Addicted to buying

Discussion in 'Beer Talk' started by mmmbeerNY, Jun 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mabermud

mabermud Initiate (0) Dec 13, 2006 Washington

I used to be addicted to this, but not anymore. You probably couldn't even call it addiction. I just wanted.

2. DrMindbender

DrMindbender Savant (926) Jul 13, 2014 South Carolina

I don't buy much beer, maybe a 12 pack a month...but I brew around 20 gallons a month for personal (me/wife/friends). Buying beer is kinda boring to me after having so many different beers over the years and it's tough to find anything new in my area that is actually worth buying. When I travel, I always pick up local beers, but only enough for my trip unless there's something rare and worth packing.

I DO have an addiction to homebrewing though! I brew about 5 gallons every week and am in the process of setting up my 2nd kegerator for sours, brett beers, wild yeast brews and meads/ciders. I get so much more satisfaction brewing and drinking killer brews that I actually want to drink or clones of hard to get brews, instead of whatever shelf turds the local shops carry. And I can brew 5 gallons for less than $25 instead of 1 whale bomber for $25!

3. fearfactory

fearfactory Aspirant (296) Aug 12, 2012 Massachusetts

Yearned? I crave, I crave all the time. But I don't think I've ever yearned?

gillagorilla, szmnnl99 and richobrien like this.
  4. bozodogbreath

bozodogbreath Disciple (367) Oct 19, 2006 Indiana
    Trader

Hi. I am BozoDogBreath. I have a beer buying problem. It started out slowly... I used to just have it stacked up in a closet. Now I have a "basement cellar." It sounds better that way.

cavedave and Karnivool1 like this.
  5. donspublic

donspublic Poo-Bah (2,200) Aug 4, 2014 Texas
    Society Trader

Drive to Tulsa last week
    1. plan trip around liquor store in North Dallas that has 4 beers I want. Stop and buy 3 of the 4 in 4 packs plus a bomber, now stuck in traffic trying to get out of Dallas, daughter bitching at me
    2. hit up bottle store in Tulsa, show great restraint, only get a bottle of Prairie Christmas Bomb, Aun Mas Chili Jesus and a 4 pack of wooden rooster (which I already have a ton of at home), call it a day
    3. next night it is 22 degrees, walking thru downtown tulsa and it is drizzling, go back to bottle store and grab a 4 pack of Roughtail Hoptometrist, because I just had it at a bar and said, man I need to take that home with me
    4. Arrive in Louisiana and buy a 6 pack of Abita Grapefruit IPA to drink over the weekend. Wife is like what is all that beer in the box for if you can't drink it now. I said it is for special occasions, I would be hammered in less than an hour if I got into that box and started drinking.
    So 6 months later and my behaviour hasn't changed....

chrismann65 likes this.
  6. njcraftguy

njcraftguy Zealot (547) Apr 6, 2015 New Jersey

I def over-buy. If I see something I really like or that's hard to find I pick it up no matter how many beers I already have. I just took a 45 minute trip to a bottle shop over the weekend even though my fridge ( both of them ) are stuffed to the point that I had to put a few on my front porch until I make room. One reason I do this is I believe the " you must drink it fresh " thing is totally over blown so letting beers sit - yes even IPA's - is fine with me. I keep telling myself I'm going to stop and drink my stash down but then something new or interesting comes out and forget that.

7. flaskman

flaskman Initiate (0) Aug 3, 2015 New York

I am right there with you guys. I hit the beer section, pull out my phone and check out everything for ratings. If its a good one I buy 2 or 3. I can spend an hour and a half in a good beer store. My beer shelves are so jammed I can't tell whats there anymore. I looked through the back and found 2 bottles of Hill Farmstead from 2 years ago that I had totally forgotten about. My son and I are planning a New England run in April so I need to do something. Better start drinking. I guess I could have worse problems :-)

hoptheology likes this.
  8. laketang

laketang Poo-Bah (1,550) Mar 22, 2015 Arizona
    Society

I buy more than I need all the time, so if that is addiction, i'm in!

9. Himself

Himself Initiate (0) May 20, 2014 Massachusetts

Guilty....... I work at a bottle shop and I have the beer buyers at a couple close stores email me lists of new arrivals so I can cherry pick what I want before it hits the shelves, including seasonal allocations. Even though I may have a fridge full of beer and cases aging in my wine cellar I just can't seem to stop buying the new fresh IPAs or the rare BA Stouts.

chrismann65 likes this.
  10. fredmugs

fredmugs Initiate (0) Aug 11, 2012 Indiana
    Deactivated

I was under 300 bottles. Now well over 400. Damn you stout season.

11. Immortale25

Immortale25 Poo-Bah (3,437) May 13, 2011 North Carolina
    Society Trader

I've been trying to do this more lately too. When I buy bombers and singles, I have a tendency to burn through them more quickly because I'm like "Ooh, new flavor." When I buy packs of things I tend to drink slower and relax on the same flavor rather than rush on to the next thing.

12. Kevin67

Kevin67 Initiate (0) Feb 8, 2015 Arkansas

Well, I totally went over the edge and back since my first post. By the first of August, after my trip out west, I was up to 522 bottles, with a lot of multiples. I realized that I'd never have time to drink everything I'd hoarded, so I took a proactive approach. Over the next month, I tried all of the new beers I had purchased on my trip, plus I've had/went to fourteen bottle shares during the last few months. During August and September, I also started to part out the extras that I wasn't as fond of, and quit buying so many multiples. I still buy, but I've just curbed the buying of so many multiples. I have drank one heck of a lot, too. I'm happy to say that I'm currently down to 'just' 185 bottles. Since I'm off until the 4th, I plan on knocking that total down to under 150. :wink:

13. Bdubbsyall

Bdubbsyall Initiate (67) Aug 13, 2014 Illinois

Since I have to save money for my upcoming wedding I have made a valiant attempt to curb my beer purchasing/hoarding. I have failed so far.

14. Dan_K

Dan_K Zealot (515) Nov 8, 2013 Colorado
    Trader

I think my biggest problem is not necessarily that I have too much beer. It's that the beer I'm buying is expensive. Case in point, I bought 9 bottles of beer this past weekend, but the average price per bottle was close to $17.

chrismann65 and richobrien like this.
  15. gmoneyproductions

gmoneyproductions Initiate (0) Aug 12, 2015 Colorado

in the words of former president Bill Clinton
    "i feel your pain, i really do"
    i hit my local bottle shop after work on friday
    i was there for over an hour scouring the shelves
    i am finding i dont like to buy 4pks or 6 pks anymore because i quickly get bored(unless it is something really stellar)
    and i am always on the hunt for new beers
    as such i am buying a lot of bombers and single 12 and 16 oz bottles and cans
    i have a new beer fridge arriving tomorrow so i suspect this will only feed the shopping habit even more
    cant wait!

16. LennyOvies

LennyOvies Initiate (0) Jul 22, 2015 Mexico

Guilty, I love scanning the shelves.

Even though I don't have many beers at home. When I have more than 10 bottles at home I start to feel I'm hoarding too much and I drink most of them during the next week before any other purchases (I know, I'm sure many of you are laughing at that amount).

17. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,931) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I love shopping for beer, but I think I'm gonna drink down most of my stash before I go out again to purchase a bunch. Here or there I may pick up 2-3 bottles, but making room feels good.

chrismann65 likes this.
  18. bub72ck

bub72ck Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2010 Virginia

I keep 30 beers on hand at a low and between 70-80 after stocking up. Most of the 30 are the ones I am cellaring. I usually drink 5-7 beers per week and will buy between 4-10 at a time so I'm typically always buying as much or more than I consume.

19. westcoastbeergeek

westcoastbeergeek Initiate (0) Sep 16, 2015 Canada (BC)

I over bought initially to build up a cellar and to play around with again, verticals, etc. Now that I have a respectable cellar, I buy less and enjoy the fruits of my investments. Also a space issue has made me slow down.

20. HuskyHawk

HuskyHawk Initiate (0) Jun 5, 2014 Massachusetts

I have been trying to limit consumption for calorie reasons mostly. The problem I have is that when I come across something I am not going to find again soon, I have to get it then. This happens whenever I go to Vermont for example. But if I see Wormtown Be Hoppy I grab it, because I might miss the next run. Really Old Brown Dog aged in bourbon barrels? Gotta grab that. Grimm Artisan bourbon barrel stout in MA stores? Buy. Apine Nelson? Never seen that here before...buy. Kiwi Rising is out!...buy, drink buy again. Night Shift Whirpool and Awake I can only find at one distant store and then rarely...three four packs bought.

I have no problem passing up anything that is generally available. But I've passed up too many limited releases and hard to find beers to make that mistake again. If I need to give it away, I do that.

DrStiffington likes this.
  21. kalosjakar

kalosjakar Initiate (0) May 5, 2014 Rhode Island

I couldn't agree more. I buy something almost everyday. If its a 4/6-pack I'll immediately put 2 of them in my cellar. If its a single bomber I just put it straight in my cellar and forget about it. I am literally running out of things to try from the Liquor store near my work, and they have a great selection.

It's becoming more and more of a "problem" :slight_frown:

22. SudsDoctor

SudsDoctor Defender (673) Nov 23, 2008 New York
    Society

I'm skinflint-ish at heart, which keeps me from out-of-control spending and hoarding. Good thing, as I don't have room to store much beer anyway. That said, I really look forward to shopping when my modest stashes gets low. And, my most recent purchases — the Monday after Black Friday (2 ea. of BCBS and BCBBW), and this past Fri. & Sat.—totaled ~$220, the most I've ever spent in that short a time. Oh well, it fits in my limited "cellar" space. :wink:

23. Dave1999

Dave1999 Meyvn (1,009) Dec 5, 2011 North Carolina

You can get almost all those beers at a local grocery store!

NorthCoastPranqster likes this.
  24. vileplume

vileplume Initiate (0) Sep 27, 2015 Arizona

beer, beer everywhere and not a drop to drink

jvgoor3786, jssf and OldManMetal like this.
  25. StoutElk_92

StoutElk_92 Poo-Bah (3,264) Oct 30, 2015 Massachusetts
    Society

I love going to a craft beer shop and looking at all the great beer to choose from. The hard time comes when I realize I can only get so many. I like to have some stocked up for backup, and since I don't drink many at a time I usually have something on reserve for when I feel like drinking it. If I had more money I might have a problem, but I since I can only get so much I don't have a problem with overbuying. I try to choose what I feel like having and what I may not be able to get at every store in the near future. I do very much enjoy beer shopping, but probably not as much as drinking the beer.

26. Beersnake1

Beersnake1 Poo-Bah (3,982) Aug 17, 2013 California
    Moderator Society Trader

I had a major problem with this. My family has always been into collecting, so I naturally got the bug. Ran my cellar up to 600 bottles, and now I have it under control (the buying, not the cellar!). I don't want to die with beer sitting in my basement, so I am drinking it down!

KBS likes this.
  27. cyclonece09

cyclonece09 Poo-Bah (2,494) Aug 5, 2008 Wisconsin
    Society

I think I have gotten better since moving to Maryland, where most areas do not allow alcohol sales in grocery stores, but now when I go to a beer store I seem to leave with a box.

28. DrStiffington

DrStiffington Poo-Bah (1,839) Oct 27, 2010 New Jersey
    Society

I really love perusing beer store selections, but I do wish a bunch of new and/or awesome releases didn't come out every single week. Then my stock of beer increases too much and since I only drink weekends, I have to be suuuuuuper choosy about which ones I pick to drink. Too many good choices and some hoppy beers end up sitting for too long! It's a real problem!

jrnyc likes this.
  29. stevebrownsteve

stevebrownsteve Initiate (85) Mar 28, 2015 New Jersey
    Trader

I live in an apartment, so I rarely have more than two crisper drawers stocked. But lately, that means I go beer shopping every day. Regardless of what's in the crispers. Three different types of Other Half cans, Grimm Tesseract, two BCBS... not good enough, I need to buy this growler of Money IPA for tonight so I can save that stuff. Still better than going to city priced bars every day, I tell myself. Cheers, you all.

30. hoptheology

hoptheology Poo-Bah (5,931) May 12, 2014 South Dakota
    Society Trader

^^^
    ...aaaaaand I take this back.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Today's haul. :rolling_eyes:

Toppling Goliath's Dorothy was on sale for $4.95/six pack. I couldn't resist. And without nothing to do tonight, I hopped across the border into Iowa and grabbed some Bell's stouts. :grinning::grinning::grimacing:

Cthulhusquid likes this.
  31. BeeHoppy860

BeeHoppy860 Initiate (0) Jul 28, 2015 New York

GUILTY GUILTY GUILTY

creepinjeeper likes this.
  32. HorseheadsHophead

HorseheadsHophead Poo-Bah (2,465) Sep 15, 2014 Colorado
    Society

I've been guilty of this as well. I used to limit myself to two hauls per month, but I've been buying beer every week lately, sometimes twice a week, because every week I find something new or something new is released, or a favorite seasonal returns. I've been meaning to dig more into Belgian beer again, but the sheer amount of IPAs and imperial stouts hitting the shelves lately have gotten me completely distracted.

creepinjeeper and DrStiffington like this.
  33. The_Snow_Bird

The_Snow_Bird Poo-Bah (1,826) May 7, 2015 Florida
    Society Trader

I like buying and drinking

DrStiffington likes this.
  34. woodchipper

woodchipper Poo-Bah (1,560) Oct 25, 2005 Connecticut
    Society Trader

People.... Isn't it so much fun though?

35. TempeBeerMan

TempeBeerMan Initiate (0) Nov 9, 2011 Arizona

Yup, add me to the list. This is totally my life. What's worse is...I am drinking it and with seasonals and special releases (I have decent contacts with stores so I am able to get my hands on most releases) I am STILL accumulating more than I am drinking. New Year's Eve helped a little in clearing out some bottles.

36. Rback

Rback Initiate (127) Feb 26, 2012 New York

No

37. Rback

Rback Initiate (127) Feb 26, 2012 New York

Yeah but you have that woman in your avatar so everything is good...Oh, what you have never met her ? Shit I'm sorry, I guess you do have a problem.

donspublic likes this.
  38. LFC_YNWA

LFC_YNWA Initiate (129) May 31, 2014 New Jersey

Yea thank goodness IPAs "don't age well" and are my preferred beer. I can rationalize that the beer can't sit there forever to prevent going nuts when buying stuff, especially the limited release stuff. Still have way more than I should though

I spent $200 at the OH release the other day :slight_frown:

39. Monkeyknife

Monkeyknife Poo-Bah (3,557) Jan 8, 2007 Missouri
    Society Trader

I buy more than I should but much less than what I want.

40. The_Kriek_Freak

The_Kriek_Freak Poo-Bah (2,444) Aug 18, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I have to control myself not to overdo it. I like to mix and match six packs of new beers so by default the lack of new beers is a limiting factor by itself sometimes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.