Addicted to buying

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mmmbeerNY, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yeah_IPA

Yeah_IPA Initiate (0) May 15, 2015 Virginia

It really is fun going beer shopping. Always fun trying new stuff :sunglasses:

Scott17Taylor likes this.
  2. Scott17Taylor

Scott17Taylor Poo-Bah (1,843) Oct 28, 2013 Iowa
    Society Trader

It really is now we just need more stores that sell singles.

Mehinaman and Lonestar9 like this.
  3. Mmmkcr

Mmmkcr Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2014 Pennsylvania

You're all nuts.

turbotype and Mitchell57 like this.
  4. fearfactory

fearfactory Aspirant (296) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

As opposed to sitting, tearing paper into strips? I'm okay with that...

5. NickTheGreat

NickTheGreat Zealot (535) Oct 28, 2010 Iowa
    Trader

I was doing well, but Saturday morning I spent $50 on beer. And then went to the next store and spent another $50!

I also have 8 or 9 gallons of homebrew in the fridge!

6. BeerBob

BeerBob Initiate (0) May 30, 2002 Nebraska

I understand your condition completely, others on "BA" can't or wouldn't. You need more beer like Custer needed more Indians. Its not about the beer, its about the buying!

Fargrow likes this.
  7. adventurtons

adventurtons Initiate (0) May 30, 2015 Connecticut

I don't like to often drink the same thing twice. Usually when I get a four of SoS, Gandhi, etc I just take one and trade off the others or give to friends. I'm in this mode now where there is so much to try and I want to try it all so I just to buy singles if possible or trade for them. Storing beers just isn't for me and I'd probably only do so to save for a future trade. Plus IPAs have a short shelf life.

8. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Crusader (730) Mar 19, 2012 California

Add me to this category. I'm definitely into the "feng shui" of beer. I have about one and half shelves dedicated to beer in my fridge in the garage. This is usually about 30-40 beers. At the moment, it's about 50-60 due a recent trips to San Diego and Seattle.

At most, I will keep a beer about 1 year (usually a FW).

9. Yargamo

Yargamo Initiate (0) Jun 9, 2015 New York

Why would you be 5 cases of SNPA? That's not shopping addiction...that is just plain XIUG*&^

FarmerTed likes this.
  10. ClavisAurea

ClavisAurea Initiate (0) Jul 4, 2008 New York

My beer "collection" is everything in my Gots (cellar) list plus about 150 bottles of varying size of homebrew. I definitely don't have a problem, IMO.

11. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (669) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Some of you... wow... All that good beer in your hoards slowly growing older, hops fading, and oxidizing. You do a disservice to the beer. Yet another reason I don't trust many people's reviews on this site.

Exactly.

stickboy1125, FarmerTed and zid like this.
  12. Burkbom23

Burkbom23 Initiate (0) Mar 11, 2013 Connecticut

Why so much Sierra Nevada Pale ale? Not like its hard to find

FarmerTed likes this.
  13. MisSigsFan

MisSigsFan Initiate (0) Mar 2, 2013 California

I always tell myself I'm gonna stop buying bottles because I have too much as it is but I go ahead and buy more anyway. I've also gotten two trades in this past week and another few coming.

14. Jeffreysan

Jeffreysan Savant (912) Apr 12, 2013 Virginia
    Society

Just wait until your cellar hits one hundred bottles, two hundred, three hundred or more, like mine has. Your friends will think you're nuts, and you yourself will come to the realization, as I have, that "Shit! I've got a serious problem with buying beer."

Mburk likes this.
  15. ChangSing

ChangSing Initiate (177) May 5, 2013 Illinois
    Trader

I had a problem for a good stretch a couple years ago. A friend worked at Flossmoor Brewery, so she'd always tell me whenever they were doing a release. So i'd head down there and grab 3-4 of XYZ release. Then, Three Floyds is just 10 minutes away so I'd roll over there and I guess I just lucked out and every couple weeks it was Behemoth, then BA Behemoth etc. And, then the GI Sisters came out etc etc etc. So I had a good year where I kinda went insane.

I used to brin a couple bombers every week to my local bar and share it with people so I was at least able to burn through many bottles. New management hwoever is not too keen on people bringing in their own beer. Guess they want to make money and keep their license.

16. Fox82791

Fox82791 Devotee (462) Jun 20, 2014 New York

Couldn't agree more. If my palate wasn't used to world class brews I'd go broke wanting to try all of the different beers that my local stores offer seasonally or year round.

MA_hops and 5EKF like this.
  17. plutoniumpete

plutoniumpete Initiate (0) Oct 21, 2008 New Jersey

I remember starting my "cellar" in like 2008 buying two of everything so I could drink one and save one, and felt sad that it was only one case and why didn't I start saving beer sooner and why did I drink that KBS and not hold onto it blah blah blah. It never got out of control and maxed out around 8 cases of mostly bombers that sat in my dads basement so I wouldn't open them on a drunken night (like what I did with my CBS one night- WHY? WHY??). Had no problem dropping $100 a week on beer. But then between paying Boston living expenses and having a kid in 2012, that went right out the window. Drank most of the cellar and pared it down to about 3 cases, and in doing so realized not everything should be saved. Did a 2009-2014 KBS vert and realized you shouldn't let it go past 2 years for optimum flavor.

Back when it was at around 100 bottles I remember thinking "man, if they apocalypse ever happens, at least I'll have enough beer for a little while!"
    To those people who have over 300 bottles-I'm not calling you crazy (probably a bit jealous), but DAMN thats a lot of beer.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  18. 31Sam13

31Sam13 Initiate (0) Sep 29, 2014 New Hampshire

Yes...I certainly understand...however, the pleasure of consumption has not yet been taken over by the pleasure of purchase...I care what's in my glass first...my cellar second...though I understand the sentiment fully...

19. rugene

rugene Aspirant (293) Mar 2, 2015 Canada (QC)

I love to go buying some new beers, but always buy the same one, because i found out here in quebec that the best beer are expensive and there are not better than a lot of Unibroue beers that are always at a special price. But sometimes i make a exception to buy from new breweries but i am always checking out the reviews here before buying.

20. chcfan

chcfan Zealot (563) Oct 29, 2008 California

I was there for several years. Just recently stopped and really want to make a big dent to the old "cellar" (a cabinet, storage closet, and several cases) since I think I have aged many beers past their peak and I hate all the space they're taking up in my very small apartment. I really just want to get to the point where I only keep a few cases max worth of special stuff for tastings and what not and then rotate more often through everyday type beers.

bozodogbreath likes this.
  21. Greywulfken

Greywulfken Poo-Bah (5,443) Aug 25, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

I'm definitely addicting to the shopping, but I have no cellar, so I drink what I buy.
    For me, buying beer is like collecting, except I don't get to keep what I collect :rolling_eyes:

22. neurobot01

neurobot01 Defender (646) Jan 25, 2014 California

Another "yes" here, though I've forced myself to cut back a lot lately. I've got a 7.2 cu. ft. chest freezer full of bombers, a wine fridge full of small bottles, and about 1/4 of my regular fridge devoted to "on deck" stuff; not sure of the current count, but definitely in the hundreds. The scary part is, I committed (successfully) this year to cutting way back on purchasing, and I was still spending like $200/mo. I don't even want to know what I was dropping last year when I was just getting into the beer-hunting frenzy...

23. Hendry

Hendry Champion (829) Mar 8, 2013 Vermont

I've weaned myself off of regularly purchasing beer,and as mainly an IPA fan I've leaned towards a short supply of ultra fresh beers in the fridge. Too many choices of hoppy IPAs on hand leads to agonizing whether one should drink the freshest beer at it's peak of hoppy brilliance or drain the older ones first that are passing their prime.

24. Kevin67

Kevin67 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2015 Arkansas

It's easy to lose track. I'm not an impulsive person, nor do I have an addictive personality. I hate the word collection when referring to beer. Beer is for drinking, not collecting. We're not twelve, and these aren't baseball cards. That said, I have amassed 300+ bottles that I have not been able to drink, yet. There's just too much great beer out there, and not enough time in the day for drinking.

25. KurtE

KurtE Initiate (0) Nov 19, 2012 Illinois

I love beer shopping like the rest of you, but one problem I have NEVER had is an over stocked fridge! I have never said to myself: "hmmm do I have too much beer?"

26. laketang

laketang Poo-Bah (1,550) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

I was starting a beer celler,had a mere 6 bottles, all 22 or 25 oz bottles,average price 16 $ per bottle, I thought , im going to keep this 16 $ bottle( 2 beers for 8 bucks each) for one to two years, then what, drink it! . too much money per beer and too much time when there are plenty of delicious " drink now" beers, I was becoming too focused on what my next purchases were going to be, not for me, I stopped . now I buy what im drinking that week, and that's it .

27. hoagzzz

hoagzzz Initiate (0) Feb 28, 2014 Pennsylvania

Current inventory off the top of my head: 10 carton 077xx, 8 carton boat, 5 sucks, 1 surly furious, 1 Odell's IPA, 2 hoponious union, 2 12 ounce enjoy by 7-04, sixer or so of corona, 3 founders imperial stout, 5 Bigfoot, 1 stone old guRdian, 3 or 4 bp grunion, 7-10 odds and end singles. And every chance i get I shop for more!!!

28. Prince_Casual

Prince_Casual Disciple (356) Nov 3, 2012 District of Columbia
    Trader

This too will pass, when you are bummed many times over that you should have drank most of these brews sooner/fresh.

Also, if you drop out of the trading game, your priorities will become much more apparent than BA groupthink. My "cellar" is only sour/gueze/wild and barleywine (mostly cases of bigfoot). "Aging" stouts, especially barrel aged ones, has yet to improve the brews, for me.

29. fx20736

fx20736 Initiate (0) Mar 7, 2009 New York

I buy more beer than I drink. Buying beer is sooo exciting!

30. SaisonRichBiere

SaisonRichBiere Savant (963) Mar 23, 2011 Michigan

I thought I had a problem with about 50 bombers and 4 cases of beer in my cellar. Some of you guys make me feel like a novice...

Really though, I had to force myself to stop buying stuff, as I was physically running out of room and money. Very difficult to do. The breweries know what's up, and make it super difficult to pass up the seasonal and limited releases.

Come July 4th weekend, my brother and I are hosting a tasting party to hopefully put a big dent in what I've got...until the next limited stock arrives in stores.

31. Beer21

Beer21 Zealot (591) Oct 17, 2010 Florida

Hi my name is Ryan and I am a beer buying addict. I had a sinkhole in my house and during the construction I unwisely/wisely put in a temp controlled wine/beer closet (wife's decision). Well over the past year I have spent a lot of money trying to fill it. It is 20% wine and the rest is all beer. I am addicted to finding the good yearly releases to age. Lately been trying to score good magnums and such. Not sure what to do now that the cellar is full. Gotta start drinking more or build another cellar!

First world problems hey?

32. OGFGabv

OGFGabv Initiate (0) Apr 7, 2015 West Virginia

It's definitely problematic. I have lots of goodies in the fridge, hundreds of bottles in the cellar, 3 open trades, 2 boxes on the way from Craft Beer Kings, and 3 carboys full of homebrew that need kegged up soon. Oh yeah, and there's that bottle release event this Sunday that I just HAVE to get to. Oh well, the grass mowing can wait until next weekend...

Just a friendly tip to the guys out there that are wishing their wives would maybe lighten up a bit about your fascination with beer. Maybe even embrace your passion and take an interest for themselves... Be careful what you wish for! My wife, in most cases, is now my beer informant. She reads just about every publishing online, she clues me in on upcoming releases, what beers are dropping this week in our area, what's on tap or being tapped within a 60 mile radius, or where our next brewery road trip should be to. This week she was looking up flights to Portland! Don't get me wrong, it's a great thing that we share together. We have fun seeking out beers, trading beers, tasting beers, and have taken many, many, awesome brewery road trips together, creating memories we will cherish forever. I guess I am just saying, with both of us enjoying these things so much, there is no mediator. Neither of us wants to say "no". This can make it extra tough on the wallet.

By the way, the bottle release this Sunday? The one I mentioned early on? Yep. Totally discovered and calendared by my wife.

God, I love that woman.

JArt and interman like this.
  33. DegenErik

DegenErik Initiate (0) Apr 9, 2014 Serbia

Bought a Guinness Extra Stout and Kapuziner Weissbier today. Tomorrow planing to buy La Trappe Tripel and La Trappe Quadrupel (heard those were great), so I know how we all (Beeradicts) feel, but it's fine. As long as I'm not drunk all the time and drink and buy with pleasure and moderation, it's all good.

34. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

I will politely disagree. One can purchase and enjoy great beer, read about it, acquire a great knowledges and share with others and have no desire to stockpile/save.

turbotype likes this.
  35. 1ale_man

1ale_man Initiate (0) Apr 25, 2015 Texas

Hey! If I lived where some of you live, I'd be broke and divorced! Again! I'm lucky that I only have a few breweries to choose from. I mean good ones. Cheers and may your pocket books hold out!!

36. surfcaster

surfcaster Zealot (526) Apr 20, 2013 North Carolina
    Trader

Addicted to looking, trying, but not cellaring. Not more than a couple weeks required. My "cellar" are those gifts of big stouts that accumulate. Once a year while "surfcasting" i open them all and share after a day of tight lines. Right now will open some KBS/Black note/Sexual Chocolate, Big Bad Baptist, Resolute, BCBS, Mexican Cake and what ever else shows up in the next few months and not think twice about it.

And then it will start again.

To each their own.

37. OneBeertoRTA

OneBeertoRTA Initiate (0) Jan 2, 2010 California

I've been buying more and more directly from the breweries. Yes, Noble you are making world class IPAs.

38. TonyLema1

TonyLema1 Poo-Bah (1,932) Nov 19, 2008 South Carolina
    Society

I felt that my beer purchasing was getting out of hand, so I no longer buy most oktoberfests, winter beers, pumpkin ales, reds/ambers and I'm almost weaned completely off of bombers, save what I have cellared...I think I'm sticking with IPA/DIPAs, Hefes, Stouts/Porters and Tripels...for now

39. Skagnetti

Skagnetti Aspirant (234) Dec 6, 2013 Colorado

I go a day without buying beer and start getting excited, telling myself that I'm going to go a whole week without buying any. Then 10 minutes later I'm at one of my favorite bottle shops buying 2-3 bombers before I even realize what I'm doing. Oh well, I guess it's cool that I made it a day.:sunglasses:

40. neenerzig

neenerzig Poo-Bah (2,798) Feb 15, 2006 Ohio
    Society

I also sometimes buy more than I have any realistic intention or ability to drink in a reasonable amount of time. it is just that those bottles look so cool and I know that what they contain inside will likely be awesome! :slight_smile: Bottles can sit in my fridge or basement for months sometimes without being drank.

Eric

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.