Advice on damaged shipment

Discussion in 'Trade Talk' started by danh53, Mar 19, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. danh53

danh53 Initiate (0) Dec 28, 2014 Florida

My shipment was returned from the final delivery truck to the facility for inspection two days in a row. Now it shows "damaged - handling per shipper instructions." Is there any hope for this box?

2. ShanePB

ShanePB Poo-Bah (2,011) Sep 6, 2010 Pennsylvania
    Society

If it's FedEx, you have a high probability that they'll discard the broken items and ship back the rest to you.

3. ryhouse

ryhouse Initiate (180) Oct 28, 2010 Florida

Just had this happen with UPS yesterday. They said my package was damaged, what remained was re-packed and is being shipped back to me.

4. dutesanch

dutesanch Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 California

The fact that anything is being returned is pretty lucky. The packages I've had damaged were all discarded.

5. ryhouse

Got my box back today and UPS had completely repacked it. They put it in another box, wrote "fragile glass handle with care" on it and put all my bottles inside of a big clear plastic bag. I thought that was pretty nice of them. Of course the bottle the trade was centered around was the one that broke but better than a total loss.

How did you fare?

6. danh53

Fedex said they were returning it, but now it has been "on fedex vehicle for delivery" since Saturday morning.

7. Malefactor

Malefactor Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2014 Oregon

I am currently waiting on a box to be returned, today was a week since it got broken on the truck for delivery like 15 miles from the destination on the other side of the country. In peoples experience with returned packages, what is the turn around time generally between the reported damage and the packages arrival back to your possession?

8. danh53

Just received mine back today. 2 out of 8 bottles were missing. Another was leaking slightly from the cap. It was exactly one week from the day they were reported damaged, but they only had to go from Virginia back to Florida.

9. dutesanch

dutesanch Initiate (0) Apr 22, 2014 California

Advice I got from a fellow trader. "bomb proof the box" bagging every bottle and even double boxing. Shipping a bigger box is cheaper than replacing the beer and shipping twice.

10. lincolnbeard

lincolnbeard Initiate (0) Dec 12, 2010 California

I always go with the "Drop Test". If you're afraid to drop / throw the box around then you need to pack it better.

Also, NEVER EVER put Fragile (sticker or written) on the box. By doing this you are challenging the shipping company to a game of "lets see what I can do to break this".

source: worked shipping / receiving for 12 years and got to know the little nuances with shipping.

11. danh53

That is correct. I always pad the sides of the box with thick bubble wrap and then wrap the bottles themselves is thin bubble wrap adding extra packing material until there is nothing shaking inside the box. In previous shipments, I also added extra padding between each wrapped bottle and placed each bottle in a gallon zip lock bag. After safely receiving a couple shipments that weren't packed as well, I thought I might be going overboard so I left out the extra padding and used a trash bag instead of the zip locks. Lesson learned. Lost $45 of good beer.

kemoarps and creepinjeeper like this.
  12. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,100) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

Tape caps, individually plastic bag bottles, wrap bottles in bubble wrap, if possible use styro or cardboard to separate bubble wrapped bottles from each other, put in box tightly packed with protection, wrap box in thick plastic bag, put this box into another box with thick packing between inner box and walls of outer box. If you aren't doing this you risk what happened to folks in this thread will happen to you.

kemoarps, creepinjeeper and UcDru like this.
  13. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

First time I shipped I was stupid enough to ask the kind lady if I should mark it fragile. The UPS lady ACTUALLY TOLD ME THE SAME THING. Drivers, warehouse workers - they take it as a challenge to see if they CAN break it!!! FWIW, I have been going to the same lady each time. Nice as can be, never asks what's in the package.

I haven't shipped a ton of stuff, just a few bifs and like a trade, but I've been lucky enough to follow the lead of some excellent veteran shippers. I have basically STOLEN the shipping MO of @cavedave (sorry for stealing your packaging patent man, but that package was seriously bomb proof and leak proof!)

kemoarps and creepinjeeper like this.
  14. cavedave

cavedave Poo-Bah (3,100) Mar 12, 2009 New York
    Society Trader

To me, the extra moments and material it takes to do it more than make up for the hassle and cost involved in a broken bottle(s)/destroyed package scenario. Even better, all the material I use, even the tape, is from the material stream at the Recycle Center I manage. Reuse is better than recycle.

kemoarps, creepinjeeper and gopens44 like this.
  15. montman

montman Devotee (433) Mar 10, 2009 Virginia
    Trader

Ugh having my first damaged box situation today, not even sure if FedEx is returning any of it or not. Made it from VA to San Diego fine, then damaged on delivery day. Bummer.

16. ryhouse

That's what happened to me. The box got to Cleveland and was out for delivery, then it wasn't. It took a day or so for the tracking to say it was going to be returned after repackaging. I had everything bubble wrapped, ziplocked, sides had double cardboard and I used packing paper too. The only thing I can think of is a beer exploded. I just re-sent the box and made sure to tape the caps and then put the bottles inside of a garbage bag and then wrap that bag with the heavy plastic bag UPS used. I guess it's up to the people handling the package if they feel like salvaging the box. Sounds like some do it and some don't. When I talked to UPS they didn't mention the contents of the box they just said it damaged then refused by the customer (which it wasn't) and would be returned.

17. tommyz

tommyz Initiate (0) May 28, 2007 Michigan

I always do that and dont have problems except once in Orlando years ago...I bomb proof my box obviously, but I dont have problems...We recieve "fragile" Items at my work a ton and dont have problems either...

18. rightcoast7

rightcoast7 Disciple (385) Apr 2, 2011 Maine
    Trader

One of the most important aspects of packing that I think is underrated is to pack the box TIGHTLY using a bunch of paper/bubble wrap/styro/cardboard between bottles and around the sides. Your beer should not be able to move at all when you shake it. If you do that, you can get away with a wide variety of different packing materials/methods...there really isn't one magic way to do it, but as long as you pack tight and pad well, you'll be good.

19. skiofpinsk

skiofpinsk Aspirant (229) Jun 18, 2008 Pennsylvania

The drop test is exactly how I gauge whether I've packed well enough. If I feel totally comfortable dropping the box and possibly kicking it around (not that I do), then it's good to go.

creepinjeeper and mhenson42 like this.
  20. montman

Trader

So FedEx packaged up my damaged box and returned it to me (sender) only missing the one bottle that broke. The part I found interesting was they wrote a note saying "you need an adult signature required label to ship alcohol."

21. kgncfl

kgncfl Aspirant (208) Dec 24, 2013 Washington

I got the same comment when a box of mine was discovered with alcohol. I wonder if it is a policy shift.

22. Malefactor

Malefactor Initiate (0) Sep 26, 2014 Oregon

Wish this had been my outcome. Shortly after my post above I called the "northwest rep" from fedex that called me when my package was initially marked damaged. The first conversation he said they were returning the contents, but when I made the follow up call they had "opted to destroy the package as was within their rights". I got my letter from the fedex legal department shortly thereafter.

23. montman

Trader

Ah bummer. Well I also was wondering if it was some sort of possible policy change, but I guess they are just inconsistent.

24. nc41

nc41 Poo-Bah (2,771) Sep 25, 2008 North Carolina
    Society Trader

Use bigger boxes or ship less beer. I opt for more packing vs trying to drown the guy in Xtras. The first priority are the main trade bottles being safe. Dave first post is right on the money or the text book way to do it, you could add a double box if it's a rare or hard to get beer.

JavaNoire likes this.
  25. KevinZ2301

KevinZ2301 Initiate (104) Jan 22, 2014 North Carolina

So I just got this update on a beer shipment that I sent out Tuesday via Fedex.

" Returning package to shipper: Damaged in transit - Unable to deliver shipment - Returning to shipper"

The package was 5 bottles and 1 can all sealed in ziplock bags and put in a six bottle Styro Shipper. I am not sure how I could package it any better. I have no idea how this could have happened. This is now the second package in three months where this has happened to me. After the first time I was worried that they would inspect all of my packages but I now have sent dozen of shipments since. I do put fragile stickers on the box and pasta in the box. Does that draw attention to it?

Has anyone else recently had FedEx do this? Any advise ? I have three more boxes going out this week and now afraid to ship them......

26. cal1207

cal1207 Initiate (0) Oct 29, 2013 California

Just had this happen to me. Box was on truck for delivery, damage exception by driver is put on shipping status and now my box has been "destroyed". Was originally told it will be shipped back to me but after calling fedex several times I was told my box has been destroyed. I've never had a bottle break on yet alone 7 in one shipment. 3 weeks later here I am shit out of luck and sending a replacement box tomorrow. Wish i was lucky enough to get what wasn't "damaged" sent back to me.

27. warrendietrich2001

warrendietrich2001 Crusader (716) Feb 13, 2013 Nevada
    Trader

i got the dreaded email today from UPS packaged damaged. Weird as it was supposed to be delivered on Friday, than delayed for weather in Colorado. Made it to Vegas on Saturday and today was out for delivery. Than a notice it was damaged. I am confident that my driver did not pay any attention to the box as she delivers to my house almost every day and sometimes I help her so she does not need to leave the truck. Now I am curious to find out what happened from out for deliver to damaged box.

28. DeweyCheatem-n-Howe

DeweyCheatem-n-Howe Initiate (0) May 23, 2015 Massachusetts

FWIW, I got that notification from FedEx today and called and asked them to deliver it anyways. They said OK, it'll get delivered tomorrow, and my recipient will just let me know what survived and I'll replace anything that didn't.

29. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

You are not the only one to learn and use the wise ways of @cavedave , @gopens44 . Back when I was a BA "grasshopper" and practiced shipping on family; I posted how I packed and @cavedave , for the umpteenth time in these threads, patiently posted his tips and advice. Needless to say, I am grateful and believe my trading partners are grateful also.
    Some will say it's overkill, or that I am overthinking it, or that it takes too much time ... etc. The way I see it is this: I treat each bottle as if it is irreplaceable. If you have to replace a bottle, then you have to find and reship said bottle. I think that is a little less cost effective to you and lot more aggravating to you and your trade partner than a little more packing weight or dimension to your package. I also have to trust the shipping company to bring these bottles to said trade partner but I don't trust them to 100% repack and reship if something breaks. They're "not supposed to ship alcohol". It can go either way, so I try to eliminate the odds of having to find out.
    @cavedave was also correct about dropping it from six to ten feet. If you're afraid to do it, then you need to rethink your packing. I don't think he ever mentioned kicking it down a flight of stairs, though :rolling_eyes:.

kemoarps, cavedave and gopens44 like this.
  30. gopens44

gopens44 Poo-Bah (2,423) Aug 9, 2010 Virginia
    Society Trader

You are very correct on all points. I can't imagine not taking the time and effort to bombproof the shipment, as you are very correct - why not do it right the first time so you don't risk having to do it all again? That may actually become my only worthwhile point of advice to new shippers - TAKE YOUR TIME PACKAGING! The worst thing that can happen from overpacking is that you just helped another BA with their packaging material stash!!

On a side note, I really dug the wine bottle shipper that @kemoarps used to send me beer, and it WILL get passed along to another BA at some point in time!

cavedave, kemoarps and creepinjeeper like this.
  31. creepinjeeper

creepinjeeper Initiate (0) Nov 8, 2012 Missouri

Thanks and you are correct, sir. I feel like we owe it to our trading partners to get this right.

cavedave and gopens44 like this.
  32. Codyiii420

Codyiii420 Initiate (43) Mar 15, 2011 Wisconsin

Glad I found this post, virgin shipper here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.