Addicted to buying

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mmmbeerNY, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UrbanCaveman

UrbanCaveman Meyvn (1,109) Sep 30, 2014 Ohio
    Society Trader

Huh. There's about 9 total beers in my house right now that I'd consider drinkable beer.

4 Tallgrass Vanilla Bean Buffalo Sweat (oldest beers I have, brought home from the last trip to Des Moines in January, along with other stuff that has since been ingested)
    4 Not Your Father's Root Beer 5.9%
    1 Great River Dirty Blonde

There's also 12 Habanero Sculpin bottles, but those are all for my girlfriend - if I won't drink it, it doesn't count for my purposes.

More power to you folks with beer cellars - I tend to drink as I buy, and not grab much extra. I may splurge a bit and grab a small hoard of favorite Ohio beers before my impending three-states-away move, though.

2. bluehende

bluehende Poo-Bah (2,440) Dec 10, 2010 Delaware
    Society

I think is it with me. I like collecting so it naturally translates to beer. I wonder why we humans have a compulsion for owning more and more. Luckily for me I am cheap so it does not get out of hand. Home brew on the other hand is another thing. I have way too much around even with summer coming. I am making the kids (28&32) very happy.

DarkerTheBetter and aasher like this.
  3. Andrew041180

Andrew041180 Initiate (0) Mar 15, 2013 Massachusetts

Fortunately my stinginess gets in the way of my desire to buy tons of beers that I won't drink right away. My "cellar" is currently about 12 bottles and that will vanish by the end of the year. But I see where you all are coming from. I have given much thought to building up a cellar.

4. BeerBob

BeerBob Initiate (0) May 30, 2002 Nebraska

It was 1 six pack at a time, over a period of several weeks/months. I know, I should have talked to my bartender about this "obsessive compulsive behavior". The eyes would get glazed over when I went down the beer isle, and the beer kept on adding up. Now at what point did the beer start to multiply on its own at night when left unattended, I couldn't say. All I know is it was getting harder and harder to get around in the house, and I was in denial. This happened to me, and from reading the posts in the thread, its happened to others as well. Totally, and completely inexplicable...

VABA and couchsitta like this.
  5. Franziskaner

Franziskaner Poo-Bah (5,313) May 27, 2005 Missouri
    Society Trader

I think the more disturbing part than the quantity would be the above! You can be more discerning! :grimacing:

6. guinness77

guinness77 Poo-Bah (2,111) Jan 6, 2014 New York
    Society

I use the "I just want to see what they have there" excuse, myself, quite often. :wink:

I have my 2 "locals" near where I work and I have 2 "locals" near where I live and, suffice to say, I know them and they know me.

couchsitta and MjBrewhouse like this.
  7. rozzom

rozzom Meyvn (1,059) Jan 22, 2011 New York
    Trader

My purchasing:drinking ratio is practically 1:1. I have two beers on hand right now, which is unusually high

Don't have inclination/ability/space to age beers

8. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Savant (912) Apr 12, 2013 Virginia
    Society

I definitely am afflicted with this condition. As a ticker, there are always new beers to buy and try, (as others in his thread have said, that a huge part of the fun of the hobby) but as I only drink on the weekends, my cellar/stock keeps gettI got larger rather than maintaining an equilibrium. I've had to put a moratorium on buying new beers several times, but between trades with buddies, more beers still seems to walk in the door. Still first world problems and all!

Cheers!

9. Mojo

Mojo Champion (836) Jul 21, 2012 Alabama
    Trader

I'll be honest: there are three prongs to being a BA all equal to themselves

• Buying
    • Owning
    • Drinking

None is greater than the other in my mind.

10. Mburk

Mburk Initiate (86) Jan 10, 2015 California
    Trader

I just started a "cellar" in my closet about 4 months ago and some of my friends think I am crazy for holding this much beer. I only have 30 bottles right now! Most of the thrill comes from the search in my case. There is relief once I acquire it and tons of enjoyment once I drink it.

11. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (980) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I do enjoy checking out the beer selection at any store I find myself in that sells good beer. I enjoy stopping by bottle shops and seeing what's available. I might even make a special run, if I know something good is hitting the shelves.

On the other hand, there is no question, I enjoy drinking a good beer far more than having a good beer in storage. I buy beer to drink it.

I have a beer fridge that hold about 50 bottles. When its full I stop buying beer until some space opens up. This means I always have a great selection on hand, but I don't have what one would call a collection.

I find some limits allow me to keep things balanced.

QuakeAttack and floridadrift like this.
  12. floridadrift

floridadrift Initiate (0) Oct 24, 2014 Florida

I've said this before but I started collecting last year, before that, I started with one Moat Water left from a big haul of them, most of which we drank and I traded my last one for a '12 BT. Now, I have close to 400ish bottles, mostly bombers, mostly weighted bottles or "whales." I try to get two of each of anything in Florida, so I can try it, age one or give it to my pals. I focus on the bigger names now though because consistency is so hard to find.

I have two cases of FSW, Bruery, BCS and about a half case of GI variants; a case of Fremont, a case of CCB and a case of Cycle. Anything else you can think of like Darkness, DL, any Clown Shoes, Abyss, Hair of the Dog variants, FFF, Pugachev's stuff, I got it for days. It took A LOT of money and a lot of trading but now, I can drink whenever I want and I've met some really stand up guys through the process. I don't have to rely on local tap takeovers or special releases in Tampa to get my fix.

If anything, my pallet is becoming dissolved by toffee, caramel, molasses, bourbon and vanilla flavors.

BeersAndBears and HeartofMiami like this.
  13. VictorsValiant

VictorsValiant Initiate (0) Oct 14, 2014 Oregon

I feel addicted to the shopping experience as well. However I also like to drink what I buy. Buy beer, drink beer. Buy more beer, drink more beer. It's a vicious cycle.

MjBrewhouse and plutoniumpete like this.
  14. bleakies

bleakies Disciple (384) Apr 11, 2011 Massachusetts

Aside from four or five bottles stuck in a cupboard gaining age and wisdom, all of my beer is on the bottom shelf of the fridge. But whenever an empty space opens up on that shelf, I rarely go more than a day before I've filled it.

15. rather

rather Initiate (0) May 31, 2013 California

I love shopping for beer and am getting a bit better at walking out empty handed

16. Zimbo

Zimbo Savant (956) Aug 7, 2010 Scotland

Guilty as charged.

deleted_user_950283 likes this.
  17. BergBeer

BergBeer Champion (885) Aug 21, 2013 Hawaii

I have 7 SN pale ales in my fridge

and 5 BCBS

Thats it!

18. lambpasty

lambpasty Initiate (0) May 3, 2013 New Hampshire

I have poor impulse control when it comes to hobbies, I tend to tunnel vision and before I know it I'm investing 150% of my available resources. I'm like this with everything, be it my career or videogames or hiking or the gym or cigars or beer, electronics, music etc etc. Basically any of my vested interests.

My resolution for 2015 was to make a conscious effort to curb my impulse buying and only buy reasonable/realistic amounts of things. At one point last year I was spending like $300+ a month on beer, so far this year though I'm keeping it less than $100 for the most part.

19. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

sounds like me. what hobby would you like supplies for? Although some of them are still active: skiing, snowboarding, bicycling, screen printing, linocut, motorcycles, shooting, beer. There's gotta be some more...

20. leaversuch

leaversuch Disciple (380) Dec 18, 2012 Massachusetts

Since when is having too much beer a problem???

21. TurkeyFeathers

TurkeyFeathers Initiate (0) Jun 22, 2014 New York
    Deactivated

Great cellar ! IMO drink those Peche Mortel now and enjoy the coffee

arizcards likes this.
  22. halo3one

halo3one Initiate (0) Jun 6, 2014 Georgia

buying collecting drinking....all of the above?

MjBrewhouse likes this.
  23. millionsuns

millionsuns Initiate (183) Dec 6, 2008 Maine
    Trader

There has simply never been a better time in human history to be a fan of beer. That's what's so difficult; we're smack in the midst of a beer renaissance.

24. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (785) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

These days I more or less just buy what I need for the weekend. Gives me a reason to go to the store on a weekly basis. I may cellar 3-4 beers at a time, that's it.

25. ICMTM

ICMTM Initiate (164) Mar 20, 2014 California
    Trader

I am ICMTM and I'm a beer buyingAholic.

I've stopped buying things locally. Since I travel up and down the West Coast I'll buy a bunch of bottles at each stop. I'll be in SoCal in two weeks then Portland the following. I'll probably spend a few hundred on bottles. I don't even know what I'm buying yet?

26. tmbgnicu

tmbgnicu Zealot (509) Mar 15, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Trader

I LOVE hunting for beer, it's probably my favorite part of the hobby tbh. Yesterday, I purchased a 15pk of founders all day, a 6 of grapefruit sculpin cans and 3 aprihops that were clearanced for my wife. I didn't need beer, my fridge had:

1 bottle of lunch
    1 bottle of mean old tom
    1 bottle of king titus
    1 can of heady topper
    1 bottle of arrogant bastard
    1 bottle of stone saison
    1 bottle of stone pa 2.0
    1 bottle of stone go to
    2 bottles of SN torpedo
    3 cans of wb gose
    3 cans of sixpoint abigale

But I was off from work, and I always go shopping when I am off. Found good deals, so I made a purchase. Hell, I'll probably drop by another shop on my way home from work tonight

27. JMS1512

JMS1512 Crusader (790) Feb 18, 2013 New Jersey

This is my mindset, though I have far, far less inventory on hand. It's getting harder and harder to find things I want, at all. I need to either take a trip to Europe, or somewhere in the US where the distribution will never reach NWNJ.

28. AugustusRex

AugustusRex Initiate (0) Apr 12, 2013 Canada (ON)

Yeah for sure, but the government stores got them at 5 months old, so the coffee is mostly faded now. At this point, age can only help it!

29. aschwab

aschwab Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2009 Texas

At some point mid-last year, I had around 500 bombers in my cellar.

It was at that point, I decided I was stupid and not just enjoying beer.

I generally have stopped buying and trading for beer. I actually find myself buying more local lagers and pilsners and actually just enjoying basic beers.

I also go to a weekly bottle share on Monday nights (benefits of not working until 1PM weekdays). I tend to bring 2 bottles to each share. Then there are the weekends where I bring a bomber every time I go to someones house or certain breweries where I know people.

Down to maybe 250. I want it down to less than 100 and actually rotate beers in my cellar.

I have stopped buying new beers except for my guilty pleasure of Jester King. But, I used to get around 6 of each release, and down to just 2-3.

I kept two people as trade partners - but it usually is once ever 3 months and we don't even care about the beers sent - we just send beer that we like that is local, nothing more is needed to be said.

I have enjoyed it a lot more. It has saved me money. And I have actually enjoyed much more of the local beer that I was ignoring.

BeersAndBears and bcp5296d like this.
  30. bcp5296d

bcp5296d Devotee (436) Aug 7, 2012 North Carolina

It is important for me to buy the shelf beer I like at bottle shops now, because if I don't they will view me as a "cherry-picker". The truth is, most of the beer they have I have already tried and do not want to purchase again. I feel like I get tossed aside for people newer to the beer community who come in and spend $200 because they are still trying all the stuff they have on shelves. Not sure if that post makes sense but I really do feel that way in some bottle shops.

There was a time not too long ago that I would spend at least $100 a week at local bottle shops. It was fun.

31. bcp5296d

bcp5296d Devotee (436) Aug 7, 2012 North Carolina

I also have consumed about 2/3 of my cellar in the past 9 months but have left most of the one-offs and really valuable stuff for special occasions.

32. aschwab

It is making it harder and harder to share some of my bottles unless it is a small share due to this reason.

bcp5296d likes this.
  33. sybian

sybian Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2010 New Jersey

This is me, except for the putting the beer back part. I feel the need to stop in to any of my go to stores when I happen to be in the area for whatever reason. Just to see if they have anything new. Swearing I am not going to buy anything. Then I see a 4-pack of Backwoods Bastard, and how can I NOT buy it? Or a limited release bottle I always wanted to try and never expected to try? Inevitably, I walk out with 2 bombers and a 4-pack. Every time.

I just started cellaring beers 2 or 3 years ago, and only a handful of bottles. In the past year I went from 5 or 6 bottles to about 40. Right now, my beer closet has about 25 bottles I am trying to age, and another 20+ I keep buying faster than I can drink. Almost all are single bottles, bombers or 750ml bottles that are "special" beers. The other day I wanted an "every day beer," maybe an IPA, a Belgian or a non-BA stout or porter. I had nothing fitting the bill. I settled on a Backwoods Bastard as the lightest 12 oz bottle.

I was starting to worry I had a problem, but you kind people made me feel better about myself. Thanks, group of enablers!

34. aschwab

You are on the start of a downward spiral.

We may make you feel good now, but in a year or two, you will be posting about your recovery.

35. zid

zid Poo-Bah (1,779) Feb 15, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I don't think it's an inclination to age beers that causes most people to have what they think of as a cellar. It's an inclination to own.

Ranbot, chcfan and rozzom like this.
  36. PGD120

PGD120 Initiate (0) Jan 20, 2015 New Jersey

for me if i pass a store i know id pretty good usually stop, ad at the least pick up a bomber of somethig

37. Northlax3

Northlax3 Initiate (0) Aug 19, 2012 New Jersey

I keep an excel spreadsheet that is also my cellar list, but I include everything on there (ipas and such too)

I have a column for Price per bottle as well, which I keep added up so I can see the total im spending. That actually really helped me put it in perspective how much I was buying (especially the first time I hit enter to calculate the total )

Now I try and limit myself, just becuase something is good, or limited, doesnt mean I HAVE to buy it. But still there is a good chance.

Oh and i work for a beer wholesaler, So im in and out of package stores literally 5 days a week.. .that doesnt help...

EvilMidnightBomber and blassor like this.
  38. SteveB24

SteveB24 Initiate (0) Aug 29, 2013 New York

this

DarkerTheBetter likes this.
  39. 5EKF

5EKF Meyvn (1,021) Dec 8, 2014 Illinois

There's no such thing as having "too much" beer :stuck_out_tongue:

deleted_user_950283 likes this.
  40. MA_hops

MA_hops Initiate (0) May 18, 2015 Vermont

For awhile I always had 30-40 beers in my fridge no matter what. Despite the fact that I only drank 5 or so a week. However i've cut back substantially to the point where I only buy enough beer to last me the week. The problem that i've encountered is that upon drinking predominantly "world class" beer, there is no going back. I can't buy "very good" or "great" beer anymore. My palate won't let me enjoy them. This has helped me considerably in avoiding the addiction to keep buying more and more. Perhaps others can relate?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.