Addicted to buying

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mmmbeerNY, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (486) Mar 5, 2014 New York

This week I drank 5 beers (12oz bottles) over 3 days and they were all but one was a ow ABV beer. So I wasn't drinking to get drunk or really even a buzz, just enjoying a few while I grilled, ate, and relaxed

Over the course of the week I did not buy any beer. I wanted to, but my basement fridge and shelves were stocked enough so I fear buying more then I want to drink and already have like 20 RIS or BA beers aging

As I was thinking tonight, I'm certainly fine with not drinking much over the course of the week, but I'm itching to go beer shopping. I'm missing browsing the beer shelves and buying something new or an old favorite.

Anyone else feel they are more addicted to shopping for and buying beer then drinking it? Guess it's not totally bad, except for my wallet (although I think compared to many I'm fairly conservative when comes to pricy beers at bottle shop as I skip buying beers that I would like to try due to price all the time), as rather be a crazy BA beer shopper then just an alcoholic

DaverCS, dirtyhalos, Ray_Ray and 42 others like this.
  2. DarkerTheBetter

DarkerTheBetter Initiate (0) Sep 30, 2005 Minnesota

Being a "shopaholic" seems to be a pretty common problem that expands well beyond the beer world. Shiny new stuff is exciting. That's just how it works.

3. BeerBob

BeerBob Initiate (0) May 30, 2002 Nebraska

At one time, my inventory of beer looked like this...

144 Sierra Nevada Pale Ale 12oz bottles -------------------------------------1728oz
    24 Samuel Adams Winter Lager 12oz bottles ------------------------------------288oz
    24 New Belgium Abbey style Ale 12oz bottles ----------------------------------288oz
    24 New Belgium Porch Swing Ale 12oz bottles ----------------------------------288oz
    24 Beck’s Lager 12oz bottles -------------------------------------------------288oz
    24 Guinness Harp from Canada 12oz bottles-------------------------------------288oz
    24 Grolsch Lager 12oz bottles ------------------------------------------------288oz
    24 Grolsch Amber 12oz bottles-------------------------------------------------288oz
    16 Bass Ale 1pt 3.25oz (19.25oz) bottles--------------------------------------269.5oz
    12 Heineken 12oz bottles-------------------------------------------------------144oz
    12 Guinness extra stout from Canada 1pt 6oz (22oz) bottles--------------------264oz
    12 New Belgium Biere de Mars Ale 12oz bottles---------------------------------144oz
    12 New Belgium 1554 Brussels Style Black Ale 12oz bottles---------------------144oz
    6 Fuller’s London Porter 1 pt 2.6oz (18.6oz) bottles---------------------------111.6oz
    6 Leinenkugel Big Butt Double Bock 12oz bottles--------------------------------72oz
    6 St Pauli Girl dark 12oz bottles----------------------------------------------72oz
    6 Breckenridge Christmas Ale 2002 12oz bottles---------------------------------72oz
    6 Boulevard Irish Ale 12oz bottles---------------------------------------------72oz
    6 New Belgium Tripple Belgium Ale 12oz bottles---------------------------------72oz
    6 Samuel Smith’s Winter Welcome 2002 2003 550ml (18.6oz) bottles--------------111.6oz
    6 Samuel Smith’s Oatmeal Stout 1pt 2.7oz (18.7oz) bottles---------------------112.2oz
    6 Young’s Special London Ale Millennium Edition 1pt .09oz (16.09oz) bottles-----96.54oz
    4 Young’s Old Nick 1pt 0.9oz (16.9oz) bottles-----------------------------------67.6oz
    4 Murphy’s Irish Stout 14.9oz cans----------------------------------------------59.6oz
    2 Samuel Smith’s Nut Brown Ale 1 pt 2.7oz (18.7oz) bottles----------------------37.4oz
    2 Samuel Smith’s Organically Produced Ale 1 pt 2.7oz (18.7oz) bottles-----------37.4oz
    2 Guinness extra stout from St James's Gate brewery 1pt 0.9oz (16.9oz) bottles-38.8oz
    1 Samuel Smith Winter Welcome 2002 2003 12oz bottle----------------------------12oz
    1 Rogue Yellow Snow Ale 2002 22oz bottle---------------------------------------22oz
    1 Rouge Shakespeare Stout 22oz bottle------------------------------------------22oz
    1 McEwan’s IPA 12oz bottle-----------------------------------------------------12oz
    1 Samuel Smith Taddy Porter 12oz bottle----------------------------------------12oz
    1 Mackeson Triple Stout 12oz bottle--------------------------------------------12oz
    1 Rouge Dead Guy Ale 12oz bottle-----------------------------------------------12oz
    1 Pinkus Alt 500ml (16.91oz) bottle--------------------------------------------16.9oz
    1 Miller Lite 24oz can---------------------------------------------------------24oz
    1 Camo High Gravity Lager 24oz can---------------------------------------------24oz
    1 Camo Genuine ALE 24oz can----------------------------------------------------24 oz
    1 Camo Silver ICE 24oz can-----------------------------------------------------24 oz
    1 Beamish Irish Stout 16oz nitro can-------------------------------------------16oz

5997.14oz of beer as of 8/2/2003

46.852 gallons of beer

434 bottles

You are not alone my brother!

4. LaneMeyer

LaneMeyer Initiate (0) Mar 20, 2011 California

No, I don't think anyone on BA feels this way :grinning:

5. cck5

cck5 Initiate (0) May 11, 2014 New York

i buy 3x what i drink every week. i think i have 200 bottles currently.

6. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,843) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

We're all that way it is fun to hunt new beers. I'm lucky and have a store by me that sells singles so I can buy a case of all new beers for $50 or less so it doesn't hurt my wallet as bad as it could.

7. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,440) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

That deserves a wow. Or were you bulking up for a party of 50 people?

8. draheim

draheim Poo-Bah (3,073) Sep 18, 2010 Washington
    Society

I used to be in the same boat, less somewhat these days (although I did spend $60 on beer today :wink:). Now that I've reviewed 1,000+ beers, I've become more selective about what to pick up and it takes more to get me out to the bottle shop. I still currently have 300+ bottles in the beer fridge/cellar, had gotten it down to 285 but then a bunch of new beers came out that I wanted to try, and Whole Foods also recently had a one-day 20% off sale so I figured I might as well stock up on some old favorites. And a lot of what I have is 10%+ ABV bombers/750s, and there just aren't all that many nights when I feel like tackling a big beer like that. So they sit, waiting for me to get to them. I find that the lower ABV beers and IPAs go very quickly, so I buy only a few of those at a time. Overall though, the thrill of buying new beer has started to fade after almost 5 years.

9. BeerBob

BeerBob Initiate (0) May 30, 2002 Nebraska

No party. Was hooked more on buying than drinking as the OP eluted to in the post.

Cheers!

gillagorilla likes this.
  10. iSkiCO

iSkiCO Initiate (0) Feb 14, 2015 California

Got into this during SF Beer Week in February. Did the calculation last week - I've dropped $3400 on beer, shipping, and tastings since starting. Constantly find myself on beermenus looking for the next snag. So I guess you could technically call me an addict.

11. RpZhivago

RpZhivago Initiate (80) Jan 25, 2015 Illinois
    Trader

Yep. Same. Have tons of beer in my cellar. I'm a relative noob and think it's really fun trying to hunt down beers. And I have trouble saying no to something I've been looking for. Plus, I've been trading a lot and often getting more bottles than i send out.

Everything I have stored is somewhat age-able and I drink anything not right away. I figure worst that happens is that I'll end up drinking some beers aged without knowing how they should taste fresh, because of buying more than drinking. But, whatever. I don't take it that seriously that that will stop me from my addictive behavior. :slight_smile:

foundersfan1, sharpski and BeerBob like this.
  12. ChuckHardslab

ChuckHardslab Disciple (353) Jan 25, 2012 Texas

I've kind of had this same conversation with myself. I don't make a special shopping trip or anything, but if I'm at the supermarket or close to one of my favorite bottle shops I usually go browsing for a little while. My wife is used to it and tells me she will meet me in 15 minutes at the fresh produce section. I do like to look and see if there's anything I've been wanting to try or if they have a hard to find old favorite. I frequently find something and have it in hand when I hear a little voice saying "Ya know... I already have a fridge full of beer... and I'm working out again because I really need to lose some of the gut... and I really should just save the money... and..." That's when I walk back to the cooler and put it back.

13. Hrodebert

Hrodebert Aspirant (273) Sep 2, 2013 Michigan
    Trader

Nope. Have around 30 or 40 bottles in my fridge right now, and plan on knocking that down considerably with BBQ and bonfires in the next couple days. I'll replenish the fridge shortly thereafter, but I wont get crazy with it.

Beer is for drinking.

14. beerchic

beerchic Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2015 Ohio

I posted this same thing the other night. Over 30 beers in the fridge, a hundred in the cellar, bought à 6-er of Gumballhead today.

esimonoff, foundersfan1 and BeerBob like this.
  15. tjumfrid

tjumfrid Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 Arizona

I definitely have this problem. I'm not much for cellaring (don't have much space for that) but I do buy way too much beer. I'll have around 10 great beers in my fridge, but I still find myself browsing the nearest bottle shop/total wine after work. Browsing and buying new beers is amazing. It gets my endorphins firing (do they fire?).

foundersfan1, Big_V and BeerBob like this.
  16. machalel

machalel Initiate (0) Jan 19, 2012 Australia

Definitely!

I'm "lucky" though, as I only really have enough space to store about 30-40 bottles max, so that helps me limit my purchasing.

foundersfan1, 1ale_man and BeerBob like this.
  17. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Canada (ON)

Once I develop an understanding on some of these age, I'll condense my cellar so that I have 1-2 beers max per style.

24 Rochefort 10
    6 Rochefort 8
    12 Tripel Karmeliet
    12 Westmalle Dubbel
    8 Westvleteren 12
    9 Orval
    8 St. Bernardus Abt 12 750mL
    6 Chimay Blue
    5 Achel Bruin
    1 Gulden Draak
    3 Abbaye Des Rocs Grand Cru
    2 Het Anker Keizer Blauw 750mL
    1 Armand and Tomme 750 mL
    1 3F Golden Blend
    2 Fuller's Vintage Ale
    2 Aventinus Eis-Bock
    5 Expedition Stout
    1 Black Chocolate Stout
    1 Black Albert
    5 Rodenbach Vintage 750mL
    3 Liefmans Goudenband 750mL
    1 Deus 750 mL
    1 J.W. Lees Harvest Ale 08
    1 4D Barrel Aged
    1 Ten Fidy
    2 Peche Mortel
    4 Schlenkerla Fastenbier
    1 Schlenkerla Marzen
    1 Schlenkerla Urbock
    1 Weihenstepaner Korbinian
    1 Uerige Sticke
    1 Smuttynose RIS bomber
    1 Smuttynose Baltic Porter
    1 Anchor Porter
    16 Old Flame 568mL (assorted)
    10 Cuvee des Jacobins
    2 Duchess des Bourgogne
    1 Backwoods Bastard
    1 Great Lakes Blackout Stout
    1 Bigfoot 2013
    1 Wooly Bugger Barleywine
    1 Hr. Fredrickson RIS
    1 Samiclaus Classic 14%
    + a couple dozen more

18. 5EKF

5EKF Meyvn (1,021) Dec 8, 2014 Illinois

Hi, my name is Keith and I am addicted to buying beer. My living room is full of beer, my fridge is full of beer (no room for food, hence why I order pizza so much) and my bedroom has a bunch of bottles. Today I made 2 beer runs which happens time to time.

19. tjumfrid

tjumfrid Initiate (0) Jun 15, 2013 Arizona

I love your devotion to European beers. 8 Westy 12s..I'm jealous.

AugustusRex likes this.
  20. Mehinaman

Mehinaman Zealot (522) May 16, 2015 Washington
    Trader

Oh for sure. I think it's like any hobby. The fun part is the shopping. I also collect action figures and though I love the ones I have my favorite part of collecting is walking into one of my favorite stores. I feel the same way now about beer shopping. I have to be careful though because if too much beer starts taking up the pantry and the fridge my wife lets me have it. :grinning:

foundersfan1 and BeerBob like this.
  21. Mongrel

Mongrel Crusader (761) Feb 14, 2013 Maryland

You need more Expedition Stout :slight_smile:

22. Ipaupaweallpa

Ipaupaweallpa Initiate (0) Dec 26, 2014 Alabama

Yes! I was thinking of starting this thread myself. Lucky the wife has let me take up enough room for about 40 beers at a time in the fridge. Then I got some dry storage with Bigfoot and some stouts and stuff. Every time I'm at the grocery store I check Thier inventory on craft and the dates to see if there is anything worth grabbing. I love the searching /collecting part of this hobby as much as I love to taste a fresh new ipa. It's harder to find good stuff in Alabama though so I'm always checking the stone /Sierra stuff around here for dates within a month or so. Really hard to get groceries and not grab something. Today I bought just a box of cheerios and I just had to get another bomber of arrogant bastard just so I have another after I drink the one currently in the fridge, lol.

SLOCruzin likes this.
  23. utopiajane

utopiajane Initiate (0) Jun 11, 2013 New York

I do love shopping for beer as finding something new to try is always a pleasure.

24. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

Ya, hope you know that your post will be used frequently by other BAs telling their significant others - "Look at what the other kids are doing, at least I don't have that much beer!"

Or at least I will be.....printing post right....now......

25. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Defender (644) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

I've seen me do it.

twizzard likes this.
  26. Treyliff

Treyliff Poo-Bah (5,451) Aug 10, 2010 West Virginia
    Society Trader

The 600+ bottles in my cellar would probably suggest that I have the same problem as you.

27. Fargrow

Fargrow Initiate (0) Feb 7, 2013 Michigan

I've been there. For about a year I would go buy mixed 6 packs often, even though I already had plenty of beer in the fridge and hundreds in the cellar.

Shopping for literally anything else is like torture for me. But beer shopping is actually fun.

bubseymour, foundersfan1 and BeerBob like this.
  28. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Zealot (535) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

Isn't this why we're all here???

29. Urk1127

Urk1127 Poo-Bah (2,073) Jul 2, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Have a whole separate fridge for just beer. Can't buy as much as I used to but I would go to 3-4 stores at least 2 or three times a week to find what I wanted. I wouldn't go out of my way for anything else.

30. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

i've been holding back lately, but that wasn't true for awhile, constant purchasing. I stopped drinking on weekdays (mostly), and still don't get to crazy on the weekends, so I am buying much more than I could (or should) drink.

luckily nothing I've really been interested in has been coming out, helped me clear out some that I bought awhile ago.

i only keep a few in the fridge at a time, often brought up in the morning for that afternoon or night, because if they're in there, I am just too tempted to enjoy them. Same reason why I bring a single can of soda with me to work each day. If I had the entire pack here, I would probably drink 2-3 a day.

foundersfan1 likes this.
  31. aasher

aasher Poo-Bah (3,608) Jan 27, 2010 Indiana
    Society

I believe that I have a collecting addiction. As I've said before, my dad is completely to blame for this :wink: . He is addicted to collecting antiques so when I was a little kid he got me into collecting baseball, basketball, and football cards. I would do extra chores around the house just so I could have a couple extra dollars to spend at the card shop. Now, I buy bottles that I won't drink for years just because I see them on a shelf and I have to try everything new when it comes out (well almost everything). First world problems I suppose....

32. nesarebad

nesarebad Zealot (517) Feb 4, 2012 Massachusetts
    Trader

My beer purchasing far exceeds my consumption rate. I think I am not alone on this within the BA community. So many great beers out there.

foundersfan1, TonyLema1 and meanmutt like this.
  33. Crackerbarrel

Crackerbarrel Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2014 New York

Its becoming a psychological disorder.....or at least its rewiring my brain.

First I delude myself to going to the beer shop ("I'll just go to see if they have this one particular beer"), then as I'm scanning all the labels like a maniac and checking the ratings on BA, I enter the "justify these purchases" phase.

Then, after feeling pangs of guilt, I enter the "ok what else can you give up in the coming weeks to offset this purchase." After I delude myself into feeling somewhat better, I proceed to wait out the pain that remains until I abandon all previously laid plans of giving something up. Then, I don't even drink anything I just bought (I drink something I bought 3 weeks ago instead).

And: I do this all involuntarily. My brain (and any kind of self control that might go with it) is helplessly in the back seat, and I'm running strictly on dopamine squirts to the nerve passageways in my arms, hands, and fingers. And legs, to get me to the cashier before I can put anything back.

34. Preluderl

Preluderl Zealot (507) Sep 27, 2012 Pennsylvania
    Trader

Yep..

I'm gonna guess I have about 120 bottles total on hand right now and I drink anywhere from zero to five per week.

35. MostlyNorwegian

MostlyNorwegian Initiate (0) Feb 5, 2013 Illinois

Beer collecting is the new materialism.

36. MakeMineADoubleJack

MakeMineADoubleJack Zealot (571) Apr 17, 2014 North Carolina

I buy a good deal more than I consume. You can consider me part of the choir that has chimed in thus far. It's just so damn enjoyable: finding new stores to browse, new beers to drink, even new breweries to visit and take growlers or bottles home from. My goal is to try as many beers as I can before I shake off this mortal coil, and ya gotta buy 'em if ya wanna try 'em. (Unless you attend epic bottle shares twice a week.)

Ozzylizard, foundersfan1 and Premo88 like this.
  37. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Defender (644) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

Beer collecting is cheaper than coin collecting, but takes up a lot more space. On the other hand it tastes better.

I recently muddled into Kristalweissen, my new BFFL.

Acquiring things similar to, but not identical to the ones I have, seems an expression of my mild to moderate OCD.

My one healthy , arguably, expression is seeing how many miles I can ride my bike in a season. (525 this May, a personal best for a spring month.)

foundersfan1 and Premo88 like this.
  38. jlsims04

jlsims04 Initiate (0) Jul 14, 2013 Illinois

Was the SNPA a keg? or did you actually buy 6 cases at one time.

foundersfan1, Premo88 and rozzom like this.
  39. LehighAce06

LehighAce06 Champion (828) Jul 31, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I have a cellar of about 900 bottles in total. So while I don't have a drinking problem, yes I do have a beer buying problem.

Fortunately the majority of these bottles are imperial stouts, barleywines, and sours; styles meant to age, so I'm not concerned about loss of quality before having a chance to drink this collection down.

40. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I was working my stash down a little until I went to Chicago last weekend. Spent about Two Fitty at Binny's and The Beer Temple. I don't track IPAs or beers in my fridge for immediate consumption so beyond that I have 272 bottles, 127 unique beers, and 69 different breweries.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.