Addicted to buying

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mmmbeerNY, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WheelsPSU

WheelsPSU Zealot (596) Aug 25, 2013 New Jersey

Living in NY helps me not collect beers because I simply don't have the room for them. I guess small apartments do have some benefits. Well not really, but my kitchen is all of 5 sq feet so I don't exactly have room for many beers. And cellering beers? Hahaha. My wallet is happy about this though.

rozzom likes this.
  2. mikevanatta

mikevanatta Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 Minnesota

What the hell does a person need with SIX CASES of SN Pale Ale? You can buy that beer at every damn liquor store in the country literally every single day of the year, no need to stock up.

rjd722, Dave1999, CMLinder and 8 others like this.
  3. deleted_user_950283

deleted_user_950283 Crusader (796) Feb 25, 2015
    Trader

Montana and beer go well together. Not a lot of selection in Billings so stocking up is fun. :wink:

4. BeerBob

BeerBob Initiate (0) May 30, 2002 Nebraska

Exactly, I needed more beer like Custer needed more Indians, but I didn't see it that way at the time.

Tripel_Threat and plutoniumpete like this.
  5. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,971) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

I think I have this unrealistic fear that tomorrow all of the beer at the store will be gone. I am slowly realizing that the store will still have beer, and it's ok to pass on something. There is always going to be a new release and something tasty! Didn't think this way for a while, so the cellar gathered hundreds of beers. Apart from Cantillon and other beers that age well, I'm working the cellar down!

BeerBob likes this.
  6. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Crusader (718) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

Picking up a new fridge after work to store all my beer that does not fit in my small beer fridge and the top shelf of the normal fridge. My wife is getting tired of the cases of beer stacked in the computer room and spread out on the dining room table. Its like a sickness I will buy whenever I have a chance and have family and friends who bring me home cases. I buy as though I will drink 3 beers a day and if I am lucky I drink 2. I know I need to stop as I can see the weight starting to pile up on me.

oldsailor and BeerBob like this.
  7. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,843) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

I don't tend to have a ton of any one beer, but the ticker in me really causes me to keep buying more and more variety. Can't think of any beer I ever have more than one sixer of at a time.

8. sybian

sybian Initiate (0) Aug 30, 2010 New Jersey

Funny, but probably true. My stockpile is in a storage closet with no insulation, so it gets down to about 45-50 degrees in the winter, and up to maybe 65 degrees in the summer. Perfect in the winter, as I don't even need to refrigerate heavy beers to drink them. My wife rarely goes into the closet, but I fear the day she goes through her old dresses and sees the number of bombers and 750ml bottles behind the mostly visible 12 oz bottles.

CMLinder likes this.
  9. Mbennett

Mbennett Initiate (0) Jun 16, 2011 New York

I love to browse, and generally will stop in my local spot once or twice a week, but will rarely spend more than $20 per visit. Keeps things interesting, and I don't have to worry about my beer going bad.

10. BeerBob

BeerBob Initiate (0) May 30, 2002 Nebraska

Yep, this did not stop with the beer, it was like a "Spudy" "When enough just isn't enough" I had a major issue with shopping... for anything.

DarkerTheBetter likes this.
  11. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Defender (672) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

I never have more than 35-40 store-bought beers at any time. But when my stash starts getting really low, I start looking forward to drinking the last one because that means—it's time to go beer shopping again! I'll have a list of stuff I want put together well in advance of that glorious day...as in right after I stocked up the last time. :wink:

12. putonyourwalkingshoes

putonyourwalkingshoes Devotee (471) Jul 31, 2013 California
    Trader

I feel your pain. You think that you'll get a couple weeks where no special releases come out and the bam! you're forking out another $200 because lord knows the cellar needs some too.

KBS likes this.
  13. drunkenmess

drunkenmess Savant (951) Mar 27, 2015 Michigan
    Trader

Very addicting past time/hobby. Actually feel at peace while I'm shopping for beer. Lose track of time while I'm there too lol. Even if the fridge is full with like 30 something beers, always out "browsing" every other day.
    I have a problem...:grinning::rolling_eyes::stuck_out_tongue:

Mehinaman and BeerBob like this.
  14. WhaleFluffer69

WhaleFluffer69 Initiate (0) Jun 2, 2015 California

I've spent nearly $2,000 in the last two months alone, and that's mostly for beers to sit on until I feel like getting into something big. I only buy beer I'm comfortable aging, otherwise it's got to be canned for easy sippin.

15. MA_hops

MA_hops Initiate (0) May 18, 2015 Vermont

I picked up a $15 bottle of Alesmith Speedway Stout yesterday which I thought was an outrageous price, but it's been on my want list and I've never seen it for sale in MA before. Purchases like that make me cringe/hopefully it won't be habitual.

Premo88 likes this.
  16. Brolo75

Brolo75 Initiate (0) Aug 10, 2013 California
    Deactivated

57 bottles in my cellar, 15 cans/bottles in my refrigerator. Between now and my next shopping trip I might drink 6 bottles/cans.

But some weeks I don't buy any beer but other weeks I might spend a pretty penny it really depends on what's available.

Premo88 likes this.
  17. Premo88

Premo88 Poo-Bah (2,142) Jun 6, 2010 Texas
    Society

Yes, I fight the same urge to buy more beer than I can drink.

When I got back into beer in 2012, I spent about 6 months over-buying ... one time buying so much beer I couldn't get it all in my fridge. It's easier for me now to gauge my beer buying in accordance with my beer drinking, but I do have a "cellar" problem -- about 20% of the room in my fridge appropriated for beer is full of beers I'm aging, and that 20% seems to be growing ever so slowly.

Ironically, though, filling my fridge with beer meant to be aged has helped me keep my everyday beer buying in check. At least so far ... :confused:

BeerBob likes this.
  18. johnInLA

johnInLA Savant (980) Jun 12, 2005 California
    Society Trader

I picked up speedway for $11 out here in California recently. At that price I consider it a great value. Speedway is as good as, if not better, than many Imperial Stouts I've tried that cost twice the price.

MA_hops likes this.
  19. Ballard7003

Ballard7003 Initiate (0) Dec 1, 2013 Georgia

I stop by my go to bottle shop on at least a weekly bases. The owner is actually a good friend of mine now, but I still feel like I'm hurting his feelings when I walk out empty handed haha.

1up likes this.
  20. mysterye87

mysterye87 Initiate (0) Feb 16, 2014 California

I started filling my spare room/kids room. Wife told me to drink it or move it. I asked my buddy if I can keep them at his place. So now my buddy's place is full. Doesn't help that it seems like a bunch of good beer seems to be coming out all of the same time.

BeerBob likes this.
  21. thgreatrandini

thgreatrandini Initiate (0) Jun 26, 2014 Pennsylvania

I don't let myself get insanely overstocked like some of these super buyers, but I am constantly feeling the "what am I buying next?" itch.

22. GameFreac

GameFreac Disciple (335) Apr 8, 2011 Georgia

I remember when I used to keep a beer budget at $50 per month. I laugh at that. Now I have no idea how much I spend.

23. JimF138

JimF138 Initiate (0) Jan 3, 2015 Scotland

I'm not a hoarder, only buy what I'm gonna drink soon.

However, after having a lot of drama at the weekend that is spilling over in to the week, the 30minutes I spent in a new (to me) bottle shop today choosing the rest of the weeks beer was blissful and took my mind off everything going on around me.

Drinking it will make me forget about it all now!!

souvenirs likes this.
  24. souvenirs

souvenirs Crusader (721) Apr 18, 2013 Canada (BC)

Yep. My fridge is full, and not with groceries. Unless we start calling beer by that name...

Mehinaman and BeerBob like this.
  25. Chris-1911

Chris-1911 Initiate (0) Dec 10, 2014 Illinois

26. otispdriftwood

otispdriftwood Initiate (0) Dec 9, 2011 Colorado

When your favorite beer store is also an excellent upscale food market that carries beer and food you can't get anywhere else, you've got a problem. And oh yeah, the place has a dedicated beer/wine bar and pressure fills growlers from a selection of 16 taps. It's about a 15 mile round trip so I don't buy alot but I do buy often.

27. IowaBiertrinker

IowaBiertrinker Initiate (0) Sep 20, 2010 Iowa

When the beer store with the best selection is a 120 mile round trip, stocking up is wise.

28. Bonsall_Phil

Bonsall_Phil Disciple (384) Mar 21, 2014 California

same issue here, I'll buy whatever I see that I haven't had yet. Come home and drink the IPA or the Belgium and throw the stout in the fridge. I now have 2 bar fridges, a shelf in the regular fridge and a closet full of stouts and BA beers that I'm too hesitant to have.

mysterye87 likes this.
  29. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,454) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

I love to shop and find new beers. I try to limit, however, how much I spend to 50-75 bucks a week(doesn't take long to reach that amount). I would say that I usually drink 90-95% of what I buy during that week and the other 5-10% gets put away, hopefully to age. Unfortunately, at least 50-60% of that which I put away to age gets consumed pretty quickly. I am not a good ager, lol !

30. Nmelione

Nmelione Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 New Jersey
    Deactivated

I one time took a trip to VT and went crazy. I came back with 4 cases of heady a couple cases of Sip of Sunshine and a bunch of hill farmstead. What a big mistake. At the time I was just getting into craft beer and only knew of the hype so I went crazy. I had so much and I just couldn't drink it all in time and a lot of it ended up going "bad". Of course I eventually drank it all but it was less than peak condition.

31. jparizo

jparizo Initiate (0) Jan 16, 2011 Indiana

Yes to the original question. I really like to walk through and get excited to see what they have. I also really want to go into any liquor store I've never been it.
    Yes to the unasked question. I have a hard time not buying every beer I want to 'try' at the store. It's so painful to go into a store and walk out with only one or two sixers/bombers.

32. MammothTarantula

MammothTarantula Initiate (0) Jan 22, 2012 Colorado

It's the thrill of the hunt! I'm hooked. I get anxious when my cellar bottle count dips below 75.

33. Ohiovania

Ohiovania Crusader (789) Aug 13, 2008 Ohio

It's even worse when you have too much but then you see a great deal. Just saw 6-packs of expedition for 13.99 in NC and even though I already have enough from the last 5 years... I couldn't help but get some.

34. 3DMan

3DMan Initiate (0) Feb 1, 2015 Michigan

I think my inventory is on the verge of getting out of hand, but then I remember I have another empty shelf in the closet. I normally try not to buy more than a sixer or two a week maybe with a 750 (there are many exceptions though). Unfortunately I don't get a chance to drink more than one a day at home that much because of work, maybe one day a week where I can have a few.
    Really my biggest concern is my tendency to load up on IPA, especially DIPA. I'll buy a 4pk, have one, love it, then hit the store to get another before they're gone. I need to buy more singles, although not many places near me sell them.
    I get home and end up feeling compelled to just drink my IPAs because I want to enjoy them fairly fresh, even when I might really want a different style.

35. mmmbeerNY

mmmbeerNY Devotee (485) Mar 5, 2014 New York

So glad to hear I'm not alone! Figured many BAs shared this addiction

I finally broke my streak of non shopping, over the last two days have bought:
    1 Sour Monkey
    4 pack Founders Black Rye
    one High West-ified Imperial Coffee Stout
    and a bottle of Weihenstephaner Kristallweissbier and Vitus

36. amalburg

amalburg Initiate (0) Jan 7, 2014 Michigan

I check my phone ever day on the way home from work while sitting in traffic to see what the local beer store had delivered. I need to stop checking that facebook page.......

37. Dogtirednj

Dogtirednj Initiate (0) Aug 20, 2014 Pennsylvania

I've been "banned" from bringing new beer into the house until I decrease the amount of existing beer in the house. This is problematic, as I have recently been training for a marathon and have adopted a "no beer during the work-week" policy. Sooo...I went through my current stash and put together mixed sixers of my least favorites and "gifted" them to friends and coworkers who have expressed interest in trying new beers. Paying it forward and bringing new craft beer enthusiasts in to the fold.

38. dennis3951

dennis3951 Initiate (0) Mar 6, 2008 New Jersey

I only buy beer that I expect to drink within a week.

surfcaster likes this.
  39. T-Bird

T-Bird Initiate (16) Aug 26, 2013 Ohio

Buying all this beer reminds me of a funny column from years ago by Mike Royko, an old Chicago newspaper columnist. Short version is he had a "Royko System of Food Shopping for the Single Man", which meant that he never shopped for more food until he had eaten everything in the house, and by everything he meant everything.

The long version is here, where he explains the many benefits of his system.

https://news.google.com/newspapers?...AIBAJ&sjid=MPwFAAAAIBAJ&pg=2817,5714288&hl=en

40. CMiesen

CMiesen Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2015 California

I started a cellar a year ago got about 30 bottles in there now was working on drinking it down because rather drink it than move it. But I will be working in Santa Rosa for a month so I think it will get stocked up again being so close to so many great places. I already admitted I have a problem to my girlfriend she just encouraged it because she drinks good beer too. And my birthday is coming up so friends will buy me beer for the cellar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.