Adding Pictures for Beers and Places

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by Buckeye55, May 8, 2019.

1. Buckeye55

Buckeye55 Poo-Bah (3,184) Jan 11, 2019 North Carolina
    Society

I apologize as I'm sure this has been covered many times before, but I would like to add pictures for beers and places especially here in Central NC.

Dbrauneis, was kind enough to provide me the following. Thank you David

I always take pictures for beers in portrait orientation (longest side on the vertical) and pictures for places in landscape orientation (longest side on the horizontal). I usually zoom my photos to 1.7x as that seems to work best for me in the lighting I take my photos.

Next I go into the Photos application on my Mac and export the pictures (Export Unmodified Original) that I want to submit to the site to a well known location.

Then I open a browser to https://resizeyourimage.com, choose the file, rotate the orientation to be correct for the picture, adjust the width (150 for beers, 200 for places), adjust the height (300 for beers, 150 for places), zoom out/drag the picture until it fits nicely, and save the image.

Finally I go to the BeerAdvocate page for the beer or place I want to submit the photo, choose Beer Tools or Place Tools, choose Upload Photo, and choose the version saved using ResizeYourImage. Then upload and wait for a Site Editor to approve.

Cheers!
    David
    Site Editor

dbrauneis, Apr 23, 2019

I am pretty much a tech moron, and have tried following his instructions and failed miserably (I have a samsung instead of an iphone don't know if that has any thing to do with it).

Questions:
    Is this the easiest/only way to do this?

Is there a way to do it solely from your phone?

Again, sorry to waste y'alls time, but if an idiot proof way to add pics is available, I will be glad to do my part.

Cheers!

vabeerguy and Milktoast75 like this.
  2. scream

scream Meyvn (1,053) Dec 6, 2014 Wisconsin
    Society

try Imgur and then select the photo, copy and paste the available link

mickyge, kemoarps and Buckeye55 like this.
  3. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,429) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

This is the correct procedure to follow as long as you also make sure that the pic does not exceed 20Kb (which you didn't mention as a size criteria but I suspect you know that and didn't mention as an oversight).

In what way is it failing? Pointing to the pic where it's stored? Won't upload?

FBarber and Buckeye55 like this.
  4. thebeers

thebeers Poo-Bah (2,559) Sep 10, 2014 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

Resizeyourimage changed their set up so it no longer works on my phone. Could never figure out picresize. Just mentioning in case anyone has other suggestions (short of transferring photos to a computer.)

Buckeye55 likes this.
  5. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (1,547) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Trader

That is pretty much the "easiest" way to do it, unfortunately, as the process of uploading pictures is incredibly convoluted on this site. Once you've actually gotten the hang of it though, it's not that much of a big deal, you get used to it.

Where exactly during this process are you having trouble? If you can pin down the problem for us then we can probably help you overcome it.

This does not work for uploading pictures to the database, it's an entirely different procedure from posting pictures on the forums.

In my experience, the the maximum file size is actually 18kb, am I the only one experiencing this? I've started to use the "enhance picture quality" option of resizeyourimage recently and was never able to upload a picture with more than 18kb.

kemoarps and FBarber like this.
  6. chipawayboy

chipawayboy Devotee (422) Oct 26, 2007 Massachusetts
    Trader

dumb question - why is it so convoluted? I use the other beer tracking social media site and it's a snap. I'm assuming it's to conserve server storage space? i.e. by using hosting sites the native pic doesn't sit on BA servers? I'v'e loaded 500 pics over the last few years and every time it's an adventure using a free hosting site like tiny pic.

7. Buckeye55

Society

I was trying to use the resizeyourimage.com from my phone, which apparently was the issue

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  8. Buckeye55

Society

That's my issue, if I can't do it all on my phone, I probably won't go through the effort.

9. bbtkd

bbtkd Poo-Bah (2,480) Sep 20, 2015 South Dakota
    Society Trader

I shoot the pictures on my Samsung Note 8 phone, then from my camera app I share them to my Dropbox cloud service. I then go to my Windows 10 laptop and run PhotoScape, a free image editing package and;
    1. Open the image on Dropbox
    2. I adjust the rotation of the image if needed
    3. I crop the image to the specified ratio
    4. I adjust brightness if needed
    5. I resize the image to the exact required pixel dimensions
    6. I adjust the JPEG quality until the resulting size is within limits
    7. I save it to disk
    Then I go into the applicable beer or location page on BA and upload the image. This whole process takes me about two minutes on my laptop.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  10. bbtkd

Society Trader

Sounds like what you are talking about is your picture of the beer you drinking, not the "official" picture that BA allows us to upload to show what a beer or location looks like. Since these pictures are uploaded, BA has stringent resolution, ratio, and file size requirements for consistency and to keep the size reasonable.

When we post pictures of what we are drinking or have bought, those pictures need to be hosted somewhere, are not uploaded to BA, and don't have any image format restrictions since they aren't uploaded. That may change at some point.

You are totally correct regarding free hosting sites being a PITA. Since it's free, and they need money to operate, they often inflict size restrictions, show you advertising, limit how long you can retain the imagery, throttle downloads, etc. Also free sites seem to be down a lot more than paid sites, increase restrictions, and most eventually start charging or go out of business. No free lunch. That's why I pay for Dropbox, which I use for a number of things other than beer pictures.

#10 bbtkd, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    kemoarps, vabeerguy and PapaGoose03 like this.
  11. chipawayboy

Trader

On the other social media beer rating site the quality of the pics being uploaded by every Tom Dick and Harry is excellent — you’d never be able to tell that the BA restrictions have a noticeable difference in overall image quality. Gotta be $ motivated.

12. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (1,961) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

I imagine everyone has their own way of doing it and that it takes enough steps that seems nuts to do at first but that it eventually becomes easy. I feel like my way is more straight forward some but who knows...

• First, download Gimp (an open-source Photoshop-esque program).
    • Once you take a picture, open it with Gimp.
    • Scale the image to the size BA likes (150x300).
    • Save it as a jpg.
    • When you go to save it a box opens where you can tell it how big to make it (smaller than 20kb).
    • Upload it.
    Anyway, that's how I do it and at this point I think it takes under a minute.

The main issue for this method is that I can't do it all on my phone, the actual pic adjustment and upload is always on my laptop. Other than that, I feel like it is pretty easy.

bbtkd likes this.
  13. bbtkd

Society Trader

Just to be clear, are you talking the huge full-page images that folks post in the WBAYDN, NBS, and Beer Haul threads, which are hosted elsewhere? Or are you talking about the tiny uploaded pictures in the pages for beers or places, such as the ones below? The reason I ask is that you're describing the pictures as excellent, but with the upload restrictions the beer and places pics can't be called excellent.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/49734/314247/
    https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/49734/

14. chipawayboy

Trader

Talking about the fact that every photo loaded to BA requires third party server as apposed to the other beer related social media site that starts w a U which requires zero third party sites for loading pics.

15. PapaGoose03

PapaGoose03 Poo-Bah (2,429) May 30, 2005 Michigan
    Society

I probably should not have said 20Kb because I don't think I have been able to upload one with that number. My experience has been that if a pic is 19.5Kb, that number gets rounded upward to 20 which produces an error message from BA. So under 19.5 should work.

beersampler6 and TheDoctor like this.
  16. thebeers

Society Trader

Thanks. Gimp isn’t supported on iPhones.

17. TheDoctor

TheDoctor Poo-Bah (1,961) Mar 7, 2013 Quebec (Canada)
    Trader

It isn't supported on Android either. I have to use my computer regardless. I run Linux, but looking at their download site, it does work for OSX and Windows. The transfer from phone to laptop to BA is definitely the part that is still a PITA for me, but I've gotten to where I can do it pretty quickly.

thebeers likes this.
  18. Snowcrash000

Trader

I've tried to upload pictures with file sizes between 18kb and 19kb on numerous occasions and never managed to do so successfully. I always get an error message saying that the file size is too large. Only under 18kb seems to work for me, weird...

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  19. thebeers

Society Trader

Honestly, the system I used before was cumbersome enough:

• Take photo on phone.
    • Edit photo on phone by rotating 90 degrees, saving, then rotating 270 degrees back to original and saving again. (If I didn’t edit photo myself before resizing, BA’s auto system wouldn’t usually accept photo. Not sure why.)
    • Then select 150x300 on resizeyourimage.
    • Then zoom in or out at least twice before cropping to that size. (If I didn’t do that, BA’s auto system wouldn’t usually accept the photo. Not sure why.)
    • Then save to my phone.
    • Then upload. If I followed those steps, BA would accept 90% of time. If it didn’t, start over and it usually would accept on second or third try doing the exact same thing. For a handful of attempts, though, I just gave up.
    That system worked for over 100 photos, because even though it was clunky, at least I could just tool around on my phone. Downloading photos to my computer is asking too much for me.

#19 thebeers, May 8, 2019
    Last edited: May 8, 2019
    TheDoctor likes this.
  20. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,175) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

There are two different parts of the site where photos are involved and they are getting combined/confused - for the forums, the photos have to be hosted by a 3rd party site... for the photos of the beers/places, the photos are hosted on BA with specific size restrictions (which have not changed in a very long time).

bbtkd and chipawayboy like this.
  21. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

It has to do with the file size vs. the size on disk - they are not always equal.

PapaGoose03 likes this.
  22. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

It should be noted that I was not providing the definitive instructions on how to do this but rather what works for me :slight_smile:

Buckeye55 and FBarber like this.
  23. Milktoast75

Milktoast75 Devotee (451) Oct 27, 2012 Wisconsin
    Society

From the FAQ section of BA:

How do I upload an image?
    The functionality is dated, and the requirements are very specific. We're working on making the entire process much easier. In the meantime, on the upload page you'll notice that images must be an exact width and height with a max file size that's quite small. We recommend using an online resource like: http://webresizer.com/resizer/ to quickly crop, resize and compress your image.

My highlight of “ . . much easier” sentence.
    I so very glad to see this topic being discussed. I have all but given up on posting photos to WBAYDN and beer haul. The frustration really takes the fun out of sharing.
    I’ve recently tried using imgur and think I may have gotten it to work. Is there a time lag between posting pic and seeing appear on site? I never know if it actually worked. I will continue to practice.
    Any chance with all the new changes on BA website that this issue may be addressed? Here’s hoping.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  24. Buckeye55

Society

BA's
    Thanks for your assistance and input. It looks like it still requires using both my phone and pc, and I doubt I'll do that. My 20 year old son will be home from college this week and he might be able to teach his retard dad. If an easier process comes through, I will use it regularly. I've got a bunch of places around here I could take pictures of.
    Cheers!

PapaGoose03 and Milktoast75 like this.
  25. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

Again, the part you quote is about supplying the "official" pictures for a Beer or a Place not posting pictures in the forums.

26. Milktoast75

Society

Yup.
    I do understand the distinction between them.
    I should have made that clear in my post.
    I am still working on posting to the non Beer or A Place.

27. dbrauneis

Moderator Society Trader

Just wanted to make sure that you are aware the section of the FAQ that you quoted does not pertain to the Forums.

If you have tried the new BA Beer app, you can see a whole different way to post pictures of beers that are neither for the official beer/place photo or the fourms.

Milktoast75 likes this.
  28. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (6,622) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Buckeye55 and PapaGoose03 like this.
  29. Buckeye55

Society

SUCCESS, This worked. Thanks to everyone who tried to help this hopeless retard. Bitterbill finally came up with the idiot proof, all done on the phone method that this old dumbass could use

30. Milktoast75

Society

I have used the app to rate beer but have not tried posting pics yet.
    My problem is posting to forums. I think I have the issue resolved using Imgur.
    I do appreciate your help. Thanks.

31. Bitterbill

Society Trader

I'm glad to be of assistance.

Buckeye55 likes this.
  32. elliot23

elliot23 Initiate (109) Jan 27, 2009 Montana

This is EXACTLY why BeerAdvocate is dying. Uploading an image should never be this hard.

33. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (1,833) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Trader

Craig walked me thru Imjur, and if I can do it anyone can. Lots of steps but with some practice it’s fairly straight forward.

PapaGoose03, beertunes and Buckeye55 like this.
  34. Bitterbill

Society Trader

Dying? What?

FBarber, mickyge and Buckeye55 like this.
  35. Todd

Todd Founder (5,578) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew

Yes. Making the uploading of images easier is being addressed. It's one of the core new features with the app, which is currently in beta testing. And we're exploring solutions for being able to embed images uploaded via the app in the forums.
    I must have missed the memo. We're not dying. But if we were, being able to upload an image certainly wouldn't be the exact reason why. And see above.

FBarber, mickyge, PapaGoose03 and 4 others like this.
  36. nc41

Trader

Photobucket was a disaster, no shot at figuring that one out, but imjur was much easier. It makes a difference which app you use.

Bitterbill, PapaGoose03 and beertunes like this.
  37. Milktoast75

Society

Thanks for the reply Todd. I consider myself tech capable but have really struggled with posting pics to the forums. I have successfully uploaded a pic to the beer ratings so it’s not totally hopeless. I’ve played around with Imgur and can’t quite get it but will continue to try.

Todd likes this.
  38. bbtkd

Society Trader

Will users who do everything via web be able to upload images also? Any idea of the size limitation and retention time yet? Will we still have the option to link to an image hosting service?

39. nc41

Trader

Please don’t stop me from using imjur, I’d hate to start over again, I’m so not this kinda stuff.

Bitterbill and Milktoast75 like this.
  40. Snowcrash000

Trader

Will you be simplifying the process for desktop users as well?