Adding the beer's style to its name

Discussion in 'BeerAdvocate Talk' started by woodychandler, May 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. woodychandler

woodychandler Poo-Bah (11,034) Apr 9, 2004 Pennsylvania
    Society Trader

I understand moving collaborators' brewery's names to Notes & that is helpful, given that a brewery's name is not to be a part of its beer's name. Fair dinkum.

BUT, why CAN't style be a part of the name? Redundancy? Perhaps.

F'rinsCANce: "XYZ IPA" with Style as "AmeriCAN IPA". Okay, I'm down with just "XYZ" as its name.

OTOH, using Two Bandits BC's "Black Shadow" ( https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/48639/354440/?ba=woodychandler#review ) as a VERY recent example, the label on the CAN in the approved pic clearly reads: "Black Shadow Chocolate Milk Stout". What is the harm in a full name? Plus it is currently mis-identified, as a result, as an AmeriCAN Stout when the brewery is calling it a Milk Stout! Are we seCANd-guessing the breweries now or is it simply a case of not enough info?

One of the best SuppOs for whom I worked advised me, "In Logistics, Petty Officer ChANdler, nobody is getting dunned for TOO MUCH information. It is when TOO LITTLE is provided that the trouble begins."

This site, at base, is all about logistics. I feel that it needs to be more forthcoming in its naming policy with an eye towards more is more, not less is more.

J/S w/my $0.02.

2. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (5,411) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

I try to see how the brewery writes it out. Sometimes they do intend it to be part of the name, and sometimes it’s just to clarify what style it is. Reading a brewery’s description often helps, as is looking at the packaging. Sometimes, it’s just a shot in the dark. Nothing says that the style CANNOT be part of the name, as far as I know.

3. woodychandler

Society Trader

Fair dinkum, but CAN you address my example?

hottenot and Amendm like this.
  4. tone77

tone77 Poo-Bah (6,303) May 20, 2009 Pennsylvania
    Society

If the person adding the beer never drank it, I can see where they could get the beer style wrong.

Bitterbill, hottenot and Amendm like this.
  5. JamFuel

JamFuel Poo-Bah (5,411) Mar 26, 2009 Sweden
    Moderator Society

Looking at the can, I would not say that the style is part of the name. They’re not connected, to me. The description on their website is:

”Black Shadow CMS Stout: Rich, dark chocolate notes blend with a subtle hint of roasted coffee to form a creamy finish. The flavors are smooth and decadent, making this an easy-drinking dessert-style stout.”

So that’s a third way of naming it. Either one is as correct as the other one, I guess, but I prefer simplicity, personally. As far as style goes, there are numerous reasons for missing it, be it lack of info, or erroneous info or just a plain mistake. But that’s what the Suggest Edit functuon is for.

6. Todd

Todd Founder (5,962) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

If the style is part of the actual beer name, add it. If it's not, don't.

7. Amendm

Amendm Defender (695) Jun 7, 2018 Rhode Island
    Society

I grabbed a 4x16 of Friar Bock from Lops Brewing in scenic Woonsocket RI yesterday, haven't tried it yet but looking at the one rating it appears that the member who added this beer is calling it Dunkelwiesen.

Now with the word Bock in the title.....

Maybe I can try one tonight and decide what style I think it is.

Prost.

8. hottenot

hottenot Disciple (334) Aug 13, 2018 North Carolina
    Society

Yuengling Lager.
    Michelob Lager.

Cheers Beer Naming Guy!

woodychandler and Amendm like this.
  9. Snowcrash000

Snowcrash000 Poo-Bah (2,765) Oct 4, 2017 Germany
    Moderator Society Trader

For simplicity's sake, and to avoid overly long and convoluted beer names, the general policy as I understand it has always been to only include style descriptors if they are clearly an inseparable part of the beer name, as in Golden Pilsner or Eric's IPA.

If a style descriptor is clearly separated from the beer name, as in Woody's example if you look up a picture of the label, it is not considered part of the beer name.

10. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,149) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

Sounds like you're in an Aussie mood. Streuth.

Amendm likes this.
  11. Bitterbill

Bitterbill Poo-Bah (7,149) Sep 14, 2002 Wyoming
    Society Trader

I don't know. Seeing the name Black Shadow tells me nothing aboot the beer. Porter, Stout, Barrel aged of either...?
    Seeing Chocolate Milk Stout might entice me more to buy it than if I just saw Black Shadow. Shrugs.

woodychandler, tone77 and Amendm like this.
  12. woodychandler

Society Trader

^^^^^^ Precisement my point! Stop being afraid to have the style as part of the name!

Bitterbill likes this.
  13. dbrauneis

dbrauneis Poo-Bah (8,855) Dec 8, 2007 North Carolina
    Moderator Society Trader

I don't fear having the style as a part of the name of the beer if it is actually a part of the name of the beer... Otherwise that kind of information can be added to the Notes section with a simple Update request.

I agree that knowing the style is important BUT the style is listed on almost every label though it is generally not a part of the name of the beer (this can often be verified by checking the website for the brewer and seeing what they call the beer there...).

Jaycase, Todd, bluejacket74 and 2 others like this.
  14. Todd

Todd Founder (5,962) Aug 23, 1996 California
    Staff Moderator Fest Crew Society

Like I said...If the style is part of the actual beer name, add it. If it's not, don't.

Locking this one down now.

Thanks.

bsp77 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.