problem

*everyone at once* "Hi Kirby"

MikeWard, Spikester, funhog and 6 others like this.
  3. More_Cowbell

More_Cowbell Initiate (0) Jul 19, 2013 Washington

Guilty. Gives an excuse to have friends over for a beer tasting night too clear out some of the inventory.

creepinjeeper likes this.
  4. Dracarys

Dracarys Initiate (0) May 28, 2013 Alabama

Nope. I buy it then drink it then buy some more. Hoarding is weird to me.

5. dianimal

dianimal Aspirant (236) Apr 18, 2012 California

I love buying beer. I can't explain it. I have far less than you, OP, but still about 40-50 that aren't going anywhere anytime soon. Most of my inventory are "ageable" brews; we take care of the "quick-to-spoil" beers as soon as we can.:sunglasses:

6. jds8411

jds8411 Initiate (0) Oct 12, 2008 California

I find myself buying beer every week now that I'm back to working full-time. It's usually only a six pack and a bomber each time I buy beer. I grabbed a beer tonight and thought 12 beers left in the fridge was too little. Going to stop at Total Wine after work tomorrow to stock up.

wr3ck00n and creepinjeeper like this.
  7. regularjohn

regularjohn Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 New Jersey

its pretty redonkulous how fun this hobby is

8. jdrum

jdrum Initiate (0) Oct 4, 2010 Illinois

yeah i had that prob. early on, had more than 300 bottles including bombers and 750's. have about a case of varied beers now, i have no friends into beer. alas i had to pleasure myself many times, that didnt sound right

9. RLL_CBO

RLL_CBO Initiate (0) Oct 6, 2013 Massachusetts

Seriously, these days I don't feel like my week is complete unless I walk into one of my local shops and pick up some bottles of fine craft brew.

LeeMarvin, dianimal and creepinjeeper like this.
  10. GameFreac

GameFreac Disciple (335) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia

I just like going to stores and looking around. Sometimes I know I won't buy anything and still like to just go in stores and look for 30 mins-an hour then walk out with nothing. I'm strong...I can do it.

jdrum, Jsteez, alex_hart and 2 others like this.
  11. CORKSCREWFISH

CORKSCREWFISH Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2011 Illinois

Yeah,I'm screwed too....always buy cellerable stuff to put in my cellar.......but its built too and I can't stop. Trying to only buy 2 of anything good as opposed to the 3-4 I've always felt compelled to buy is the first baby step I'm taking.......gotta stop!

12. Dope

Dope Poo-Bah (3,039) Oct 5, 2010 Massachusetts
    Society

Common problem. I ended up with over 1000 UNIQUE brews. That was 2.5 years ago. I decided to drink at least one every day, no matter how special, how whale-status, how expensive, whatever. Now I have 5. Just takes dedication and a healthy liver. Check my reviews if you don't believe me. I think I have over 1200 since May of 2011.

Oddly enough I've lost over 93lbs in doing so. Maybe I should eat something eventually?

Dope

Beer4B, corbenlee, jdrum and 9 others like this.
  13. jdmandel

jdmandel Initiate (0) Aug 13, 2011 California

This thread makes me feel more comfortable with my "addiction" as well. I'm always getting excited, whether traveling or visiting the local liquor when I get to have that "hey! I've beer looking for that" moment.

I'm at around 150 bottles now and like others have mentioned, I love using it as an excuse to have friends over and share the experience of new and interesting. Such a great (expensive) hobby!

14. TheBeerDad

TheBeerDad Initiate (0) Sep 6, 2012 Michigan

Its called singles, buy one or two, not a six pack

15. mj81

mj81 Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2013 New Jersey

I do but then if I really like the beer I usually go back and buy a 4 pk. Sometimes in Nj, some brews are hard to get so it's either get them when you see then or it's gone. Bombers are what really kill me cause it's the same thing. Usually get 2 of a limited release but the first bomber lasts for a day or two pushing back the consumption of the other 12 oz and then the next bomber sits as you wind up picking yet another new brew.

16. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,105) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I have fairly successfully broken the addiction of buying and having too many beers in cellar. Was over 400 at one point. Down to near 100 now, with the help of friends.

17. Jsteez

Jsteez Zealot (568) Apr 28, 2012 Utah

Holy shit. Is this conversation for real? For a few years now I started this habit of going to the store and buying a couple of beers at a time. My wife wonders why I don't buy sixers. I am not as into the buzz(although that comes as a bonus:wink:) as much as the act of buying a new brew to savor. Once I drink one and leave the others in the fridge, I want to save the bottlesi didn't drink and go buy some different brews to try. Now that i know there are others like me out there, I won't feel guilty any longer. Cheers to new brews!

jdmandel and creepinjeeper like this.
  18. Sam_C

Sam_C Initiate (0) Apr 28, 2013 Georgia

200 beers sounds like a good time! I was tired of hearing about how the beer was crowding the fridge so instead of buying less, I got a beer fridge. I make frequent trips to the shed now...

DCH, Paccamacca and creepinjeeper like this.
  19. FEUO

FEUO Initiate (0) Jul 24, 2012 Canada (ON)

All too familiar.
    Toward the end of the summer I told myself I'd start drinking down my cellar. That worked for all of 7 days. Cellar back near capacity, beer fridge full. FML (f my liver).

20. VitoFerrante

VitoFerrante Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2012 Pennsylvania

Who can deny a few bottles of Warlock on the shelf or a sixer of Sucks when you know it will be gone for another year! You don't have a problem, you have a hobby that happens to get you loaded!

prock180 and creepinjeeper like this.
  21. Lutter

Lutter Zealot (578) Jun 30, 2010 Texas
    Deactivated

You belong in Houston, Texas... where apparently 100% of the craft beer drinkers have this issue. Rapidly spreading due northwest to Austin. Ack!

HopAG and creepinjeeper like this.
  22. tmm313

tmm313 Initiate (0) Nov 6, 2011 Georgia

There are many times I walk into a store thinking, "You don't need more beer.. You don't need more beer.. You don't need more beer.." But its worse when I'm sitting home bored out of my mind and knowing that the immediate remedy would be a run to the beer store.

Jsteez, alex_hart, Terrapin8 and 2 others like this.
  23. ThirstyFace

ThirstyFace Initiate (0) Jan 11, 2013 New York

I buy 3-4 six/four packs a week. I drink about 14 beers a week. So purchase more than I drink.

24. maDUECEgunner

maDUECEgunner Initiate (0) May 23, 2013 Minnesota

I need a new job so the liquor store isn't on my way home...
    As soon as I walk in, the guy behind the counter is telling me about all the new stuff in.

25. mikefuski17

mikefuski17 Initiate (0) Jul 25, 2013 Oregon

If I made more money, I would have a nice stock pile. I agree with everyone on the thread that buying new beers can be a massive rush. I only drink a few on weekends and my apartment is too small to really store anything anywhere. Some day, I'll have an extensive inventory.

26. BlueRogue

BlueRogue Initiate (0) May 1, 2011 Maine

It seems like every week there is something new showing up that I want to try. It also doesn't help that seasonal stuff starts showing up way too soon.

My girlfriend always complains how there's no room in the fridge for food. I actually put a pretty big dent in the amount of beer in there last month, but then I ended up going to NH and MA two weeks in a row and came back with a bunch of stuff I can't get here; and FBS shows up here and I had to have a case of that. So I'm right back to a full fridge.

BeerKangaroo and creepinjeeper like this.
  27. TequilaSauer

TequilaSauer Initiate (0) Dec 31, 2006 Florida

I'm taking a break right now until my tennis league season is over, so I probably won't touch a beer for another 3 months and I'm still buying beers all the time. Stuff that can age, of course. So, even without consuming the beers themselves for the time being, I'm still addicted to buying them.

28. Greenplastic615

Greenplastic615 Disciple (312) Nov 4, 2008 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yes and no. I'm pretty conscious of not buying a ton of IPAs or things where freshness really matters all at once. That said, I do overbuy things that age well (stouts, sours, barleywines, etc.) for the cellar, and I end up with a whole bunch of boxes full of stuff that I would never open myself. So, I try to bring bottles to as many tastings as I can, but even so, I buy faster than I consume, and I'm running out of space.

...an obvious solution is a blow-out tasting event over the holidays of course. Which is definitely happening :slight_smile:

29. Sam_Frank

Sam_Frank Initiate (0) Nov 29, 2012 California

i was really bad for a while. lately i'm trying to drink down my "cellar". which is easier now that i'm more in the mood for imp stouts, barleywines. if i had a genuine cellar or good basement i wouldn't feel as bad hoarding beer, but i don't want my stash to get too much bigger than it is

i have this idea of getting back to a completely slate again and then just buying beer as i want to drink it. pipe dream?

creepinjeeper and musicman7070 like this.
  30. TheGator321

TheGator321 Initiate (0) May 29, 2013 Connecticut

I used to cellar stuff but after years of drinking craft beer I prefer to drink and procure fresh beer.

31. papaholmz

papaholmz Initiate (53) Nov 7, 2012 South Carolina

I also have 200+ bottles in my beer cellar. I have stopped buying beer and started drinking what I have. At first I was going to age it all, then I realized I had a lot of awesome beer just sitting there. I decided to start drinking it instead.

jdrum and creepinjeeper like this.
  32. ratmoss

ratmoss Initiate (0) Sep 11, 2005 Illinois

I don't think of this as a problem, more of a hobby. Some friends have woodworking shops in their basement or auto shops in their garage. I have a beer cellar. What's wrong with that? Embrace it.

33. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Disciple (377) Oct 19, 2006 Indiana
    Trader

500+. I don't hoard. I just buy more than I can drink. It doesn't take long to build up. If you buy just one more beer than you drink every week, in five years you have 260 beers in storage. Quarterly tastings with friends doesn't seem to reduce the inventory - everyone wants to drink the high ABV bombers/750's. No problem there, but how many bombers of 10%+ ABV beers can 4-5 guys finish in an evening? Maybe 10?

It is a first world problem, for sure.

mrotstein and creepinjeeper like this.
  34. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (761) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland

Be right over!

PumaSaysRawrr and Cubatobaco like this.
  35. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

Even when I was spending $20 a day at beer stores, I would still have to go to the beer store everyday.

Beer I buy at a store has 0% chance of lasting more than a week - unless I bought a 12 pack that I didn't like all that much.

herrburgess and creepinjeeper like this.
  36. Longstaff

Longstaff Initiate (0) May 23, 2002 Massachusetts

I do this all the time - sometimes just to see if they got something in that I was interested in - and sometimes just to get a break from the family. I love the look on store workers faces when you walk out empty handed after perusing the stock for a good half hour while refusing everyones offer for help.

37. Janeinma

Janeinma Devotee (438) May 24, 2009 Massachusetts

So got this issue, luckily I have some sours, and barrel aged in there that will be better after aging but I think I am out of control. I know such a horrible problem to have a basement full of Hill Farmstead, Lawson's , Bruery and other beers. My husband and I decided to share a bomber per night for a while and try to calm it down but that was before the blue Lobster bottles got announced and I found the bottles of Merveilleux.
    We really have got to finish our Earth Eagle and Blue lobster growler asap though........
    But winter has come and my favorite saisons and wheats will taper down I think I have enough to hibernate with.

38. lord_jordo

lord_jordo Initiate (0) Oct 2, 2013 Massachusetts

i spend about $30 a day on beer. and i drink it all that day.

39. lovethebelgians

lovethebelgians Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2013 Illinois

I've had to swear off looking at shelves, cuz I think I'm the main reason my wife and I are broke now. I don't have nearly as much beer as you, but I just started last month picking things up and I would say there are at least 30 bottles in my house now probably more, and no one to share them with so the bombers don't get drank

40. GatorLCA

GatorLCA Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2012 Florida

Guilty as charged....I only have 80 something on hand, a lot of multiples. I'm about to buy a secondary 'cellar' fridge to alleviate the space in my Lazy Susan (where my beer currently resides).

I get some nervous jitters when I'm approaching the brewery when something good has released...glad I'm not the only one (even though I know I wasn't)

Jsteez and creepinjeeper like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.