Addicted to buying

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mmmbeerNY, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,200) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Not so much the shopping but the trying. I have a couple of bars that I will go to when they have stuff I haven't had. When the work day is shit, I am there. I came to the same realization as the OP. Usually I have a handful of IPA's laying around, but it has gotten out of hand. Since I determined I must always have either Lagunitas Sucks or Lil Sumpin laying around I haven't put much of a dent in them. So working on the stash, mainly because I am bleeding out of my beer fridge into the secondary beer fridge and my wife won't allow anyone in my office anymore due to cases of beer on the floor. Shit sometimes I look around and feel like one of those hoarders that they do tv specials about. Imagine it walking around some dudes house with boxes of beer lined up with a trail and he's going "Yes that was a very good IPA back in 2010, I bought a case of it and had a few then moved on, scared to open it because it might be ruined and that would break my heart so I just leave it here".

havron, dgmirelli and monkeybeerbelly like this.
  2. Celtics76

Celtics76 Crusader (785) Sep 5, 2011 Rhode Island

I'm actually the exact opposite of most of you. I hate keeping a large stock of beer, as I like to drink most everything fresh. If I have more than 10-15 beers in stock, I tend to get anxious about it, especially if I have time sensitive beers like IPAs.

I've never understood people cellaring hundreds of beers, especially if some of those are IPAs and pales ales.

I have 3 beers I'm "saving" - 2013 and 2014 Anchor Christmas and a 2014 BC Barleywine. I do plan on drinking them at some point and not letting them rot.

3. interman

interman Initiate (0) Aug 5, 2010 Norway

Just throw a party and get rid of some stuff.

4. Karnivool1

Karnivool1 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 Illinois
    Deactivated

I definitely buy more than I drink! It is no doubt a "rush" hunting down and purchasing new beers, but I can't keep up with my buying addiction.

5. Thirstygoat

Thirstygoat Defender (643) Nov 22, 2012 Illinois
    Trader

6. OldManMetal

OldManMetal Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2015 North Carolina

I keep a close watch on this cellar of mine... I walk the line.

(And it's a bitch, because I'm like a kid in a candy store every time I step into a bottle shop.)

7. Jmorey

Jmorey Initiate (0) Feb 10, 2015 Michigan

I know I have responded before but part of my problem is I was buying a lot of single and bombers, then I would buy a few singles of the same because I knew it was good. Then I started just getting 4/6 packs because something was good and I knew I wouldn't just be able to go and buy it again (things that are limited releases) and now moved towards buying multiple packs.

8. matcris

matcris Meyvn (1,171) Sep 17, 2015 Arizona

The impulse to buy, buy, and buy some more is definitely there. I'm kind of proud and impressed with myself for remaining in semi-control.

OldManMetal and Trautwein09 like this.
  9. Seanem44

Seanem44 Initiate (0) Mar 18, 2014 Virginia

Black Friday was an expensive weekend. Not just for BCBS, but I found so much other good beer. Close to $300 worth. Which in all honesty will last me the better part of the year.

NanookinTexas likes this.
  10. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (515) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

Yeah, I am addicted to shopping for beer. :/
    It's now beyond - what am I buying to drink?
    It's, "what am I buying to drink, to send to my beer buddies, to store in my basement cellar, to trade?"

11. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

I'm ridiculous with this, I shop for beer every week and maybe a few times week. Nothing beats strolling a beer aisle. Cheers

12. MacMalt

MacMalt Poo-Bah (5,633) Jan 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Society Trader

It makes me feel better knowing I'm not the only beer shopping addict. I tend to buy it faster than I drink it. At least I don't "stock up" as much as I used to.

13. JimmyShaker1

JimmyShaker1 Initiate (0) Nov 12, 2015 Illinois

I love to shop for beer. Many times it's the hunt. Black Friday cost me about $600. But even yesterday I walked into a store and found a 4pk of Oskar death by coconut that I really wanted and there it was!

NanookinTexas likes this.
  14. JackRWatkins

JackRWatkins Crusader (734) Nov 3, 2014 Georgia
    Trader

100% I definitely collect more than I drink and put a higher priority on it

15. hophugger

hophugger Poo-Bah (2,454) Mar 5, 2014 Virginia
    Society

Sorry you couldn't find anything good. LOL, jk

16. Irishace9

Irishace9 Devotee (428) Sep 7, 2012 Illinois

17. yesterdayfaraway

yesterdayfaraway Initiate (0) May 21, 2015 Missouri

I'm right there with you on this.

NanookinTexas, Nate52 and CJNAPS like this.
  18. MadeInTheMitten

MadeInTheMitten Initiate (0) Mar 3, 2015 Michigan

I'm right there with Celtic.. I hate having too much beer. Besides my "cellar",(top closet rack, with about seven beers) I'll keep a mix-six'er in the fridge to drink through the week. If I had a beer fridge tho, I would probably stock up a bit more. Or if I didn't have the kiddo or the wifey around :wink:

19. heffdawg

heffdawg Initiate (0) Sep 9, 2015 Iowa

For sure! trying to cut back as i was spending a lot of $. just don't want to miss out on anything awesome i guess and there's new stuff available every week.

Stoutofmymind, chrismann65 and Dan_K like this.
  20. CJNAPS

CJNAPS Initiate (0) Nov 3, 2013 California

Yeah bro the struggle is real lol, there's always a beer we need right lol

21. DrDemento456

DrDemento456 Poo-Bah (5,027) May 15, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

God I hate reading these forms with all the beer hoarders (sorry cellar beer advocates) that have all this tasty beer just sitting around for another day. Me? Just buy what I can drink in the NOW and if I run out go get some more.

Edit: As for the "hunt" its not hard to find new TICKS but with almost 3,000 beers under my belt its definitely hard to find new and exciting brews. Get about maybe a 12 pack of new brews looking over my local HOUSE of 1,000 BEERS.

22. Kaz_DemonKnight

Kaz_DemonKnight Initiate (0) Jul 8, 2014 Illinois

I spend way too much money on beer. I have to have a well stocked fridge all the time because I like options, I don't stop at the bar after work, and I generally like trying new things because it keeps things interesting and I don't get tired. I generally drink all my stock so I am not hoarding beer. In fact, I cant even keep a beer to age it. I'll most likely crack it way before.

foundersfan1 and bbtkd like this.
  23. Dansac

Dansac Initiate (158) Dec 6, 2014 California
    Trader

Yep I am ruining my economy.

24. SILVER

SILVER Initiate (196) Jan 3, 2007 Florida

Count me in also. I fit the profile of several posters here.

OldManMetal likes this.
  25. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,102) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

I had trimmed down to under 200 bottles in cellar for a while there. Now over 300. Hey it isn't my fault my area got deluged by BCBS this year, and other fine barrel aged stouts and fine IPA's too. Don't even want to mention my beer bill for the last three weeks. It will make me cry.

Of course having 2 cases of Divided by Zero in the fridge is hardly a bad thing.

26. emount91

emount91 Initiate (0) Aug 28, 2015 Connecticut

yeaaaaah im guilty of this, addicted to the hunt, not the product :/

NanookinTexas, bbtkd and bigjsempire like this.
  27. CapCollector16

CapCollector16 Initiate (0) Jan 6, 2015 Ohio

I'm just puzzled on why the one guy had 144 Sierra Nevada Pale Ale's in his fridge lol

28. Donco

Donco Devotee (486) Aug 12, 2013 Pennsylvania

Sorry, can't reply to this thread...I have to go out and buy the latest releases...:wink:

29. clerkpalmer

clerkpalmer Initiate (0) Jan 17, 2014 Pennsylvania

My problem is I buy too much hoppy stuff. Way more than I can drink. Then I buy more fresh stuff and the old stuff sits. I can't stop though. It's definitely an addiction. My wife says at least I buy more than I can drink rather than vice Versa.

30. pat61

pat61 Initiate (0) Dec 29, 2010 Minnesota

I lightened up a little on my hoarding when I started getting stuff go stale on me.

OldManMetal and NanookinTexas like this.
  31. vfgccp

vfgccp Poo-Bah (3,954) Oct 28, 2010 New York
    Society Trader

Absolutely.

32. tillmac62

tillmac62 Poo-Bah (1,830) Oct 2, 2013 South Carolina
    Society

33. ryanhooks81

ryanhooks81 Initiate (0) Dec 3, 2014 Georgia

maybe...it sure is expensive sometimes

34. SRBush1974

SRBush1974 Initiate (0) Apr 18, 2015 New Jersey

There is always something new to try and buy. I was fine with keeping the buying in check until I started trading and joining BIF's. Now I know when to stop because my wife throws the gauntlet down.

But I have plenty to drink!

35. Prager62

Prager62 Poo-Bah (2,380) May 7, 2010 Colorado
    Society Trader

And not just beer......:wink:

NanookinTexas and cavedave like this.
  36. RLVineh

RLVineh Initiate (124) Jun 21, 2014 California
    Trader

I think we all have that issue here, you are not alone. I seem to buy 2 for every beer i drink

bbtkd likes this.
  37. bigjsempire

bigjsempire Initiate (50) Nov 1, 2014 Illinois

No I'm not addicted to hunting down good beers or jumping on new releases. Say's the guy who's typical week looks like this:

Monday-Check local store for anything new in stock
    Tuesday-Check local store for anything new in stock
    Wednesday-Check local store for anything new in stock
    Thursday--Check local store for anything new in stock
    Friday-Check local store for anything new in stock
    Saturday-Check local store for anything new in stock
    Sunday-Day of rest...jk check local store for anything new in stock

Next Week-Repeat!

Not really the case, but I would say that I know my local bottle shops and breweries well enough to know who is working what shifts and typical vendor drop off days. And I get antsy when new limited releases are coming to the area.

Most things are good in moderation, you just have to take a step back sometimes.

38. Ranbot

Ranbot Defender (668) Nov 27, 2006 Pennsylvania

Agreed and good for you! I have a small cellar, but it's limited to between 20-30 bottles and certainly not anything hop-forward.

I had some Anchor Christmas vintages ('06, '07 and '09, I think) that I had been sitting on for some reason, and I decided it was time to get them out of my cellar. They were drinkable, but oxidation was apparent and certainly didn't improve them....not worth the wait, IMO. I recommend you drink yours now with the '15 Anchor Christmas to compare before oxidation really sets in.

39. TriggerFingers

TriggerFingers Initiate (0) Apr 29, 2012 California

Uhh....for poker night with 12-15 of his buddies....duh

Wolfhead and ebin6 like this.
  40. DEdesings57

DEdesings57 Crusader (724) Aug 26, 2012 New Jersey
    Trader

Guilty on all accounts!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.